What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"IN WANE WE TRUST" ................ Shaun Wane that is.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
My only issue with Bennett is that he's not really setting the world alight with a very very good roster at Souths. They have it all, great forwards, speed to burn, origin hooker, gf winning halfback. They should be entrenched in the top 4 for mine, not fighting for the 8.
Appreciate where your coming from FCD, but I feel Souths are at least 2 good forwards short to have a decent crack at the title. Haven’t been the same since they got rid of Ben Teo, and now with the 2 best Burgesses gone they’re still light in that area. Still never underestimate Bennett team come the Semifinals.

TruSaint

Referee
@Coffs dragon .. thx mate

Shaun Wane retains NRL ambitions despite signing extended England contract

Shaun Wane: "When I left Wigan there were two things I was desperate to do: coach England and coach in the NRL. That desire is still there."

Last Updated: 16/08/20 11:19pm

Ut_HKthATH4eww8X4xMDoxOjBzMTt2bJ_5069482.jpg
2:36

That time span would see the 55-year-old coach his country at next year's World Cup on home soil but he is already looking to the future, despite the coronavirus pandemic causing the cancellation of this autumn's Ashes series with Australia.

skysports-shaun-wane-england_4937126.jpg

Shaun Wane was named England head coach in February but is yet to take charge of a competitive fixture
"When I left Wigan there were two things I was desperate to do: coach England and coach in the NRL. That desire is still there," he told Sky Sports as he watched Sunday's Super League double-header in St Helens.

"I've got the England job and I'm so happy, I'm living the dream for a proud Englishman. I'm really happy and I'm going to see it out but one day I really want to go to the NRL.

"I know I can do something there and I want to prove myself and it's something I'm desperate to do. But at the moment I'm just enjoying Super League games and making sure that we get the England players firing."

As for whether he could combine coaching duties with England and an NRL side - as his predecessor Wayne Bennett did - Wane insisted that was unlikely.

"I've never had that conversation with anybody and I don't foresee it happening. I've not really thought about that," he added.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-lea...ons-despite-signing-extended-england-contract

denis preston

First Grade
Craig Fitzgibbon Should never ever coach the Dragons, he is a Rooster for life, Dean Young would be my Choice a thousand years ahead of CF!
Dean Young needs to be Patient, Shaun Wane must be our next coach, then Dean Young!
Oh by the way, when big peckers intervene.....?

I'm intrigued SG. Why do you feel it so important that Young coaches SGI ? Surely he can't claim the job by being a Dragon for life and get no outside experience where his surname accounts for zilch ?

St Georgio

Juniors
I'm intrigued SG. Why do you feel it so important that Young coaches SGI ? Surely he can't claim the job by being a Dragon for life and get no outside experience where his surname accounts for zilch ?
I have the opinion that at some point Dean Young will coach the dragons, its like black and white, being part of the club for such as long time.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
So what would you call Robinson and Holbrook? Average coaches due to their ESL background?

Putting Robinson aside, what has Holbrook done at NRL level that’s extraordinary? Granted the Titans have improved, but that could turn to pot very quickly.

Robinson has been fortunate to benefit from the Chooks’ sombrero....no sorry...salary cap.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Putting Robinson aside, what has Holbrook done at NRL level that’s extraordinary? Granted the Titans have improved, but that could turn to pot very quickly.

Robinson has been fortunate to benefit from the Chooks’ sombrero....no sorry...salary cap.

Robinson started a dynasty.

He inherited a good side, but they weren't complete. Besides, the Roosters structures are lightyears from what they used to be. Listen to the way he talks about footy... It's brilliant. They are a beautiful side to watch and it's all because of him.
Perfect example, their C-side wiped the floor with us a few rounds ago. That's the sign of an elite system at work and a winning attitude planted deep into the roots of the club.

On Holbrook, that's a spoon-level squad he's coaching at the moment and he's got them firing and competing with the top teams. Not to mention some of the recruitments he's made in the last few months. You can see a huge change in the player's attitude.

Mjab

Juniors
Correct. Bennett comes in, bing bang boom, 3 brilliant years. Bennett goes and the next 9 years are like a turd stuck at the bottom of the crapper

Sort of agree there but do Bennett 1 year 2021 and maybe then Fitzgibbon with Bennett Director of coaching??

It will be interesting hopefully and not terrifying who we actually end up with but at least all of these options are better than more of the peanut

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Didn’t Benny get them to a Prelim?? Then big boy Tinkler farked everything

Correct, but if you asked the average Newcastle fan what their recollections were during that short period (besides the odd monosyllabic grunt), I don’t think their memories are pleasant.

rasaint

Juniors
Some fellow posters disagree with my statement that good players make good coaches; great players make great coaches.

Top coaches such as Bennett, Hasler, Maguire, even Gibson tanked when the great players were injured or the club was in sufficiently financial or influential to have a strong roster.

OK Price was our coach after Bennett and the $ cupboard was bare. To win in 2010 we brought back Gaz from overseas on back loaded big $$$ contract to make the push after the club bowed out in the semi finals miserably. We began losing players 2011.

Price inherited a cap mess. Darius followed Bennett to the Knights 2012 who also splashed out on Joey Leulia mid season to get into the semis but then it all flopped from there. Price lost that Balmain fullback and then Tried Kyle Stanley but he blew out his knee again ( gee he had talent). Somewhere around 14/15 Mulholland came in but hey cap mess with Dan Hunt our marquee player. We were hoping a big prop nick named the’Butcher’ would be a smoky as undiscovered talent.

Robo and Bellamy haven’t gone to other NRL clubs. They are comfortable with the pleasant familiar of rich clubs with corporate backing and in Melbournes case reported largest 3rd party deals to retain champion players.

By all means get Bennett, Whane etc or Robo or Bellamy but you need the cattle.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Some fellow posters disagree with my statement that good players make good coaches; great players make great coaches.

Top coaches such as Bennett, Hasler, Maguire, even Gibson tanked when the great players were injured or the club was in sufficiently financial or influential to have a strong roster.

OK Price was our coach after Bennett and the $ cupboard was bare. To win in 2010 we brought back Gaz from overseas on back loaded big $$$ contract to make the push after the club bowed out in the semi finals miserably. We began losing players 2011.

Price inherited a cap mess. Darius followed Bennett to the Knights 2012 who also splashed out on Joey Leulia mid season to get into the semis but then it all flopped from there. Price lost that Balmain fullback and then Tried Kyle Stanley but he blew out his knee again ( gee he had talent). Somewhere around 14/15 Mulholland came in but hey cap mess with Dan Hunt our marquee player. We were hoping a big prop nick named the’Butcher’ would be a smoky as undiscovered talent.

Robo and Bellamy haven’t gone to other NRL clubs. They are comfortable with the pleasant familiar of rich clubs with corporate backing and in Melbournes case reported largest 3rd party deals to retain champion players.

By all means get Bennett, Whane etc or Robo or Bellamy but you need the cattle.

I didn’t think BJ Leulia played for Newcastle. Perhaps you’re confused with the legendary Keith Leulia?

I think often wonder how Price would’ve fared with some extra key luminaries, especially Boyd. I’m pretty certain I read somewhere that he actually agreed to extend his stay until Bennett pulled the pin. Who knows whether there was any truth to it? I think it’s a pretty safe bet, though, that if Price has succeeded there wouldn’t have been stampede to the exit door once McGregor took over in 2014.

Last edited:

redVinme

Bench
Joey (“BJ”) Leulia never played for Newcastle? Perhaps you’re confused with the legendary Keith Leulia?

I think often wonder how Price would’ve fared with some extra key luminaries, especially Boyd. I’m pretty certain I read somewhere that he actually agreed to extend his stay until Bennett pulled the pin. Who knows whether there was any truth to it? I think it’s a pretty safe bet, though, that if Price has succeeded there wouldn’t have been stampede to the exit door once McGregor took over in 2014.

Bro pretty sure bj played at least 50 games for newy.

redVinme

Bench
Well bugger me sideways, you’re 100%! correct. It’s funny that I have vivid recollections of him playing for the Chooks and Canberra, but no memory in between.

Well I hope we all have fond memories of him playing for the chooks!

Maybe he just didn't do anything quite so dumb while playing for Newcastle haha.

Latest posts