What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Presidents Cup & Sydney Shield

Honeti Tuha has signed with Windsor for 2021

Heard Guildford are out for 2021 with most of their players heading to Windsor as they want to continue playing together

rightleftin

Juniors
Honeti Tuha has signed with Windsor for 2021

Heard Guildford are out for 2021 with most of their players heading to Windsor as they want to continue playing together

With so many clubs appearing to have no funds there may be a struggle to find enough clubs unless a number of Country clubs play again. I recall one year in the early 90's Wenty Leagues found that previous annual accounts had contained a $1 million overstatement of profits. That was a lot of money in those days. The club did not pull out but they didnt win a game in either grade. Not long after they were back to signing everybody available.

Going back further, in 1965 Penrith had recruited a decent side, won the minor premiership and then went out with consecutive losses in the finals. Come the time for the players picnic and payment of bonuses and a young winger named Roger Cowan finds he is the only member of the football club commitee attending. It turns out that somehow the Leagues Club made no money that season and the players would only get 50%. Roger became CEO of the Leagues club, a job held for about 50 years, the club made stacks of money and 20 guys who had or would later play 1st grader, were recruited for the important 1966 season, and the guys were paid their other 50% for 1965.

They struggled a bit during the rounds, winning 9 out of 14 to finish equal 3rd but then beat Arncliffe, Cronulla and finally Wenty in the Grand Final. Alan Clarkson reviewed their game against Arncliffe for the SMH and concluded they were all past their best. While Jack Sinclair and Tony Brown, who both played for Australia, were certainly past their peak, Bob Landers, who had played for NSW, was in the middle of a career that saw him become the 3rd player in the history of 1st grade to score more than 1,000 points. Also Bill McCall played every game in 1st grade in the following season and Tom Wilson played all but one game, Barry Harris, another who had played for NSW, played 15 games in 1967 while Wal Crust made 37 top grade appearances over the next 3 years. Throw in Bruce Ranier and Easts Stalwart, Doug Ricketson and it is clear that this was the strongest 2nd tier side ever to take the field.

Last edited:

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
Saturday results:

PRESIDENTS CUP
Thirroul 18 Hills 12 - live stream can be watched back at facebook.com/NSWRL
Maitland 58 Hills 4

SHIELD
Hills 42 Cronulla-Caringbah 16

rightleftin

Juniors
Saturday results:

PRESIDENTS CUP
Thirroul 18 Hills 12 - live stream can be watched back at facebook.com/NSWRL
Maitland 58 Hills 4

SHIELD
Hills 42 Cronulla-Caringbah 16

The game at Cronulla was delayed 25 minutes until it was certain that the camera man would not be arriving. Unfortunately many of the NSWRL reports must be written by people not at the grounds as they rely on the faulty times recorded in the computer system. In reality the teams traded tries in the opening 25 minutes and CC led 10-8 but at this point, Manumaleelii, who was virtually the one of the few positives in the CC attack, surrendered to a hamstring injury and Hills started to get on top. This is the best Hills side since they made the GF as a standalone side and Shannon Gardiner tore through the CC defence at will in the 2nd half, and in combination with Maile Li, set Meredith up for 4 tries.

The win for Thirroul opens up the Presidents Cup table a bit but the question remains can anyone stop Maitland, who put the Western Rams to the sword yesterday.

rightleftin

Juniors
Interesting to see John Olive on the Glebe team sheet with zero points. I thought you needed 50 1st grade games to be a marquee.

Interesting to see John Olive on the Glebe team sheet with zero points. I thought you needed 50 1st grade games to be a marquee.
I think you will find they have relaxed the rules a little bit this season.

Daniel Harrison is Hills marquee and he is listed as two points. I was informed marquees are now worth two points.

Also announced in todays Daily Telegraph that Mick Potter will be coaching Mounties NSW Cup team next season. Officially linked to the Bulldogs.

Nqcowboy

Juniors
Are the western rams a group 10 rep team, seems a little unfair playing them against club sides like thiroull

rightleftin

Juniors
Are the western rams a group 10 rep team, seems a little unfair playing them against club sides like thiroull

Western Rams covers groups 10, 11 & 14 but they dont have any players from Dubbo CYMS, who are playing as a separate entity. As you say, not up to the standard of the Sydney and illawarra clubs and a huge gap to Maitland. They couldnt even match it with Dubbo but the NSWRL was looking for teams to get a comp up in 2020 and they put their hand up. They are yet to play Wenty who have their worst side for quite some time so they still have a chance to notch a win.

Nqcowboy

Juniors
I would have thought a rep side made of several “conferences” would smash a club side like thirroul or Maitland and even a Ron Massey side like glebe

rightleftin

Juniors
I would have thought a rep side made of several “conferences” would smash a club side like thirroul or Maitland and even a Ron Massey side like glebe

No mate, Ron Massey has strong teams and the top Newcastle and Illawarra teams are also strong.

There are no Open Country championships anymore they play under 23's and most of those players are only Sydney Shield standard, which is the comp where the Ron Massey reserve teams play against some standalone clubs.

When the Country Championships was open the top 4 teams - Newcastle, Illawarra, Central Coast and Canberra had their own comp and all the other zones would play in a 2nd division.

Maitland beat Western Rams 58-4 on Saturday.

rightleftin

Juniors
Glebe has added Brock Gray to its extended squad. with 95 games in NSW Cup over the last 5 years, he could be handy over the next 6 weeks.

W.Smith

Juniors
I went to the Dubbo Cyms/Glebe game on sunday in Dubbo and it was cracking game as the score would indicate and it was great seeing some of the former NSW Cup/NRL players running around for Glebe espcially a bloke ive always liked big Wes Lolo who looks in great condition

Matt Stimson, the Wolves second roweer was very good too as was Sitiveni Moceidrake who pretty much just quarterbacked hios team around without bother

I was at the Cyms/Wests game the previous week at Wollongong and it was a pretty good game given the torrential conditions after the previous week watching Cyms flog the Western Rams who are lacking experience fielding a team full of young blokes with Harry Sjeika as skipper and i doubt theyll win a game

i just love the Presidents Cup format and i hope NSWRL are willing to give it another go next season though i wouldnt have the Rams in it and would possibly look at another big Country club to fill their void

Looking forward this week to Thiroull hosting Maitland on Saturday and again to next week when Cyms will host Wenty one of my old favourite junior league/A Grade clubs at home in Dubbo

Maitland/North Sydney is my likely GF pick if i had to make one but Go Cyms/Wests and Butchers

rightleftin

Juniors
I’d prefer to see the Canterbury cup back

The Presidents Cup is an alternative to Ron Massey Cup. NSW Cup will be back next year, so North Sydney would not be part of Presidents Cup but there may be a few more RMC teams and it all depends whether Illawarra and Newcastle run amateur comps again in 2021. If so, some clubs will not want their top sides in such comps.

rightleftin

Juniors
I went to the Dubbo Cyms/Glebe game on sunday in Dubbo and it was cracking game as the score would indicate and it was great seeing some of the former NSW Cup/NRL players running around for Glebe espcially a bloke ive always liked big Wes Lolo who looks in great condition

Maitland/North Sydney is my likely GF pick if i had to make one but Go Cyms/Wests and Butchers

Wes Lolo has racked up 106 games in NSW Cup, so the Glebe pair of Lolo and Gray have more than 200 between them. I dont know that they will play long enough to break the record. They first have to go past Harlan Alaalatoa who played 150 (only 1 in NRL) and it is a lot further to Andrew Pearn's 200 plus games (none in NRL). Pearn finished in SS with Wenty and Alaalatoa's last season in Oz was also in SS with the then standalone Hills side.

Butts74

Juniors
You’d think all the boys that hills have signed will more then likely leave after this year and play elsewhere. Think they were just looking for a game of footy.

IMO

Juniors
Chris Yates should get an early start with Windsor after Narellan pulled out of group 6 1st grade.

Broncos93

Juniors
From the NSWRL website re: recommendations for community sport to cease:

"Along with other sports, we have:-

- Ceased activities that result in the mixing of participants and staff from different regions, for example zone, regional or state championships;"

Anyone know what that will mean for the competition?

Hunter, Central West, Wollongong and Greater Sydney all represented .. hard to see how they can get by given that commitment from NSWRL?

Latest posts