What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 15 Vs Broncos

Thanks OT. I could not work out why they bought Mann. It was if they recognised that he was a good player, but failed to gave any thought to what position he would fill.
What's worse is they never gave him any game time so how would they ever find out how he would best serve the Team?
The number of times he was left pondering his future on the bench was terrible.
Often came on for less than 10 minutes and a few times (if I am not mistaken) did not get to play at all.

Funny how some only want to barely dip their toe in the water despite calling for change.

Change in many minds was supposed to be coach, playing style and selections and obviously they are disappointed whilst others just wanted the coach gone and can’t see past that.

There is no way on this earth that Young should be even remotely auditioning for any kind of head coaching job.

If that is the case then all the change we have called for is just more smoke & mirrors and the club should get no praise and deserves only further criticism.

The lack of clarity around coaching is a huge issue for players and fan base and should be resolved forthwith.

The only logical reason for not blooding some young players as of right now is that the new coach is known, not yet announced, not to be announced before season end and that may mean post SOO and as such that person has asked pretty much for the status quo and already has his hands on the levers.

All those running off renewing memberships singing sings of joy could just as quickly be tearing them up again knowing how our BOD treats its member base.
Getting rid of McGregor after nearly 7 years is akin to "shutting the gate after the horse has bolted".
The damage has already been done on so many fronts.
I agree that Young has no qualifications as a head coach and has shown very little potential as an assistant coach as well.
Still don't understand why Hornby was singled out and turfed and not Young as well and yet here we are.
His one and only point of reference in terms of mentoring has been McGregor and the coaching philosophy which has failed so spectacularly.
So membership on hold until a top line coach is installed with a clear and uninterrupted mandate to lead the team forward.

Crush

Coach
With all respect to your hyperbole and views Crush

...Ramsey & Feagai need to be blooded ASAP if we’re to be serious about correcting our longterm centres/outer backs weaknesses.

There’s no sense in the ‘loyalty’ thing with Aitken.

I don’t subscribe to the reticence in selecting juniors who are ready - because they might ‘drop passes’ or ‘shit the bed’.

& I don’t know that too many of our juniors would’ve appreciated a couple of your remarks Crush?

- and it’s been a hard slog for us all to get to this point in bringing about Club change and renewal
... and you’ve been a great contributor.

But career beginnings have to be made somewhere, and I posited the inclusion only of 2 new attacking options to improve backline attack heading into 2021

Quite logical I thought - for both the Club & Deano

The ‘let’s see what happens’ is a well worn mantra at our Club that smacks of a failed conservatism generally,
and especially in bringing juniors (especially outside backs) through over the last 5 years
- for mateship reasons I’ve hammered incessantly.

And we do seem to have finally won the Lafai/Aitken argument I’d say?

Anyway, Ramsey at 20, tall & 82kg, under 20’s Player of The Year, Nine’s Team of The Tournament

.... ‘played against men’ in February quite admirably

... & is, I would suggest, now ready to debut in these crucial 6 weeks of opportunity, with our finals prospects finished
according to Webb?

Sailor’s already blooded, but Max Feagai, at 19 & 98kg, is the attacking beast we need alongside Zac,

....representing at several levels
....with all the attacking, defensive & ball skills we need
- and who, I think, will not be ‘shitting’ himself too often?

Zac & Duff got through their initiations despite McSacked’s disastrous impact on their initial confidence

.... and look at the payback.

(BTW Our entrenched conservative (and journeyman) selection culture almost lost them both)
Can someone send the Club the Jack Gibson coaching manual lol?

With regard to Deano?
...well good luck, but I’d thought the jury was out on what the Club truly needed

Go Dragons!!

Now we can
”start playing like StGeorge”
...as Bennett said to our troops at half time in 2010
I think Young is trying to win games of football.
It is what it is. Surely we can look at it and all say that we would do the same in his position.
"Blooding" new players for 2021 and beyond now is high risk if winning is your objective.
Its obviously less affected in a normal comp with reserve grade competitions being played.
Do you think we should leave Tyson Frizell out for the rest of the year now because he has signed on with another club for next season?
Should all bottom 6 teams now throw in their juniors, drop anyone leaving the club and look purely to next year?
Its professional sport and is about winning. Win more games get more sponsorship etc.
I just think Dean should get a few weeks to do his thing before criticism is thrown around.
You never know, maybe he gets the best out of Norman, Aitken? Maybe he doesn't. We will know in a few weeks.

Old Timer

Coach
I think Young is trying to win games of football.
It is what it is. Surely we can look at it and all say that we would do the same in his position.
"Blooding" new players for 2021 and beyond now is high risk if winning is your objective.
Its obviously less affected in a normal comp with reserve grade competitions being played.
Do you think we should leave Tyson Frizell out for the rest of the year now because he has signed on with another club for next season?
Should all bottom 6 teams now throw in their juniors, drop anyone leaving the club and look purely to next year?
Its professional sport and is about winning. Win more games get more sponsorship etc.
I just think Dean should get a few weeks to do his thing before criticism is thrown around.
You never know, maybe he gets the best out of Norman, Aitken? Maybe he doesn't. We will know in a few weeks.
Let’s see if we can do the work for their new coaches by unlocking the key to Aitken & Frizzell being better players and whilst doing that try and convince / fool ourselves again over the value / potential of Norman and all the while learn absolutely nothing about their prospective replacements.

No need to worry about Dragon footy when Dragon philosophy is alive and well and of course the rest will look after itself.

Crush

Coach
Let’s see if we can do the work for their new coaches by unlocking the key to Aitken & Frizzell being better players and whilst doing that try and convince / fool ourselves again over the value / potential of Norman and all the while learn absolutely nothing about their prospective replacements.

No need to worry about Dragon footy when Dragon philosophy is alive and well and of course the rest will look after itself.
So would you drop Frizell for the rest of this season?
Should the Broncos drop David Fafita seeing as he wont be there next season?

Old Timer

Coach
If
So would you drop Frizell for the rest of this season?
Should the Broncos drop David Fafita seeing as he wont be there next season?
If I had a player on my books I needed to find out about as to whether he’s got it or not and whether we keep him or not then I wouldn’t even blink.

I’m not saying you have to blood these young blokes for the entire 6 weeks but some game time is imperative IMO.

Far better IMO to blood them against teams of similar ability / position on the ladder rather than Storm and Raiders.

boardlumps62

Juniors
We want to win so you put your best side on the field. If those that are leaving don't want to perform drop them. We need to give Blacker and Sailor some game time if we are wanting to keep them. I MO
Young wants to win he will try to get his side on the field.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
If

If I had a player on my books I needed to find out about as to whether he’s got it or not and whether we keep him or not then I wouldn’t even blink.

I’m not saying you have to blood these young blokes for the entire 6 weeks but some game time is imperative IMO.

Far better IMO to blood them against teams of similar ability / position on the ladder rather than Storm and Raiders.
Maybe if we had a coach with a few years on his contract or even if Mary minus the selection panel was there, maybe they would try a few players but in the current situation its never going to happen. Especially given we are still a mathematical chance of the 8 albeit would pretty much need to win every game and have other results go our way. With three very winnable games coming up I would be pissed off if we didn't at least go down swinging.

Old Timer

Coach
Maybe if we had a coach with a few years on his contract or even if Mary minus the selection panel was there, maybe they would try a few players but in the current situation its never going to happen. Especially given we are still a mathematical chance of the 8 albeit would pretty much need to win every game and have other results go our way. With three very winnable games coming up I would be pissed off if we didn't at least go down swinging.
It will be interesting to see what people say if we run conservatively and lose a game or 2?

All of a sudden the conservatives will ark up and say why didn’t we do this.

Many here criticise the club, coach, game plan etc when we continually lose and underperform but when given the opportunity to change that become conservative and quote mathematics and scenarios as fanciful as those of the coach they wanted sacked.

SAP58

Juniors
Will be interesting to see how Dean Young uses his bench. Will he only use 3 of the 4 like McFool did constantly.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
It will be interesting to see what people say if we run conservatively and lose a game or 2?

Many here criticise the club, coach, game plan etc when we continually lose and underperform but when given the opportunity to change that become conservative and quote mathematics and scenarios as fanciful as those of the coach they wanted sacked.
People will always find something to whinge about. Im not stating my opinion of what I think should happen I'm just putting myself in Dean Young's shoes.

getsmarty

Immortal
Vaughan flies straight in from bio breach
  • NRL
    r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Paul Vaughan will return for St George Illawarra against Brisbane after an NRL biosecurity breach.
    Dean Young will bring Paul Vaughan straight back into St George Illawarra's NRL side against Brisbane despite not seeing him since his biosecurity breach.

Vaughan did not train with the Dragons on Thursday as he awaited the results of his COVID-19 test, before being granted approval to return to their bubble.

It means the first time he will see teammates since his cafe breakfast breach two weeks ago will be at the airport on Friday, ahead of the team's flight to Brisbane.

But interim coach Young said he would have no hesitation in bringing him back off the bench and confirmed he will be in the team.

"I have been in contact with him a fair bit," Young said.

"He has been hooked up on zoom (teleconferences) so he hasn't missed any video sessions or meetings we have had this week.

"He's going to come off the interchange.

"I don't want to set him up to fail by starting in a game where he has been away from the team for the past two weeks.

"Our performance staff have done an incredible job working with him this week and I will see him at the airport."

It mean youngsters Blake Lawrie and Josh Kerr will keep their starting spots after impressing Young in last week's win over Parramatta.

Jacob Host will also start in the back row with Tyrell Fuimaono losing his case at the NRL judiciary, while Trent Merrin comes onto the bench.

Australian Associated Press

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6888266/vaughan-flies-straight-in-from-bio-breach/?cs=7486

getsmarty

Immortal
24-hour warning: Round 15 v Broncos
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Thu 20 Aug 2020, 07:55 PM

St George Illawarra interim coach Dean Young has trimmed his squad to 19 ahead of the Dragons' Round 15 clash against the Brisbane Broncos at Suncorp Stadium on Friday, August 21.

Tyrell Fuimaono's suspension has seen Jacob Host elevated to the starting team and Trent Merrin come on to the bench. Eddie Blacker will be the other player to make way from Tuesday's initial 21-man squad.

Friday night will be Young's first outing as coach of the Dragons following Paul McGregor's final game in charge of the club, a 14-12 win over the Parramatta Eels.

"I consider the opportunity to coach the St George Illawarra Dragons for the remainder of our 2020 campaign as an absolute honour," Young said.

"There were many positives to take out of the Parramatta win last weekend but it's important now that we compete against the Broncos as we did the Eels.

"As a whole, I'm really looking forward to finishing the year strongly, with the process beginning this week to ensure we reach a level of consistency that will make our Red V members, partners and fans proud."

NRL squad for Round 15 v Brisbane Broncos –
1. Matt Dufty – sponsored by EFEX
2. Jordan Pereira – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski
3. Euan Aitken– sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
4. Zac Lomax – sponsored by Floormania
5. Mikaele Ravalawa – sponsored by Nutrition Station
6. Corey Norman – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
7. Adam Clune – sponsored by Baytek Construction
8. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by SMAI
9. Ben Hunt – sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
10. Josh Kerr – sponsored by Professionals Padstow
11. Tyson Frizell – sponsored by Modus Projects
14 Jacob Host – sponsored by St.George Bank
13. Cameron McInnes (c) – sponsored by Dincel Construction System

Interchange:
15. Kaide Ellis – sponsored by Bodytech Fitness
16. Korbin Sims – sponsored by TripADeal
17. Paul Vaughan – sponsored by Fox Property
18. Trent Merrin – sponsored by CMG Audio Visual
19. Tristan Sailor
20. Brayden Wiliame

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/08/20/nrl-team-announcement-round-15-v-broncos/

True_Believer

Juniors

Who "quoted mathematics"? What are the "fanciful scenarios"? Of those who disagree with your view I've only seen facts and realistic interpretations of the situation. Like Forbes, I've only seen people be realistic about the situation and look at it from Dean Youngs point of view.

So maybe just stop building straw men and labelling people in an attempt to create some sort of argument.

Crush

Coach

It'll be interesting to see what people say if the Dragons fire and those players people want dropped play well.
It works both ways OT.

Dragon_psa

First Grade
Getting rid of McGregor after nearly 7 years is akin to "shutting the gate after the horse has bolted".
The damage has already been done on so many fronts.
I agree that Young has no qualifications as a head coach and has shown very little potential as an assistant coach as well.
Still don't understand why Hornby was singled out and turfed and not Young as well and yet here we are.
His one and only point of reference in terms of mentoring has been McGregor and the coaching philosophy which has failed so spectacularly.
So membership on hold until a top line coach is installed with a clear and uninterrupted mandate to lead the team forward.

Daddy.

Four middle forwards now on the bench, doesn’t make sense.
McInnes plays 80 minutes so that means we have 6 other middle forwards all trying to fit into 160 minutes of footy.
If Vaughan plays 55 minutes which he normally does that’s down to just over 100 minutes by 5 now.
20 minutes each.
Will there be a late change.

24-hour warning: Round 15 v Broncos
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Thu 20 Aug 2020, 07:55 PM

St George Illawarra interim coach Dean Young has trimmed his squad to 19 ahead of the Dragons' Round 15 clash against the Brisbane Broncos at Suncorp Stadium on Friday, August 21.

Tyrell Fuimaono's suspension has seen Jacob Host elevated to the starting team and Trent Merrin come on to the bench. Eddie Blacker will be the other player to make way from Tuesday's initial 21-man squad.

Friday night will be Young's first outing as coach of the Dragons following Paul McGregor's final game in charge of the club, a 14-12 win over the Parramatta Eels.

"I consider the opportunity to coach the St George Illawarra Dragons for the remainder of our 2020 campaign as an absolute honour," Young said.

"There were many positives to take out of the Parramatta win last weekend but it's important now that we compete against the Broncos as we did the Eels.

"As a whole, I'm really looking forward to finishing the year strongly, with the process beginning this week to ensure we reach a level of consistency that will make our Red V members, partners and fans proud."

NRL squad for Round 15 v Brisbane Broncos –
1. Matt Dufty – sponsored by EFEX
2. Jordan Pereira – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski
3. Euan Aitken– sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
4. Zac Lomax – sponsored by Floormania
5. Mikaele Ravalawa – sponsored by Nutrition Station
6. Corey Norman – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
7. Adam Clune – sponsored by Baytek Construction
8. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by SMAI
9. Ben Hunt – sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
10. Josh Kerr – sponsored by Professionals Padstow
11. Tyson Frizell – sponsored by Modus Projects
14 Jacob Host – sponsored by St.George Bank
13. Cameron McInnes (c) – sponsored by Dincel Construction System

Interchange:
15. Kaide Ellis – sponsored by Bodytech Fitness
16. Korbin Sims – sponsored by TripADeal
17. Paul Vaughan – sponsored by Fox Property
18. Trent Merrin – sponsored by CMG Audio Visual
19. Tristan Sailor
20. Brayden Wiliame

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/08/20/nrl-team-announcement-round-15-v-broncos/
Good enough 17 to towel up the Broncos in their current state. 4 forwards on the bench is probably right for this game given the dirth of forwards the opposition has to deal with.
Should be very interesting.

Latest posts