What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Position Did You Play?

Coffs dragon

Bench
I had to play Union at school. I grew up in the GPS system we were taught to believe the Union was the superior game. I had to play a local northern beaches comp to get a run in League.

I didn't mind Union but I loved playing League. I played half for my League team and I had the ball 75% of the time so I was happy lol! most of the time in Union I had to kick or pass. It was boring!

Said it elsewhere in another thread but there are some pretty handy talents in the private schools, and they have access to the best conditioning coaches and facilities. The gyms and facilities at these schools would rival most NRL teams,

Sure there are plenty of other Jospeh Suaali's and Cameron Murray's that would love to make the jump to League.
Giboz like you , I also played Union in the GPS system. I loved playing Union, but it was a shit game to watch and so I was always watching League on TV and attending Dragons matches as Kogarah or our other home ground back then (The SCG)

I still recall how the coach/teacher selected our positions in 1st Year (now Year 7)
Line up 15 boys in height order, the 8 tallest were forwards, the remaining 7 had to compete in sprint races. The 2 fastest were then wingers. I was the shortest in the line and hence I became the scrum-half & the 2nd shortest was fly-half.
As an avid Dragons supporter, I idolised our half back Billy Smith and somehow tried to copy his style into my very poor Union version.
After leaving school, I couldn’t wait to play League and had a year with Kingsgrove Colts.
Some big boppers, big drinkers and too many parties cruelled the success & enjoyment level.

Gareth67

First Grade
You're right Gareth re Leichhardt oval. We used to play all the grand finals there in the early days.
They changed the direction because of the sun. Birchgrove was a cold morning there when the wind was coming off the water. I started when i was seven with Glebe Youth then went to Leichhardt Coaching Class then Glebe Police Boys.I think Kodox was the name you are thinking of.

Yes it was Kodox - I think they wore a burgundy and orange jersey and they were the other teams Glebe Police Boys and Leichardt Coaching College - whom we would usually beat. Dennistone has a jersey the same as St.George , the real reason I switched from Dundas Valley , plus I had a good mate playing for them who was always at me to join them .

As many others have already remarked - they were fun days , however we all age and they have now become good memories.

giboz71

First Grade
Giboz like you , I also played Union in the GPS system. I loved playing Union, but it was a shit game to watch and so I was always watching League on TV and attending Dragons matches as Kogarah or our other home ground back then (The SCG)

I still recall how the coach/teacher selected our positions in 1st Year (now Year 7)
Line up 15 boys in height order, the 8 tallest were forwards, the remaining 7 had to compete in sprint races. The 2 fastest were then wingers. I was the shortest in the line and hence I became the scrum-half & the 2nd shortest was fly-half.
As an avid Dragons supporter, I idolised our half back Billy Smith and somehow tried to copy his style into my very poor Union version.
After leaving school, I couldn’t wait to play League and had a year with Kingsgrove Colts.
Some big boppers, big drinkers and too many parties cruelled the success & enjoyment level.

Hey Coffs, great story. I had a similar experience at school.

I started in Year 5 and I won a race and ended up as the winger. Eventually found my way in the halves as I got older.

I was a massive Dragons fan at school and couldn’t wait to play League. Thankfully my parents would drive me to the Northern Beaches to play League when I didn’t have school commitments. Unfortunately didn’t play either code after I left school but I still enjoy watching both codes.

What school did you go to? Ex Riverview boy here.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Hey Coffs, great story. I had a similar experience at school.

I started in Year 5 and I won a race and ended up as the winger. Eventually found my way in the halves as I got older.

I was a massive Dragons fan at school and couldn’t wait to play League. Thankfully my parents would drive me to the Northern Beaches to play League when I didn’t have school commitments. Unfortunately didn’t play either code after I left school but I still enjoy watching both codes.

What school did you go to? Ex Riverview boy here.
Hey Giboz, I went to Scots and over the years we enjoyed some great matches against Riverview.
In 5 years playing, I don’t think we ever beat Joey’s in any year or team.....I hated those bastards! LOL

giboz71

First Grade
Hey Giboz, I went to Scots and over the years we enjoyed some great matches against Riverview.
In 5 years playing, I don’t think we ever beat Joey’s in any year or team.....I hated those bastards! LOL

Lol. A Joeys flanker effectively ended my schoolboy career. I was playing a trial for the 2nd XV and got hit late and got knocked out.

My Dad (who was at the game and a a doctor) hauled me off and never let me play again!

Probably a good move. I had headaches most of the year because of that.

_Johnsy

Referee
Interesting the number of folks in here who have played both league and union, but we’re (mostly) a league mob in here..

Interested to hear rationale why both codes were played..

For me Union was a school thing, league once I got a bit older..

But drifted back to union after uni.. Particularly when I moved to Melbourne as union was more developed than league down here..

Found union the more enjoyable game to play, but league the better game to watch..
I found union a bat shit boring game, way too many stoppages. The referee had way too much impact and the inconsistencies within a game were astounding. Then you have the reliance on kicking. I did play a-grade union when I travelled up north to Darwin many years ago. The thing I loved about Darwin league & union had different seasons & played after each other. The only negative was some of the grounds were like green concrete. One of the best fields I’ve have ever played at was at Jabiru (Home of the bush rats), green soft carpet.

The main reason I loved league was the physicality of playing in the forwards, a more direct physical confrontation compared the the ruck and maul dogs breakfast of union.
My junior clubs were Lithgow St Bradbury in Campbelltown. Moved to the GC after one year of high school.
Then played for Southport Tigers & grade for Nerang. After one year of grade I made the transition into concentrating on beer & schmoo. The rest is history :joy::joy:.

Last edited:

Saint Scott

Juniors
I was a fullback played for ( I hate to say this) Canterbury bulldogs but only sg ball and then flegg once in flegg struggled with the size speed and strength of other players I was quick but weak as a flea. Dropped back to a grade and it was just fight week after week so gave the game away but have many many friends from rugby league
Still playing soccer have been since I was 5

Dragons 09

Juniors
Usually the way - the coaches son gets to play at either half or hooker .

My dad was my coach from Under 7's to Under 16's......i played half back :oops:

Our fullback and 2 front rowers during this time, who like most of our team had been with us since under 7's, eventually went on and played for the Steelers.......I didn't :confused:

We did however all end up back together again playing grade in clubland and with us all playing in our original junior days positions.....counts for something doesn't it?.....probably not :D

Gareth67

First Grade
My dad was my coach from Under 7's to Under 16's......i played half back :oops:

Our fullback and 2 front rowers during this time, who like most of our team had been with us since under 7's, eventually went on and played for the Steelers.......I didn't :confused:

We did however all end up back together again playing grade in clubland and with us all playing in our original junior days positions.....counts for something doesn't it?.....probably not :D

Yes mate , it certainly does . By the sounds of it you not only had talent and but enjoyed the game to have played all those years .

My remark in my previous post was merely attributed to my own experience at 2 separate clubs whereas 1 of the players had no talent whatsoever ( except eating chocolate that his Dad would supply him with ) and the other was not too bad at hooker but was selected at the beginning of the year by his father which left a good hooker in the second row .

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
In the days when field-goals were worth 2 points and tries 3 points, I mostly played halfback but filled in at hooker when required. Those were days when contested scrums were to the go and a clip over the ear or a punch in the eye was the norm.

We were brought up tough in those days.
The story goes that during our hey days in the late 50s/60s Bluey Wilson that played along side Kev Ryan, Proven Walsh and the like never packed into a scrum without a hand full of sand that went straight into the opposition hookers eyes.....heard this story a few times over the years so how true it was doesnt matter...it makes for good reading

Dragons 09

Juniors
Yes mate , it certainly does . By the sounds of it you not only had talent and but enjoyed the game to have played all those years .

My remark in my previous post was merely attributed to my own experience at 2 separate clubs whereas 1 of the players had no talent whatsoever ( except eating chocolate that his Dad would supply him with ) and the other was not too bad at hooker but was selected at the beginning of the year by his father which left a good hooker in the second row .

Haha, all good mate, i was just taking the piss out of myself and dad more than anything. Yes, i loved the game, lived and breathed it from the day dad introduced me to Changa and Billy Smith when i was the ripe old age of 6. I became a Saint for life from that day forward. Never quite had the talent to get to the top level and juggled motor cycle racing at the same time, so probably lacked the absolute commitment needed also, but geez they were good times that i will always remember fondly and some great stories to tell my young bloke when he is age appropriate.

Gareth67

First Grade
Haha, all good mate, i was just taking the piss out of myself and dad more than anything. Yes, i loved the game, lived and breathed it from the day dad introduced me to Changa and Billy Smith when i was the ripe old age of 6. I became a Saint for life from that day forward. Never quite had the talent to get to the top level and juggled motor cycle racing at the same time, so probably lacked the absolute commitment needed also, but geez they were good times that i will always remember fondly and some great stories to tell my young bloke when he is age appropriate.

Yes , they are worth their weight in gold Dragons 09 ! And as you say , your young bloke will appreciate them I am sure .

Last edited:

Belta

Juniors
Thinking about it I done a full 360. In juniors (including school games) was always a fullback. Unfortunately Wasnt enough players to field a team from about 13 to 17. Oddly enough in under 18s played a full season at five eight. As an adult was initially seen as a winger and a quite abit of centre, Than afterwards I played exclusive fullback, which was by far my favourite position. Like most of us lots of injuries but many more fabulous memories.

SAP58

Juniors
Union at school and on weekends until 15yrs played centre.
League from then on played centre, 5/8 and even a few games at lock whilst I wasn't really big enough for lock, players weren't the size they are now, I was also pretty good defensively so filled in there. As I played for the mighty Bears defending was paramount !
Have always supported the mighty Dragons, was born in the area before moving when I was young and my grandfather played for them.

D4L_Dave

Juniors
Primarily in both League and Union inside centre and fullback. Having said that from age 16yrs onwards I have played every position in both codes except front rower, though I did fill in at hooker for injury cover but doesn't count in my book. Best position Inside Centre. Was ok as a running 5/8 as well. As for fullback, protections they rightly get these days would have made that just as fun.