What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting Tough On Divers

Fangs

Coach
You know who they are. And if you don't then ask Eels fans to point them out for you.

Player safety comes first as always. But diving is tearing apart the fabric of our great game.

How do we judge if a player has dived with certainty? And more importantly, how do we punish it?

myrrh ken

First Grade
Ultimately refs should not be swayed if someone is hurt or not.
Milkers are annoying but if its a foul, its a foul.

soc123_au

Staff member
Ultimately refs should not be swayed if someone is hurt or not.
Milkers are annoying but if its a foul, its a foul.
The Sivo one last night wasn't a foul though. Sivo set it up & milked it perfectly. Johns was just a passenger in all of that. he tried it on again towards the end of the game, but the refs didn't buy it. It would be impossible to implement & police, but in a perfect world Sivo gets the 2 weeks for that for putting himself in a dangerous position.

myrrh ken

First Grade
The Sivo one last night wasn't a foul though. Sivo set it up & milked it perfectly. Johns was just a passenger in all of that. he tried it on again towards the end of the game, but the refs didn't buy it. It would be impossible to implement & police, but in a perfect world Sivo gets the 2 weeks for that for putting himself in a dangerous position.

Watch again. Sivo gets turned by the storm bloke around his legs. He is just getting up to play the ball quickly. If Johns can't slow him down without putting pressure on his neck he needs to git gud.

This is not to say Sivo didn't exaggerate the effects afterwards.

soc123_au

Staff member
Watch again. Sivo gets turned by the storm bloke around his legs. He is just getting up to play the ball quickly. If Johns can't slow him down without putting pressure on his neck he needs to git gud.

This is not to say Sivo didn't exaggerate the effects afterwards.
He seems to do it a bit. Backing in then pushing up with his head. I will find the footage and watch again though. In this case it was the Storm & it's about time they got a bit of karma, but I dont like the playing for penalty bullshit. It's a bad look.

SDM

First Grade
The choice is now back with the coaches, slow the play the ball down and risk suspension, or the third man over the top releases when the attacker hits the deck.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Take the video ref out of the equation then there is no benefit to laying on the ground like your spines snapped in two, only to then bounce up and play the ball when the video ref has given the penalty. We are bordering on soccer drama queens the way players are laying down!

Canard

Immortal
I think there is an element of gamemanship for sure. Players have also developed this technique of running/wrestling backwards when the hit the line in the last couple of seasons (Tamou starting doing it at the Cowboys)

But as soon as the players "drop" from onto their knees whilst in the act of tackling they are going to always get penalised.

Delboy

First Grade
Shouldn’t be surprising when the team that has introduced every nasty play to slow the game down gets penalised for doing exactly what they seem to have been trained to do.

Appreciate their structure and how fit and fast they are,but Bellyache complaining about penalties is what it is, they didn’t have their own ref out there slowing everything down and standing next to the referee questioning decisions is a moot point. Bromwich tried to do it by getting in the refs face, needs more lessons.

Exsilium

First Grade
Could they not implement a “medical test” similar to a HIA where the player has to leave the field for a short period to undergo an assessment of the head and neck area?

Like last night, Sivo claims a crusher tackle, penalty is awarded, Sivo cannot miraculously get up and carry on, he has to go off for five minutes to carry out some movement tests or whatever, then comes back onto the field. a thumbs up by the trainer isn’t acceptable. Especially when you’re claiming the head and neck has been manipulated with excessive force.

The referee determines the foul play aspect, in conjunction with the VR. If not, it’s an on field penalty and/or reported. Player goes off for a check and returns after x minutes.

Make it a free interchange or whatever.

Just come up with something to ensure it’s not just a penalty play.

Could they not implement a “medical test” similar to a HIA where the player has to leave the field for a short period to undergo an assessment of the head and neck area?

Like last night, Sivo claims a crusher tackle, penalty is awarded, Sivo cannot miraculously get up and carry on, he has to go off for five minutes to carry out some movement tests or whatever, then comes back onto the field. a thumbs up by the trainer isn’t acceptable. Especially when you’re claiming the head and neck has been manipulated with excessive force.

The referee determines the foul play aspect, in conjunction with the VR. If not, it’s an on field penalty and/or reported. Player goes off for a check and returns after x minutes.

Make it a free interchange or whatever.

Just come up with something to ensure it’s not just a penalty play.

I'd go one further. You claim a crusher, mandatory 10 minutes off the field. Free interchange if the player does not return to the game. If the player returns, free interchange is revoked. Let's see how desperate teams are willing to go to milk penalties then. You think Parra will be happy to lose Sivo for ten minutes and eat up an interchange to bring him back on to win a penalty? The reason why I reckon that the interchange should be repealed if the player returns is that if you are legitimately injured in a crusher tackle, your night should be over.

Exsilium

First Grade
I'd go one further. You claim a crusher, mandatory 10 minutes off the field. Free interchange if the player does not return to the game. If the player returns, free interchange is revoked. Let's see how desperate teams are willing to go to milk penalties then. You think Parra will be happy to lose Sivo for ten minutes and eat up an interchange to bring him back on to win a penalty? The reason why I reckon that the interchange should be repealed if the player returns is that if you are legitimately injured in a crusher tackle, your night should be over.

Agreed.

Players claiming head and neck involvement, which we know can have serious implications, should require an off-field assessment by a medical professional.

AJB1102

First Grade
The reason why I reckon that the interchange should be repealed if the player returns is that if you are legitimately injured in a crusher tackle, your night should be over.

Nah. You cop a "burner" you think you're done. 5 minutes later you're sweet.

T-Boon

Coach
They could start by rewarding 1 on 1 tackles somehow. It is twisted at the moment. A 3 or 4 man tackle is rewarded and a 1 man tackle is punished, it is essentially an error. That is totally around the wrong way.

Canard

Immortal

That's a massive detriment to players who are illegally fouled, and a huge incentive to continue crusher tackles by the opposition.

natheel

Coach
He seems to do it a bit. Backing in then pushing up with his head. I will find the footage and watch again though. In this case it was the Storm & it's about time they got a bit of karma, but I dont like the playing for penalty bullshit. It's a bad look.
I agree but I do think it’s because he’s always fighting in tackles to get a quick play the ball. Watch him he’s always wriggling to get up no matter the tackle