What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former League Commentators

Knight87

Juniors
Parra_fan, you were saying about the Canberra/Illawarra game in 1992 that Rex Mossop called. I thought he was gone after 1990, when Hughesy took over fulltime as main caller. Why did Mossop get the flick btw if he was supposedly the equivalent of Ray Warren back then?

I never got to see Warren Boland call for ABC back in the day, however, I did see him as sideline eye in the Queensland Cup and he was pretty good. One of the few comentators today that still keeps the traditional old 80's moustache, hehhehe!:lol:

The Jim Beam Cup is on Fox, and David Tapp and Peter Mullholland call the games. I don't know how you guys rate Tapp and Mulholland, but I think Mulholland use to be the sideline eye for Fox in the first year of the NRL.

Dunno how you guys also rate Gerry Collins and David Morrow.

Nullajet said:
Rex Mossop used to always call Ricky Walford ..Ricky Walpole!!

and i think everyone got tired of correcting him so just let it go...

GREAT TRY WALPOLE!!!!!

During one Raiders game he had "Laurie Stuart" in the halves!

Knight87

Juniors
How would you feel if Ray Hadley, Peter Wilkins, Gerry Collins, David Morrow or Jon Harker wwere to call rugby league games on tv?

Brutus

Referee
Thirsty Morrow is good, Collins is ordinary. Plus he's more of a union man.

Hadley is poor - sounds like he is calling a race. I liked Wilkins tryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!

Graeme Hughes, Warren Boland and Wilkins need to be given calling gigs somewhere. They are all better than some of the clowns on Fox currently.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
J T said:
Parra_fan, you were saying about the Canberra/Illawarra game in 1992 that Rex Mossop called. I thought he was gone after 1990, when Hughesy took over fulltime as main caller. Why did Mossop get the flick btw if he was supposedly the equivalent of Ray Warren back then?

I never got to see Warren Boland call for ABC back in the day, however, I did see him as sideline eye in the Queensland Cup and he was pretty good. One of the few comentators today that still keeps the traditional old 80's moustache, hehhehe!:lol:

The Jim Beam Cup is on Fox, and David Tapp and Peter Mullholland call the games. I don't know how you guys rate Tapp and Mulholland, but I think Mulholland use to be the sideline eye for Fox in the first year of the NRL.

Dunno how you guys also rate Gerry Collins and David Morrow.

I dont know if Mossop got the flick or retired. I know he finished up in 1990, Ian Maurice he was also commentator in 1990 I think got the flick in and ended up back at Channel 9 in 1991. Not as commentator but as sports reader.

They probably wanted more ratings Ch 10, so they decided to use Hughes more, who was a better commentator and also use Wayne Pearce and Bill Anderson as co commentators, as well as Peter Peters and Peter Sterling on several games. That was the last year Ch 10 covered Rugby League matches, as Ch 9 got full ratings the following year.

Mossop I think went to Ch 7 in 1991, to join their sports show, which I think also included Roy Masters. He mightve done a bit commentary while they were calling the Australia/New Zealand test series that year. Can anyone tell me who was the caller in that series.

So in that 1992 game, Prime mightve been covering the game, and since Mossop was on Ch 7 and Prime is part of that network, they decided Mossop was the best caller for it. I have a video of it.

Im still working on uploading videos, so once Ive done it I can show it to you on Youtube.

Brutus

Referee
I'm pretty sure Graeme Hughes went to channel 7 in 1992. He called the Test series v GB and hosted the Sunday League show.

Knight87

Juniors
PARRA_FAN said:
I dont know if Mossop got the flick or retired. I know he finished up in 1990, Ian Maurice he was also commentator in 1990 I think got the flick in and ended up back at Channel 9 in 1991. Not as commentator but as sports reader.

They probably wanted more ratings Ch 10, so they decided to use Hughes more, who was a better commentator and also use Wayne Pearce and Bill Anderson as co commentators, as well as Peter Peters and Peter Sterling on several games. That was the last year Ch 10 covered Rugby League matches, as Ch 9 got full ratings the following year.

Mossop I think went to Ch 7 in 1991, to join their sports show, which I think also included Roy Masters. He mightve done a bit commentary while they were calling the Australia/New Zealand test series that year. Can anyone tell me who was the caller in that series.

So in that 1992 game, Prime mightve been covering the game, and since Mossop was on Ch 7 and Prime is part of that network, they decided Mossop was the best caller for it. I have a video of it.

Im still working on uploading videos, so once Ive done it I can show it to you on Youtube.

Yo, Parra_fan again. Its just I thought that Ch9 had the club rights from 1992 onwards, and Ch7 only televised the test matches (ie 1992 Ashes series vs GB and 1993 test series vs NZ). That's why I was a bit confused when you said that Rex Mossop called the Canberra/Illawarra game. And good luck with the youtube clips. Should be good viewing, although I hope you don't get threatened with legal action from those NRL cronies (as what has happened to other rugby league clips on youtube).

Knight87

Juniors
PARRA_FAN said:
Yeah Boland was one of my favourites, god I miss ABC Football on a Saturday alvo.

I have a tape of Mossop calling a game in 1992, Canberra/Illawarra, and you could tell he was losing it, now I wonder why he wasnt calling it when Hughes and Maurice took over in 1988.

He called names wrong and didnt keep up with the game well. "Now its with Boyle, he's goes down the blindside and tackled on 4" (the other bloke next to him) "Its actually Croker Rex", "Croker?" "Croker, well then he plays it".

I dont remember this, but they showed an incident when he was on the Steve Vizard show and Julian Clarey and was sitting next to him. Rex refused to shake his hand and Vizard kept asking questions about gays and stuff and Rex didnt want to know about it

Steve: What do you think of homosexuals?
Rex: I dont think about them

:lol: Good one.

Didnt he blow up afterwards though, talked about his book and threw it at him.

Yep, I remember the Steve Vizard show incident (was about 4 yrs old at the time, but still remember it). Here's the clip from youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7jlP9nLctY

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Brutus said:
I'm pretty sure Graeme Hughes went to channel 7 in 1992. He called the Test series v GB and hosted the Sunday League show.

Correct, Channel 7 had the rights to test matches in 1991-93.

Im not sure who was commentating in 1991, but Hughes was definately commentator in the GB series in 1992, and the NZL test series in 1993

roofromoz

First Grade
Mark Geyer and Ben Ikin calling Raiders v Panthers on Nine when Vossy fell ill... I'm sure that happened.

mongoose

Coach
I hope matt thompson gets canned soon. Really grating voice and tone plus he has an obvious QLD bias

Incorrect

Coach
I hope matt thompson gets canned soon. Really grating voice and tone plus he has an obvious QLD bias
Surely 9 have a plan to throw some big $$'s at Warren Smith or get Vossy back once Rabs is gone. Matt Thompson can't be their long term as primary match caller... They need some personality in their broadcast, Thompson doesn't have it...

Zadar

Juniors
Is Thurston the most boring monotone commentator on TV at the moment?

What’s with these Queenslanders, Thurston,Hodges,Walters,Parker, do they think viewers want to be spoken to like kindergarten kids?

Latest posts