What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 15 Vs Broncos

since77

Juniors
Some of the negativity from certain posters after tonight’s game is shortsighted and moronic. It will take more than 7 days to rectify 7 years of inept coaching by McGregor.
The job now facing whoever ends up taking over is to get the team ready for 2021 and it’s not a quick fix.
Tonight I’m just going to enjoy a win in a type of game we’ve lost more often than not lately. And it was a pleasure not seeing McGregors useless head in the coaching box. Just that alone made tonight enjoyable viewing for me.
Dean Young’s post match press conference was a breath of fresh air too. Calm, balanced and forthright. Was probably 2011 when that last was the case.

mickeylane

Bench
A lot of pent up reality from Young in that presser - none of this smoke and mirrors bullshit like Mcgregors useless ramblings. Hoping the players watched this and understand they have long been part of the problem. Young was one thing as a player - nothing but Mr 100% every game and obviously dislikes any player giving anything less - took the opportunity to hammer Norman And Ravalawa but also was man enough to compliment parts of their game... Young reflected all our thoughts as supporters and that’s a great start - my only concern is going forward will 100% effort be enough to become a top 4 team or will we still need a coach that can make players better versions of themselves and hence improving the playing standard and performance overall. There’s one thing I’m certain of though after tonite - Young will get the team giving 100% - my only thoughts are will this be enough going forward..

sco22

Juniors
A lot of pent up reality from Young in that presser - none of this smoke and mirrors bullshit like Mcgregors useless ramblings. Hoping the players watched this and understand they have long been part of the problem. Young was one thing as a player - nothing but Mr 100% every game and obviously dislikes any player giving anything less - took the opportunity to hammer Norman And Ravalawa but also was man enough to compliment parts of their game... Young reflected all our thoughts as supporters and that’s a great start - my only concern is going forward will 100% effort be enough to become a top 4 team or will we still need a coach that can make players better versions of themselves and hence improving the playing standard and performance overall. There’s one thing I’m certain of though after tonite - Young will get the team giving 100% - my only thoughts are will this be enough going forward..
Time will tell Mickey dragons have to add players to the roster. Coaching staff have to get all the players on board with their vision for the next 5 weeks it will be interesting :thumbsup:

thebigredv

First Grade
my only concern is going forward will 100% effort be enough to become a top 4 team or will we still need a coach that can make players better versions of themselves and hence improving the playing standard and performance overall. There’s one thing I’m certain of though after tonite - Young will get the team giving 100% - my only thoughts are will this be enough going forward..

We need some better players.

Aitken going - good. Norman can be replaced with someone more consistent asap. Clune better fix his defence or move him on. Sailor needs a month in the team to see if he becomes a permanent player next year.

Merrin and K Sims are not required. We need a like for like replacement for Frizell. JDB is a tricky one but all I know is we can't keep paying him to sit on the sideline. Might have to take a hit there.

Kerr, Host, Ford, Fui, T Sims need to be closely looked at. Each have had their moments this year but no consistency. Happy for a hard head coach to come in and make a tough call on one or two of them. Lawrie will also need to keep improving and shouldn't be starting if we are a decent team. Vaughan is safe so long as he stays professional. Buy a big prop and give Blacker a run similar to Sailor.

Hunt is looking good at dummy but are we now seeing the best of our captain? That's a bit of a tricky one too.

Wingers have hit a purple patchI that none of saw coming. I dare say we can persevere with those two in the press for a premiership next year. Have a bit of depth there with Ramsey. May need to add one more.

Lomax is repaying the faith.not sure who replaces Euan.

Dufty's ball skills get him picked in the team.

As for who replaces these players that's a separate discussion.

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Couple of thoughts on last nights game.

1. Attitude much improved
2. Attack has some variations now
3. Defense still a long way off

I thought the Broncos played much better because they weren't burdened with the 'big boppers'. They were more mobile than in previous weeks.

With the new rules I think this is the blueprint of props moving forward.

Still some McGregor isms on show and these will take some time to eradicate.

So far Young and Co have done well, however, next week (ie: 2 weeks into his tenure) will show us more.

ChocOConnor

Juniors
At least I never got to hear we needed to be comfortable being uncomfortable. I have booked a psychologist to get a better understanding of this statement. The last one I had told me I should try joining Mossad (the Israeli intelligents) if I ever wanted to be in that position.

possm

Coach

I thought the Broncos played much better because they weren't burdened with the 'big boppers'. They were more mobile than in previous weeks.

So far Young and Co have done well, however, next week (ie: 2 weeks into his tenure) will show us more.
Young has been given the easiest run you could ask for; Brisbane, Titans, and Cowboys. These should be games he uses to try out new game plans, player combinations and selections.

So, first up against Brisbane:

• Similar team selection to Mary's
  • Similar game plan to Mary's
  • Similar bench management to Mary's
We won by a close margin against a team not contesting for the minor premiership but for the wooden spoon. Let's see what happens next week. These easier games are Dean Young's honeymoon period and his chance to settle into the job.

More importantly, let's see what happens in the last 3 games of the season. The performance of the team during this 2 week period should show us what we will get with Dean Young as our head coach.

SAP58

Juniors

Agree defence is still has a lot of work to do, we still wait for the attack to come to us rather than meeting it at the ad line. Very frustrating that is why other sides get a roll on against us but it will take a while to get over the previous coaches structures i guess. Lets see if there some improvement over the next couple of weeks

Inisai Toga

Juniors

Agree; how much difference does a good half- back make. Their halfback Dearden was really impressive; they had much better shape to their attack last night. Wouldn’t surprise me if they got some scalps on the run home.

matPORTS

Juniors
My takeaways:

My burning passion for the big Red V is back - this year I'd refrained from getting the s***s when a poor refereeing decision went against us (as every one of these seemingly got us closer to having McGregor removed), but last night I was back to my one eyed complete bias. Sorry, but Josh Kerr pass was back (what ever happened to benefit of the doubt going to the attacking team) and Clune caught it clean (oh and to my slimy Eels supporting mates who had the hide to tell me that Mahoney scored last week - get lost he was out - and your team are the modern day chokers).

Good to see that Deano is under no illusions - we've got to get better. For the most part our entire play is disjointed and needs a lot of work (we're still far from being polished). The bench rotation is still very confusing - however I'll reserve judgement on this for a couple of more weeks until we get the sidelined troops back on board (and Vaughan gets back in his regular starting position). Being realistic, we are essentially starting again with a different take on the game plans now that Deano is in charge. Overall, it's going to take a while for the Mary-era to surpass. But agree with those who've said this and without any doubt - Deano will get this team giving 100% every week (but is that going to be enough is the longer term question).

I am loving seeing Ravalawa make progress. We have lacked the 'pressure relieving on our forwards' aspect from our wingers over the past 18 months. Watching him come in field and take those hit ups on the second tackle is something to give the team and fans a lot of confidence moving forward. All the very best teams members back five that can take some of the pressure of the forwards and get the team rolling out of the red zone.

Staying with the right side - Lomax, Rava with Dufty chiming in with his ball playing has the potential to be the most devastating right side combination in years to come. I agree with @possm that Dufty could be a good option for us in the six when the time comes for Norman to move on, and if we can get an astute replacement in the one, be it an internal promotion or from outside (next coach has some decisions to make).

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Some of the negativity from certain posters after tonight’s game is shortsighted and moronic. It will take more than 7 days to rectify 7 years of inept coaching by McGregor.
The job now facing whoever ends up taking over is to get the team ready for 2021 and it’s not a quick fix.
Tonight I’m just going to enjoy a win in a type of game we’ve lost more often than not lately. And it was a pleasure not seeing McGregors useless head in the coaching box. Just that alone made tonight enjoyable viewing for me.
Dean Young’s post match press conference was a breath of fresh air too. Calm, balanced and forthright. Was probably 2011 when that last was the case.
Agree...Saints need a new direction and some decent players to fix the f**k up that McFlop left behind. Therefore, they need an experienced coach that players will want to come and play for. That is why D Young, or any rookie coach is not the answer at the moment. That’s what I think anyway.

Tuddy

Juniors
Happy for the win but a few more like this and Dean has the job for the next three years. I’m not jumping up and down with excitement thinking about that, but he has been refreshing in his candour. Looks like the excuse ship sailed with McGregor.

I like Dean but he hasn’t been outside the system so i can’t see a lot changing ... which is a shame because I think he has it in him.

We still have Rava, Jordan and Aitken taking the first few hit ups every time. You can see the opposition getting ready for them, there’s no surprises.......ever.

Bench use.......didn’t get it, just like when Mary had the reins.

Aitken.....so many times last night could have passed to Jordan ... the one time he did, it was rubbish....hook him.

Norman... playing like he’s been told it’s now or never. He actually ran the ball to the line a couple of times! Should have been told along time ago....Sailors ready.

Interesting times but agree with what was said earlier......I feel like a fan again.

Old Timer

Coach
I've been leading the charge calling for Norman to be dropped but last couple of weeks he has gone OK.
He's still on notice though for me.
Retains his spot for next week IMO
I’ve been leading the charge for the entire season.
I agree that on that showing he’ll be retained.
Unfortunately he is the sort of player that is only ever a game away from being on notice as there is huge disparity between his best and worse and he rarely strings his best games together.

rasaint

Juniors
Agreed we are a long way off top 4 side; but I was expecting a big game from the Broncos last night.

I thought Mills back at 5/8 and addition of improved backline as well as closing ranks and pride would make them competitive against any team last night.

What I liked about our team is that it hung in there when some very favourable calls went to Broncos.

The call against us for Kerr/ Lomax joint catch and knock back disallowed try was a poor decision that even Gallon and Vaughtin critised. Also the sneaky backhanded dislodgement or interference by defenders at play the ball or tackles is increasing. Hook it out with fingers penalty for sure, but backhand dragging with a little twist is being used more often now. A bad call went against us when Lawrie stripped by backhand drag. Broncos last try came shortly after from the excellent field position gained by the call and fatigue of dragons defence.

Euan Aiken had a forgetful night and Lomax competed hard but had a mixed bag night. Hopefully, they both will get into the groove next week. Kerr had probably his best game for us.

I hope we use the bench players next week. The last try scored by Broncos half came about from big fatigue from normally reliable defenders