What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 15 Vs Broncos

Dragon David

First Grade
Agree; how much difference does a good half- back make. Their halfback Dearden was really impressive; they had much better shape to their attack last night. Wouldn’t surprise me if they got some scalps on the run home.
That Dearden is a cracker of a half back. Good vision and speed. This is what the Dragons need in the halves - speed - as Dino would put it.

I noticed how Barrett has got the Penrith players play with so much speed in attack which also helps with their defence. None of this loping along with the ball in hand in attack or loping in to make a tackle.

Coaches need to institute speed drills every training session in attack and defence . It is a must!!!

Dragon David

First Grade
Dragons prop Paul Vaughan has been charged with a crusher tackle on Brisbane's Richie Kennar, and is facing a two-match ban with an early guilty plea. He faces a possible three-game suspension if he pleads not guilty but is found guilty at the judiciary.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/08/21/round-15-charges/
Again, we cop it. As someone said two Stormers did crusher tackles, one being Matty Johns' son, and not charged. Where is the consistency. Wait, there is consistency in Dragons players being charged.

Gareth67

First Grade
Again, we cop it. As someone said two Stormers did crusher tackles, one being Matty Johns' son, and not charged. Where is the consistency. Wait, there is consistency in Dragons players being charged.

Pleassssssse don’t get me started .

I am bewildered by the charge and the quick kangaroo court sentence . How those professional ‘ cheats ‘ from the Storm continually receive a ‘ get out of jail ‘ card from those fools who run the judiciary simply staggers me .

But for a team whom is struggling - and it does not matter if it happens to be the Dragons or any other one off the lesser lights of the competition - it stinks of hypocrisy

That , plus as so many of us have said at one stage or another , they need to ensure that these tall poppies have their full compliment of players for the big matches ahead .

The days of a level playing field for all teams has well and truly disappeared .

As the late Rex Mossop would say “ I am absolutely flabbergasted ! “

Last edited:
That’s the game
Lots of positives to take out of this match:
1. Kicking game was a class above anything else we have dished up all year.
In the end, that was the difference between the two sides IMO.
2. We actually have some strike power in the backline for a change. Lomax leading the way but Dufty and Ravalawa looking likely whenever we are attacking.
Aitkin still doesn't seem to fit in. Looking forward to seeing a new centre partner for Lomax.
3. Forwards held their own against a depleted Broncos pack. Kerr continues to improve
4. Hunt makes a big difference at 9 but doesn't want to play there - not good karma.
5. Bench was not utilized - why have 4 forwards on the bench if you're not going to use them? Shades of Mary.
6. Dean's press conference was the first time in years that our coach didn't treat the fans as we are football morons. Credit to him for his honestly and transparency.
7. Defence is still our Achilles heel. We ain't going to beat the top teams conceding 24 points.
8. Two competition points still keeps a flicker of hope burning to jag a finals birth. Something to aspire to instead of putting the cue in the rack like we did last year.

Conclusion
Delighted to have Mary out of the place.
Young's approach to the fans - refreshing.
Finally looking forward to watching footy again and enjoying the experience.

Mjab

Juniors
I hope Host gets the starting spot on the left edge every week. He links up with Clune nicely and has been close to scoring a few times from his short passes.

The last 2 weeks I have been impressed with Host
Prior to this I dint notice him much

I hope he pushes and and they re-sign him

Not so sure about Lawrie , still haven’t seen him play games I was impressed with

Mjab

Juniors
Agreed we are a long way off top 4 side; but I was expecting a big game from the Broncos last night.

I thought Mills back at 5/8 and addition of improved backline as well as closing ranks and pride would make them competitive against any team last night.

What I liked about our team is that it hung in there when some very favourable calls went to Broncos.

The call against us for Kerr/ Lomax joint catch and knock back disallowed try was a poor decision that even Gallon and Vaughtin critised. Also the sneaky backhanded dislodgement or interference by defenders at play the ball or tackles is increasing. Hook it out with fingers penalty for sure, but backhand dragging with a little twist is being used more often now. A bad call went against us when Lawrie stripped by backhand drag. Broncos last try came shortly after from the excellent field position gained by the call and fatigue of dragons defence.

Euan Aiken had a forgetful night and Lomax competed hard but had a mixed bag night. Hopefully, they both will get into the groove next week. Kerr had probably his best game for us.

I hope we use the bench players next week. The last try scored by Broncos half came about from big fatigue from normally reliable defenders

Agree

Too many forgettable nights for EA over many years
Glad he’s going , needs to be dropped NOW

possm

Coach
I’ve been saying for ages that mcjerkoff was killing Host. Must be resigned ASAP!! Saints junior and a bloody great player who deserves a proper crack
Jacob Host is a good backup however, we need a 'like for like' for Frizell. If De Belin becomes available, he can be the 'like for like' for Graham. I doubt 300k a season will win the race for Welch so, Millward had better sharpen his pencil or he will miss out as usual.

redv13

Bench
Jacob Host is a good backup however, we need a 'like for like' for Frizell. If De Belin becomes available, he can be the 'like for like' for Graham. I doubt 300k a season will win the race for Welch so, Millward had better sharpen his pencil or he will miss out as usual.
Host deserves a proper crack at cementing a 2nd row spot. I hear your “ like for like replacement “ but Host shouldn’t be shunted due to your fantasy shopping list

The Badger

Juniors
I’ve been saying for ages that mcjerkoff was killing Host. Must be resigned ASAP!! Saints junior and a bloody great player who deserves a proper crack
Yes Host played same position last year in a game where he had decent time and ran great holes .Looked all class.He will do well running off Clune if given opportunity to settle into position.He was one of the gang handling Fifita and Stagg last night.They actually did a great job to handle them.I would leave him there and bringTariq off bench as a strike player in the middle because the bench outside Ellis does not have any impact.