What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 15 vs Sharks

The only question for me is, does Capewell take Marty’s spot in the back row or Does he start on the bench?

If it was up to me, he’ll come off the bench at the expense of Spencer (who has been great).

Ivan has said a few times now that he thinks that Marto’s future is in the Middle. So maybe he goes to the bench and they maintain the 3 middles on the bench?

I reckon Martin moves to the middle when he slows down a bit, right now he’s pretty quick for a guy his size which makes his runs out wider all the more dangerous.

tripster

Juniors
Clearly did say in the post game interview that there was no plan to rest anyone. He said that they have been managing workload by managing training load rather than resting players from games. I assume that means players get time off training. He also said that he thought it was important to keep momentum going (which I took as meaning not disrupting the team too much). I therefore doubt, injuries or suspensions aside, anyone will be rested.

The_Frog

First Grade
The bench is quite similar. 3 big forwards who just run straight. But who do you drop if May goes to bench and Capewell returns to side. All 3 are playing great. I feel like Spencer and Lauire are obvious choice.
May can play in the backs, so we won't need another back on the bench.

The defense is a bit soft around the middle. Could be they relaxed a little but looked loose. Also the kick chase at times was a bit poor. By memory it was when they kicked early and players not ready.

These are the improvements the coach was referring to that are still to come hopefully.

Last edited:

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
From the NRL website.

Kikau was handed a grade two dangerous contact charge for a late hit on Sharks half Braydon Trindall, and will receive a one-match suspension if he enters and early guilty plea. He risks a two-match ban if he unsuccessfully fights the charge.

So charged for the late hit not a shoulder charge.

The_Frog

First Grade
You could go in there and argue for a downgrade that this hit is no worse than the Asofa-Solomona one, but given what happened this week to Proctor and also last time Kikau went in there, I don't think I'd bother. Just give him a week's rest.

Last edited:
If you fight & lose I think the carry over points get wiped out? I’d be tempted to fight it and just give him a two week rest so the carry over points don’t come back and bite us.

Plus round 17 is against the broncos & capewell is back.

Last edited:

Jane Murray

Bench
I've just watched the game, and what a near perfect game it was. Matt Moylan was totally owned, what a fall from grace he had? Nathan Cleary, and Jerome Liau, are marrying up well. Liam is a beast. To pile on 94 points, and only concede 36 against our typical boggy side, is wonderful to see. Unfortunately, channel 9 does not deem us worthy enough to show our games on the free to air time slot.

Panther Pete

Juniors
I've just watched the game, and what a near perfect game it was. Matt Moylan was totally owned, what a fall from grace he had? Nathan Cleary, and Jerome Liau, are marrying up well. Liam is a beast. To pile on 94 points, and only concede 36 against our typical boggy side, is wonderful to see. Unfortunately, channel 9 does not deem us worthy enough to show our games on the free to air time slot.
I actually didn’t think we were even close to perfect but perhaps my expectations are just too high because of they way we have been playing of late,
  • In the first half we had back to back sets where we made unforced errors and didn’t get to a kick.
  • 3 times the Sharks put up bombs and we just stood around and watched it bounce.
  • At least 3 times Naden rushed out of the line and got no one.
  • On a 5th tackle we had a forward take a hit up.
  • In the last 10 minutes it looked like we decided grabbing at jerseys was better than tackling

I am being pretty picking highlighting these things but we won’t be able to get way with that stuff against Parra, Storm or Roosters when they get their rep side back on the field.

WestyLife

First Grade
I actually didn’t think we were even close to perfect but perhaps my expectations are just too high because of they way we have been playing of late,
  • In the first half we had back to back sets where we made unforced errors and didn’t get to a kick.
  • 3 times the Sharks put up bombs and we just stood around and watched it bounce.
  • In the last 10 minutes it looked like we decided grabbing at jerseys was better than tackling

I am being pretty picking highlighting these things but we won’t be able to get way with that stuff against Parra, Storm or Roosters when they get their rep side back on the field.

Ivan sounded a little unhappy with it in the post game interview. I'd say stuff like this will be in the video review mid week.

The_Frog

First Grade
So how will the Coach of the Year replace Big Billy? If Capewell is fit he'll surely come in, otherwise he could either just bring Burns in or do a bit of a reshuffle. Yeo to backrow, JFH to lock, Leota to start and Leniu to get bigger minutes with Burns getting the bench cameo role. With To'o back May will be back to 14, likely to come on for Kenny.

soc123_au

Staff member
If you fight & lose I think the carry over points get wiped out? I’d be tempted to fight it and just give him a two week rest so the carry over points don’t come back and bite us.

Plus round 17 is against the broncos & capewell is back.
I was thinking the same thing to get rid of the carry over points. If we lose then he is nice & fresh to face Parra.

So how will the Coach of the Year replace Big Billy? If Capewell is fit he'll surely come in, otherwise he could either just bring Burns in or do a bit of a reshuffle. Yeo to backrow, JFH to lock, Leota to start and Leniu to get bigger minutes with Burns getting the bench cameo role. With To'o back May will be back to 14, likely to come on for Kenny.

I prefer the path of least disruption this late in the season. I’d be tempted to try Leniu in the second row and bring Burns on to the bench. Or vice versa.

Jane Murray

Bench

No you've made some valid points, and I agree. Parramatta only won due to a 10 minute lapse. We have already defeated the Storm, and the Roosters, and we can do so again. We are a work in progress.

franklin2323

Immortal

You don't want to reshuffle. Burns will do a job if no Capewell

franklin2323

Immortal

It is the sort of stuff we need to fix the 20 odd min slumps