What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Presidents Cup & Sydney Shield

rightleftin

Juniors
From the NSWRL website re: recommendations for community sport to cease:

"Along with other sports, we have:-

- Ceased activities that result in the mixing of participants and staff from different regions, for example zone, regional or state championships;"

Anyone know what that will mean for the competition?

Hunter, Central West, Wollongong and Greater Sydney all represented .. hard to see how they can get by given that commitment from NSWRL?

Let us hope that the reference to zonal championships etc relates to the decision in March to cancel Johns, Daley Cups etc and that Presidents Cup/Sydney Shield are major competitions not "community sport", however, some really crazy things are happening. Despite the daily numbers being close to Zero in NSW and I cant remember the last case in my area, last week, the Council wrapped up all the soccer posts at my local ground and removed the hoops from the basketball court.

Broncos93

Juniors
Let us hope that the reference to zonal championships etc relates to the decision in March to cancel Johns, Daley Cups etc and that Presidents Cup/Sydney Shield are major competitions not "community sport", however, some really crazy things are happening. Despite the daily numbers being close to Zero in NSW and I cant remember the last case in my area, last week, the Council wrapped up all the soccer posts at my local ground and removed the hoops from the basketball court.

The fear mongering is getting ridiculous. I see the daily reports from NSW Health at work and at the moment it's about a dozen or less new cases each day, all traceable to specific clusters and put into quarantine. It's very similar to the rates we were seeing when sport started back up again in July.

Pantherman72

Juniors
I would have thought a rep side made of several “conferences” would smash a club side like thirroul or Maitland and even a Ron Massey side like glebe
Maitland virtually is a rep side. They have their 5 or 6 big signings and with no Canterbury Cup they also have Newcastle Knights Cup squad players available to them, plus they have been able to sign some extra quality players returning to Newcastle area from QLD due to the QCup being cancelled. In a normal season the Maitland team would be much weaker then this with many of their current 17 playing elsewhere.

rightleftin

Juniors
Cronulla Caringbah have added another former 1st grader to their line up with Jacob Gagan playing for them today

And yet another in SS as Charly Runciman scored 2 tries for Helensbugh today.

Presidents Cup

West Wollongong 18 Glebe Burwood 18
Wenty 24 Western Rams 6
Maitland 30 Thirroul 10

SS

Cronulla Caringbah 24 East Campbelltown 14
Helensburgh 38 University 16

Wenty's win means that Rams are the only side without a win in Presidents Cup, while Wenty and East Campbelltown are both winless in SS after their round 1 game was cancelled.

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
The previously abandoned fixture between Helensburgh and Moorebank in Round 4 of Sydney Shield has been revived and will be played 7pm Wednesday at Terry Lamb Complex.

Belrose v Wenty from the same round is considered a forfeit.

rightleftin

Juniors
Windsor will sign a ex NRL player with over 300 games

He must owe Yates big time because most of the guys to achieve this market in more recent times would have lifetime earnings that higher than the total net worth of the Windsor Leagues club.

Butts74

Juniors
Looks like Helensburgh have hit some form coming into the back end of the season knocking off moorebank in their catch up game.

rightleftin

Juniors
The downside of only 4 Sydney teams in the Presidents Cup is that there are no games in the greater sydney this weekend. Hills are still theoretical possibilities for the top 4 but the 5 teams in front of them all have a game in hand.

Thirroul vs Glebe Burwood & Maitland vs Wollongong Wests are the vital games this weekend while North Sydney should wrap a spot against the wooden spoon bound Rams. Wenty vs CYMS has no bearing on the finals.

In SS, 7 teams are theoretically still in the hunt for the top 4, with only the winless East Campbelltown and Wenty no hope, but University should be closed out today, with expectations that Cronulla Caringbah should run riot. Belrose vs Ryde Eastwood tomorroe could be a Grand Final preview

rightleftin

Juniors
Presidents Cup

Dubbo 30 Wenty 10
Glebe 36 Thirroul 18
Maitland 48 West Wollongong 0

Incredible score from Maitland, with James Bradley scoring 5 tries before half time. In round 2 Bradley was relegated to the Pickers reserve grade side. Pat Matautai played his first game for Maitland today, and with the border closures, James Taylor, has ceased his fly in fly out regime and has relocated to the Hunter and signed with Maitland for 2021.

Dubbo look a fair team but the Wenty side looks weaker each week. Wollongong Wests will need a big turnaround to repel Hills next week with the season on the line for both sides.

SS

Cronulla Caringbah 26 University 20

University look a much better side than last year - it is surprising that Moorebank put 40 on them last week. The Sharks were either even or behind all game until the last few minutes. Jacob Gagan needs to go looking for the ball if it doesnt come to him.