What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All time greats

Steven Bradley

Juniors
Australia has produced many great centre threequarters over the years: Miles, Cronin, Renouf, Rogers and Meninga to name just a few, but I just can't understand why the Morris twins, Brett and Josh, hardly, if ever, are mentioned when "all-time greats" are debated.
They are both quick, strong, skilful and solid defenders who make very few mistakes; moreover, they have always been model professionals who have been a credit to Rugby League and sport as a whole.

Steven Bradley
West Yorkshire
UK

Yeah why is that? I don't see them as a type of players demanding elite money

Josh got a big offer from the dogs.
We didn’t make the effort to keep Brett. I can’t recall exactly the circumstances but there was preference to invest in others at the time and he also went to the dogs. Was a travesty. He’s arguably in career-best form some 5 seasons later..

Knight Vision

First Grade
They are both quick, strong, skilful and solid defenders who make very few mistakes; moreover, they have always been model professionals who have been a credit to Rugby League and sport as a whole
Good players no doubt, but surely you cannot be serious about mentioning them among the all time greats? "Solid" "few mistakes" arent words considered when talking about all time greats.

They arent even players that should be added to the Hall of Fame, lest the concept go much the way of the Immortals concept which will very soon include everyone and render itself a farce.

What makes a the concept so prestigious is its rarity, an exclusive club of the highest honour. Start handing them out like candy and soon no one will give a f**k about it.

some11

Referee
I used to absolutely hate the morris bros for their knack of scoring even when they looked busted.

Testament to their longevity in this game. They just don't quit. Roosters reuniting them is a masterstroke.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Good players no doubt, but surely you cannot be serious about mentioning them among the all time greats? "Solid" "few mistakes" arent words considered when talking about all time greats.

They arent even players that should be added to the Hall of Fame, lest the concept go much the way of the Immortals concept which will very soon include everyone and render itself a farce.

What makes a the concept so prestigious is its rarity, an exclusive club of the highest honour. Start handing them out like candy and soon no one will give a f**k about it.
Shouldn't even be added to the Hall of Fame?

I mean, Brett Morris will finish his career as the 4th highest try scorer in history at worst.

At least 2 Premierships a decade apart, 23 trys in 18 Tests for Australia, and the best winger of his generation.

Exactly what is your criteria for Hall of Fame if that isn't worthy?

This Year?

Immortal
Meh.
Brett is just a winger and Josh is a centre who was unwanted in a club building towards a premiership. Luckily the family club let them suckle after they were abandoned until they were rescued by the kind hearted nursing home where they can be fed with a silver spoon.

Hutty1986

Immortal

Are you taking the piss?

_Johnsy

Referee
Shouldn't even be added to the Hall of Fame?

I mean, Brett Morris will finish his career as the 4th highest try scorer in history at worst.

At least 2 Premierships a decade apart, 23 trys in 18 Tests for Australia, and the best winger of his generation.

Exactly what is your criteria for Hall of Fame if that isn't worthy?
Surname of Gidley perhaps?

Vee

First Grade
The brothers' strength is their professionalism. They consistently come up with the best option in any scenario they encounter and both are occasionally outrageously brilliant.

I'd be very comfortable with one or both in any team I support but the greats are routinely brilliant.

T.S Quint

Coach

You may be able to question Josh’s credentials to be in the hall of fame, but Brett is a definite induction. One of the best wingers of all time and a pretty damn good fullback too.