What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 15 Vs Broncos

gitano

Juniors
Jacob Host is a good backup however, we need a 'like for like' for Frizell. If De Belin becomes available, he can be the 'like for like' for Graham. I doubt 300k a season will win the race for Welch so, Millward had better sharpen his pencil or he will miss out as usual.
Making them is cheaper than buying them.

Not going to get our club anywhere playing chequebook rugby league.

gitano

Juniors
The roosters did...
We don't have that luxury plain and simple.

To be honest, I don't want to either.
Go through that Roosters side, or the winning teams of the last 2 years, a Tigers junior, a Storm ring in, a Souffs player....none of it truly belongs to the Roosters.

As a result, it's all hollow. The community connection to the team is missing.

The funny thing about our fans is that so many are stuck in a no mans land.
They want identity, history, juniors, community. On the other hand, it's buy everyone and run it like any other franchise - with no identity whatsoever.

I look at players. What are they putting a jersey on for? Money? Everyone wants money. Someone who gives a shit about the badge on the jersey, over instagram fame gets my vote though.

Happy to miss finals if the team picked represents me and my club.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Dont normally try to criticise players in particular after a win but seriously Hunt needs to improve his passing from dummy half.....he threw some absolute rubbish tonite...what happened to hitting the chest of players at pace....with the speed of the game today the poor receiver gets smashed everytime because they have to reach or pull the ball down......and dont think for one minute Young will improve this area of his game...imo he was the worst and laziest distributor of the pill from that position that Ive ever seen......on another note the officials really need to get onto Boyd....hes always a mile offside in all the games Ive watched this year
he threw a couple of dodgies but he is just so much better at dummy half, its a different team with him there. Dufty saved Hunts arse there near the end.

slippery5

Juniors
Use of bench was disappointing tonight.

The boys tried hard.

We played conservatively which kept them in the game.

special mention for Brisbane’s best player, Henry Perenara.

Norman scored and I felt Host’s try should have been allowed. Clune didn’t let go of the ball.

Happy to win ugly.

Much work and improvement required before we are competitive.
Unfortunately it was the correct decision, like cricket you have to have your hands under the ball when it hits the ground, which he didn't, so you can say, the only reason he re-gripped the ball is because it came in contact with the ground.

slippery5

Juniors
My take always
  1. Refreshingly honest and completely comprehensible presser.
  2. Attack looked much better albeit clunky and not sustained long enough but good potential on show.
  3. Defence is a mess and needs lots of attention.
  4. As much as the defence was bad the wingers were better and didn’t run up and in. Incorrect marking up and wrong counting from around the ruck created the issue as it meant wingers were marking centres.
  5. Aitken passed when he shouldn’t and failed to pass when he should and misread the attack in the Staggs try.
  6. Lawrie is struggling defensively in the middle if he has any great involvement in tacking the ball up especially in consecutive sets.
  7. Broncs weren’t great do we have to be guarded in our assessment.
  8. Lomax competes unbelievably and think god he goes as he covers for others who don’t.
  9. Bench usage was strange but means coach had faith so some good and some bad in that.
  10. Enough to suggest no changes but also enough to show some changes would not necessarily be bad next Tuesday will be interesting.
Points 5 & 6 are correct & is why point 10. is incorrect. LOL
I know I keep going on about them but someone tell me what they bring to benefit the team, because I know what they don't bring, that hinders the team.

Old Timer

Coach
Graeme Eadie wouldnt have stopped Staggs at that point.
At least he would have tried and that is the point that is contention.

If Dufty commits to defend then Staggs has to make a decision to run through him and run the risk of being tackled or tripping over Dufty or throw a pass which may or may not have gone to hand but as it played out he threw the dummy and strolled over.

If it had of been Wombat or Changa then Staggs would have had to have dragged them over with him.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
At least he would have tried and that is the point that is contention.

If Dufty commits to defend then Staggs has to make a decision to run through him and run the risk of being tackled or tripping over Dufty or throw a pass which may or may not have gone to hand but as it played out he threw the dummy and strolled over.

If it had of been Wombat or Changa then Staggs would have had to have dragged them over with him.
Spot on!

Old Timer

Coach
Points 5 & 6 are correct & is why point 10. is incorrect. LOL
I know I keep going on about them but someone tell me what they bring to benefit the team, because I know what they don't bring, that hinders the team.
The desire of winning regardless of how lack lustre it is, is what drives the intention not to change.

Plenty in here that suffer with the same ideology in that wins should be savoured and the discussion of change be avoided as the win outweighs the desire to be better for longer.

possm

Coach
The desire of winning regardless of how lacklustre it is, is what drives the intention not to change.

Plenty in here that suffer with the same ideology in that wins should be savored and the discussion of change be avoided as the win outweighs the desire to be better for longer.
For 6 years Mary made his 'safe' decisions on selections, game plan, and bench management. Those 'safe' selections did not prove to be a winning strategy. Now just imagine if Mary did the 'obvious' instead of what he believed to be 'safe'.

Our season is over and a new coach will be appointed soon. Now is the best time to do the obvious and move away from what did not work over most of the past few years.

There is no upside in keeping Aitken at left centre, but there could be an insight into seeing how young Feagai goes in that position.

Norman is a dud and we need to move him on but do we drop him and use another one of our own in that position or do we recruit from outside the club. We won't really know the answer until we test players like Sailor, Dufty and maybe even Sullivan. Unfortunately, there is not enough time left to test them all now but at least try Dufty or Sailor. There is nothing to lose. If Dufty fails at 6 then he can play fullback. However, if he is a raging success then the question is answered in the positive.

The Hunt move to hooker is an example of what was obvious taking so long to become reality at the Dragons.

SBD82

Coach
The desire of winning regardless of how lack lustre it is, is what drives the intention not to change.

Plenty in here that suffer with the same ideology in that wins should be savoured and the discussion of change be avoided as the win outweighs the desire to be better for longer.
I’ll guarantee that you can’t name one person for whom the win outweighs the desire to be better for longer.

Enjoying wins and wanting long term improvement are not mutually exclusive. It’s possible to have a nuanced view of the wins: take the time to celebrate them, but understand that improvement is necessary for long term success.

Old Timer

Coach
I’ll guarantee that you can’t name one person for whom the win outweighs the desire to be better for longer.

Enjoying wins and wanting long term improvement are not mutually exclusive. It’s possible to have a nuanced view of the wins: take the time to celebrate them, but understand that improvement is necessary for long term success.
Well if what you say is true why is that some believe that providing a critique after a win = not enjoying a win?

For some to be anything but effusive is met with criticism and “shut the f**k up” philosophy even after the lamest of wins.

If honesty and fair analysis and enjoying a win is considered mutually exclusive in the eyes of some then my statement stands true for me.

SBD82

Coach
Well if what you say is true why is that some believe that providing a critique after a win = not enjoying a win?

For some to be anything but effusive is met with criticism and “shut the f**k up” philosophy even after the lamest of wins.

If honesty and fair analysis and enjoying a win is considered mutually exclusive in the eyes of some then my statement stands true for me.
Could you point to the specific post that you are reacting to?

Old Timer

Coach
Would you?
I believe that you are a keen follower of things in this place.

If you were able to find my post and question it then I am more than positive that you would have seen other posts as well.

So taking that into account me pointing out what you have already read will make no difference to either side of the conversation.

Apologists commentary as they were often referred to have been highlighted in here & JA over many seasons and have been the cause of many arguments and dissension and are well documented so what I referred to in my post is no new revelation it is just a recurring theme.

Having a critique of a game being dismissed and being told to "enjoy the win" as some definition that a critique therefore means I didn't enjoy the win is a clear demonstration of the point I made.

SBD82

Coach
I believe that you are a keen follower of things in this place.

If you were able to find my post and question it then I am more than positive that you would have seen other posts as well.

So taking that into account me pointing out what you have already read will make no difference to either side of the conversation.

Apologists commentary as they were often referred to have been highlighted in here & JA over many seasons and have been the cause of many arguments and dissension and are well documented so what I referred to in my post is no new revelation it is just a recurring theme.

Having a critique of a game being dismissed and being told to "enjoy the win" as some definition that a critique therefore means I didn't enjoy the win is a clear demonstration of the point I made.
For someone who holds others to such a high standard, that’s a very disappointing post.