What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Coach 2021 and Beyond

Who do you want to see as Dragons coach?

• Total voters

George Sancti

Juniors
If the club does have a senior coach lined up for 2022, and needs to fill the void for twelve months, then I hope they delay the decision until the end of 2021. Any considerer for extending Dean Young must be on the basis of his performance in all remaining games. Should an out of work coach such as Geoff Toovey come into calculations, then a one year contract with a second year extension in the Clubs favour should be the best on offer.

LINESPEED

Juniors
I would love Bellamy but Cant see it happening
Why would he want to come to such a rabble and essentially start from scratch at this end of his career
We could have been close a few years ago nailing him and I think threw a lot dollars and he wasn’t interested then
but he says he has had enough often enough and not looking for a drawn out coaching career
Wouldn’t be surprised if he does 1-2 yrs more at storm and mentors Cam thru take over
Legacy intact

Then u might get him as a coaching director or something, still maybe a good thing

Where are his family mainly based? That’s often a factor

Would love to have him though , turns average into excellent

I just can’t believe our inept BOD allowed this to drag on for 7 years as you say

The BOD need a big broom thru

Bellamy would be great of course - as would Bennett, as they tick the criteria
- & have
impeccable CV’s

I think Bennett will be loathe to commit before the rather hastily announced 4-6 week deadline Webb imposed?

I mean the psychological impact on Souths might devastate their run to the finals.
I remember when Bennett announced his departure from the Dragons mid 2011 we may have lost the next 9 games?

So it’s a tricky timeframe that could suit Deano in a way.

Also I doubt Bennett, Bellamy or even Fitzgibbon would formally apply - rather they’d want to be presented with the gig on a platter?

Yes Board renewal has to be the next phase of change

.... and I suspect Andrew Gordon has to wear a good degree of responsibility for the lost million to McGregor.
Similarly the Bronco Board should go if Siebold costs them millions in payout for their similarly ludicrous decisions.

Perhaps Andy & Bruce,
in an act of contrition,
could stump up the big bucks

- to make the gig irresistible to Bellamy or Bennett?

Last edited:

to_ddeath

Coach
Bellamy would be great of course - as would be Bennett, as they tick the criteria
- & have
impeccable CV’s

I think Bennett will be loathe to commit before the rather hastily announced 4-6 week deadline Webb imposed?

I mean the psychological impact on Souths might devastate their run to the finals.
I remember when Bennett announced his departure from the Dragons mid 2011 we may have lost the next 9 games?

Also I doubt Bennett, Bellamy or even Fitzgibbon would formally apply - rather they’d want to be presented with the gig on a platter?

.... and I suspect Andrew Gordon has to wear a good degree of responsibility for the lost million to McGregor.
Similarly the Bronco Board should go if Siebold costs them millions in payout for their similarly ludicrous decisions.

Perhaps Andy & Bruce,
in an act of contrition,

- & have
impeccable CV’s

Perhaps Andy & Bruce,
in an act of contrition,

they already tried to lure him over several years ago, offered more than they offered Bennett to stay.
Was very close to happening apparently...remember something about support staff being an obstacle.

Gareth67

First Grade
- & have
impeccable CV’s

Perhaps Andy & Bruce,
in an act of contrition,

Yes it does present a problem with Bennett in the way that you have suggested it Linespeed .

He could not - yet again do what no coach should ever do and place the success of his teams finals chances in jeopardy by committing to another team before the semis - it would be a cardinal sin .

However he has done it before , but in saying that he has said that he has no intention of going anywhere next year - have we heard those same words before from the great poker - player of the NRL ?

Nobody just ever knows what Bennett intends to do , only the man himself .

Como Connection

First Grade
I never said it is going to happen I’m merely telling you what I was told by someone.

It will come out but it was said last week the coach they want is not available until 22. But I can assure you contact has been made to Bellamy direct of interest in coming over.
Thanks for the information, there is always someone on here to rubbish information received and passed on in good faith.
Keep up the good work.
CC

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Well according to Rothfield Flanagan will be departing at seasons end. So just maybe a senior coach is coming with young as assistant?
Hopefully that is a win win. I like the look of Young, he speaks well and he’s the sort of player I think make good coaches in that he’s not gifted but has squeezed every ounce of talent out of himself and can do the same with other players. Bellamy was the same. I would like to see him continue under the mentoring of an experienced coach until he’s ready. We also get rid of Flanno of whom I’m not a fan. Has a real dishonest, backstabbing vibe to me.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
The coaching circus is getting weirder by the day.

My latest take on this is:

After re-listening to Young's coaches preview, I'm wondering if he inadvertantly let a little cat out of the bag.
His reply to a question about the head coaching position was interesting, basically saying "ask me again in 6 weeks wether I WANT the job or not".
Add to this that the club seeks to announce a new coach in 4-6 weeks.

I also think along the lines that the club is seeking a "coaching director' rather than a 'new coach'. This would also tie in to the latest rumour that Flanno wont be here next year. Strange also that Bennet endorsed Young as coach.

So, my theory:
Young = head coach
Bennet = coaching director (ie: recruitement magnet)

Anyway, just my latest theory, who knows, it will probably change again tomorrow.

hazzbeen

Bench

After re-listening to Young's coaches preview, I'm wondering if he inadvertantly let a little cat out of the bag.
His reply to a question about the head coaching position was interesting, basically saying "ask me again in 6 weeks wether I WANT the job or not".

I also think along the lines that the club is seeking a "coaching director' rather than a 'new coach'. This would also tie in to the latest rumour that Flanno wont be here next year. Strange also that Bennet endorsed Young as coach.

So, my theory:
Young = head coach

Anyway, just my latest theory, who knows, it will probably change again tomorrow.
Like I said before Bring Back Mary .... Its getting too hard :p

SAP58

Juniors

So, my theory:
Young = head coach

Webb did say in an interview he liked the structure which involved the appointment of a coaching director as it worked well in his previous roles. Based on reports I think they will appoint a coaching director but their preference would still be a more experienced coach than Young in the head role but he is the back up plan if they cant get who they want. If Seibold leaves today and Green is announced as his replacement that is one less candidate that meets their reported requirements in the market.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Webb did say in an interview he liked the structure which involved the appointment of a coaching director as it worked well in his previous roles. Based on reports I think they will appoint a coaching director but their preference would still be a more experienced coach than Young in the head role but he is the back up plan if they cant get who they want. If Seibold leaves today and Green is announced as his replacement that is one less candidate that meets their reported requirements in the market.

Your right SAP58, it does! However, i must say, i'm ok with Saints overlooking Paul Green and letting him taking up a position at the Broncos.

I was continually astonished by the lack of imagination and same game plan that the Cowboys continually kept producing every week under his tenure. Easy to say .."Thurston this and Thurston that" but with that squad they could have been a bit more creative that the last few years. In my opinion, he failed to reinvent the side after they won the comp and despite making the GF i felt became too obvious in in their approach.

So why pay overs for that type of coaching again? Pass..

Last edited:

redv13

Bench
They are saying KW for the broncs not PG