What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Tiger05

First Grade
I can handle AD being on 650k albeit we paid big overs however I’m very confident we will get good value out of him when he moves to 5/8 as expected next season.

I reckon he may make it as a fullback and he could be better than JAC in that role. He might also be a good 6. I rate AD based on his performances for us.

Vozzy

Juniors
A state of origin winger won't solve much. We need better halves and now that Packer has finally shown he is quite useless means we need to look for another front rower who has go lateral movement. We are getting shredded around the ruck this is the number 1 issue at the moment the ruck defence because it probably is the Domino affect that causes the wingers defending 2 on 1 all the time.

Yes we have Musgrove and the guy from Parra but we need someone with experience and isn't totally past it.

I don't know why the tigers didn't just go the Canberra route and get players from England who play tough and never have to be out during origin.

Tiger05

First Grade
A state of origin winger won't solve much.

This is the concern right. He will solve something. We need some pace and he provides that. We have bigger problems though.

I don't know why Brooks has been so poor this year but we need at least 2 new high quality spine players.

Tiger05

First Grade
Surely we didn't pay AD $650k a season

I think it's overs if true but it's not terrible money for a decent spine player which I think he is becoming. I'd be leaving him at fullback. He is developing nicely. If he has JAC on the left wing I reckon it would be great.

The problem is we need at least one high quality half and Brooks playing at his best. Then we have to hope one of the hooker options we have comes good. I'm okay with Liddle and Simpkins even though Grant or B Smith would be great.

I don't know how you get a quality half. There are bugger all out there. Foran may be worth a shot but it's risky. It'd have to be low dollars. I think we will have to try and develop one.

WA Tiger

Bench
I think it's overs if true but it's not terrible money for a decent spine player which I think he is becoming. I'd be leaving him at fullback. He is developing nicely. If he has JAC on the left wing I reckon it would be great.

The problem is we need at least one high quality half and Brooks playing at his best. Then we have to hope one of the hooker options we have comes good. I'm okay with Liddle and Simpkins even though Grant or B Smith would be great...I didn’t k

I don't know how you get a quality half. There are bugger all out there. Foran may be worth a shot but it's risky. It'd have to be low dollars. I think we will have to try and develop one.
Think it’s overs Geez..And not speed tested...Im pretty sure it was less (had to have been) ..$5 something ..will we ever learn..I’d pretty much never heard of AD when his name came up..and none of us new if he was any good...Ah but he was tight with Madge before he got injured...Fine young man

Last edited:
We need a leader like Smith. Someone to manage the side who rarely goes missing.

plus he can kick.

Hes not up with the game at the moment, but can direct and organise.

BrotherJim05

Bench
650k for AD is insanely stupid. He has like what? 30 NRL games? If that?

Completely unproven in any position and we pay 650k? Boggles my fkn mind they keep doing this.

Fordy20

Juniors
Geez, I hope Souths are chipping in for Doueihi. That would take a little bit of sting out of it.

A state of origin winger won't solve much. We need better halves and now that Packer has finally shown he is quite useless means we need to look for another front rower who has go lateral movement. We are getting shredded around the ruck this is the number 1 issue at the moment the ruck defence because it probably is the Domino affect that causes the wingers defending 2 on 1 all the time.

Yes we have Musgrove and the guy from Parra but we need someone with experience and isn't totally past it.

I don't know why the tigers didn't just go the Canberra route and get players from England who play tough and never have to be out during origin.

Ivan went the other route and picked Kiwis so they would never be out during Origin, but the ones he picked were too old and busted. I reckon Christian Welch would be a handy signing if we're not in the mix for Tamou.

As for halves, I don't think there's any point chasing anyone while our defense is so poor and while we have so much cap space tied up in the spine players we already have.

Phil Gould

Juniors
I think it’s going to be a 3 year journey to go from finishing 9th to 8th because of all of the above, with the exception of AD. He’s not far off a 500k fullback, others are being paid far more and delivering less and you can’t expect a $1mill performance from a 500k player. I don’t think he has the pace to be the strike weapon everyone wants but he’s a solid player, aside from a few mistakes and the odd bad game. Hopefully he learns from his mistakes and Madge helps him strengthen up where needed. Players like AD and Talau will only get better under the right coach ...hopefully ...maybe ...please God. Anyway, it’s far better to spend overs, within reason, on a young prospect than double the money on an injury prone, past his prime, off the cuff ball runner, unless they are a game manager. That’s what the Tigers really need right now, a captain.

Paying overs at the start of a young developing player’s career is a gamble that needs to be taken sometimes. It’s a huge part of what recruitment and coaching is all about. It’s where the big payoff sometimes happens and then the club reaps the rewards, at the tail end of the player’s contract. Sometimes then, even a little loyalty is given in return for the faith shown in the player by the club. Then again, sometimes the player has a sook and breaks their word for more money.

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
650k for AD is insanely stupid. He has like what? 30 NRL games? If that?

Completely unproven in any position and we pay 650k? Boggles my fkn mind they keep doing this.

Here is the way I look at this. He is one of our top players atm. Sure he needs to improve but he has ability. I think he can turn into a top quality fullback. He won't be at the top echelon of players like the Turd, Ponga, RTS, Latrell and Turbo but he may be as good or better than someone like Gutho.

You are right in that it does sound too high but I think Souths were paying him top dollar as well.

Phil Gould

Juniors
Here is the way I look at this. He is one of our top players atm. Sure he needs to improve but he has ability. I think he can turn into a top quality fullback. He won't be at the top echelon of players like the Turd, Ponga, RTS, Latrell and Turbo but he may be as good or better than someone like Gutho.

You are right in that it does sound too high but I think Souths were paying him top dollar as well.
Souths are chipping in, if it wasn’t for that then his price looks a little high. We will see over the next couple of years.

WA Tiger

Bench
If the value of a player is measured by the level of surprise and relief that player feels when the deal ($650k) is done Id say AD is worth a bit less..

Tigerm

First Grade
That is right. Is he our best player ? Who else is better ? Grant and Luciano are possibly better but you could debate that.

I wasn't sold on his signing at the start but he has been great for us.
Its a good question as to who is our best player? Unfortunately we start at a very low base to measure this and not a lot of contenders.
I'm not in the AD fan club though. I would think Luciano would be my pick.

Tiger05

First Grade
Its a good question as to who is our best player? Unfortunately we start at a very low base to measure this and not a lot of contenders.
I'm not in the AD fan club though. I would think Luciano would be my pick.

Luciano, AD, maybe Aloiai & definitely Grant. I think I'd take Grant over all of them but Grant has the hog play in him which pisses me off after watching Robbie do that in the past. It'd be tough for me to pick between AD and Grant.

I'd pick AD over Luc but Luc is awesome. Our signings have been good this year. They've been our best players. It shows how crap our overall team is but to be fair Benji and Brooks haven't been good. If those two performed to the level they can we'd be in the finals.