What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who are we buying for 2021 onwards

JJ

Immortal
It makes me physically sick reading the articles about that dick today and the absolute pain that he caused. Ridiculous that he is so protected in jail too.
FWIW, thankfully the judge didn't think long about the sentence

Blair

Coach
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12359668

Sign this fella - he's already done the Warriors jumper proud!!

Unlike a lot of our players over the years this guy has brought plenty of pride to the jersey.

As for the terrorist, he'll get life without parole in jail. I think that time should be spent in Australia. The Australian Govt. are quite brutal with their denial of Kiwis' access to public funds over there, therefore, it would be a consistent gesture to offer to 're-home' their terrorist.

JJ

Immortal
Unlike a lot of our players over the years this guy has brought plenty of pride to the jersey.

As for the terrorist, he'll get life without parole in jail. I think that time should be spent in Australia. The Australian Govt. are quite brutal with their denial of Kiwis' access to public funds over there, therefore, it would be a consistent gesture to offer to 're-home' their terrorist.

he got life without parole, did worry me that he might not, but one suspects the judge didn't need to contemplate...

strangely the anti prison mob have been silent, as have Labour and Green types who say the justice system is terrible, unfair and too harsh... guess context is everything - maybe I'm getting old, but should be a few more with this type of sentence imo

Be nice to send him to Straya - but as long as he never even gets a hint of freedom again, guess that's all that can be done... and what he did can't be undone...

Edit: Winston already saying send him home - if there's votes in it, Winston will say it... https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12359853

LeagueNut

First Grade
Jack de Belin should learn today whether or not his case is going to a trial. If not he'll be a free man.

I wonder if Proctor is the back-up option if JdB doesn't work out?

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
crikey the process takes a while. poor bastard if he didn't do it

Yeah they need to revisit this no fault thing, it’s 2 years out of a guys career who hasn’t been proven guilty

Fainu is in the same boat, he got a court date for July next year last week

Penrose_11

Juniors
Im guessing the coppers have a fairly good argument if it’s making it to trial after all these delays. I think JdB must be sweating it big time on the outcome. We should steer clear and look for better prospects

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Yeah they need to revisit this no fault thing, it’s 2 years out of a guys career who hasn’t been proven guilty

Fainu is in the same boat, he got a court date for July next year last week
what's the solution though? Imagine they allowed them to play but then they got found guilty. It's a tough one but I think it was just the perfect storm this year in the sense of COVID hitting and delaying everything.

Not having a go at you either but im genuinely curious what an alternative solution to the no fault stand down could be, coz I have nothing

JJ

Immortal
Are they being paid?

As Rich says, innocent until proven guilty, that's the fundamental nature of our justice system... then IMO if guilty throw the book at them...

Two years is a big chunk of an average NRL player's career - not everyone can play for years like Smith, Benji, and dare I say it Blair (his physical resilience is admirable...)

Rich102

Staff member
If he was a bricklayer would he be prevented from working?
Why should it be different because he plays football?

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
what's the solution though? Imagine they allowed them to play but then they got found guilty. It's a tough one but I think it was just the perfect storm this year in the sense of COVID hitting and delaying everything.

Not having a go at you either but im genuinely curious what an alternative solution to the no fault stand down could be, coz I have nothing

It is a tough one, maybe a 4 week stand down then back to business ? I only suggest that because that is what Brett Stewart received before being proven innocent. These cases over the years more have been proven innocent than guilty

JJ

Immortal
To be fair, you don’t get proven innocent by a jury, just not guilty...

mid they’re entitled to work then they should work

but this has nothing to do with justice, all about optics, the inclusive family/women image they peddle, and sponsorships

TheDMC

Bench
Wonder what the common approach is for major sports elsewhere - US sports, EPL, union, ...therein probably lies the answer. Bigger brains than those in the NRL administration have dealt with this already...

jaseg

Juniors
Wonder what the common approach is for major sports elsewhere - US sports, EPL, union, ...therein probably lies the answer. Bigger brains than those in the NRL administration have dealt with this already...

From what I've seen bigger international leagues seem to be more lenient - may just be a sample size thing, as I follow NRL/Rugby/NFL and some soccer... and nothing else, to any degree - so I don't even get the big story headlines from other sports.

EPL is usually up to the club. Adam Johnson (convicted of sexual activity with a minor) was playing up until his trial started, I believe - and may only have stopped playing at that point because he entered a guilty plea and had his contract immediately torn up. Had he gone with a not guilty, he may have continued to play until it was resolved... not sure.

Not sure about other sports but NFL is case by case.. commissioner has a HUGE amount of discretion given by the CBA (waaaay too much). If the case was super public he'd probably land on the commissioner's exempt list (I don't think he'd even be paid in that case, but might be wrong?), otherwise he'd be free to play. But... I mean, the pressure would have to be significant on the league, as we've seen in previous cases (Ray Rice....). Even then, the punishment would likely not be anywhere near missing 2 seasons of play. Greg Hardy got convicted of belting the f**k out of his missus (on several occasions) and got a 10 game suspension (in a 16 game season), later reduced to 4 games. Messed up - guys have been suspended for as long/longer for weed.

TheDMC

Bench
From what I've seen bigger international leagues seem to be more lenient - may just be a sample size thing, as I follow NRL/Rugby/NFL and some soccer... and nothing else, to any degree - so I don't even get the big story headlines from other sports.

EPL is usually up to the club. Adam Johnson (convicted of sexual activity with a minor) was playing up until his trial started, I believe - and may only have stopped playing at that point because he entered a guilty plea and had his contract immediately torn up. Had he gone with a not guilty, he may have continued to play until it was resolved... not sure.

Not sure about other sports but NFL is case by case.. commissioner has a HUGE amount of discretion given by the CBA (waaaay too much). If the case was super public he'd probably land on the commissioner's exempt list (I don't think he'd even be paid in that case, but might be wrong?), otherwise he'd be free to play. But... I mean, the pressure would have to be significant on the league, as we've seen in previous cases (Ray Rice....). Even then, the punishment would likely not be anywhere near missing 2 seasons of play. Greg Hardy got convicted of belting the f**k out of his missus (on several occasions) and got a 10 game suspension (in a 16 game season), later reduced to 4 games. Messed up - guys have been suspended for as long/longer for weed.
Yeah maybe mentioning America wasn't a good idea, they is some messed up hombres

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Going back a while now, but Kobe Bryant continued to play through his rape allegations

Read a book on him recently, he would have court in Denver in the morning, hop on a plane in the afternoon and play that night

Latest posts