What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fowards Impact.

Como Connection

First Grade
What an alarming set of statistics. Laurie may give his all and I can’t fault his effort but unfortunately he is totally ineffectual given he has played 16 games. We desperately need to strengthen our go forward next year by finding a couple of quality strong forwards.
He cost them the game losing the ball inside the Titans half with 5 to go, try straight away from the next set.
Receives far too much game time and ball when the team is on attack.
CC

Dragon David

First Grade
Our forwards are way inferior to many of the other club's forwards. They just cannot dominate and lack impact in attack and defence.

To me if we replaced at least half of them for top of the range ones (a pity that Welch is not coming) I am sure that our backs would capitalise and be scoring a lot more and we would be winning a lot more.

Mjab

Juniors
Our forwards are way inferior to many of the other club's forwards. They just cannot dominate and lack impact in attack and defence.

To me if we replaced at least half of them for top of the range ones (a pity that Welch is not coming) I am sure that our backs would capitalise and be scoring a lot more and we would be winning a lot more.
Agree but only if EA was out injured

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Agree we need a coach that attracts players but Millward is to blame for some terrible contract extensions and buys
I think all people in his position are at times. Not saying he’s good, but it’s not easy being forced to pay overs and recruit players not because they are the best available but because they are the only ones willing.

possm

Coach
John Asiata is a beast. Big bopper with a 7’s head on his shoulders. Rips us a new one every time we play them. I’d take him any day of the week
Yes I'm sure there are a few coming off contract at seasons end but does Millward have a clue?

Bring on our new coach asap

qld redvee

Juniors
Ellis apparently
Tangles,
You could imagine Ellis wondering about his future ... He was signed as Grahams replacement ( immediate game time you would think ) and then how long did he sit on the sidelines before the token 5 minute spell from supercoach ? This kid has potential and has the size we need . Maybe the new coach announcement is what we need to give us a starting platform to rebuild
supercoach could have literally put ellis in from day 1 as graham had really hit the wall and wasnt even starting . so ellis arrives thinking he has made it only to meet supercoach If only ellis was 33 in marys eyes !!!! He needs more game time

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Tangles,
You could imagine Ellis wondering about his future ... He was signed as Grahams replacement ( immediate game time you would think ) and then how long did he sit on the sidelines before the token 5 minute spell from supercoach ? This kid has potential and has the size we need . Maybe the new coach announcement is what we need to give us a starting platform to rebuild
supercoach could have literally put ellis in from day 1 as graham had really hit the wall and wasnt even starting . so ellis arrives thinking he has made it only to meet supercoach If only ellis was 33 in marys eyes !!!! He needs more game time
I actually think Ellis has got a good shot with us. At Panthers he probably played a handful of games and didn’t look close to making their 17 since coming over he’s already added to his tally. Maybe another team has spotted him and signed him on a 3 year deal. Something we haven’t offered him?

St Tangles

Bench
I actually think Ellis has got a good shot with us. At Panthers he probably played a handful of games and didn’t look close to making their 17 since coming over he’s already added to his tally. Maybe another team has spotted him and signed him on a 3 year deal. Something we haven’t offered him?
Apparently not offered a deal anywhere yet

possm

Coach
I’m not a Lawrie fan
Tries hard but little impact
Has been given a pretty good run this year as well

I see more potential in Host of late
Lawrie is a prop these days and Host is a backrow forward, are you suggesting that Host plays prop?

In my opinion Vaughan, Kerr, and Blacker are the only props we currently have that are worth keeping. Ellis and K Sims are signed until the end of this season. Merrin and Lawrie should make way for a couple of our juniors to come through.

We should recruit
two tough NRL props to replace De Belin and Graham and at the same time one top grade SOO backrow forward to replace Frizell.

Consider buying the following forwards before they are snapped up by other clubs:

Props
RHYS KENNEDY - Broncos
KEEGAN HIPGRAVE - Titans
TOM AMONE - Souths

Backrow
KEVIN PROCTOR - Titans
AIDAN GUERRA - Knights

Mjab

Juniors
Lawrie is a prop these days and Host is a backrow forward, are you suggesting that Host plays prop?

In my opinion Vaughan, Kerr, and Blacker are the only props we currently have that are worth keeping. Ellis and K Sims are signed until the end of this season. Merrin and Lawrie should make way for a couple of our juniors to come through.

We should recruit
two tough NRL props to replace De Belin and Graham and at the same time one top grade SOO backrow forward to replace Frizell.

Consider buying the following forwards before they are snapped up by other clubs:

Props
RHYS KENNEDY - Broncos
KEEGAN HIPGRAVE - Titans
TOM AMONE - Souths

Backrow
KEVIN PROCTOR - Titans
AIDAN GUERRA - Knights

No I understand I was just talking about forwards rather than them interchangeable these days
I’d rather have Blacker given a go

qld redvee

Juniors
thought Ford made a lot of ground everytime he took the ball up , it would be nice if the rest could make the metres . To me Lawrie is kept on when he seems buggered and needs a rest where a fresh body would be an advantage Unfortunately we are stuck with merrin due to a 2 year deal. Kerr needs longer minutes maybe kerr to replace Lawrie after 20 minutes And agree with forum that we cant keep using mcinness as a battering ram and also need to stop the woeful way our forwards take it up on the 5th tackle without looking for any offload or spread its an absolute momentum killer. If young is looking at resting hunt then i would revert to the old spine and push mcinness back to hooker and bring on ellis or tyrell - drop merrin completely

Inisai Toga

Juniors
thought Ford made a lot of ground everytime he took the ball up , it would be nice if the rest could make the metres . To me Lawrie is kept on when he seems buggered and needs a rest where a fresh body would be an advantage Unfortunately we are stuck with merrin due to a 2 year deal. Kerr needs longer minutes maybe kerr to replace Lawrie after 20 minutes And agree with forum that we cant keep using mcinness as a battering ram and also need to stop the woeful way our forwards take it up on the 5th tackle without looking for any offload or spread its an absolute momentum killer. If young is looking at resting hunt then i would revert to the old spine and push mcinness back to hooker and bring on ellis or tyrell - drop merrin completely
If people backed Merrin up he would look okay but I’ve been thinking that he’s whole career. He could have had a different career in the 70’s Merrin, where they valued ‘the offload‘ more; not sure how much petrol left in the tank now.

Personally, I’d never start with Lawrie; plenty of ticker, but from what we’ve seen I believe he’s a solid fill in as he doesn’t appear at this stage to posses other dimensions to his game.

I’d start with Kerr now, as I feel he’s more likely to make it in the long run, but he needs way more game time to soak up the necessary experiences so the Dragons get the benefits in 2021.

He’s been in the ‘promising stage‘ for a while now.

Last edited:

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
The problem with our forwards are they lack punch and mongrel.....if you even dare to compere them with our 2010 pack we are sadly behind the 8 ball...Smith, Scott, Costigan Creagh and Weyman hit hard and often...then they were backed up with Young ,Saffy and the like.....this in turn promotes a healthy and workable spine....unfortunately ours is an uncoordinated rabble ...tbh Dufty, Norman, Clune, Hunt/McInnes dont know what their current role is .....and untill we get a Coach with vision, structure, game management and a firm hand expect much of the same moving forward

Inisai Toga

Juniors
The problem with our forwards are they lack punch and mongrel.....if you even dare to compere them with our 2010 pack we are sadly behind the 8 ball...Smith, Scott, Costigan Creagh and Weyman hit hard and often...then they were backed up with Young ,Saffy and the like.....this in turn promotes a healthy and workable spine....unfortunately ours is an uncoordinated rabble ...tbh Dufty, Norman, Clune, Hunt/McInnes dont know what their current role is .....and untill we get a Coach with vision, structure, game management and a firm hand expect much of the same moving forward
Agree BSE, even when we went on that early run in 2018 when Simms and Co made the Origin side, it was our defence that was winning us those early games; we were really smacking them in tackles and they were getting up slowly. The attack then just benefited from the foundation laid down from the stinging defence.

Latest posts