What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LU Panthers Forum Player of the Year 2020

Pomoz

Bench
@Pomoz I too was a bit underwhelmed by this weeks instalment. I look forward to your analysis each week, it often brings things I missed to my attention.
Well thanks guys, I thought Westy was being sarcastic with the little haha he put at the end. It is nice to get good feedback. I'll do better next time, I promise.

I have a sneaking feeling this game will be a lot tougher than many people think, so probably plenty to write about. We are due a concentration lapse and a loss. Losing Api and Kikau takes out two strike weapons against a desperate team. Too back is a plus one, but he will be rusty, so more like a plus half, leaving us 1.5 strike weapons down. I can't wait for this week's match......

WestyLife

First Grade
Well thanks guys, I thought Westy was being sarcastic with the little haha he put at the end. It is nice to get good feedback. I'll do better next time, I promise.

I have a sneaking feeling this game will be a lot tougher than many people think, so probably plenty to write about. We are due a concentration lapse and a loss. Losing Api and Kikau takes out two strike weapons against a desperate team. Too back is a plus one, but he will be rusty, so more like a plus half, leaving us 1.5 strike weapons down. I can't wait for this week's match......

Didn't mean to sound sarcastic. Honestly it's nice to have content having a real look at the footy. The media sure aren't giving it to us with 24/7 Broncos in crisis.

maple_69

Bench
To’o being back first game might be a plus half, but getting Naden into centre over May is also a plus half. It makes that whole edge much more functional and I suspect with Kikau out, we’ll send a lot of traffic that way.

Api is the big out, everything goes through him. The Tigers did better than anyone in the ruck battle last time we played so if they can do the same we won’t have the room we’ve enjoyed all year.

Looking forward to seeing Blore play!

Pomoz

Bench
Didn't mean to sound sarcastic. Honestly it's nice to have content having a real look at the footy. The media sure aren't giving it to us with 24/7 Broncos in crisis.
Can't argue with that. I'm sure Anthony Siebold is sick to death of it. He might have done a bad job of coaching but he hasn't been helped by the media pressure.

Kilkenny

Coach
Round 14 vs Sharks

Edwards 8
Mansour 8
Crichton 8
May 6
Naden 7
Luai 8
Cleary 7
Tamou 8
Koroisau 7
Fisher-Harris 8
Martin 9
Kikau 7
Yeo 8

Laurie 7
Leniu 7
Leota 7
Tetevano 7

This was a really good performance by the team. Even those with limited minutes like Tetavano (18 minutes) and Laurie, did their job when on the field with plenty of involvement. Leniu, what a beast and at 19 he hasn't even stopped physically developing yet. Not much else to be said really. A good time to be a Panther fan.

Really piss poor effort I’m afraid after re reading it again. Well below your usual standard. AYOK.

The_Frog

First Grade
Round 16 vs Tigers

Edwards 7.5
Mansour 6.5
Crichton 6
Naden 6
To'o 7
Luai 8
Cleary 7
Tamou 6
Kenny 7
Fisher-Harris 7
May 7.5
Martin 7
Yeo 7
Leota 6.5
Leniu 6
Burns 6
Tetevano 6

soc123_au

Staff member
Round 16 vs Tigers

Edwards 7
Mansour 6
Crichton 6
Naden 6
To'o 7
Luai 8
Cleary 7
Tamou 7
Kenny 8
Fisher-Harris 7
May 7
Martin 7
Yeo 7
Leota 6
Leniu 6
Burns 6
Tetevano 6

Kenny filled in admirably for Api, I think last night was his best game in 1st grade so far. I'd say he has learned quite a bit from Api this year.

age.s

First Grade
Edwards 7 - One error but mostly very solid defensively and on kick returns. Not the most explosive game though.
Mansour 7 - One mistake and looked a bit down on energy but took his try well.
Crichton 6 - Not his most influential game, but did reasonably well in a tough matchup against BJ.
Naden 8 - Outstanding. Some superb passes (unlucky to get called on the overhead one), superb takes and hit like a truck in defense. First game I've seen him do all the little things perfectly. Looks Like he's loving his footy.
To'o 7 - Good return. Took his try well and looks like he's lost nothing speed and energy wise.
Luai 9 - Fantastic game. His try was a supreme effort with 3 players on his back. He follows it up with a sublime bit of skill to put May through the line. Oh and he can actually tackle. He's a great mix of skill and toughness atm.
Cleary 7 - Not his best night but still booted the Tigers into next week. Great bit of work for Martin's try.
Tamou 7 - His first stints are very very strong. Playing as well as I've seen him.
Kenny 8 - Best game in first grade. Was always a tough bugger but seems to have learned when to run.
JFH 8 - Held the middle together yet again. Has as big an engine as I've seen.
May 8 - Like a few others I thought he played better when he wasn't locked to an edge. Got no problem with Cleary trying him there but he's best when popping up across the park. Still put two unreal passes on for tries. Hes in rare form.
Martin 8 - Great to see our brick getting fired up and giving it to them where it hurt. Has gone up several levels recently.
Yeo 7 - Was going well before getting injured.

Leota 7 - Great energy. Always so good at landing on his front and getting up quickly. Errors are gone from his game.
Leinu 6 - Unlucky not to get over. Not a huge amount of time on the park.
Burns 6 - Not a bad game but probably not going to come into his own this year. One to watch.
Tetevano 6 - As always good defensive impact just when we need it.

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
Round 16 vs Tigers

Edwards 8
Mansour 7
Crichton 7
Naden 7
To'o 7
Luai 9
Cleary 8
Tamou 7
Kenny 8
Fisher-Harris 8
May 7
Martin 7
Yeo 7
Leota 6
Leniu 6
Burns 5
Tetevano 6

The_Frog

First Grade
Round 15 vs Sharks Average Ratings

Edwards 7.6
Mansour 8.5
Crichton 7.4
May 5.9
Naden 6.9
Luai 8.4
Cleary 7.3
Tamou 7.5
Koroisau 7.3
Fisher-Harris 7.3
Martin 9.1
Kikau 7.6
Yeo 8.1

Laurie 5.5
Leniu 5.9
Leota 6.6
Tetevano 6.6

Standings (games)

1. Fisher-Harris 1179 (15)
2. Yeo 1157 (15)
3. Koroisau 1054 (14)
4. Luai 1049 (15)
5. Tamou 1045 (15)
6. Crichton 1026 (15)
7. Cleary 1025 (13)
8. Leota 965 (15)
9. Kikau 961 (14)
10. Mansour 941 (14)
11. Martin 880 (13)
12. Naden 765 (11)
13. Tetevano 750 (12)
14. To'o 545 (9)
15. Edwards 535 (7)
16. May 507 (8)
17. Aekins 460 (8)
18. Leniu 457 (7)
19. Burns 428 (9)
20. Whare 329 (7)
21. Burton 180 (3)
22. Staines 169 (2)
23. Capewell 141 (3)
24. Kenny 140 (3)
25. Laurie 104 (2)
26. MWZ 61 (1)
27. Hetherington 51 (1)

Rerminder: Round 16 closes kick off time Thursday.

MugaB

Coach
Round 16 vs Tigers

Edwards 10
Mansour 6
Crichton 7
Naden 7
To'o 7
Luai 9
Cleary 8
Tamou 7
Kenny 8
Fisher-Harris 8
May 8
Martin 8
Yeo 8
Leota 7
Leniu 6
Burns 5
Tetevano 7

Edwards game of the season, as a fullback you normally are targeted, but that was ridiculous, and he aimed up, he must have nightmares about wests

WestyLife

First Grade
Round 16 vs Tigers

Edwards 9
Mansour 6
Crichton 7
Naden 9
To'o 7
Luai 10
Cleary 8
Tamou 6
Kenny 7
Fisher-Harris 7
May 8
Martin 8
Yeo 7
Leota 6
Leniu 6
Burns 6
Tetevano 6

I normally struggle to rate Luai accurately as he's playing second fiddle to Cleary but he really made his presence felt the last week or two. May was so much better in the middle. Edwards positional play was also exceptional for 99% of the game.

Tronald Crump

Juniors
Edwards 7.5
Mansour 7
Crichton 7
Naden 7
To'o 7
Luai 8
Cleary 7
Tamou 7
Kenny 7.5
Fisher-Harris 7.5
May 7.5
Martin 7
Yeo 7
Leota 7
Leniu 6
Burns 6
Tetevano 7

Pomoz

Bench
Edwards 8
Mansour 7
Crichton 7
Naden 7
To'o 7
Luai 8
Cleary 7
Tamou 7
Kenny 7
Fisher-Harris 8
May 8
Martin 7
Yeo 7
Leota 7
Leniu 7
Burns 6
Tetevano 7

When the Tigers scored the first try, I thought "here, we go, the loss we had to have". When Yeo went off injured I thought "here we go, they will be running through the middle now". But something strange has happened at the foot of the mountains, the Panther's have started to resemble the Storm and Roosters. They don't give in and they will tackle you to death. A couple of points, lest I get a bollocking from kilkenny and Westylife:
  • On Sunday morning the Tiger's would have woken up breathing heavily and sweating after a recurring nightmare in which they were engulfed in an endless black wave of arms and legs. The Panther's play with such an intensity it leave teams on their haunches, panting for breath, hands on hips trying to rouse tired limbs. Where has the extraordinary intensity come from? I'm buggered if I know, but long may it continue;
  • The Panther's had 15 more sets than the Tigers and run for a massive 741m more. I expected to see the engine room of the Panthers with massive run metres and was shocked to see that JFH (who else) was highest with 134m, and Leota was next with 106m and the rest were all under 100m. It would seem that the Panther's defence had pinned the Tigers in their own half and massive metres from the grunts wasn't required. In fact, the Tigers only had six tackles in the Panther's 20m zone and spent 61% of the time in their own half;
  • It seems that the Tigers game is following a season trend where the Panthers dominate field position. After 15 rounds, the stats show the opposition spend less time in the Panther's 20m zone than any other team. The opposition spend the second least time in the Panther's half (after South's). In attack the Panther's spend more time in the opposition 20m zone and the opposition's half, than any other team (the Storm are second). That domination is why against the Tigers, the Panther's spent less time rucking the ball up through the forwards and more time attacking through the backs. Too and Edwards made over 200m, Mansour 165m the rest of the backs and the halves made over 100m (except for Naden with 86m). The backs and halves had a field day. To give credit to the Tigers, they tried hard and it was only their resilience that stopped a cricket score;
  • For the May doubters, the Tiger's game was a poke in eye. With two try assists, two line break assists, a line break and 37 tackles with 1 miss, he demonstrated why he is so valued by the coach. A great effort.

WestyLife

First Grade
Edwards 8
Mansour 7
Crichton 7
Naden 7
To'o 7
Luai 8
Cleary 7
Tamou 7
Kenny 7
Fisher-Harris 8
May 8
Martin 7
Yeo 7
Leota 7
Leniu 7
Burns 6
Tetevano 7

When the Tigers scored the first try, I thought "here, we go, the loss we had to have". When Yeo went off injured I thought "here we go, they will be running through the middle now". But something strange has happened at the foot of the mountains, the Panther's have started to resemble the Storm and Roosters. They don't give in and they will tackle you to death. A couple of points, lest I get a bollocking from kilkenny and Westylife:
  • On Sunday morning the Tiger's would have woken up breathing heavily and sweating after a recurring nightmare in which they were engulfed in an endless black wave of arms and legs. The Panther's play with such an intensity it leave teams on their haunches, panting for breath, hands on hips trying to rouse tired limbs. Where has the extraordinary intensity come from? I'm buggered if I know, but long may it continue;
  • The Panther's had 15 more sets than the Tigers and run for a massive 741m more. I expected to see the engine room of the Panthers with massive run metres and was shocked to see that JFH (who else) was highest with 134m, and Leota was next with 106m and the rest were all under 100m. It would seem that the Panther's defence had pinned the Tigers in their own half and massive metres from the grunts wasn't required. In fact, the Tigers only had six tackles in the Panther's 20m zone and spent 61% of the time in their own half;
  • It seems that the Tigers game is following a season trend where the Panthers dominate field position. After 15 rounds, the stats show the opposition spend less time in the Panther's 20m zone than any other team. The opposition spend the second least time in the Panther's half (after South's). In attack the Panther's spend more time in the opposition 20m zone and the opposition's half, than any other team (the Storm are second). That domination is why against the Tigers, the Panther's spent less time rucking the ball up through the forwards and more time attacking through the backs. Too and Edwards made over 200m, Mansour 165m the rest of the backs and the halves made over 100m (except for Naden with 86m). The backs and halves had a field day. To give credit to the Tigers, they tried hard and it was only their resilience that stopped a cricket score;
  • For the May doubters, the Tiger's game was a poke in eye. With two try assists, two line break assists, a line break and 37 tackles with 1 miss, he demonstrated why he is so valued by the coach. A great effort.

You're a victim of your own success :joy:

Those stats are a credit to the new fitness and defence the Panthers have. Interesting that you compare us to the Rooster/Storm and it's pretty accurate. They just went with it and increased intensity in the second half exactly as the Roosters/Storm/Raiders do.

Kilkenny

Coach
Edwards 8
Mansour 7
Crichton 7
Naden 7
To'o 7
Luai 8
Cleary 7
Tamou 7
Kenny 7
Fisher-Harris 8
May 8
Martin 7
Yeo 7
Leota 7
Leniu 7
Burns 6
Tetevano 7

That’s much better. Keep up the good work.

Kilkenny

Coach
Edwards 8.
To’o 8.
Naden 7.
Crichton 7.
Mansour 7.
Luai 8.
Cleary 8.
Tamou 7.
Kenny 8.
JFH 7.5
May 7.5
Yeo 6.
Martin 8.

Leota 7.
Tetevano 7.
Burns 6.5.
Lenui 6.5.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Edwards 8
Mansour 7
Crichton 7
Naden 7
To'o 7
Luai 8
Cleary 7
Tamou 7
Kenny 7
Fisher-Harris 8
May 8
Martin 7
Yeo 7
Leota 7
Leniu 7
Burns 6
Tetevano 7

Ahhhh that feels better... Like the first smoke in the morning

The_Frog

First Grade
Round 17 vs Broncos

Edwards 9
Mansour 6
Crichton 6
Naden 6
To'o 6.5
Luai 8
Cleary 7.5
Tamou 7