What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 16 vs Warriors @ Scully Park

Who will win? Round 16: Warriors v Knights

• Warriors 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Newcastle Knights 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Loose Cannon

Bench
O’Brien needs to be honest during this session. Tell them if they are useless. He has to name a side 24 hours later. Will be a long meeting, if he is serious.

Alex28

Coach
I didn’t see the game, so I haven’t commented so far...

However I would suggest now the calls for new leadership on the field are pretty valid. They have excuses to play as badly as they did on Saturday, however so do other clubs and they can get the job done. You aren’t seeing the Roosters and the Storm putting in as insipid performance as we did on Saturday.

Plus now it’s 2 years in a row with finals in sight and us taking our hands off the wheel.

So, I’m all for a new captain.

But the problem is, we don’t have anyone who can actually lead as captain. Klem is probably next in line, but isn’t on the field for 80 minutes. Ponga isn’t ready, 2-5 aren’t ready, whoever is at 6 isn’t ready, neither is Kurt Mann.

So - yes there is a problem. But there really isn’t a solution either unfortunately.

Alex28

Coach
Possibly for this year.

What about next year? Is he likely to be re-signed?

We have a leadership vacuum which is going to hold us back. I can’t see anyone at the club making the tough call this late in the season to drop Pearce as captain right now any way.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
What about Barnett? He plays close to 80 mins most weeks right? He’s been at the club about 5 years now and clearly the coach and the other players love having him around. One of our best players too.

Alex28

Coach
What about Barnett? He plays close to 80 mins most weeks right? He’s been at the club about 5 years now and clearly the coach and the other players love having him around. One of our best players too.
Being a hard worker and a good bloke does not make a leader. Is he the tactician we need?

Knight Vision

First Grade
So, I’m all for a new captain.

But the problem is, we don’t have anyone who can actually lead as captain.
you very well may have hit on our problem right here.

In good mentally strong teams there are a multitude of candidates that could easily be Captain.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Being a hard worker and a good bloke does not make a leader. Is he the tactician we need?
A leader doesnt have to be the tactician . Chief wasnt a tactician .

The onfield playmaker is the tactician "game manager" the Captain sets the tone, the culture within leadership.

Watched a brief clip of an old Roosters v Tigers match the other day.....in the dying seconds Pearce is running around aimlessly in the line, the lock forward Braith Anasta steps back and plots the field goal for the win. ......

Pearce hasnt the "calmness" or state of mind required of a leader

Old dog

Juniors
No matter who is leader I tend to think the 7 has enough on his plate, usually playmaker, if he is line finder at penalties you don’t want him trying to talk to team and taking line kicks or even talking to ref disputing ruling or whatever. While all that’s going on you want your captain deciding things, geeing team up etc.
Don’t want Barnett as capt as might change his rugged game, Guerra is ideal this year and possibly next, Klem might work into it with Brailey a possibility but let’s get a few more games in him first.

Spot On

Coach
Tactician!!! f**king lol.

Mitchell Pearce is our captain. He can't find the in-goals on a footy field.

C'mon.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Tactician!!! f**king lol.

Mitchell Pearce is our captain. He can't find the in-goals on a footy field.

C'mon.
its been said before - if he was the "tactician " or "leader" to win premierships he'd still be at the Roosters.

Our challenge is where do we find a playmaker to lead our talented roster to the promised land and how do we fit him into the cap.

Spot On

Coach
its been said before - if he was the "tactician " or "leader" to win premierships he'd still be at the Roosters.

Our challenge is where do we find a playmaker to lead our talented roster to the promised land and how do we fit him into the cap.

Recruitment and retention should be all over that.

If they aren't, and the club wants to extend Pearce, we will still be talking about the same issue in 3 yrs time.

If we are truly desperate, Foran is signed and we hold our breath every game he plays. The bloke is a quality footballer but is also a massive risk due to the obvious injury problems and age.

Knight Vision

First Grade
If they aren't, and the club wants to extend Pearce, we will still be talking about the same issue in 3 yrs time.
I agree totally.

With the squad we've assembled we shouldnt be wasting any time.

If the Knights extend Pearce and yet keep 3 utilities on the roster ( Mann, Hoy and Watson ) they will get what they deserve - mediocrity.

Some tough decisions ahead.