What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

gordsy

Juniors
Okay that makes sense. Nathan Brown (coach, not the player that fakes injury) was saying the other week that there's no such thing as a bargain buy anymore. Brown signed Jesse Ramien (overrated anyway) and he played 2 games for the Knights before his father was in at the club saying they were ripping him off and demanding a release for a promised upgrade back at the Sharks. But even if he did go to another club for less money what's to stop them from upgrading it eventually and making up the shortfall anyway?

All you can do is make sure that the player doesn't make anymore money on paper. Ie if they have two years to go with clux at 500k then the salary cap hit club y has to take is the same. Now if they can make it up with third party deals it's impossible to police unless the nrl gets their hands on a players tax return which would make it harder. Good luck getting the players to agree to that though,

Wizardman

First Grade
Not when it's paying overs for a winger to gamble on him at fullback, no.
Spot on....JAC has plenty of speed but there are a lot of other attributes that go into being a fullback. In saying that, he'd prob be better than the f**king turtle we have there at the moment. A lot of money to gamble on him to find out though. I'd rather go two cheaper options as well.

He will catch a cold on the Tigers wing, we play with zero flair. At least he can jump for a Brooks bomb 10 times a game.
Axl, jump for a Brooks bomb ! that would require accuracy, timing, ability to stand deeper (rather than getting smashed), demanding the ball (a voice would be required), one thing Brooks hasn't got, can't do, doesn't do etc.

Tigerm

First Grade
Hopefully they offer Benji the halves coaching role
I don’t blame him for our season, but at 35 it’s time to go.

WA Tiger

Bench
Hopefully they offer Benji the halves coaching role
I don’t blame him for our season, but at 35 it’s time to go.
He’s looking for another club...I don’t think he will coach..too stressful for him..but the big news...
...“It comes as several of the club’s players raised trust and communication issues with coach Michael Maguire during a crisis meeting on Monday, with concerns growing over the coach’s rapport with the playing group.”

SMH

Ok, here we go again with players unrest,I’m not saying Madge is perfect and even he would probably agree he has made some mistakes this season, but does anyone believe the sh*t that is surfacing from the players in the media, would be tolerated by Bellamy at Melbourne ,no way it would be, they would be shown the door quickly, that being one of the reasons Melbourne is always strong,Bellamy is in charge, not the players.
Our roster is not great, and that is not entirely the current coaches fault, truthfully only a handful of the current WT players would be in the starting side at other clubs.
Obviously some players are worried about their future which is understandable, but to cast blame on others, to look for excuses rather accept responsibility for their own poor performances this season reeks to me at how f*#k—g soft some of this current batch of players are, until this issue is addressed, along with some astute player buys coming 9th in the future will be an overachievement for our club.

Tigerm

First Grade
He’s looking for another club...I don’t think he will coach..too stressful for him..but the big news...
...“It comes as several of the club’s players raised trust and communication issues with coach Michael Maguire during a crisis meeting on Monday, with concerns growing over the coach’s rapport with the playing group.”

SMH
I just posted this article in 2020 season thread.
If Benji wants to continue to play, then good luck to him, I'm sure some club will grab him, just hate to see him damage his rep if it all goes pear shape.

Yeah benched tiger, I agree.

I call bull5hit on the media. If anything, I'd say Madge has shown too much loyalty based on some of the players effort, taking into account the fact that the aim was to make the 8, Madge has been loyal. e.g.
Jennings - at start of year, he stuck by Jennings until his injury,
BJ - too much loyalty shown by Madge
Mybe - as above
Marshall - he dropped him and he deserved it, he has stuck by him since his return and Marshall's defense has not warranted selection,
Brooks - he certainly couldn't be walking on egg-shells, he certainly has given him plenty of game time.
Garner - showed him plenty of loyalty,
Packer - as above,

Tigerm

First Grade
Yeah benched tiger, I agree.

I call bull5hit on the media. If anything, I'd say Madge has shown too much loyalty based on some of the players effort, taking into account the fact that the aim was to make the 8, Madge has been loyal. e.g.
Jennings - at start of year, he stuck by Jennings until his injury,
BJ - too much loyalty shown by Madge
Mybe - as above
Marshall - he dropped him and he deserved it, he has stuck by him since his return and Marshall's defense has not warranted selection,
Brooks - he certainly couldn't be walking on egg-shells, he certainly has given him plenty of game time.
Garner - showed him plenty of loyalty,
Packer - as above,
Yep, when do the players start to take ownership of their performances, in stead of blaming the coach.

WA Tiger

Bench
I just posted this article in 2020 season thread.
If Benji wants to continue to play, then good luck to him, I'm sure some club will grab him, just hate to see him damage his rep if it all goes pear shape.
I thought I saw it somewhere .. honestly I can lose a post forever that I only saw 4 minutes ago ..drives me nutty
So Ill just say.. I don’t think this is about players not taking ownership of their position and complaining about whose fault it is that we are losing..It’s a communication issue they are having with Madge ... that is a pretty general statement..but at the same time it could be really serious ..It could be the recent column that stated the players are shit and Madge didn’t defend them ..It could be and I think would likely be that Madge having entered the realm of a dead man walking since we will end up outside the 8 has gone into meltdown and withdrawn from the team..remember this guy has a low threshold for tolerance..Either way I’m loving it, I can’t wait for more of the same and soon..

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
The players aren't happy. I bet the fans and the coach also aren't happy. It's a professional sport and people expect to win.

We don't have the squad. Madge has given most of the players plenty of opportunities. Maybe some of them should be looking at a different career or being grateful that they are being paid for a lack of performance.

Tigerm

First Grade
The players aren't happy. I bet the fans and the coach also aren't happy. It's a professional sport and people expect to win.

We don't have the squad. Madge has given most of the players plenty of opportunities. Maybe some of them should be looking at a different career or being grateful that they are being paid for a lack of performance.
Yes, it would be interesting if the contracts could be structured to performance based criteria, it won’t of course as many of them would be back working on the councils.
It will be interesting what is going to happen by the start of next season.
If this is happening, then I assume that the club have given Madge an indication that they will extend his contract.

Pezz70

Juniors
The club would be stupid to let go of Madge, him and Hartigan can take us to a premiership, but it will take a at least four seasons, we have to get over the mess that Cleary left first. I think we will see improvements next year, and the 2022 will see a top 8 finish. We’ve played good footy from time to time this year. A decent goal kicker is a must

Perth Tiger

Bench
The club would be stupid to let go of Madge, him and Hartigan can take us to a premiership, but it will take a at least four seasons, we have to get over the mess that Cleary left first. I think we will see improvements next year, and the 2022 will see a top 8 finish. We’ve played good footy from time to time this year. A decent goal kicker is a must

Agreed, Hopper has as much credibility as sloth, Weirdler and the Mole, I would take anything he said with a sackful of salt.

And even if what is reported is remotely accurate, look at what the players are saying. They have missed the finals for the last decade and now they are scared that the coach will drop them if they have a bad game! Most of them should be dropped because they have clearly shown they aren't good enough!

Only way out of this is to back the coach we have. If Parra can back Arthurs through multiple wooden spoons and become a regular finals team then I believe Madge and his team will do the same, but as you said it will take time.

Tiger05

First Grade

It's going to take some time isn't it. I don't think sacking the coach is going to help that rebuild at all. All we need is another guy like Cleary to come in and go fore short term fixes which will screw us over again.