What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Coach 2021 and Beyond

Who do you want to see as Dragons coach?

• Total voters

possm

Coach
Mate I would go for Griffen ,he can coach and doesn’t mind bringing young guys through if good enough. And always made time at Penrith to watch the lower grades, he also had Penrith in 4 thspotwhenhe was shoved out the door because of Cleary
I worry a little about the fact he coached both Norman and Hunt at the Broncos. I just hope he is as tough on these two as he will be on the other players. I hope he insists on letting Dean Young and the other assistant coaches go.

thebigredv

First Grade
One month ago, 99% here would have taken Ronald McDonald over Mary.

Now after being cellar dwellers, we are peeved that we can't get Bellamy or Robinson ilk.

I don't get it.

Fans standards are very high. We probably all do our jobs to the best of our ability and expect the decision makers of a professional sporting club to do the same.

While it is pie in the sky to think we could land them, that's how we need to be thinking as we move forward - nothing but the best.

Crush

Coach
I worry a little about the fact he coached both Norman and Hunt at the Broncos. I just hope he is as tough on these two as he will be on the other players. I hope he insists on letting Dean Young and the other assistant coaches go.
Not a fan of Dean Young staying at the club Possm?
Ohh hang on, I did already read that somewhere. I think it was in EVERY FRICKEN THREAD ON THE FORUM X 10000 TIMES!

This Just In...

Juniors
One month ago, 99% here would have taken Ronald McDonald over Mary.

Now after being cellar dwellers, we are peeved that we can't get Bellamy or Robinson ilk.

I don't get it.

Yes but one month ago, 99% of us weren't even convinced we'd be rid of him this year, even though every man and his dog knew it should happen.

Now it's done, no one wants to make the same mistake again and hire someone not up to the task.

The Bennett's, Wane's and Griffin's of this world should be our targets.

The others shouldn't get beyond a first interview...

possm

Coach
Not a fan of Dean Young staying at the club Possm?
Ohh hang on, I did already read that somewhere. I think it was in EVERY FRICKEN THREAD ON THE FORUM X 10000 TIMES!
So you got it Crush! That in itself tells me that it was a good move.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Ok, deep breathe.

1. We don't know if Wane has even applied. That extension to the England job may have heen enough to keep him in the old dart. If he has (applied) then he should be the #1 target without question. So much upside with no 'dirty laundry' of being sacked etc

2. Griffin, if Wane hasn't applied, is the only other candidate capable of rebuilding our club to any extent.

3. The other 'candidates' mentioned appear to he just rehash of various journos thoughts.

4. If Young is even 'on the table' as a serious contender for the job, then it would reek of the shite stink our club has become.

Again I come back to why would the club leak such info to bloodthirsty journos, knowing full well what a shitstorm it would create. For example the vacant Cowboys job had almost become a non-event until last weekend when suddenly Paytons name was revealed. There also seems to be a certain push from journos to keep the status quo at the Dragons knowing that the appointment of 'good bloke' Young would continue our quest for mediocracy.

Lets face it, it has become our mantra under McGregor and it may just continue under Young or some of the others mentioned.

If they aren't serious as to the 4 strategic points required for the job, why state them in the first place?

Under the 4 strategic points only Wane and Griffen fit, the others are just BS and cannon fodder for journos in the future. Of course, there is still the Young for a year then appoint Flanno, which scarilyvhas become the silent option. I wonder why!

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Thx for that.

And the main criteria is mentioned in the second last paragraph, which DISMISSES Young IMHO.

Trust our management to state specific criteria for the position and then have a shortlist, the majority of which comprises candidates that don't come close to said criteria.

I'm choosing to read between the lines of the mentioned short listers that Griffin is the last man standing, if we appoint Young, Furner or Henry I might go for a run on the highway.

Gareth67

First Grade
Me as well- I'd heard rumours of him losing the dressing room at Penrith but I thought these rumours may have been exaggerated to fit the Gould narrative of a falling out between the two and why he had to sack Griffin. When he talks, he does sound a bit robotic but I've been trying to be fair and keep an open mind. Shaun Wane still available?

Regardless if they are true or not , it doesn’t say much for Gus ‘ The Human Football ‘ Gould’s opinion of a good coach . After all it was he who went after him . :rugby_football:

Dragsters

First Grade

I'm glad Webster wrote this article as it sheds some light on what really happened with Griffin at the Panthers and the Broncos before that.

Griffin may appear to fit the criteria laid out by the CEO but it seems it may have been in spite of his shortcomings.

The quotes from Ben Hannant and Sowie are telling.

A creative game plan is something we have lacked for near on a decade.

A coach with rugby league-smarts is what we need and when you couple that with said criteria then Griffin, Henry and certainly Furner and Young fail to tick the boxes.

Wane does...