What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tigers Movements

Shredder

Juniors
Madge was quite open about the idea that we have a spot open for a prop in our top 30.

Maybe one of the junior guys?

Maybe some last man standing cheapie?

Mario chalmers

Juniors
https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2019/07/04/canterbury-cup-nsw-team-of-the-week--rd-15/

This Team of the Week is posted every week and should be part of our recruiting strategy. Marquee players are only going to take overs to join a club with a losing culture like WT. Surely players that are consistently dominating reserve grade like Timm and Kerr are worth recruiting? Equally they will jump at the chance to play NRL. There doesn't seem to be any logic in our approach to roster management.

Honestly, it shouldn't be that difficult to sign players with promise. Maika Sivo led try scoring chart in reggies two years running and is now dominating at NRL level.

Tigerm

First Grade
While I agree, we have been down that path for many years with our best juniors, but with very little success.
I think if we have the money, then buy the players we need, start winning and they will want to come to us.
I don't think we are that far away.

Front-Rower

First Grade
I think if we have the money, then buy the players we need, start winning and they will want to come to us.

We need to make finals consistently though, not just win a comp. We won a comp and it didn’t change a thing because the better players knew that we weren’t consistent enough.

Perth Tiger

Bench
Yeah I hope both he and the Titans get success out of this, they both deserve it.

But more importantly that means we have a spare top 30 spot. Any word on how we are going to fill it?

Perth Tiger

Bench
There’s some rumour floating around that the tigers are chasing Foran I will quit following if they purchase him, his injury status is about as good as poor old Josh Reynolds. Fair dinkum.
All depends on salary. If he came on what is essentially Benji's salary when he returned to the club he would be worth it, if it was for Reynolds money then not so much

stryker

First Grade
There’s some rumour floating around that the tigers are chasing Foran I will quit following if they purchase him, his injury status is about as good as poor old Josh Reynolds. Fair dinkum.
That would be a huge mistake.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Tigers confirm Marshall won't be at club in 2021 as Benji plans to play on
By Michael Chammas
August 31, 2020 — 7.47pm

Benji Marshall has pledged to fight for his career at another NRL club after the Wests Tigers informed his management they would not have a spot for him in 2021.

It comes as several of the club’s players raised trust and communication issues with coach Michael Maguire during a crisis meeting on Monday, with concerns growing over the coach’s rapport with the playing group.

Marshall’s manager began calling rival NRL clubs on Monday night, offering the five-eighth’s services for next year following a two-hour meeting with Tigers officials during the afternoon.

Marshall confronted Maguire at the club’s Concord headquarters yesterday morning in a 90-minute showdown over his future. The 35-year-old, who wants to play again next season, was disappointed to learn he wasn’t part of the club’s 2021 plans after reading a Herald article on Monday morning.

Maguire had agreed to reconsider, but by the afternoon the club’s position was made clear in a meeting between Marshall’s manager Matt Desira, Tigers chief executive Justin Pascoe and head of football Adam Hartigan.

Marshall is scheduled to meet with club powerbrokers on Tuesday to discuss the matter in person. While the Tigers believe Marshall still has plenty to offer, the club’s salary cap predicament has left them with next to no choice but to bring down the curtain on his second coming at the joint venture.

The Tigers have close to $1.6 million tied up in halves Josh Reynolds (off contract at the end of 2021) and Luke Brooks (2023), while they also have Adam Doueihi, Moses Mbye, Billy Walters and young gun Jock Madden, who can all play in the halves, on their books. They have been trying to offload Reynolds for two seasons without success.

The Tigers, who are chasing Josh Addo-Carr and Penrith rookie Charlie Staines, believe Marshall’s $300,000 salary is better spent bolstering their back line or forward pack. The Tigers still have $1m to spend in their salary cap next season with five roster spots to fill.

Marshall’s career is now at a crossroads, with the veteran playmaker intent on continuing beyond his 18th season in the NRL. Manly, Newcastle and Canterbury appear the most logical options.

Marshall may yet have a change of heart once the emotion subsides. He is expected to be given a farewell tour over the final rounds before the last match of the regular season against Parramatta.

Marshall started the year well but was controversially dropped by Maguire after round four despite sitting in second position on the Dally M Medal leaderboard. He returned in round nine but the Tigers have struggled since then.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ti...s-benji-plans-to-play-on-20200831-p55r38.html

Tiger05

First Grade
Good article. Marshall is a little bit unlucky because he has been as good as any of our halves. He hasn't been good though.

I agree with the Tigers approach though if that article is on the money.

axl rose

Bench
I concur. Weren't there some allegations against Foran involving 'betting'? whatever happened to that? Dessies dud will end up back at Manly anyway.

Tigerm

First Grade
I concur. Weren't there some allegations against Foran involving 'betting'? whatever happened to that? Dessies dud will end up back at Manly anyway.
I would of thought if we are getting rid of Benji, then it wouldn’t be for Foran. He is leaving the Dogs supposedly be cause they wouldn’t give him extended contract, plus we have a shit load of options as the article says.
Anyway hopefully not true.

murraymob

Coach
S
Tigers confirm Marshall won't be at club in 2021 as Benji plans to play on
By Michael Chammas
August 31, 2020 — 7.47pm

Benji Marshall has pledged to fight for his career at another NRL club after the Wests Tigers informed his management they would not have a spot for him in 2021.

It comes as several of the club’s players raised trust and communication issues with coach Michael Maguire during a crisis meeting on Monday, with concerns growing over the coach’s rapport with the playing group.

Marshall’s manager began calling rival NRL clubs on Monday night, offering the five-eighth’s services for next year following a two-hour meeting with Tigers officials during the afternoon.

Marshall confronted Maguire at the club’s Concord headquarters yesterday morning in a 90-minute showdown over his future. The 35-year-old, who wants to play again next season, was disappointed to learn he wasn’t part of the club’s 2021 plans after reading a Herald article on Monday morning.

Maguire had agreed to reconsider, but by the afternoon the club’s position was made clear in a meeting between Marshall’s manager Matt Desira, Tigers chief executive Justin Pascoe and head of football Adam Hartigan.

Marshall is scheduled to meet with club powerbrokers on Tuesday to discuss the matter in person. While the Tigers believe Marshall still has plenty to offer, the club’s salary cap predicament has left them with next to no choice but to bring down the curtain on his second coming at the joint venture.

The Tigers have close to $1.6 million tied up in halves Josh Reynolds (off contract at the end of 2021) and Luke Brooks (2023), while they also have Adam Doueihi, Moses Mbye, Billy Walters and young gun Jock Madden, who can all play in the halves, on their books. They have been trying to offload Reynolds for two seasons without success.

The Tigers, who are chasing Josh Addo-Carr and Penrith rookie Charlie Staines, believe Marshall’s $300,000 salary is better spent bolstering their back line or forward pack. The Tigers still have $1m to spend in their salary cap next season with five roster spots to fill.

Marshall’s career is now at a crossroads, with the veteran playmaker intent on continuing beyond his 18th season in the NRL. Manly, Newcastle and Canterbury appear the most logical options.

Marshall may yet have a change of heart once the emotion subsides. He is expected to be given a farewell tour over the final rounds before the last match of the regular season against Parramatta.

Marshall started the year well but was controversially dropped by Maguire after round four despite sitting in second position on the Dally M Medal leaderboard. He returned in round nine but the Tigers have struggled since then.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ti...s-benji-plans-to-play-on-20200831-p55r38.html
Staines wants 400k good luck signing him