What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Laurie Daley said that the NRL squad would be less say 26-28 in 2021which complicates matters. I believe that Aitken, De Belin(29), Frizell, Lovodua, Saab and Sailor will not be here next year..
Players contracted for 2021
Including Ramsey and Sullivan 21
Less Saab 1
Sub-Total 20
Resignings
Brittain, Ellis, Feagai, Feagai, Host,
H.Lomax, ,Sauni-Esau 7
Sub-Total 27
Signings Three-Quarter or Prop 1
NRLSquad Limit 28
Perhaps the signing will be Johnstone or Welch. I have assumed that the NRLSquad is reduced to 28 from 30. If we need to offload players I would offload In priority order Merrin(30), Korbin Sims(28) or Tariq Sims(30)..

Mjab

Juniors
Laurie Daley said that the NRL squad would be less say 26-28 in 2021which complicates matters. I believe that Aitken, De Belin(29), Frizell, Lovodua, Saab and Sailor will not be here next year..
Players contracted for 2021
Including Ramsey and Sullivan 21
Less Saab 1
Sub-Total 20
Resignings
Brittain, Ellis, Feagai, Feagai, Host,
H.Lomax, ,Sauni-Esau 7
Sub-Total 27
Signings Three-Quarter or Prop 1
NRLSquad Limit 28
Perhaps the signing will be Johnstone or Welch. I have assumed that the NRLSquad is reduced to 28 from 30. If we need to offload players I would offload In priority order Merrin(30), Korbin Sims(28) or Tariq Sims(30)..
I think Tariq can come back with a better coach so I would like to keep him

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Further to my last email Sullivan and Ramsay are in the Top Squad in 2021 while the two Feagais are in the Development Squad until 2021 which is the last year of their contracts. Sauni-Esau is in the Development Squad until
2021 and contracted until 2022 the year in which he joins the Top Squad.
Hayden Lomax is in the Development Squad until 2021 and contracted until 2021. As a result, we have 4 additional places available in the Top Squad meaning that vacancies rise from from 1 to 5. I would assume that Gale will go into the Top Sqaud in 2021. As a result,
Vacancy 1-Gale
Vacancy 2-Welch?
Vacancy 3-Johnstone?
Vacancy 4-Sailor resigning
Vacancy 5-?
Development Squad 2021
Hayden Lomax
Matthew Fegai
Max Fegai
Sauni-Esau
Schiller?
Wishart?
What do the other gurus think?

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Host has been in good form for the last two games. All he needed was a bit of game time. He rarely makes mistakes and has been held back by injury, middle istead of edge selectionand a stupid bald eagle ex-coach. The Young successor coach seems to have the balls to motivate the players and address the shortcomings. Mc Gregor served 5 years too many.

True_Believer

Juniors
I think Host is like most of the other players in the team. We've suffered miserably from a poor game plan and the chopping and changing of players across so many positions.

Tariq is a prime example. When Gaz was playing for us, he and Tariq formed a great combination on the left - that was when he made the Origin team. You'll note that since Widdop's departure, Tariqs form seems to have dropped off. He's not formed that same combination with Hunt/Norman/Clune and not getting the same ball or direction that he had previously.

Host and Clune seem to have formed a good combination over the last couple of weeks - probably due to experience in CC.

IMO Host is prone to the occasional brain snap. But definitely worth keeping to see how he progresses. There's some good competition for those spots so it'll be interesting to see where he ends up.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
Best edge runner we have at the club, but like Lomax and others has been stuffed around by the club wrecker.
Started last year in good form 5 games on the edge was scoring points in the 3 2 1 Serbs.
Then jacked around, how good could he have been if left there.

Well said, George. Host is one of those young players stuffed around by Mary. He arrived in the NRL with an impressive reputation from U/20s and NSW Cup and I thought was progressing nicely until Mary appeared to see something better in Sele who got more game time before being let go. Then as Luciano was developing he got more game time before he was pushed out too. Whenever I saw Jacob play in CC he was always the standout in the forwards - it makes you wonder what that comp is for when strong form there meant nothing in terms of team selections under Mary- Host, Timm, Clune,Herbert, Garrick etc. The last two games Host has certainly looked the goods. In the last five games under Young I imagine he will get the opportunity to warrant a contract extension. I had a brief conversation with his grandfather at a CC game last year - he stated Jacob just loves the Dragons. I would have thought that isjust the sort of player you want at the club.

In regard to Mary I do try to be balanced - he was poor in so many ways it is very easy to continually put the boot in. Finding positives is hard but I would say that Blake Lawrie is one player who has benefited from the confidence Mary showed in him, unlike so many promising juniors. I know many posters have been uncomplimentary but I think Lawrie's game is developing well. Of course Mary's favourite junior was Aitken. I can't help thinking how ironic it is that Aitken is now leaving after having his best season having been belatedly moved to the left. But don't worry, my TV did cop some abuse when he missed that tackle on Staggs.

Lethal25

Juniors
I do know Host has been talking with Souths for next year. With Mary now gone that may change things

possm

Coach
No-one as reserve grade still need to fill a squad. Thats where K.Sims and Merrin should play if we somehow land Welsh.

Ellis has shown he can hit the line and look to offload. A good coach would spot that and use that skill to advantage. He would make a very good bench forward.
Jacob Host is not a prop so, why confuse things by naming props for reserve grade? Talk about back-row forwards, where does Host fit in this pecking order?
T Sims
McInnes
Ford
Tyrell
Frizell not being with us in 2021 but should be replaced like for like.

I have a different take on things and would keep Host as a backup purely on the basis that he is a good backup and he is a local junior. However, my idea would be to buy/promote the best possible 17 and fill the remaining spots in our top 30, with our best juniors. Use the Canterbury Cup as a training and development ground for juniors or out of form first-graders who are under contract.

By doing this, we would have more dollars to spend on marquee or good first-graders and a training/development system that positively prepares our juniors in an open grade format.

A pre-season for reserve-grade would comprise of things that enhance the player to progress to first-grade. Things such as body-shape, fitness, skills-enhancement, speed, passing game, taking a high ball, kicking game, and a Dragons culture and ethics training program.

Further to my last email Sullivan and Ramsay are in the Top Squad in 2021 while the two Feagais are in the Development Squad until 2021 which is the last year of their contracts. Sauni-Esau is in the Development Squad until
2021 and contracted until 2022 the year in which he joins the Top Squad.
Hayden Lomax is in the Development Squad until 2021 and contracted until 2021. As a result, we have 4 additional places available in the Top Squad meaning that vacancies rise from from 1 to 5. I would assume that Gale will go into the Top Sqaud in 2021. As a result,
Vacancy 1-Gale
Vacancy 2-Welch?
Vacancy 3-Johnstone?
Vacancy 4-Sailor resigning
Vacancy 5-?
Development Squad 2021
Hayden Lomax
Matthew Fegai
Max Fegai
Sauni-Esau
Schiller?
Wishart?
What do the other gurus think?
I think the NRL is going about this the wrong way. I'd like to see 34 players in the top squad (17 reserve graders and 17 first graders) with the minimum salary being dropped to 52K per year (1k per week).

Then let Clubs make their choice on how much they pay their players under the cap. Feeder Clubs such as Illawarra can foot the bill for reserve players for the Canterbury Cup competition at 1k per match.

So if the salary cap is going to be reduced or at least not increased, then any non-contracted players will have to be signed at a price to meet the cap.

Mjab

Juniors
Who do people honestly think our spine will be next year

Dufty
Hunt / Norman
Clune / Hunt
McInnes

are what we are realistically looking at aren’t we?.....

can we play
Hunt 6 Clune 7 for the last few games this year to see how they go and F off Norman

possm

Coach

Dufty
Hunt / Norman
Clune / Hunt
McInnes

can we play
Hunt 6 Clune 7 for the last few games this year to see how they go and F off Norman
I rather see Dufty have a go at 6. He can be our Soward.

Dragon David

First Grade

Dufty
Hunt / Norman
Clune / Hunt
McInnes

can we play
I would prefer Sailor and Clune for the next few weeks. Clune to get more ball. Give other "reserves" a go as well in the backs and forwards. Use the remaining games as trials.

Banjo2014

Juniors
Was watching NRL Tonight with Brett Read of the Australian.

He mentioned a few things about the Saints:-

Down to 3 - Young, Griffin and Furner for Coach.

Then

He said that we have a hit list for a middle forward and mentioned Marty Tapau.

I am overseas under lockdown (Philippines) and cannot get a hold of his article in the Australian today - does anyone know who else is on the Dragons 2021 hitlist?

Thanks

boardlumps62

Juniors
Seriously must be a coach out there somewhere that can help us. Wayne Bennett is going to be looking for a gig somewhere bet he is in the picture for sure.

Wittenberg

Juniors
Was watching NRL Tonight with Brett Read of the Australian.

He mentioned a few things about the Saints:-

Down to 3 - Young, Griffin and Furner for Coach.

Then

He said that we have a hit list for a middle forward and mentioned Marty Tapau.

I am overseas under lockdown (Philippines) and cannot get a hold of his article in the Australian today - does anyone know who else is on the Dragons 2021 hitlist?

Thanks
Furner....a proven failure
Young.....a graduate from the last 6 years of Mary’s mentorship
Griffin......rumours about him are a concern and Norman recommends him
Surely there must be others being considered??????
Surely ?
God I hope so.