What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

BIG RIG

Juniors
Interesting Brent Read article also out says a few interesting points

- De Belin is set to re-sign with St George if he gets off charges

- Dragons are looking at a prop as a key recruit some names thrown up include Tamou and Hetherington but also sniffing around Martin Taupau and Jordan McLean

- Coach next yr will either be Griffin or Furner

- As I stated before next coach will be given full list of 30 + players to pick from as recruits- Prop is priority with a centre and edge backrower also key along with depth

- Dragons are looking at a prop as a key recruit some names thrown up include Tamou and Hetherington but also sniffing around Martin Taupau and Jordan McLean

- As I stated before next coach will be given full list of 30 + players to pick from as recruits- Prop is priority with a centre and edge backrower also key along with depth

Furner - F&@K NO.

SAP58

Juniors

Griffin it is, let’s move on. PLEASE !

Old Timer

Coach

If it's Furner he will just be a patsy for Young to take the reins in mid 2022.

Our board will dispense with "outsiders" far quicker than "its own" regardless of how bad "its own" results are.

blacksafake

First Grade
RUMOUR

Rumour is that the Dragons have made the decision on who will coach for the next three years

No names mentioned but only guarantee is that it will not be Dean Young

Also noted is that the club will hand over a document of 30 + potential recruitment targets from both the NRL and Super League to the incoming coach and the coach will have say on roster changes for 2021
Why three years not two

Wittenberg

Juniors

Furner our coach......a step up on Mary but god save us!

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I
Furner our coach......a step up on Mary but god save us!
don’t know he is, I know Furner though he’s probably one of the toughest bastards I’ve ever met. One of my apprentices who played in under 20s Raiders side that Milford played in rates him highly. But his records don’t cut it for mine.

blacksafake

First Grade
Griffin also sacked from last 2 gigs. Also, scathing article on him in smh. Don't know if it has merit or someone's agenda?
The article was not what I wanted to read.
Surely the club has at least had contact with Gould to get some sort of an idea even though it would be agenda driven? but you read between the lines & put clauses in the contract.

Maddragon99

Juniors
It’s going to be Griffin. His win rate was 53% at Brisbane & 58% at Penrith plus he did a good job bringing the kids through at the Panthers.

He wasn’t sacked at Brisbane he was pushed aside when Bennett wanted back after leaving Newcastle.

it was never fully explained why Gould sacked him at Penrith, 58% win rate is pretty decent. Plus the Panthers were top 4 with only a month before the finals when he was let go.

He’s hardly the first person to have a falling out with Gould. Remember Gould signed Cleary from the Warriors then sacked him. Appointed Griffin. Sacked Griffin. The pinched Cleary back from the Tigers. Something the Tigers fans will never forgive.

if Griffin is a tough nut then good! Something our powderpuff players need. I don’t care if he makes friends as long as he gets results.

Furner has a terrible record & so does Neil Henry. I can only assume they are being mentioned just in case we are unable to come to terms with Griffin.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Griffin also sacked from last 2 gigs. Also, scathing article on him in smh. Don't know if it has merit or someone's agenda?

Someone once said that there are two kinds of coaches- ones that had been sacked and ones that were about to be sacked. Obviously, there are exceptions- such as Bellamy- but by and large, it should not be the only criterion to judge a coach on.

Brutalitops

Juniors
"Twice sacked" is very misleading when it comes to Griffin. Both instances were rather unconventional and there were multiple outside reasons for it. Simply put in both cases he was let go because the club wanted Bennett (this was reportedly the case with the Panthers as well, before the board went over Gus's head and bought Cleary instead.

Win rate and work ethic alone makes him pretty much the best option available right now, aside from perhaps Bennett again.

TruSaint

Referee
It’s going to be Griffin. His win rate was 53% at Brisbane & 58% at Penrith plus he did a good job bringing the kids through at the Panthers.

He wasn’t sacked at Brisbane he was pushed aside when Bennett wanted back after leaving Newcastle.

it was never fully explained why Gould sacked him at Penrith, 58% win rate is pretty decent. Plus the Panthers were top 4 with only a month before the finals when he was let go.

He’s hardly the first person to have a falling out with Gould. Remember Gould signed Cleary from the Warriors then sacked him. Appointed Griffin. Sacked Griffin. The pinched Cleary back from the Tigers. Something the Tigers fans will never forgive.

if Griffin is a tough nut then good! Something our powderpuff players need. I don’t care if he makes friends as long as he gets results.

Furner has a terrible record & so does Neil Henry. I can only assume they are being mentioned just in case we are unable to come to terms with Griffin.

Great post.

Griffin was as u say pushed out when Wayne wanted to go back, and lets not forget the guy that sacked Griffin at Penrith also sacked Cleary ( only to rehire him ).

Maddragon99

Juniors
Great post.

Griffin was as u say pushed out when Wayne wanted to go back, and lets not forget the guy that sacked Griffin at Penrith also sacked Cleary ( only to rehire him ).

In my opinion any appointment other than Griffin will set up back years.

Furner hasn’t coached in Australia since 2013. He signed a 3yr contract with Leeds Rhinos in 2018 but after going 5 wins 11 loses he was sacked after one year.

Henry has already bounced out of 3 NRL coaching roles & has a overall winning record of only 44% He has a reputation of being smart but too soft. Jarod Hayne walked all over him. Not what we need.

Dean Young will be a really good coach one day but he needs a longer apprenticeship. For example Craig Fitzgibbon who everybody rates so highly has been Robinson’s assistant for 7yrs.

it’s a critical time, there are some really great kids coming through Sullivan, Feagai’s Ramsey etc. We need someone who can bring them on plus attract talent from outside. Our recruitment so far for 2021 is Zero. Graham, Frizell Lafai etc gone there’s plenty of room in the cap.

Get Griffin in ASAP so he can start building the roster.

redv13

Bench
Great post.

Haven’t people realised yet that Gould is a snake and can’t be trusted at all?? We just experienced his shit, lies and agendas. Take what he says with a grain of salt. It always has and always will be about Gus and Gus only

TruSaint

Referee
In my opinion any appointment other than Griffin will set up back years.

Furner hasn’t coached in Australia since 2013. He signed a 3yr contract with Leeds Rhinos in 2018 but after going 5 wins 11 loses he was sacked after one year.

Henry has already bounced out of 3 NRL coaching roles & has a overall winning record of only 44% He has a reputation of being smart but too soft. Jarod Hayne walked all over him. Not what we need.

Dean Young will be a really good coach one day but he needs a longer apprenticeship. For example Craig Fitzgibbon who everybody rates so highly has been Robinson’s assistant for 7yrs.

it’s a critical time, there are some really great kids coming through Sullivan, Feagai’s Ramsey etc. We need someone who can bring them on plus attract talent from outside. Our recruitment so far for 2021 is Zero. Graham, Frizell Lafai etc gone there’s plenty of room in the cap.

Get Griffin in ASAP so he can start building the roster.

You don't have to sell me on this mate, and yes you are correct.

Visit the coaching thread and some will have you believe that I am advocating mediocrity. I am not.

Im being realistic as to what the club can a.) attract and b.) is in dire need of. Discipline, experience, blooding and development of juniors to make us an attractive proposition in 2-3 years. This job isn't an easy fix. Wishing that Fitzy "may" be the next Bellamy is a risk we can't take now.

Young / Fitzy / Ryles and co may well be future coaching greats, but its been a decade of untested coaches that has us in a position where such a gamble isnt worth the risk.