What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Coach 2021 and Beyond

Who do you want to see as Dragons coach?

• Total voters

_Johnsy

Referee
The more I think about this anti Griffin piece by Webster, the more I think it is a lame attempt to railroad Griffin's chances of getting the gig. Why only write this when we are close to making a coaching appointment?

Interesting that Webster is a saints fan, does he too have a mate on the board or even a mate who is a candidate for the coaching position? Would seem like his preference would be to go with Young and keep the status quo.
40486268.jpg

denis preston

First Grade
The more I think about this anti Griffin piece by Webster, the more I think it is a lame attempt to railroad Griffin's chances of getting the gig. Why only write this when we are close to making a coaching appointment?

Interesting that Webster is a saints fan, does he too have a mate on the board or even a mate who is a candidate for the coaching position? Would seem like his preference would be to go with Young and keep the status quo.

He knows ,like we do , of the shit of the past 8 years and i believe he has raised that Young shouldn't be coach.As far as mates on the board his piece about the club being managed like a pub side would suggest to me that he has no mates on the board !

Wittenberg

Juniors
If Webster is attempting a serious assessment of the candidates, why does he not likewise dismiss Young's credentials?

Can't stand so-called journos writing stories to promote someone's agenda. Webster should be in marketing instead.

Straight Shooter
Agree Objective. I suspect an ongoing feud here. Remember the enemy Griffin made when getting his team finals bound at Penrith? Mr Gould’s mates in the media seem to be falling all in line. Look I have some concerns about Griffin but why not put a similar blow torch onto the merits of Young or Furner. I don’t want our club becoming fodder for a media circus because of bad blood formed in Phil Gould’s failed five year plan.

getsmarty

Immortal
Where was Webster the 'Dragons Fan' during the 6 long hoord years of Mary as coach? Where is his story on the factional dealings, corrupt activity and nepotism which is rife within Dragon management? Where is the story on the decision to go with the lower offer of Gordons / WIN buyout of the Illawarra shareholding?

Wane is now my choice for head coach however, if he is not available, then Griffin is my next choice. Whoever is selected, they should be given to have a clean start and pick their own staff. Gone are the current assistants, gone are the current management staff.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...ns-savaged-by-ex-premier-20200611-p551me.html

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...overed-by-gould-s-review-20200602-p54yrs.html

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...truggling-nrl-club/14ni9canzjkc21nnpjzb26ntgi

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sp...on-about-a-year-too-late-20200813-p55lfc.html

possm

Coach
I imagine you already know that the articles you provide a link to are dated June 2020 - August 2020. After 6 years of incompetence, a little late to the dance don't you think?

The 'not enough cash' statements aren't backed by any facts. A recent article - which I don't have a link to but I'm sure someone else on here can provide - noted that the Gordon's and St George each have approximately 800m in wealth and more than enought liquidity to fund what was the 500k to sack Mary and hire a new experienced coach - Wane or Griffin.

The comment about Bennett's price being around 1m a season rings true however, you pay for what you get and the Dragons need a lot to turn around all of the mismanagement that has occurred over a very long time.

The indications are good now as the Club has not signed any new players for 2021, the Board seems to be waiting until the new coach and his staff have a good look at what they need for 2021 and beyond.

getsmarty

Immortal
I imagine you already know that the articles you provide a link to are dated June 2020 - August 2020. After 6 years of incompetence, a little late to the dance don't you think?

The 'not enough cash' statements aren't backed by any facts. A recent article - which I don't have a link to but I'm sure someone else on here can provide - noted that the Gordon's and St George each have approximately 800m in wealth and more than enought liquidity to fund what was the 500k to sack Mary and hire a new experienced coach - Wane or Griffin.

The comment about Bennett's price being around 1m a season rings true however, you pay for what you get and the Dragons need a lot to turn around all of the mismanagement that has occurred over a very long time.

The indications are good now as the Club has not signed any new players for 2021, the Board seems to be waiting until the new coach and his staff have a good look at what they need for 2021 and beyond.

possm...there are other articles....I am currently @ work....do a google search yourself and you will find that Mr Webster has at times called out our club. Have a good day.

ChocOConnor

Juniors
Yes the Gordon’s are worth somewhere is the vicinity of 800 million

And the St George leagues club is a powerful entity with hundreds of millions in assets and I thinking I’m not wrong 60 million in cash in bank and debt free.

possm

Coach
Griffin = back to square one.
I hope we don’t get saddled with this dinosaur.
Who ever we get will have to be a magician to turn around this Dragons outfit. With plans to sign De Belin if he wins his legal case and then move McInnes back to hooker and Hunt to five-eighth, our new coach will have his hands full for sure.

For me, I'd rather we off-load both Norman and Hunt and use Clune and Dufty in the halves to begin with. If Dufty does not do well there then try a Clune / Sullivan pairing.

Surely with a number of good young outside backs coming through, out attention must be drawn to refreshing our forward pack. Those forwards who should be let go are K Sims, Merrin, Lawrie and Ellis. With Frizell not with us in 2021 and if De Belin can be selected in 2021, we will need at least two top grade props and a top grade second row forward.

If Ramsey and later Schiller are brought into first grade through a wing position, I'd say we need a top grade fullback on a two year deal as well.

Plenty of work for a new coach to do.

Mjab

Juniors
Whoever gets us has a lot of work to do regardless

the roster isnt the best and we have a few big $ players we get very little from

Many friends asked in past who Id have and I just used to say any one but Mary I dont care
now mary has gone I think I would add No Young as well

we are left with a string of 2nd tier coaches all with potential issues and significant downsides and I suspect no one will really be perfect or even get us close to a premiership any time soon.

I guess at least its not Mary and I dont want to punch the TV screen as much as before

Wane would at least be free of any horrendous baggage and rumor and may drag some serious ESL talent across but Im just not hearing his name mentioned in media enough and suspect this would be a real shock. He did apply warriors and Cows , BUT ?not us . Says a lot about our club and roster or have we even tried hard to chase him?

all there others have been sacked prob for good reasons Ive been told by people at other clubs , who do know esp Griffin. Furner sacked from an ESL , thats Not good

Henry ?? I have liked him but hasnt done that much for a while

Bennett ? too old now and the games moved on , I suspect JD does most of the actual work there

Anyway better than MARY

just dont sign any of these 2nd tier dudes for a long contract and please have KPIs
Is this actually asking too much, hopefully Webb has some sense here

Coffs dragon

Bench
If our club seems to disregard Shaun Wane as a genuine choice then the cupboard is considerably bare. If it’s down to 3 applicants only being Griffin, Furner & Henry, then I really think Neil Henry has the best credentials as a tactician to improve our team.
From his Wikipedia bio:

He was previously the assistant coach of the North Queensland Cowboysbetween 2002 and 2006, and assistant to Mal Meninga in the QueenslandState of Origin team from 2006–2009.
In his first season as an NRL head coach, Henry incurred a fine of $10,000 for the Raiders by questioning the impartiality of the referee following a round 19 loss to Melbourne Storm in 2007.[6]

Henry was named Dally M Coach of the Year for 2008, ahead of other nominees Craig Bellamy, Ricky Stuart and Des Hasler.[7]

I recall how he was the brains trust & master tactician for Mal Meninga during the QLD golden period. He has the smarts, but unfortunately his club record was not helped by the clubs he coached that were bottom dwellers. He did however improve them during his reign.
Certainly a coach that encourages attacking style of play and not hit up boring crap.

Out of Curiosity who's your Choice?
Fitzgibbon - has the right pedigree.
I know he’s said he won’t break contract but go after him as if we really mean it.
Bennett - any day would welcome him back.
Toovey - great footy brain and totally passionate about what he does.
Something we totally lack.
Come on let’s be serious.
There are plenty of alternatives to coaches like Griffin and McGuire.
“Old school” in today’s game gets trumped by smart coaches.
We need something better.

If our club seems to disregard Shaun Wane as a genuine choice then the cupboard is considerably bare. If it’s down to 3 applicants only being Griffin, Furner & Henry, then I really think Neil Henry has the best credentials as a tactician to improve our team.
From his Wikipedia bio:

He was previously the assistant coach of the North Queensland Cowboysbetween 2002 and 2006, and assistant to Mal Meninga in the QueenslandState of Origin team from 2006–2009.
In his first season as an NRL head coach, Henry incurred a fine of $10,000 for the Raiders by questioning the impartiality of the referee following a round 19 loss to Melbourne Storm in 2007.[6]

Henry was named Dally M Coach of the Year for 2008, ahead of other nominees Craig Bellamy, Ricky Stuart and Des Hasler.[7]

I recall how he was the brains trust & master tactician for Mal Meninga during the QLD golden period. He has the smarts, but unfortunately his club record was not helped by the clubs he coached that were bottom dwellers. He did however improve them during his reign.
Certainly a coach that encourages attacking style of play and not hit up boring crap.
Wane over that lot of dead wood for sure.

possm

Coach
From his Wikipedia bio:

Ok then, Wane as head coach and Henry as assistant coach.