What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 17 Penrith V Brisvegas.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I used to buy these too. I think they still do them now? They were / are called “footy doubles” if I remember correctly? They were printed on raffle ticket books. When I first bought them I think they were $1.

I am pretty sure I heard a guy last season wandering around the ground yelling out “get your doubles here!” and still handing them out.

Run by rotary. Proceeds go to charity.

When at the games I have a running joke from 2003, anyone but Marty lang please.....(as Marty only ever scored about 3 tries in his whole career) I went 1/2 a season in 2003 / 04 where I got dear old Marty every single fortnight.....GRRRRRRR

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I think Charlie is fit this week as well. I’d love to see him back in some how.

it’s a tough one, I really don’t want any injuries, I don’t think anyone deserves to be dropped, but I’d love to see him in the side.

deep down I know we are stronger side if he comes in for Sauce. But that’s so tough on Mansour.

franklin2323

Immortal

it’s a tough one, I really don’t want any injuries, I don’t think anyone deserves to be dropped, but I’d love to see him in the side.

deep down I know we are stronger side if he comes in for Sauce. But that’s so tough on Mansour.

That is opinion. Plenty to still see from Staines to say that

The_Frog

First Grade
deep down I know we are stronger side if he comes in for Sauce.
I disagree with you. Staines seems to me like a bloke who'll increase your winning margin from 20 to 30 or more, but as far as getting on top I'll take Sauce just at the moment. There is also the problem that if he comes in and bags another double it'll add another 50k to his price.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I love Sauce, don’t get me wrong, but he scares the hell out of me under the high ball and he’s a yard or 4 short on pace.

I just feel like Charlie adds pace and a bit more skill to the backline. Charlie finishes a few more of those half Chances.

I do agree that I wouldn’t be making the change now, but I’d be telling Staines it’s his position next year.

murraymob

Coach
When I was a kid this was the only RL betting you could do, it was on a printed card and you had to pick winners with starts in all games. The purpose of the start is to make it an even bet and the purpose of the half point is so that it cannot be a draw. If you won you got 50-1 (actually 49-1) from memory, the true chance of winning being 1 in 64 with 6 games.

At some point the TAB took it over and they gradually introduced more betting options.

They also had first try scorer cards you could buy at the game. You didn't get to pick them though, they were random, all possible combinations were printed. This was a 1 in 169 (13 x 13) chance (actually higher since there was a chance one or both sides might not score a try, then there would be no winner). I won one of these once at Penrith Park, as kids were allowed to buy them, I received $16 for 20 cents.
As a kid growing up my dad would bring the card you talk of back from the local millars pub .You had to get them all right to win .The local bookie was a crook .My dad toweled him up a few times for trying not to pay lol

murraymob

Coach

Staines May struggle to get another run .The club seems pretty pissed with his manager and really the boys are going well without him

franklin2323

Immortal
I love Sauce, don’t get me wrong, but he scares the hell out of me under the high ball and he’s a yard or 4 short on pace.

I just feel like Charlie adds pace and a bit more skill to the backline. Charlie finishes a few more of those half Chances.

I do agree that I wouldn’t be making the change now, but I’d be telling Staines it’s his position next year.

So far all he has shown is speed. More to wing play than speed though. I want to see more before Mansour gets tapped on the shoulder

snickers007

Juniors
I used to buy these too. I think they still do them now? They were / are called “footy doubles” if I remember correctly? They were printed on raffle ticket books. When I first bought them I think they were $1.

I am pretty sure I heard a guy last season wandering around the ground yelling out “get your doubles here!” and still handing them out.

The last Footy Double I bought was Rnd 4 last year against the Tigers.
We didn't score a try until the 78th minute, which made it 8 all - and I had matched the Double.

There was not a hope in hell that I was leaving my seat in the Eastern Stand to go looking for the guys to get my winnings when we were headed to Golden Point.

Golden Point only last 3 minutes, but by the time I made it around to where they set up, they were gone, and I didn't get my prize.

We won the game, so that was prize enough.

Panthers coach Ivan Cleary has named his side to face Brisbane Broncos at Suncorp Stadium on Thursday.

Isaah Yeo has been sidelined after suffering a head knock in the win over Wests Tigers, with James Fisher-Harris moving to lock and Moses Leota promoted to the starting side.

Viliame Kikau returns from suspension, relegating Tyrone May to the bench alongside Kurt Capewell, who is set for his first appearance since suffering a knee injury in Round 5.

Api Koroisau will be given an opportunity to prove his fitness after being named on the extended bench.

The Panthers will wear the 2020 Alternate Jersey.

1. Dylan EDWARDS - sponsored by CC Tyres Penrith
2. Josh MANSOUR - sponsored by MKJ Projects
3. Brent NADEN - sponsored by Potter Automotive
4. Stephen CRICHTON - sponsored by Penrith Toyota
5. Brian TO'O - sponsored by Soneta Plumbing
6. Jarome LUAI - sponsored by Hertz
7. Nathan CLEARY - sponsored by Chemtools
8. James TAMOU (c) - sponsored by Protech Locksmiths
9. Mitch KENNY - sponsored by Cetnaj Wetherill Park
10. Moses LEOTA - sponsored by Chardon & Abbott Home Loans
11. Viliame KIKAU - sponsored by Hix Group
12. Liam MARTIN - sponsored by AMA Event Management
13. James FISHER-HARRIS - sponsored by Casella Express

14. Tyrone MAY - sponsored by Signace
15. Spencer LENIU - sponsored by Wisdom Dental and Denture Clinic
16. Kurt CAPEWELL - sponsored by Fornari's Interior Linings
17. Zane TETEVANO - sponsored by Wright Way Plumbing & Civil
18. Api KOROISAU - sponsored by Stylus Blinds
19. Billy BURNS - sponsored by Southlands Estate Agents
20. Matt BURTON - sponsored by OAK Plus
21. Pat HOLLIS - sponsored by Brightside Music

franklin2323

Immortal
In the NRL sure. But he’s been in our system now for a while, he’s shown is plenty.

6 try’s in 1.5 games is a fair start.

On the flip side. ave 99m gained a game. 75% tackle efficiency. Only 3 kick returns

So still plenty to see before it can be said he should be in the top backline

Being in the system awhile doesn't mean they are always a good NRL player

WestyLife

First Grade
Panthers coach Ivan Cleary has named his side to face Brisbane Broncos at Suncorp Stadium on Thursday.

Isaah Yeo has been sidelined after suffering a head knock in the win over Wests Tigers, with James Fisher-Harris moving to lock and Moses Leota promoted to the starting side.

Viliame Kikau returns from suspension, relegating Tyrone May to the bench alongside Kurt Capewell, who is set for his first appearance since suffering a knee injury in Round 5.

Api Koroisau will be given an opportunity to prove his fitness after being named on the extended bench.

The Panthers will wear the 2020 Alternate Jersey.

1. Dylan EDWARDS - sponsored by CC Tyres Penrith
2. Josh MANSOUR - sponsored by MKJ Projects
3. Brent NADEN - sponsored by Potter Automotive
4. Stephen CRICHTON - sponsored by Penrith Toyota
5. Brian TO'O - sponsored by Soneta Plumbing
6. Jarome LUAI - sponsored by Hertz
7. Nathan CLEARY - sponsored by Chemtools
8. James TAMOU (c) - sponsored by Protech Locksmiths
9. Mitch KENNY - sponsored by Cetnaj Wetherill Park
10. Moses LEOTA - sponsored by Chardon & Abbott Home Loans
11. Viliame KIKAU - sponsored by Hix Group
12. Liam MARTIN - sponsored by AMA Event Management
13. James FISHER-HARRIS - sponsored by Casella Express

14. Tyrone MAY - sponsored by Signace
15. Spencer LENIU - sponsored by Wisdom Dental and Denture Clinic
16. Kurt CAPEWELL - sponsored by Fornari's Interior Linings
17. Zane TETEVANO - sponsored by Wright Way Plumbing & Civil
18. Api KOROISAU - sponsored by Stylus Blinds
19. Billy BURNS - sponsored by Southlands Estate Agents
20. Matt BURTON - sponsored by OAK Plus
21. Pat HOLLIS - sponsored by Brightside Music

Wouldn't be bad to let Api have another week if needed. Kenny is probably the best back up hooker in the comp.

Definitely thought Capewell would go to the bench for Burns and should make us a little better.

Jane Murray

Bench
Wouldn't be bad to let Api have another week if needed. Kenny is probably the best back up hooker in the comp.

Definitely thought Capewell would go to the bench for Burns and should make us a little better.

Next year, hopefully, Mitchell will be in the side. He could learn quite a lot from Api.

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
Staines May struggle to get another run .The club seems pretty pissed with his manager and really the boys are going well without him

I see this the same. I think the club will keep the kids out of the lime light (Staines, Burton). Unless injuries leave us with no choice. No point showing what we have when there are so many clubs looking to rebuild.

franklin2323

Immortal

It is a tough one. The spine needs time together but the rest also is good.

I think Capewell starts for Martin in finals but need match fitness before we can worry about that

WestyLife

First Grade
It is a tough one. The spine needs time together but the rest also is good.

I think Capewell starts for Martin in finals but need match fitness before we can worry about that

Agreed. Api will obviously play from next week through to the GF. Gives 3 weeks than finals.