What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

Mjab

Juniors
Rather than see Jason Saab leave I’d like to see Jordan Pereira moved to the backrow. He runs hard, breaks tackles but lacks the speed of a winger. Saab takes left wing & everyone’s happy.

thoughts?
I don’t mind the idea Jordon and I see your point

let Saab F off though he doesn’t want us and I don’t want him
He looked very average when he got a chance I’d rather give another young one ago instead

Mjab

Juniors
I am not as convinced as some that Clune is the answer for next year

Other Rookie half’s look better

I have only seen a few games from Jamal Fogerty at Titans but he looks a better player And Dearden and I’m sure a few other rookies look better as well

he is a stop gap fill in at best I reckon

I acnt see him being a premiership winner

although chad toewsend did get a ring

any opinions on him next year

I'm Hornby

Juniors

I have only seen a few games from Jamal Fogerty at Titans but he looks a better player And Dearden and I’m sure a few other rookies look better as well

Agreed mate, he should be a stop gap and no more. The fact he had to wait until 25 to get handed a jersey says it all really. It won't be easy to coach out the bad habits in his game as it would be in say a 20 year old halfback.

I think Hunt and Norman don't want to organise the team in attack and Clune has shown he doesn't want this job either. Lets just find a seven who can organise us in to shape when we have the ball and end our sets with a decent kick.

Maddragon99

Juniors

Clune is doing ok, it’s Norman that’s the problem. Clune will be better for a full off-season training with the first grade team. Remember he was picked round 5 without many, if any reps with the first grade team & no Canterbury Cup.

the joker in the pack is Jack de Belin, if he comes back then all bets are off. McInnes goes back to 9 & Hunt back to 7 & Clune misses out entirely.

[QUOTE="Dennis Papaioannou, post: 14314250, member: 47850

Here's one out of left field.
Keiran Foran for a season or two mentoring Clune/Sailor/Sullivan in the halves.
The guy has still got it and makes Canterbury look like a proper footy team whenever he plays.

Still got it? Not sure he ever had it, mate! Have a look at the tries scored on his side of the field in their last two games, he is on one leg and can't contain forwards with mediocre footwork at the line.

Big PASS on this idea.[/QUOTE]
Look at what Foran does with the ball.
Straightens the attack and creates a lot of opportunities, especially close to the line.
He is also a competent game manager which we desperately need.
Compare that to Norman for example.
We had piles of possession against the Titans and plenty of tackles close to the line - we scored 1 try.
I am not talking about a long term solution.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Still got it? Not sure he ever had it, mate! Have a look at the tries scored on his side of the field in their last two games, he is on one leg and can't contain forwards with mediocre footwork at the line.

Big PASS on this idea.
Straightens the attack and creates a lot of opportunities, especially close to the line.
We had piles of possession against the Titans and plenty of tackles close to the line - we scored 1 try.
I am not talking about a long term solution.[/QUOTE]

the only place Foran

Big PASS on this idea.

The only place Foran is going is to the scrap heap. He had some great years at Manly, won a comp. He should either retire or go to the English Super League

dragon thomo

Juniors
There is talk Hunt is being shopped around while we pay half his salary.
It may not be popular but i still want Hunt at the club at hooker. He gives us a lot of strike from dummy half. McInnes has played well at lock and with a off season of bulking up he would be a sensation there.

possm

Coach
It may not be popular but i still want Hunt at the club at hooker. He gives us a lot of strike from dummy half. McInnes has played well at lock and with a off season of bulking up he would be a sensation there.
All will be up to the new coach. God help us if it is Young.

denis preston

First Grade
If anyone should be shopped around and we pay half ,it should be Norman.Obviously nobody sees value at 400k a year so how well is he going ! I'd say thats a reason we keep playing him, we may get some bites if he has a good game or two ? Hunt still provides value, not 1 million dollars worth but enough to not have to pay another club 500k a year to take him off our hands.

I am not talking about a long term solution.

the only place Foran

The only place Foran is going is to the scrap heap. He had some great years at Manly, won a comp. He should either retire or go to the English Super League[/QUOTE]
Just an idea...

getsmarty

Immortal
Brisbane tell Joe Ofahengaue he’s free to speak with rivals as club plot 10-man clean-out
Broncos
george_clarke.jpg

• September 2, 2020 6:51am
  • George Clarke
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
52936102c1e8880beb002f04af773537

Joe Ofahengaue during Brisbane Broncos trainingSource: News Corp Australia
Brisbane are set for a roster clean-out in the wake of Anthony Seibold’s sacking, with Joe Ofahengaue the first of a possible ten players to leave the club this season.

The Broncos have identified the Tongan international, who is on a reported $500,000 a year, as the first player they want to show the door.

Ofahengaue has started games on at prop, lock, second row and on the interchange this season and remains winless in 2020.

The forward, who remains contracted to the club until 2023, has been told he can speak to rivals with St George Illawarra interested in his services, according to 7 News.

Alongside Ofahengaue, David Fifita, Jack Bird and Darius Boyd are all set to leave the club.

Meanwhile, the Broncos will consider releasing $1 million playmaker Anthony Milford and are yet to determine the futures of Richie Kennar, Rhys Kennedy, Jordan Kahu, Jamil Hopoate, Ben Te’o and Sean O’Sullivan.

The freeing up of salary cap space will help whoever comes in to coach the Broncos.

The likes of Kotoni Staggs, Xavier Coates and Thomas Flegler are all able to speak to rival clubs from November 1.

The Broncos are yet to name a replacement for Seibold with Kevin Walters and Paul Green the two frontrunners to take the role.

Despite the Seibold disaster, outgoing chairman Karl Morris said the Broncos will take their time with the decision.

“We’re in no rush with the process,” Morris told The Australian last week.

“One of the advantages of having an open position, as with the CEO role, is you are sometimes surprised by who might be interested and who you might be able to secure.

“It is the Broncos — we will be looking for the best coach we possible can.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...d/news-story/676deb7e9c98b7f637b9be02add88e0e

getsmarty

Immortal
Back to Broncos? Ben Hunt linked to shock return — if the Dragons pay up
Dragons
george_clarke.jpg

• September 2, 2020 8:36am
  • George Clarke
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
50dfc855115a2ea88e9425d2add679f4

Ben Hunt seen during training at BrisbaneSource: AAP
Dragons playmaker Ben Hunt has been linked to a return to his old club, the Broncos, which would see Brisbane and St George Illawarra split his salary.

On an estimated $1.2 million a year, Hunt’s big-money to the Red V has not turned the Dragons into top-four contenders.

Hunt has played in the halves - where his partnership with Corey Norman came under scrutiny - at hooker and off the interchange for the joint-venture club

The 30-year-old is contracted to the club until 2022 and will play his 250th game in the NRL this weekend.

According to The Daily Telegraph, the Dragons would consider sending Hunt back to the Broncos and would be willing to chip in some of his salary to get him there.

Hunt’s exit would give the Dragons options to strengthen in other areas, while Brisbane would have an Origin and Test level playmaker to help guide their struggling squad around.

Already the Dragons have been linked to a move for Brisbane forward Joe Ofahengaue, but it remains to be seen if the two clubs could engineer a swap deal.

The seven-cap Kangaroo has maintained that he wants to be a halfback.

“Seven is my preferred position,” Hunt said. “I’ve always wanted to play halfback.

“But at the moment that’s where the club needs me to be [hooker]. I’m just trying to do my best job.”

How that affects the futures of Brisbane’s halves remains to be seen.

Tom Dearden is tipped as the club’s long-term halfback.

Sean O’Sullivan is off contract this year, while Anthony Milford is said to be free to explore his options.

Brodie Croft, the man signed by axed coach Anthony Seibold to turn the Broncos into a premiership force, was dropped from the 17-man squad for this weekend’s match-up with Penrith.

Former NSW Origin star Braith Anasta, however, has insisted that Hunt’s best role is as a hooker.

“He’s relentless every interview – ‘I’m a seven but I’ll do what’s best for the side right now’,” Anasta said.

“I don’t know if Ben Hunt is a seven anymore. The way he’s played at nine, he’s been much better in that position.

“He hasn’t played that well at seven for a number of year now, maybe it’s just time he accepts it that he is a nine now.

“Where would he play seven in any other side now?”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/b03e8039cff08fd460f2d70816318e1c

hazzbeen

Bench
AN HOUR AGO
Brisbane Broncos want Ben Hunt return as Dragons weigh up deal

WRITTEN BYTOM NAGHTEN
LEAGUE
BRISBANE BRONCOS
LEAGUE
ST. GEORGE-ILLAWARRA DRAGONS

Despite neither team currently having made a decision on their next coach, Brisbane and the Dragons could be set to broker a deal that would see star half Ben Hunt return to the Broncos.

Hunt has two years remaining on his rich deal worth around $1.2 million a season with St George Illawarra.

Originally signed as a halfback, Hunt has been shuffled around this season, playing seven, hooker, five-eighth or coming off the bench.

MORE: Benji Marshall’s exit ‘shockingly handled’ by Wests Tigers, says Paul Gallen

He has been named at dummy half for the club's round 17 clash with the Cowboys this Sunday.

With a big chunk of their cap tied up in the 30-year-old, the Dragons may consider letting the Queensland Origin rep return to the club he played 187 first-grade games with.

Speaking on Big Sports Breakfast, journalist Dean Ritchie said the Broncos were keen on luring Hunt back north.

"I think if Ben Hunt could go home to Brisbane, where he has family, I think he'd more comfortable in life," Ritchie said.

"It'd be a matter of working out how much you would pay him, in terms of the Broncos and the Dragons.

"The Broncos want him. The Dragons want to keep him... but it's a matter of whether they could manoeuvre something to ease up some salary cap pressures which they're under."

A report in the Daily Telegraph says St George Illawarra could pay around half of Hunt's salary if he was depart, freeing up around $600,000 for them to recruit another player.

Any potential agreement is likely to be put on hold until one or both clubs make a call on their vacant coaching positions.

Ritchie reports Maroons coach Kevin Walters has got his nose in front of Paul Green in the race for the job at Brisbane.

"As for the Broncos coaching, Kevin Walters is now ahead of Paul Green, as I understand," he said.

"I thought Greeny had the edge but I think you'll find that Kev is the front-runner.

"I haven't heard any other names, apart from those two."

While at the Dragons, caretaker coach Dean Young will have to fight off a challenge from Anthony Griffin and David Furner, who are set to interview this week.

"It's a three-horse race - Griffin, Furner and Young," he added.

"There is a theory that maybe Dean Young is just a fraction too young at the moment and he could be an assistant if he's prepared to wait another two or three years.

"What I'm hearing is Griffin's probably got the edge and then Furner and then Young."

Contact Privacy Policy DAZN Group Careers
ShareShare

Attachments

• upload_2020-9-2_10-5-2.gif
    upload_2020-9-2_10-5-2.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 0

St Georgio

Juniors
So would everyone but Norman has only one year left so we will just have to use him as a backup for now. Come 2022 though both off our books and Sullivan entrenched in the halves
I haven't seen much of these younger players in Action, the Dragons haven't blooded any halves decent since Choc and Hornby, so hopefully they'll blossom into Premiership winning players.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I haven't seen much of these younger players in Action, the Dragons haven't blooded any halves decent since Choc and Hornby, so hopefully they'll blossom into Premiership winning players.
I’ve only watched Sullivan’s highlights, some Koori Knockout games the final where he won man of the match. He’s got it all bar size, hopefully he can throw on a few kegs, concentrate heavily on perfect technique in tackling and have a hitman/bodyguard beside him and we can get him going.

possm

Coach
I don’t mind the idea Jordon and I see your point

let Saab F off though he doesn’t want us and I don’t want him
He looked very average when he got a chance I’d rather give another young one ago instead
Surely with Saab it is only the sales pitch that has made him want to leave. Maybe the new coach and his new staff can turn things around which begs the question, would Frizell still have wanted to if he believed/knew Mary was out and a new coach to be announced this season?