What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Coach 2021 and Beyond

Who do you want to see as Dragons coach?

• Total voters

Inisai Toga

Juniors
To be honest, I find it so odd that Fitzy knocked back Saints for his first NRL gig to honour being an assistant? Has Politis got some wood on him that he is scared to leave? Bizzare

Gould did a review and is close to the Chooks, do you think he has scared him off with what he knows about the upper Management at Saints that may set him up for failure? Giving Gould the keys to the city and look at Saints was a bad move.
Possibly Slippery, but then again from Fitzgibbon’s perspective, what’s the rush?
He is in the fortunate position to develop
his craft further whilst on good coin with the ‘possible‘ premiers. His price would only go up and he’d develop even more over the next couple of years,

The way clubs are turning over coaches so frequently, I’m sure he’d get a gig, (most likely with us) irrespective of Gould’s opinions.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
I know it is only from the Mole but interesting. What do you guys think about James Maloney? He is a playmaker that we need. Much better than Norman will ever be and has won premierships. I know he gives penalties away a lot but he is a match winner and a great goal kicker.
EXCLUSIVE: Anthony Griffin to tout signing of James Maloney in bid for Dragons job
https%3A%2F%2Fimageresizer.static9.net.au%2FmSBkH_e4otW2pi-LpZeSDFjaNO4%3D%2F75x75%2Fsmart%2Fhttps%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2017%2F05%2F05%2F11%2F44%2Fthe_mole_byline.jpg
By The Mole
4 hours ago
https://wwos.nine.com.au/news/boxin...perfight/a312ab91-f0bb-4e2f-b644-c4f580d063eb
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/mole-wests-tigers-player-cleanout/c15efbc1-ac16-4727-9521-b25d36aaafeb

Brutalitops

Juniors
I was only speaking with a mate the other day and my thoughts were Maloney is the sort of half we need ..... Competitive , and if he makes a mistake doesn't go into his shell .... Its a yes from me ......
That's because he makes a mistake every 8.2 seconds on average. If he went into his shell he wouldn't take the field

possm

Coach
I know it is only from the Mole but interesting. What do you guys think about James Maloney? He is a playmaker that we need. Much better than Norman will ever be and has won premierships. I know he gives penalties away a lot but he is a match winner and a great goal kicker.
EXCLUSIVE: Anthony Griffin to tout signing of James Maloney in bid for Dragons job
https%3A%2F%2Fimageresizer.static9.net.au%2FmSBkH_e4otW2pi-LpZeSDFjaNO4%3D%2F75x75%2Fsmart%2Fhttps%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2017%2F05%2F05%2F11%2F44%2Fthe_mole_byline.jpg
By The Mole
4 hours ago
If we can off-load Norman and Hunt for Maloney and a good prop, no strings attached then that is a positive for me.

Cancel contract for all concerned and then strike up contracts with their new club. If Griffin is organising recruitment/retention/pathways then I think it will work well. But if it is Millward, he can bet your house on it, it will be a MESS.

Dragon David

First Grade
I was only speaking with a mate the other day and my thoughts were Maloney is the sort of half we need ..... Competitive , and if he makes a mistake doesn't go into his shell .... Its a yes from me ......
Yes, you are right. Maloney is competitive through and through and tough and doesn't shirk away from all the rough stuff. He is a straight runner of the ball and can set up our centres no doubt. If Griffin can swing it, then I'm for Griffin to be our coach.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Interesting in NRL 360 how Crawley supported Griffin with all the negative press he got from Webster for the Saints to keep away. Initially I did not want Griffin but Crawley made some good points. However I would not sin him for 3 years.

He blooded 15 juniors at the Broncos and a stack more at Penrith so he does promote youth. Only concern is he has dull game plans which is a Mary trait we have been privy to for too long which scares me. Unless he gets a good attacking coach to look after that it may work. Young is not that person but maybe Matt Head is as his teams in the juniors were good to watch in attack.

Id like to see Matt get more of a go in our coaching stocks too. He has gotten better results from teams than Young has that's for certain.

I liked him as a player too, he was great to watch when he was fit and had some confidence behind him (I'm sure many of us remember his efforts in the famous 05 Anzac Day win).

Probably the fact that he spent some time at other clubs like the Tigers and Hull FC means he doesn't 'bleed red and white' or have the same connections as Deano does.

getsmarty

Immortal
By The Mole
5 hours ago
Anthony Griffin is set to dangle match-winning pivot James Maloney as a 'carrot' to the Dragons in his bid to get the coaching job at the club next year.

With the Dragons looking to offload million-dollar halfback Ben Hunt at the end of the season, the club will be in the market for a playmaker.

Maloney, currently in the first year of a three-year contract with French club Catalans, is enjoying life in Europe.

But the global pandemic has put the future of Super League in considerable doubt, with players destined to be handed pay cuts and some clubs likely to fold.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F8bfac957-7775-43be-9113-87440738c7b5

Former Broncos and Panthers coach Anthony Griffin, a leading contender for the Dragons job. (Getty)
Griffin and Maloney worked well together at Penrith in 2018 and the much-travelled 34-year-old may consider moving back to Australia to finish his career if Catalans are in danger of collapsing.

Griffin is involved in a battle with caretaker coach Dean Young and Knights assistant coach David Furner for the Dragons job.

While Griffin has copped some criticism in recent days, being able to land the prized signature of Maloney - a renowned winner - would boost his stocks considerably.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F69d2e265-65af-4384-9447-41cca801dafe

James Maloney after full-time in Origin III last year, and another series win for NSW. (AAP)

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/dragon...-signing/0e60421a-a7e9-4195-9b9f-4b6e2866bfb2

qld redvee

Juniors
Interesting in NRL 360 how Crawley supported Griffin with all the negative press he got from Webster for the Saints to keep away. Initially I did not want Griffin but Crawley made some good points. However I would not sin him for 3 years.

He blooded 15 juniors at the Broncos and a stack more at Penrith so he does promote youth. Only concern is he has dull game plans which is a Mary trait we have been privy to for too long which scares me. Unless he gets a good attacking coach to look after that it may work. Young is not that person but maybe Matt Head is as his teams in the juniors were good to watch in attack.
slippery
also liked how Iken or kent also said that griffin had improved himself after leaving penrith . apparantly acknowledged his "faults" and worked on them to improve himself If this is the case then its a no brainer to sign him up and even give him the books straight away so we can get something positive happening

possm

Coach
Id like to see Matt get more of a go in our coaching stocks too. He has gotten better results from teams than Young has that's for certain.

I liked him as a player too, he was great to watch when he was fit and had some confidence behind him (I'm sure many of us remember his efforts in the famous 05 Anzac Day win).

Probably the fact that he spent some time at other clubs like the Tigers and Hull FC means he doesn't 'bleed red and white' or have the same connections as Deano does.
Matt Head strikes me as a good coach and I would not be surprised to see as an assistant to a first grade coach in the near future.

The only hurdle Matt Head has at SGI, is he does not have a father on the Board.

SAP58

Juniors
I just hope they don’t drag it out, interview tomorrow announcement Friday or early next week. Welcome Hook :)

I'm Hornby

Juniors

Please let common sense prevail and Griffin become our next coach. Please don't let a few people with axes to grind screw this man out of a job and our team in to more obscurity.

getsmarty

Immortal
de-belinj-180721711.jpg

DRAGONS

Updated
Dragons agree to terms with Jack de Belin for 2021
Author
Dan Walsh NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 2 Sep 2020, 06:56 PM
walshdan-head.png

St George Illawarra and Jack de Belin have announced an in-principle agreement for the star forward to re-sign beyond 2020 pending the outcome of his upcoming criminal case.

De Belin's current contract expires just days before he is due back in Wollongong District Court, but the Dragons have confirmed in principle agreement for him to remain at the club next season should he be permitted to resume playing again in 2021.

The NSW Origin lock has been unavailable to play under the NRL's no fault stand down rule for the past 18 months but still fielded significant interest from the Warriors recently.

The Dragons released a statement on Wednesday night confirming the agreement, with the "terms of de Belin's contract will remain confidential while the matter remains before the court."

The club also refuted a report that Ben Hunt could be moved on before his long-term deal expires as "completely inaccurate".

Meanwhile, CEO Ryan Webb has vowed to establish St George Illawarra's identity once and for all with a decision on Paul McGregor's successor expected to come in the next few days.

Thursday's scheduled interviews with Dean Young, Anthony Griffin and David Furner, and the appointment of a head coach largely dictates how the Dragons rebuild, with Webb describing the looming call as "the most important decision the club has made in recent times" in a recent members update.

An emphasis on discipline, defence, developing young talent and hailing from a successful culture have been outlined as key qualities needed from the club's next coach.

young_rc1_0215.jpg

Dean Young was promoted to coach the Dragons for the final six rounds of 2020. :copyright:Robb Cox/NRL Photos
A final decision is expected imminently to ensure the Dragons can offer prospective recruits an answer on the identity of their 2021 coach as soon as possible.

After a tumultuous first four months as CEO, Webb has also made revitalising the Dragons' identity a key strategic goal.

The joint-venture club has been roundly criticised in recent times for its handling of McGregor's final seasons, with a split along traditional St George and Illawarra factional lines emerging amid a two-year slide down the ladder.

Webb came to the high-pressure role with no ties to either side of the joint-venture, but has 15 years of experience across commercial and marketing roles in the AFL and NRL.

With St George's 100-year anniversary on the horizon in 2021, and Illawarra's own 40-year landmark coming the following season, Webb has flagged greater acknowledgement of history from both clubs.

"Our priority is to understand who we are and what we want to be now," Webb told NRL.com.

"I don't think it's as clear as what it has been in the past. We need to define our identity really clearly. We need to embrace both foundation clubs.

furner-d-191119101sm.jpg

Knights assistant coach David Furner. :copyright:Shane Myers/NRL Photos
"It feels like we sometimes hold back on embracing the past because we don't want to upset people on either side. By doing that we end up not pleasing anyone because we don't do anything.

"It's in our blood. We wear that Red V and we sing the same song, and we've got all these players coming out of the Illawarra. It's in our blood. That history is us so it should be everywhere.

"It needs focus and attention. And yes, it will need somewhat awkward conversations, things spoken out loud."

Wayne Bennett's premiership-winning, three-year stint a decade ago is the one and only time a coach without significant links to either the Steelers or Saints has taken the St George Illawarra post.

However Young, who significantly boasts Bennett's endorsement, offers a bridge of sorts between the two foundation clubs as the son of Dragons great Craig Young, a Steelers junior and 2010 title winner with the merged entity.

Griffin and Furner meanwhile offer obvious alternatives to critics who argue a coach without any association is what the club needs.

griffin-a--182007_jo_1-1.jpg

Anthony Griffin has had coaching stints at Brisbane and Penrith. :copyright:Jason O'Brien/NRL Photos
A call on assistant coach Shane Flanagan's future can only be made once a head coach is installed, but Webb is hopeful a 12-month extension can be negotiated beyond November.

Phil Gould's oft-cited review of the Dragons' set-up last year came with the concerning caveat that the club could not afford to implement several of his recommendations.

Webb took issue with the "misconception that this club doesn't have money," and insisted the backing of St George Leagues Club and WIN Corporation meant their incoming coach could count on the "right resources" being provided to the football department.

Their soon to be completed strategic plan won't call out a specific on-field goal but wants to generate a distinct defence-based game fans can have faith in at the very least.

"[Interim coach] Dean Young spoke to this, that fans and members will at least know what they're going to get when they run out on the field," Webb said.

"That's the easiest measure of success I think. And we don't have that right now.

"We need to get there and we do that with the right appointment of coach, the right support structures through the organisation and making sure they've got the resources right to do their job.

"We need to give the football department every chance to win games."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/02...s-to-define-identity-after-making-coach-call/

Mjab

Juniors
Possibly Slippery, but then again from Fitzgibbon’s perspective, what’s the rush?
He is in the fortunate position to develop
his craft further whilst on good coin with the ‘possible‘ premiers. His price would only go up and he’d develop even more over the next couple of years,

The way clubs are turning over coaches so frequently, I’m sure he’d get a gig, (most likely with us) irrespective of Gould’s opinions.
If he is any good and rumour is true that Robbo going to France in medium term he probably wants the Chooks top job in a good organisation and plenty of dollars

or Saints ?
And entrenched Dragons footy

Latest posts