What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

SGMax

Juniors
"The Broncos want him. The Dragons want to keep him... but it's a matter of whether they could manoeuvre something to ease up some salary cap pressures which they're under."

What cap pressure?
Departures this year: Luke, Frizell, Lafai, Aitken, Graham
Others likely to leave: K.Sims, Saab.

Only Frizell and Graham on substantial money but we should not be anywhere near a cap limit.
Lets swap Hunt or Norman for Ofahengaue and Staggs.
We should still have enough money for a couple of props (Marty Taupou is apparently on their hit list).
I would even consider Tamou for a short stint if we can't get Welch.
Lawrie is only a backup for injury and suspension....Ellis is Ok but we need much better.

I can't believe how low our stock of quality front rowers is....Vaughn and an improving Kerr.

hazzbeen

Bench
What cap pressure?

Only Frizell and Graham on substantial money but we should not be anywhere near a cap limit.
We should still have enough money for a couple of props (Marty Taupou is apparently on their hit list).
Lawrie is only a backup for injury and suspension....Ellis is Ok but we need much better.

I can't believe how low our stock of quality front rowers is....Vaughn and an improving Kerr.
Staggs for me ....

possm

Coach
What cap pressure?

The quality of our recruitment/ retention/pathways director can be judged on the quality of our player list.

What a mess!

Lethal25

Juniors
Rejected by Suli and Welch.

During the season lost Graham, Lafai & Luke, only signed Ellis as replacement.

Talking about keeping De Belin as an option with a trial pending.

Interviewing David Furner as a potential head coach

Rejected by Fitzgibbon

Shopping Hunt and potentially paying up to half his salary

Lose captain and best player Widdop mid contract 2019

Lose possibly best player left at the club Frizzel 2020

What a shit show, this club is clearly on the nose. Only one good piece of news all year in my opinion, McGregor gone

possm

Coach

Rejected by Fitzgibbon

What a shit show, this club is clearly on the nose. Only one good piece of news all year in my opinion, McGregor gone
You nailed it!

I wouldn't be surprised to find that Millward has front ended come contracts to make it easier for him to sign some players for 2021. He should have off-loaded Aitken before the cut-off date in order to plough another 200k into his front-end payment scheme. Useless at attracting and retaining players but good at drawing attention away from his poor cap management.

Last edited:

FlameThrower

Bench

Rejected by Fitzgibbon

Looks positive onwards and upwards :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Dragon David

First Grade
What cap pressure?

Yes, our stock of front rowers is quite low. When you compare us with say the Storm who have stacks of big boppers, we are limited to only a few and even Vaughan is light weight compared to what the Storm have.

If we are to rebuild the squad, big, hard running/offloading type props are needed no risk.

Dragon David

First Grade

Rejected by Fitzgibbon

As I have said many times, this club has become the new Rejects establishment. We get rejected and we sign rejects.

getsmarty

Immortal
Ben Hunt Addresses Bombshell Broncos Return Rumours On Eve Of 250th

Sporting News
1 hour ago

HUNT EYES 300TH IN THE RED V DESPITE BRONCOS LINKS
On the eve of Ben Hunt's 250th NRL game, bombshell reports have linked the rep star with a return home to Brisbane.

The Daily Telegraph reports the Dragons and Broncos are considering brokering a deal that would see the two clubs split Hunt's huge $1 million salary to facilitate his move to Brisbane and cut his stay with the Red V by two years.

Hunt says he hasn't thought once about leaving St. George Illawarra and his sights are set on notching up his 300th in Dragons colours.

"That's the goal," said of his desire to see out his Dragons deal and reach the 300-game milestone.

"There's no thoughts going on that I want to leave and go anywhere else at the moment. I'm just looking forward to getting a new coach and getting stuck in next year.

"I think it's going to be a great change for the club and a big freshen up.

"I think in the off-season everyone will come back pretty eager to go and impress whoever's coaching so there's nothing from me [to suggest] that I want to leave."

- Ed Chisholm

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sports/ne...os-return-rumours-on-eve-of-250th/ar-BB18CyQq

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

Rejected by Fitzgibbon

Sums it all up pretty well Lethal- This club has managed to simultaneously get all the wrong people in the important positions from Chairman of the Board, Director of Recruitment and Pathways and down to Head Coach ALL AT THE SAME TIME. As Roy and HG eloquently put it, we are mired in the mud like hapless water buffaloes.

SAP58

Juniors
Ben Hunt Addresses Bombshell Broncos Return Rumours On Eve Of 250th

Sporting News
1 hour ago

HUNT EYES 300TH IN THE RED V DESPITE BRONCOS LINKS
On the eve of Ben Hunt's 250th NRL game, bombshell reports have linked the rep star with a return home to Brisbane.

The Daily Telegraph reports the Dragons and Broncos are considering brokering a deal that would see the two clubs split Hunt's huge $1 million salary to facilitate his move to Brisbane and cut his stay with the Red V by two years.

Hunt says he hasn't thought once about leaving St. George Illawarra and his sights are set on notching up his 300th in Dragons colours.

"That's the goal," said of his desire to see out his Dragons deal and reach the 300-game milestone.

"There's no thoughts going on that I want to leave and go anywhere else at the moment. I'm just looking forward to getting a new coach and getting stuck in next year.

"I think it's going to be a great change for the club and a big freshen up.

"I think in the off-season everyone will come back pretty eager to go and impress whoever's coaching so there's nothing from me [to suggest] that I want to leave."

- Ed Chisholm

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sports/ne...os-return-rumours-on-eve-of-250th/ar-BB18CyQq
Haven’t we heard “coming back fresh & getting stuck in next year” before :D

getsmarty

Immortal
huntb-200717_gt_099.jpg

SIGNINGS

Dragons recruitment and retention update
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Wed 2 Sep 2020, 06:10 PM

The St George Illawarra Dragons have provided the following update regarding the futures of Jack de Belin and Ben Hunt.

The Dragons can confirm that de Belin has agreed in principle to re-sign with the Dragons beyond the 2020 season, pending the outcome of his imminent court matter.

The terms of de Belin's contract will remain confidential while the matter remains before the court.

St George Illawarra wish to also clarify that conjecture over Ben Hunt's future at the Red V is completely inaccurate. The Dragons' recruitment committee have never discussed the prospect of releasing the Queensland and Australia representative to another club.

Hunt remains contracted to the Red V until at least the end of the 2023 season.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/09/02/dragons-recruitment-and-retention-update/

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons re-sign de Belin amid court trial

Marc Churches
15 mins ago

The St George Illawarra Dragons have confirmed Jack de Belin will have a spot on the team's roster for the 2021 NRL season, pending the outcome of his court trial scheduled for November.

De Belin's NRL career last week copped a brutal blow after it was determined that his aggravated sexual assault case would proceed to trial.

Despite being stood down under the NRL's 'no fault' stand down policy, the 29-year-old has continued to train with the squad, collecting full pay, in excess of $600,000-a-season, while being unavailable for selection.

The Dragons announced in a statement today that de Belin had agreed in principle to a new contract beyond the 2020 season.

BB18rCRj.img
:copyright: Getty Jack de Belin
"The Dragons can confirm that de Belin has agreed in principle to re-sign with the Dragons beyond the 2020 season, pending the outcome of his imminent court matter," the statement read.

"The terms of de Belin's contract will remain confidential while the matter remains before the court."

Earlier this season, future Warriors coach Nathan Brown revealed the club had intentions of signing de Belin to a contract reportedly worth around the $750,000-a-year ball park.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/more-sports/dragons-re-sign-de-belin-amid-court-trial/ar-BB18CYBS

getsmarty

Immortal
Jack De Belin agrees to stick with Dragons
  • r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

St. George Illawarra have agreed to in-principle terms with Jack de Belin beyond 2020.
    Jack de Belin will stay with St George Illawarra if he is able to play in the NRL beyond the end of his sexual assault trial.

The Dragons confirmed on Wednesday that de Belin had reached an in-principle agreement that he would remain with the club beyond the end of this season.

The contract is pending the former NSW State of Origin lock's trial, which is set to begin on November 2.

De Belin will be off contract at the end of this year, and was set to attract interest from the Warriors.

However he has decided to remain with the Dragons, with the club having debuted him in 2011 and stuck by him since he was charged in December 2018.

"The Dragons can confirm that de Belin has agreed in principle to re-sign with the Dragons beyond the 2020 season, pending the outcome of his imminent court matter," the club said in a statement.

"The terms of de Belin's contract will remain confidential while the matter remains before the court."

He and his co-accused Callan Sinclair have pleaded not guilty to the aggravated sexual assault of a 19-year-old inside a Wollongong apartment.

De Belin hasn't played in the NRL since the end of 2018, having been the highest-profile player stood down under the NRL's no-fault policy.

At the time of his charge he was one of the game's premier locks, having been at the centre of the Dragons' early charge up the ladder that year.

Meanwhile the Saints have also moved to hose down speculation Ben Hunt could be shopped out of the club.

The Dragons halfback-turned-hooker only took up an option to stay at the club for an extra season earlier this year, and remains locked in until the end of 2023.

"The Dragons' recruitment committee have never discussed the prospect of releasing the Queensland and Australia representative to another club," the Dragons said.

Australian Associated Press

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/6907822/jack-de-belin-agrees-to-stick-with-dragons/?cs=13068

getsmarty

Immortal
de-belinj-180721711.jpg

DRAGONS

Updated
Dragons agree to terms with Jack de Belin for 2021
Author
Dan Walsh NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 2 Sep 2020, 06:56 PM
walshdan-head.png

St George Illawarra and Jack de Belin have announced an in-principle agreement for the star forward to re-sign beyond 2020 pending the outcome of his upcoming criminal case.

De Belin's current contract expires just days before he is due back in Wollongong District Court, but the Dragons have confirmed in principle agreement for him to remain at the club next season should he be permitted to resume playing again in 2021.

The NSW Origin lock has been unavailable to play under the NRL's no fault stand down rule for the past 18 months but still fielded significant interest from the Warriors recently.

The Dragons released a statement on Wednesday night confirming the agreement, with the "terms of de Belin's contract will remain confidential while the matter remains before the court."

The club also refuted a report that Ben Hunt could be moved on before his long-term deal expires as "completely inaccurate".

Meanwhile, CEO Ryan Webb has vowed to establish St George Illawarra's identity once and for all with a decision on Paul McGregor's successor expected to come in the next few days.

Thursday's scheduled interviews with Dean Young, Anthony Griffin and David Furner, and the appointment of a head coach largely dictates how the Dragons rebuild, with Webb describing the looming call as "the most important decision the club has made in recent times" in a recent members update.

An emphasis on discipline, defence, developing young talent and hailing from a successful culture have been outlined as key qualities needed from the club's next coach.

young_rc1_0215.jpg

Dean Young was promoted to coach the Dragons for the final six rounds of 2020. :copyright:Robb Cox/NRL Photos
A final decision is expected imminently to ensure the Dragons can offer prospective recruits an answer on the identity of their 2021 coach as soon as possible.

After a tumultuous first four months as CEO, Webb has also made revitalising the Dragons' identity a key strategic goal.

The joint-venture club has been roundly criticised in recent times for its handling of McGregor's final seasons, with a split along traditional St George and Illawarra factional lines emerging amid a two-year slide down the ladder.

Webb came to the high-pressure role with no ties to either side of the joint-venture, but has 15 years of experience across commercial and marketing roles in the AFL and NRL.

With St George's 100-year anniversary on the horizon in 2021, and Illawarra's own 40-year landmark coming the following season, Webb has flagged greater acknowledgement of history from both clubs.

"Our priority is to understand who we are and what we want to be now," Webb told NRL.com.

"I don't think it's as clear as what it has been in the past. We need to define our identity really clearly. We need to embrace both foundation clubs.

furner-d-191119101sm.jpg

Knights assistant coach David Furner. :copyright:Shane Myers/NRL Photos
"It feels like we sometimes hold back on embracing the past because we don't want to upset people on either side. By doing that we end up not pleasing anyone because we don't do anything.

"It's in our blood. We wear that Red V and we sing the same song, and we've got all these players coming out of the Illawarra. It's in our blood. That history is us so it should be everywhere.

"It needs focus and attention. And yes, it will need somewhat awkward conversations, things spoken out loud."

Wayne Bennett's premiership-winning, three-year stint a decade ago is the one and only time a coach without significant links to either the Steelers or Saints has taken the St George Illawarra post.

However Young, who significantly boasts Bennett's endorsement, offers a bridge of sorts between the two foundation clubs as the son of Dragons great Craig Young, a Steelers junior and 2010 title winner with the merged entity.

Griffin and Furner meanwhile offer obvious alternatives to critics who argue a coach without any association is what the club needs.

griffin-a--182007_jo_1-1.jpg

Anthony Griffin has had coaching stints at Brisbane and Penrith. :copyright:Jason O'Brien/NRL Photos
A call on assistant coach Shane Flanagan's future can only be made once a head coach is installed, but Webb is hopeful a 12-month extension can be negotiated beyond November.

Phil Gould's oft-cited review of the Dragons' set-up last year came with the concerning caveat that the club could not afford to implement several of his recommendations.

Webb took issue with the "misconception that this club doesn't have money," and insisted the backing of St George Leagues Club and WIN Corporation meant their incoming coach could count on the "right resources" being provided to the football department.

Their soon to be completed strategic plan won't call out a specific on-field goal but wants to generate a distinct defence-based game fans can have faith in at the very least.

"[Interim coach] Dean Young spoke to this, that fans and members will at least know what they're going to get when they run out on the field," Webb said.

"That's the easiest measure of success I think. And we don't have that right now.

"We need to get there and we do that with the right appointment of coach, the right support structures through the organisation and making sure they've got the resources right to do their job.

"We need to give the football department every chance to win games."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/02...s-to-define-identity-after-making-coach-call/