What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Board Split

Mjab

Juniors
Sometimes I wish our club went the way of the Bears or the Jets.
Then I could pack it in and stop watching this shit once and forever. I'm quite sure I'd be happier.
At least we could go and watch some CC saints at some of those classic grounds like N S Oval
Is Henson park still in existence or opal Towers 2

Gareth67

First Grade
Cannot believes that the fools are still at loggerheads after 20 years . For pity sake it is plain enough even to a blind man that the Joint Venture has failed. It is merely a hybrid of a successful club conjoined to one which never truly hit the heights .

But for those of you whom may think that I still have not accepted the Dragons as a J.Venture you would be wrong . They are still the St.George Illawarra Dragons and wear the Big Red V , always have been aware of the tremendous nursery that the South Coast area was and still is to the team itself .

As mentioned earlier it has now been 20 years and other clubs such as the WestTigers whom have found themselves in a similar arrangement ( one of which was conveniently created by the NRL so as to allow new teams into the competition ) have actually worked well together - no infighting whatsoever .

As the years have passed any differences have been smoothed away as a file would smooth a sharp edge . But not at the Dragons , the factions apparently can not agree upon major decisions . Most disappointing after this length of time .

Once and for all the problems must be solved and if a amicable working relationship cannot be found then they should apply to their masters at the NRL for a divorce .

But they will not survive alone I hear you ask ? The NRL wanted clubs in W.A. I am sure that with the WIN corporation and the Gordon’s money combined that the Steelers would more than survive there .

There comes a time when one must turn Mothers picture to the wall and move on - unfortunately it seems that time has arrived .

Last edited:
Lara Pitt reports WIN and St George board members are at loggerheads.

WIN apparently don’t want Doust on the board.

St George Board would split now if they could.

What a mess.

How do we recruit a quality coach with these muppets carrying on.

It’s time for one side to buy the other.

In either case the name and colours should be retained.

Perhaps the group that offered Illawarra more money than WIN should buy both sides out.
Most sensible idea I've heard in years!!
Hope this disagreement leads to real change starting with change of ownership.

Gareth67

First Grade
FF1DFCC6-5DED-4BB5-99E6-865829F3C48F.png
Just food for thought . There is another page to this article where Robinson mentions that the St.George League Club has plenty of money “ In fact the bank owes us money “ . Now how often has anyone heard that - the bank owes us money.

Plus numerous investments which are resulting in very healthy returns . I realize that the League’s club and the football club are separate , however I am sure that they would also be able to finance the football club to a higher degree than they are now . More so if a new benefactor was forthcoming .

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
There is another page to this article where Robinson mentions that the St.George League Club has plenty of money “ In fact the bank owes us money “ . Now how often has anyone heard that - the bank owes us money.
I’ve heard it used in only two occasions:

Firstly when one is a financier to the banks, in which case you’re richer than pretty much every organisation in the country.

Secondly when a company’s income recovery department is so lazy that they haven’t been able to take what is rightfully theirs.

Not sure which bucket SGRLFC fits into, but looking at the Taj I’m assuming it’s not the first one.

SGMax

Juniors
The problem is St George needed to remain a dominant partner in the JV.
How do you justify giving Illawarra who were on their way out anyway, equal control and influence?

Hopefully this leads to a parting of ways and a return to Kogarah.
Illawarra don't know their place so can go sulk in the corner and squabble amongst themselves over the loss of NRL in Wollongong.

redv13

Bench
I agree..

The cash of WIN combined with the sporting boys of TSE would make the Illawarra Dragons a true force.

How do we make this happen?
Maybe the Illawarra morons can grab their zero success, multiple wooden spoons, socks and get farked once and for all

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Maybe the Illawarra morons can grab their zero success, multiple wooden spoons, socks and get farked once and for all
WIN and TSE are independent of the Steelers (who last appeared in 1st grade 22 years ago).

How is your comment relevant to them?

I’m looking at what can bring success to this club, not what happened before some of the current players were born.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
The problem is St George needed to remain a dominant partner in the JV.
How do you justify giving Illawarra who were on their way out anyway, equal control and influence?
Well firstly, by its very nature a joint venture involves equal control and influence from both parties, so that’s a rather bizarre statement.

Secondly, many seem to forget that St George were headed to the history books as well. Remember the almost merger with the Roosters?

The JV saved St George just as much as Illawarra.

Gareth67

First Grade
I’ve heard it used in only two occasions:

Firstly when one is a financier to the banks, in which case you’re richer than pretty much every organisation in the country.

Secondly when a company’s income recovery department is so lazy that they haven’t been able to take what is rightfully theirs.

Not sure which bucket SGRLFC fits into, but looking at the Taj I’m assuming it’s not the first one.

Well if you stop looking from a pessimist viewpoint and see it from an optimist view you would undoubtedly choose the previous - not the latter of the two . :relaxed:

SGMax

Juniors
Well firstly, by its very nature a joint venture involves equal control and influence from both parties, so that’s a rather bizarre statement.

Secondly, many seem to forget that St George were headed to the history books as well. Remember the almost merger with the Roosters?

The JV saved St George just as much as Illawarra.

You can talk ownership and you can talk who is in charge of the JV.
Illawarra should not be in charge of the running of the club with their track record and limited history.
They should be ecstatic that they got their name included on the emblem.
Whose song do they sing after a win???

Secondly, Illawarra were definites to be booted. They had no future alternative except the JV.
St.George were under pressure to merge with Roosters or to move interstate but that was by no means definite.
They should have risked going it alone. Even in the worst case, a better outcome than the sad state the club has been dragged down to by this ungratefull mob from the south.

Board issues? Not a new thing.
Happened at West’s, Manly, Parra, Sharks, Penrith, Bulldogs and now Broncos. Some of these boards have bordered on the dysfunctional, even with their clubs performing on the field. Even while winning comps in Manly’s case. Board ructions and Rugby League go hand-in-hand. The JV haters can bleat all they like but the fact remains, Saints and the Steelers need each other. None of this matters when the team is performing solidly. Let’s get back to what’s important, sign a proven coach who can transform them on the field like Wayne Bennett did. There were few complaints about boardroom bs when we were winning minor and major premierships. Tensions will always be there. They look like insurmountable schisms when you finish 15th or 11th but tend to fade into the background when you are consistently winning.

The calm one

Juniors
Lara Pitt reports WIN and St George board members are at loggerheads.

WIN apparently don’t want Doust on the board.

St George Board would split now if they could.

What a mess.

How do we recruit a quality coach with these muppets carrying on.

It’s time for one side to buy the other.

In either case the name and colours should be retained.

Perhaps the group that offered Illawarra more money than WIN should buy both sides out.
No mess man all good. It will be calm. Lara speak no good. Stay calm