What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Coach 2021 and Beyond

Who do you want to see as Dragons coach?

• Total voters

Dea

Juniors
We need a coach not connected to SGI, st George, or Illawarra. get rid of Millard also and start again. Our roster isn’t good enough andMcGregor was removed from that leaving Millard responsible and accountable.
Young should go get some experience elsewhere and then come back once he has proven himself. I’ve not been impressed with his press conferences and criticisms of the players. Justified or not, I would question the players wanting to play for him with the attitudes he shows.
We can only appoint from those available, and it looks like many, like the NRL players, don’t want to come to the club. I just hope we only sign whoever for a short term and there is a performance clause as well.

The Club’s three criteria in appointing a new coach Is an exercise in amateurish stupidity, almost as dumb as saying the job was Youbg’s to lose .... but let’s humour the CEO for now ...

1. Defence oriented approach
2. Disciplinarian
3. Must have been part of a successful setup

The candidates?
1. Dean Young. Doesn’t tick any box. Has only functioned as an understudy to McGregor in the NRL. This was a spectacularly unsuccessful setup.

2. David Furner. WTF? Was part of the Cowboys premiership, granted And has also been at Souths, but he was sacked from the Raiders by his brother, in no small part due to the lack of discipline among his playing ranks. Massive curve ball. A different ex-Raider forward Todd Payten, May have made sense.

3. Anthony Griffin. moderately successful. Always seems to make finals at least. He’s a disciplinarian. Webster tried to paint him as the reincarnation of Brian Smith.

The closest we’ll get to ticking all the boxes so he’s a no-brainer out of this lot. But just how exhaustive has the search been in three weeks when this is the field?

St Georgio

Juniors
The Club’s three criteria in appointing a new coach Is an exercise in amateurish stupidity, almost as dumb as saying the job was Youbg’s to lose .... but let’s humour the CEO for now ...

2. Disciplinarian

The candidates?
1. Dean Young. Doesn’t tick any box. Has only functioned as an understudy to McGregor in the NRL. This was a spectacularly unsuccessful setup.

2. David Furner. WTF? Was part of the Cowboys premiership, granted And has also been at Souths, but he was sacked from the Raiders by his brother, in no small part due to the lack of discipline among his playing ranks. Massive curve ball. A different ex-Raider forward Todd Payten, May have made sense.

3. Anthony Griffin. moderately successful. Always seems to make finals at least. He’s a disciplinarian. Webster tried to paint him as the reincarnation of Brian Smith.

The closest we’ll get to ticking all the boxes so he’s a no-brainer out of this lot. But just how exhaustive has the search been in three weeks when this is the field?
If our Moronic BOD Cannot sign the best available right now in Shaun Wane, then as Webster put it I could live with a reincarnated Brian Smith!
Really Furner WTF and DY Seriously!

Timmo62

Juniors
Best coaches not available till the end of next year. They need to make a decision now. I don't see the love for Wane. NRL is very different to super league. He has applied to several clubs for the job if media reports are to be believed but has gained squat support. Why would that be?

HenryTatana

Juniors

2. Disciplinarian

The candidates?

We will be lead to believe that the search has been worldwide.

Paddles

Juniors
Their stated criteria are
1. Defence
2. Discipline
3. Success

Looking at their feet - the way they are moving and acting, the criteria seem to be
1. Ensure Deano is either the next coach or coach in waiting
2. If it's not Deano, get a lackey who won't rock the boat, diminish the board's power or paycheques, or upset the succession planning.

redVinme

Bench
Who'd wanna coach the dragons knowing that you are only there to keep the seat warm for deano. On what merit?

What hypothetically would happen if the new coach has us top 4 in a few years?

Deano reminds me of mary in a way. All about what the team is and ain't doing.
Coaching isn't saying it's black and white you meet the standards or you don't. It's the coaches job to get them there. Accountability is good but players don't buy in if their boss doesn't have any

getsmarty

Immortal
Anthony Griffin emerges as frontrunner for Dragons job — but ‘bad blood’ threatens to derail decision
Dragons
  • September 3, 2020 6:31am
  • by Brenton Cherry
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
7bb7fc7c5ae01a41bfb1308a4b79018f

Anthony Griffin is the frontrunner for the Dragons job.Source: AAP
Anthony Griffin has emerged as the favourite to replace Paul McGregor as coach of the Dragons ahead of a crucial job interview on Thursday.

The Daily Telegraph reports the former Panthers and Broncos coach is ahead of David Furner and interim coach Dean Young, with the trio to be interviewed by the Dragons board via Zoom.

Roosters assistant coach Craig Fitzgibbon ruled himself out of the running last week.

Young, however, could be asked to stay on as assistant coach with the club viewing him as an ideal candidate for the top job in two or three years time.

While a timeline for the announcement is not yet clear, it is understood the board would like it resolved quickly having already missed out on signing Melbourne Storm forward Christian Welch due to coaching uncertainty.

But while the man known as “Hook” is leading the race, simmering tensions at the embattled club could complicate the process.

Fox League’s Lara Pitt told NRL 360 former club CEO Peter Doust’s return to the board has led has created tension at the club that could impact the head coach decision.

“As I understand it there is a divide in the boardroom between the WIN side and the St George side of the board,” Pitt said.

“That those representing Bruce Gordon’s 50 per cent stake in the club are not happy that Peter Doust has found his way back in a seat on the St George side of the club.

“And this bad blood goes back a long way to when Doust was CEO of the club and he was looking to take games away from (Wollongong) to Kogarah and ANZ Stadium.”

Whoever gets the nod will be faced with turning around the fortunes of the Dragons and will want to be involved in key decisions around the roster.

Million dollar man Ben Hunt has already been linked with a return to the Broncos while the Dragons have reportedly identified a 30-man list of players who are entering the final year of their contracts and could be poached for either 2021 or beyond.

The Dragons are keeping an eye on Broncos forward Joe Ofahengaue, Sea Eagles star Martin Taupau and Cowboys front-rower Jordan McLean.

Sharks prop Aaron Woods, Titans back-rower Jarrod Wallace and Panthers young gun Jack Hetherington are other options.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/d3dc5328f1a021d214e18609a245e1e4

rasaint

Juniors
I will return to my old theme, the coach isn’t as important as many think. Yes of course to a sensible degree granted. They do influence.

It’s the roster the coach has and when clubs get a run of low injury results. I’m no Mary fan but we would have gone close in 2018 but for Gareth Widdop and Tariq Simms sustaining season ending injuries in the big win against Wayne Bennett’s Broncos. Just pipped by Souths in semi thereafter.

My simple evidence for this viewpoint is easily noted by checking records.

Jack Gibson won comps with great rosters at Easts and Eels but tanked with struggling Souths.

Wayne Bennett won with great Broncos teams and our fab 2010 roster but tanked with Newcastle who had ordinary roster.

Craig Bellamy is rusted on at Melbourne with the long term rich reported high 3rd party deals keeping the champion players in his roster. Good luck to him ‘why move’.

Nathan Brown almost got us to the grand final 2005, we had a strong roster, but tanked with Newcastle when he inherited a poor roster after Wayne left.

Ricky Stuart has won a comp with Easts but tanked with other struggling clubs. He has been good with Raiders where strong recruitment has seen a grand final last year.

I could go on Ivan Cleary is a world beater now after unremarkable results with Panthers for years, unremarkable with Tigers but back at Panthers with strong team..happy days. Brian Smith went close quite a few times but always fell short at the final hurdle for us, Easts and Eels.

‘Hook’ Griffin almost a Grand Final back in 2012? but Locky got busted for the final push for glory. Had Panthers going well before pushed out just before semis in 2018 ? I recall.

Our future success is whether we can re establish a strong roster and have an sensible and knowledgeable coach.

For clarity all Coaches mentioned above are good, some like Gibson, Bennett and Bellamy considered great, but having a great roster is a big part of the pie.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
There are a couple of interesting side notes to all this coaching circus.

3 finalists, Young, Griffin and Furner + hoping to re-sign Flanno. And what of Shepherd?

Mmmm, now how would that work?

Also, imo, Head wont be around as CC coach next year.

Dragon David

First Grade
I will return to my old theme, the coach isn’t as important as many think. Yes of course to a sensible degree granted. They do influence.

It’s the roster the coach has and when clubs get a run of low injury results. I’m no Mary fan but we would have gone close in 2018 but for Gareth Widdop and Tariq Simms sustaining season ending injuries in the big win against Wayne Bennett’s Broncos. Just pipped by Souths in semi thereafter.

My simple evidence for this viewpoint is easily noted by checking records.

Jack Gibson won comps with great rosters at Easts and Eels but tanked with struggling Souths.

Wayne Bennett won with great Broncos teams and our fab 2010 roster but tanked with Newcastle who had ordinary roster.

Craig Bellamy is rusted on at Melbourne with the long term rich reported high 3rd party deals keeping the champion players in his roster. Good luck to him ‘why move’.

Nathan Brown almost got us to the grand final 2005, we had a strong roster, but tanked with Newcastle when he inherited a poor roster after Wayne left.

Ricky Stuart has won a comp with Easts but tanked with other struggling clubs. He has been good with Raiders where strong recruitment has seen a grand final last year.

I could go on Ivan Cleary is a world beater now after unremarkable results with Panthers for years, unremarkable with Tigers but back at Panthers with strong team..happy days. Brian Smith went close quite a few times but always fell short at the final hurdle for us, Easts and Eels.

‘Hook’ Griffin almost a Grand Final back in 2012? but Locky got busted for the final push for glory. Had Panthers going well before pushed out just before semis in 2018 ? I recall.

Our future success is whether we can re establish a strong roster and have an sensible and knowledgeable coach.

For clarity all Coaches mentioned above are good, some like Gibson, Bennett and Bellamy considered great, but having a great roster is a big part of the pie.
Yes indeed. That is it in a nutshell and covered well. Unfortunately there are not too many quality guys available and those that we might be going for that are not journeymen reject us or we are their last resort.

Our younger guys who are already in the Dragons system and I am sure rearing to go are our hope for the future. We really just need good quality props. Our backs with experience and proper coaching will be great.

Latest posts