What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dear Ryan Webb, CEO St. George-Illawarra Dragons...

Dragsters

First Grade
Could you please enlighten us Dragons faithful as to why the most credentialled coach available, Shaun Wane, the only one that realistically ticks all of your criteria, and some, appears absent from all touted lists of potential Dragons coaching candidates?

Thanks in advance.

Dragons Faithful...

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
It’s right about now I wish I could create a Ryan Webb forum account and have some fun..

Dragsters

First Grade
Has he expressed an interesting taking on the role?

He has expressed a desire to coach in the NRL and was asked in a podcast late last year of he like would coach the Dragons should it become available to which he said yes.

The our club procrastinated for so long that other clubs roles became available and he applied.

Rumour has it he didn't make it past the first interview stage with us, which is difficult to believe when you look at who supposedly did.

Hence the letter...

mbk78

Juniors
Could you please enlighten us Dragons faithful as to why the most credentialled coach available, Shaun Wane, the only one that realistically ticks all of your criteria, and some, appears absent from all touted lists of potential Dragons coaching candidates?

Thanks in advance.

Dragons Faithful...
Webby's reply: "Who is this Shane Warne you speak of?"

Dragon Revival

Juniors
We should have a coach selected by mid-September, 2020 so that all existing and potential players know who will be in charge.
The Warriors and Cowboys have coaches in place but the Dragons and Broncos procrastinate and look totally disorganised.

thebigredv

First Grade
Way things are going we won't need a coach much longer. Soon the cost cutting measures talk will turn to mergers and our pathetic board will probably roll over and have us become the Sharks without a fight.

I have very little faith this lot right now. The gap on and off the field between us and the likes of the Roosters or Storm is colossal. Our image has been so badly trodden on and soiled that no one wants to come near the joint.

getsmarty

Immortal
3ae7a9aa8e4a0a2b2697ccb2fcac3b62.jpg

DRAGONS

Dragons issue apology to Blacklock over racism at club
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Sun 6 Sep 2020, 05:30 PM

Dragons chief executive Ryan Webb has apologised unreservedly to Nathan Blacklock and any other Indigenous player who may have been subjected to racism during their time at the club.

St George Illawarra issued a statement on Sunday afternoon after the former winger, in a Sydney Morning Herald report, said he experienced racism.

Blacklock said there was an unnamed "element" at the club which made racist remarks about his friend, former Dally M winner Preston Campbell.

"The reason I lost my passion for the Dragons and left the club was because of racism. It came from the worst place possible – within our team environment ... That was like a dagger to my heart. I kept that pain to myself," Blacklock, a fan favourite and former Kangaroos representative, told the SMH.

Webb said the Dragons were saddened to read Blacklock's story.

blacklockn-99263.jpg

Dragons winger Nathan Blacklock celebrates his spectacular try in the first half of the 1999 grand final. :copyright:NRL Photos
"Racism has no place in society, in rugby league and certainly not at the St George Illawarra Dragons," Webb said.

"Everyone at the club were saddened to read over the weekend that racism played a contributing role in Nathan's departure from the club in the early 2000s, and commend his bravery in speaking out.

"We have come a long way as a club with addressing matters pertinent to not only players of indigenous background but across all cultures.

"We presented our inaugural Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP) in 2017 and are currently reviewing the production of our second RAP which is due to be released in November.

"Respect, inclusion and commitment are core keystones of the Dragons as a whole; our RAP is one of a number of resources and programs the club are committed to in our continual efforts to help close the gap.

"With a commitment to reconciliation, the club will continue to uphold these values in taking a stance against racism.

"The club respects the unique position of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the first peoples of our nation, and appreciate the contribution they have and continue to make to our country, our community, to our sport and to the Dragons."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/06/dragons-issue-apology-to-blacklock-over-racism-at-club/