What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Board Split

Warabrook saint

Juniors
Board issues? Not a new thing.
Happened at West’s, Manly, Parra, Sharks, Penrith, Bulldogs and now Broncos. Some of these boards have bordered on the dysfunctional, even with their clubs performing on the field. Even while winning comps in Manly’s case. Board ructions and Rugby League go hand-in-hand. The JV haters can bleat all they like but the fact remains, Saints and the Steelers need each other. None of this matters when the team is performing solidly. Let’s get back to what’s important, sign a proven coach who can transform them on the field like Wayne Bennett did. There were few complaints about boardroom bs when we were winning minor and major premierships. Tensions will always be there. They look like insurmountable schisms when you finish 15th or 11th but tend to fade into the background when you are consistently winning.
Incompetence and small mindedness will be the ruin of our club

hazzbeen

Bench
I reckon that's exactly what's happening.

Lara Pitt eluded to the fact that the Steelers are worried about him becoming Chairman of the board next year when it St Georges turn to take the role...
Thats , where this mess starts from , So its St Georges turn next year to call the shots , then the following year , Illawarra"s turn ..... This sounds like me and the Misses we cant agree on anything ....

Old Timer

Coach
My experience with BOD's with good governance is that despite all the argument within the board room walls all decisions announced outside those walls are unanimous.

All good BOD's normally have an "independent director" who is there to ultimately counsel any parts of the board with vested interests as to what the best outcome is for the "share holder" and to ensure "no bias" is evident in the final decision.

Whilst the above is ideal it doesn't stop BOD's being diametrically opposed on given issues but it should ensure that all members get behind the final decision regardless of personal feelings.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I’ll give you a tip sunshine, Illawarra brought zero success to this marriage. Time for a divorce :wave_tone1::wave_tone1:
I see..

Hey, can you help a brother out, I was looking at the records between 1982-1998 when the Steelers were around, but I couldn’t see St George listed anywhere..

What success did they have in that period?

hazzbeen

Bench
I see..

Hey, can you help a brother out, I was looking at the records between 1982-1998 when the Steelers were around, but I couldn’t see St George listed anywhere..

WE are all starting to sound like the Board , Its no ones fault its just been bad management from both sides .....

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I see..

You're not looking hard enough.

Minor premiers 1985, Panasonic cup winners 1988, Grand final appearances 1985/1992/1993/1996, club championship 1985, reserve grade grand final winners 1985.

Old Timer

Coach
I see..c

It all depends what you consider to be success.

If making it to the end of season playoffs is a measure then 44% success rate is not as bad as others.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
You can talk ownership and you can talk who is in charge of the JV.
Illawarra should not be in charge of the running of the club with their track record and limited history.
They should be ecstatic that they got their name included on the emblem.
So Illawarra are “in charge” of the club yet only have their name in the emblem?

This doesn’t make sense.

Whose song do they sing after a win???

What a bizarre way to try and show “ownership”

The team actually sing St Kilda’s team song.

Which evidently refers to the apocalypse & end of times.

But hey, “give em a taste of steel” was a crap song anyway.

Secondly, Illawarra were definites to be booted. They had no future alternative except the JV.
St.George were under pressure to merge with Roosters or to move interstate but that was by no means definite.
They should have risked going it alone. Even in the worst case, a better outcome than the sad state the club has been dragged down to by this ungratefull mob from the south.
But they weren’t.

Both clubs were at risk, both weren’t meeting NRL criteria.

Both need the other, and it’s only short sighted former st George fans who blame the Illawarra bogeyman for the failings that have occurred since 1980.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
You're not looking hard enough.

Minor premiers 1985, Panasonic cup winners 1988, Grand final appearances 1985/1992/1993/1996, club championship 1985, reserve grade grand final winners 1985.
So from a first grade perspective they won a mid-week comp?

That’s on par with the Steelers pre-season cup.

Which makes both clubs as successful as each other so far.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
It all depends what you consider to be success.

If making it to the end of season playoffs is a measure then 44% success rate is not as bad as others.
I call success winning the premiership.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
We all do muzby , but to win a premiership a team requires a success oriented and professional board of directors . Alas the two basic building blocks that the St.George Illawarra Dragons have never had .
I agree wholeheartedly..

The issue isn’t one side or the other, it’s both..

Hopefully one day soon the finger pointing at all levels stops & everyone focuses on achieving success rather than protecting their own backyard.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I think I remember losing a few GFs at least
They’re losses though.

Success would be winning them.

We made the GF in 99 but I don’t consider that a success for the JV.