What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sime_11

Juniors
I think we've got the leadership group in place to succeed Tamou leaving if he doesn't get a new deal - Fish & Yeo are our spiritual leaders and toilers, and Capewell/Tetevano bring underrated leadership as well IMO.

id rather we keep bringing youth/ clubman already here into our squad - they get the culture here already and the coaching staff will know how to play them.

what is Lindsay Smith's playing style as a prop? Toiler or impact player?

I feel we have a good variety of forwards (all types) that offer impact or toiler type ability - we do have a really balanced squad, considering the salaries of RCG/blake etc - this gives us time to sort out who we need to seal long term, especially with 2022 coming if that's going to be our problem year for retaining players.

soc123_au

Staff member
@Jane Murray thanks for posting that. That was the real "5 year plan" from Gus.

It's interesting to see that most of the clubs having a good year are toward the top of the list. The obvious anomalies Brisbane & Parra. Melbourne have been consistently good in that area, and as unpopular as the opinion is, I thought they were hard done by in the salary cap saga. They have never been a "poaching" club, they develop great players. We are coming to a time soon when we will be in the same boat as them trying to retain everyone. Hopefully we are as good as they have been since they were caught in knowing who to keep & who to let go.

Roosters numbers are also impressive, we all give it to them regarding the sombrero, but they are gun developers as well. They also manage to sign marquees at will when they identify a gap in the squad. It's just smart business.

Parra & Knights are very disappointing. For a clubs with a good source of kids that is disgraceful.

Someone should share this with Phil Slothfield, since it was him that couldn’t comprehend this.

Ben Ikin and Paul Kent went on record during an episode of NRL360 a couple of years ago and said that they scoured every media piece concerning the so-called 5 year plan and they could not find one piece of evidence that suggests that Gould has said that the 5-year plan was to win the premiership. Slothfield, to my knowledge, has not commented or responded since

soc123_au

Staff member
Someone should share this with Phil Slothfield, since it was him that couldn’t comprehend this.

Ben Ikin and Paul Kent went on record during an episode of NRL360 a couple of years ago and said that they scoured every media piece concerning the so-called 5 year plan and they could not find one piece of evidence that suggests that Gould has said that the 5-year plan was to win the premiership. Slothfield, to my knowledge, has not commented or responded since

I've heard Slothfield bang on about it since then, he is just a sad drunk. I dont know how he keeps getting air time. Fatima Kdouh on the other hand seems an actual journo & not just a gossip columnist. I dont buy the Telegraph, so I've only seen a few of her articles, but the ones I have seen are pretty good. Much much more pleasing to the eyes than Slothfield too.

Jane Murray

Bench

It's interesting to see that most of the clubs having a good year are toward the top of the list. The obvious anomalies Brisbane & Parra. Melbourne have been consistently good in that area, and as unpopular as the opinion is, I thought they were hard done by in the salary cap saga. They have never been a "poaching" club, they develop great players. We are coming to a time soon when we will be in the same boat as them trying to retain everyone. Hopefully we are as good as they have been since they were caught in knowing who to keep & who to let go.

Roosters numbers are also impressive, we all give it to them regarding the sombrero, but they are gun developers as well. They also manage to sign marquees at will when they identify a gap in the squad. It's just smart business.

Parra & Knights are very disappointing. For a clubs with a good source of kids that is disgraceful.

So the article showed? I am shocked. I had to down load it, and uploaded it that way. No worries.

Jane Murray

Bench

I would, if I could.

Pomoz

Bench

I think that is down to where both clubs got to with financial issues, salary cap issues and unstable administration. You can't develop juniors if your front office is broken and you have mismanaged your salary cap.

If we did this survey two years after Gus got here, we would have been near the bottom as well because Gus had to sign a whole bunch of journeyman to keep the club competitive. It takes at least five years for junior development to yield results, longer if your pathways don't have much talent in it when you start.

When I say "yield results" I mean produce first graders that improve the club. Debutants need 50 games before they are a true first grader, that alone takes a minimum three years. It took JFH and Yeo three years. If you get a few injuries it can take longer, Dylan Edwards, for example, debuted in 2016 and he has only just played 53 games in the last four years.

To keep this working, even if they continue to spot good talent, in fact that's a given, the club has to continue to make sure the pathways are in place (recruitment, physical training etc.), they invest in good coaching through the grades and don't rush players, it rarely ends well. You then have to couple that with good salary cap management and then maybe, just maybe you can keep the talent coming through.

Jane Murray

Bench
I think that is down to where both clubs got to with financial issues, salary cap issues and unstable administration. You can't develop juniors if your front office is broken and you have mismanaged your salary cap.

If we did this survey two years after Gus got here, we would have been near the bottom as well because Gus had to sign a whole bunch of journeyman to keep the club competitive. It takes at least five years for junior development to yield results, longer if your pathways don't have much talent in it when you start.

When I say "yield results" I mean produce first graders that improve the club. Debutants need 50 games before they are a true first grader, that alone takes a minimum three years. It took JFH and Yeo three years. If you get a few injuries it can take longer, Dylan Edwards, for example, debuted in 2016 and he has only just played 53 games in the last four years.

To keep this working, even if they continue to spot good talent, in fact that's a given, the club has to continue to make sure the pathways are in place (recruitment, physical training etc.), they invest in good coaching through the grades and don't rush players, it rarely ends well. You then have to couple that with good salary cap management and then maybe, just maybe you can keep the talent coming through.

All the players who debuted under Ivan, has been NRL ready.

It will be a sad day when Josh either retires or leaves the club. If he is leaving lets send him out in STYLE!!!

If we win the big one this year, then I say Josh will leave.

betcats

Referee
Sauce has been a great servant for us, all the nostalgia around his 150th game changed my mind in regards to dropping him this year, he deserves to see out the season, he is playing well enough. I cant see him keeping Staines out of the side next season. Couldnt blame Sauce for looking for a bit of security at this stage of his career.

mxlegend99

Referee
Sauce has been a great servant for us, all the nostalgia around his 150th game changed my mind in regards to dropping him this year, he deserves to see out the season, he is playing well enough. I cant see him keeping Staines out of the side next season. Couldnt blame Sauce for looking for a bit of security at this stage of his career.
I cant believe he's only 30. Feels like he has been in our team forever and that his form has eased off due to age aswell as injury.

But if not for his ACL injury he would probably still be at his peak today... And likely never have had his face smashed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts