What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Coach 2021 and Beyond

Who do you want to see as Dragons coach?

• Total voters

thebigredv

First Grade
yeah, blame it on poor Cluny :joy:

huge value for money, and will come into his own I reckon. Definitely deserves his spot, though I’d like to see more of Sailor too...

What am I blaming on Clune? Watching him and Dearden from Brisbane there is no doubt potential there in both cases. Both of them have been embarrassed in defence multiple times and Lam from Roosters for instance completely shut down Adam in a game we needed him to stand up.

He needs a coach to come in and improve his game and coach him into games and not be coached out of them. His opinion on coach is not worth much given our current circumstances.

possm

Coach
What am I blaming on Clune? Watching him and Dearden from Brisbane there is no doubt potential there in both cases. Both of them have been embarrassed in defence multiple times and Lam from Roosters for instance completely shut down Adam in a game we needed him to stand up.

He needs a coach to come in and improve his game and coach him into games and not be coached out of them. His opinion on coach is not worth much given our current circumstances.
Clune has been fed limited opportunity buy first McInnes at dummy half and then Hunt. From what I see, Hunt is comfortable at half where he can switch off when things get to hot but at hooker, the heat is always on and the task is much rougher. So by making Clune look ordinary, Hunt hopes to get his 7 jumper back again.

From my point of view, Clune is doing a fine job but could do a lot better under a good coach. Sadly, he is already losing confidence and clinging to Young is the first sign that he will not make the 7 jumper his own unless Wane or Griffin are appointed head coach.

Dea

Juniors
After the clubs experiences with Price and McGregor, I really hope they step away from Dean Young. According to a few players, who should not be making comments about coach selection, he may have done a good job in the lower grades but his experiences of strategies, game plans, management of players, recruitment, etc. is all in a losing environment with the Dragons, who, by their own admission, do not have a winning culture, identity or direction. Young’s model for coaching is McGregor and we do not need more of the same.
Send him off elsewhere to gain some experience. As the saying goes, if you love a bird, set It free. If it loves you, it will return, if not, it will fly back and poop in your eye!

The calm one

Juniors
After the clubs experiences with Price and McGregor, I really hope they step away from Dean Young. According to a few players, who should not be making comments about coach selection, he may have done a good job in the lower grades but his experiences of strategies, game plans, management of players, recruitment, etc. is all in a losing environment with the Dragons, who, by their own admission, do not have a winning culture, identity or direction. Young’s model for coaching is McGregor and we do not need more of the same.
Send him off elsewhere to gain some experience. As the saying goes, if you love a bird, set It free. If it loves you, it will return, if not, it will fly back and poop in your eye!
Uncle Wayne

Maddragon99

Juniors
Clune has been fed limited opportunity buy first McInnes at dummy half and then Hunt. From what I see, Hunt is comfortable at half where he can switch off when things get to hot but at hooker, the heat is always on and the task is much rougher. So by making Clune look ordinary, Hunt hopes to get his 7 jumper back again.

From my point of view, Clune is doing a fine job but could do a lot better under a good coach. Sadly, he is already losing confidence and clinging to Young is the first sign that he will not make the 7 jumper his own unless Wane or Griffin are appointed head coach.

Norman demands a lot of the ball which doesn’t help. I hope whoever our coach is has the guts to bench Norman next year like Reynolds was at the Tigers.

Inisai Toga

Juniors

So it’s Hunt that’s deliberately making Clune look ordinary? Sorry, can’t buy that one old mate. I appreciate the line of thought that some commentators have suggested that Ben Hunt is a more effective Hooker than half because he is a more of an instinct player that an organiser type thinker, but trying to make Clune look bad to get his more cosy position, I find that hard to swallow.
I didn’t see Hunt miss the tackle on the Brisbane centre Staggs or drop the pill over the line last week against the Gold Coast.....or.....miss Lam...

I’m gunning for Clune, and really feel he could be part of the team, but suggesting the reason for poor performances is due to others is a bit hard to swallow irrespective of the coach.

This is first grade and they’re the cards you get; some make it some don’t; hope he does.

Last edited:

RedVDave

First Grade
Griffin did a great job of rebuilding the Broncos and Panthers he seems a very good rebuilding coach the only worry I have is he's falling out with the players. But he's probably one of the better coaches available ...I can't believe I'm excited about a coach that knows how to use the f'n bench properly.

TruSaint

Referee
Griffin did a great job of rebuilding the Broncos and Panthers he seems a very good rebuilding coach the only worry I have is he's falling out with the players. But he's probably one of the better coaches available ...I can't believe I'm excited about a coach that knows how to use the f'n bench properly.

Lets be clear here.
A lot of rumours about falling out with players, but very little substantiated.

He did have a fallout with the muppet Gould ( who also sacked Cleary only now to rehire him ), and he had a fallout with the Broncos board ( easy done when Wayne wants to come back ).

Those fallous were public.

If he's tough on players, well thats great. Kit gloves and all that hasnt worked for us.

Last edited:

Coffs dragon

Bench
Some media, in particular Andrew Webster, aren’t holding back and seem to be giving it to Griffin with underlying agendas.
My understanding is Gus Gould and Griffin had a massive falling out, mainly because he was not a puppet to Gould’s power trip.
I also believe Matt Moylan was not a fan, hence his departure to the Sharks. He’s gone on to prove he was an overpriced & overrated flop of a player. Points to Griffin.

We need some tough & honest decision making at the Dragons.....the kind Griffin is noted for. It’s not a popularity contest and he doesn’t have to be one of the boys drinking buddies like the ex Peanut!

RedVDave

First Grade
He might be getting negative press because the media hates us always has. Griffin is the right choice they know it and just want any excuse to slander us where possible or to try prevent or from happening.....merkins.

denis preston

First Grade
St George Illawarra powerbrokers aren't putting a timeframe on appointing a new coach and have not ruled out sounding out additional applicants after completing their first round of interviews.

The Dragons board interviewed Dean Young, Anthony Griffin and David Furner on Thursday and will reconvene next week to discuss the next steps. With four games to go - the Red V are out of the finals race following last week's loss to Gold Coast - a decision is expected shortly on Paul McGregor's replacement.

Hope this is correct as there is still some hope for Wane ?

TruSaint

Referee
Griffin copped another scathing article about him, this time on foxsports. I really don't understand the media agenda against him at the moment. Has David furner got friends in the media?

Yeah, its getting so transparent now.

He's not one of the boys. He called out Gus years ago, and Gus drives a lot of the agenda, albeit different outlets.

Unlike Cleary who left Penrith first time tamely, Hook didnt.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
If what Denis Preston posted is true and our BOD are back to dragging their feet, this is a very bad sign.

I thought Webb had already said a coaching decision was imminent but now the media are saying they've just finished the 'first round of interviews?'

Are they giving Deano another chance to cash in on our soft draw so they can appoint him on a whim and have a whole plethora of excuses.

I really hope this is fake news.

[/QUOTE]

hewi

Bench
St George Illawarra powerbrokers aren't putting a timeframe on appointing a new coach and have not ruled out sounding out additional applicants after completing their first round of interviews.

The Dragons board interviewed Dean Young, Anthony Griffin and David Furner on Thursday and will reconvene next week to discuss the next steps. With four games to go - the Red V are out of the finals race following last week's loss to Gold Coast - a decision is expected shortly on Paul McGregor's replacement.

Hope this is correct as there is still some hope for Wane ?

I would like to think that just possibly the board have thought you know what none of these three are very good who else is there