What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Board Split

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
As a previous poster pointed out, the Boards of most NRL clubs have experienced or currently experience factionalism. The Bulldogs with seven Directors are reported to have three active factions among those seven and they are always at one anothers throats.

However, there is openness and a semblance of democracy. Google the Bulldogs Board of Directors and up comes a photograph of the seven Directors and who is what on the Board. They hold elections every two years so at least members can pass judgement on their performance.

Good luck getting similar information about the SGI Board. There seems to be an obsession with secrecy. There is an urgent need for a new more democratic Board constitution to allow for at least one Director to be directly appointed by members. This club will simply not survive unless its members feel that the Board is more accountable and open to scrutiny- particularly given the rampant nepotism underpinning past appointments.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I get your point but 20yrs & one Premiership of the JV doesn’t compare to the 100yrs (next year) of the Red V

the Steelers were always a proud gutsy team but they didn’t bring any history of success to the JV.

4 out of the 10 immortals are Dragons

it’s only right that the St George side of the board should carry greater influence.
Whilst I get the sentiment of what you’re saying, you’re talking about a team that was around 60 years ago - more than half the time that the dragons have been in the competition.

So much has changed since then.

And let’s face it, would you really trust the current STG management to drive the club into the future?

Change is needed on both sides.

Gareth67

First Grade
As a previous poster pointed out, the Boards of most NRL clubs have experienced or currently experience factionalism. The Bulldogs with seven Directors are reported to have three active factions among those seven and they are always at one anothers throats.

However, there is openness and a semblance of democracy. Google the Bulldogs Board of Directors and up comes a photograph of the seven Directors and who is what on the Board. They hold elections every two years so at least members can pass judgement on their performance.

Good luck getting similar information about the SGI Board. There seems to be an obsession with secrecy. There is an urgent need for a new more democratic Board constitution to allow for at least one Director to be directly appointed by members. This club will simply not survive unless its members feel that the Board is more accountable and open to scrutiny- particularly given the rampant nepotism underpinning past appointments.

Good post red&white4ever , that’s it in a nutshell , the members must have their say .

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
I completely agree..

But the past achievements form part of the fabric of the club as it stands now.

But the view of some that jettisoning half the club will automatically bring more success is misguided.

What we should be doing is leveraging the history to inspire the future, rather than blaming one half for the failure of both.

yeah you’re right. I think many people are frustrated because there were 2 teams that merged which you’d think would make a super club. The truth is, we’re worse off. So many ex Illawarra and ex St George supporters are left wondering what was the point in merging when it hasn’t proven to be successful.

Mjab

Juniors
We should have been a super club and were in 99
Its not the concept or merger that is the problem its the dumbFks that each side has put forward on BOD, incompetent and unskilled numbskulls trying to run a multimillion dollar "business" when they arent even capable of running a meat raffle. Fat Albert was a great player and club legend , it doesnt mean he ever should have been made head coach (worst record ever I think), the made Recruitment Manager ( worst ever ) then BOD (cause hes a good bloke ). Snouts in the trough, only thinking of their self interest and delusional and lacking insight, just like Mary was as a coach. No one with any insight or intelligence could say that our BODs have or are doing a good job, but they continue on.
Hopefully Webb can slowly turn the ship around

Inisai Toga

Juniors
It’s tricky Mjab because the board actually employ him. The best he could do is ‘manage’ it as turning it around would be difficult, due to the power his position doesn’t have.

I don’t think it falls into a simple dichotomy where it’s either the St George or Illawarra side blah, blah blah. Football club boards everywhere are problematic!

Hopefully he’s good facilitator that can break up and challenge any ‘groupthink’ that may be thwarting the joint venture’s progress.

Mjab

Juniors
It’s tricky Mjab because the board actually employ him. The best he could do is ‘manage’ it as turning it around would be difficult, due to the power his position doesn’t have.

I don’t think it falls into a simple dichotomy where it’s either the St George or Illawarra side blah, blah blah. Football club boards everywhere are problematic!

Hopefully he’s good facilitator that can break up and challenge any ‘groupthink’ that may be thwarting the joint venture’s progress.
I know

but hopefully he can make more sensible suggestions and guide some of their choices/votes in a better direction

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
We should have been a super club and were in 99
Its not the concept or merger that is the problem its the dumbFks that each side has put forward on BOD, incompetent and unskilled numbskulls trying to run a multimillion dollar "business" when they arent even capable of running a meat raffle. Fat Albert was a great player and club legend , it doesnt mean he ever should have been made head coach (worst record ever I think), the made Recruitment Manager ( worst ever ) then BOD (cause hes a good bloke ). Snouts in the trough, only thinking of their self interest and delusional and lacking insight, just like Mary was as a coach. No one with any insight or intelligence could say that our BODs have or are doing a good job, but they continue on.
Hopefully Webb can slowly turn the ship around
Spot on mate.

possm

Coach
I know

but hopefully he can make more sensible suggestions and guide some of their choices/votes in a better direction
The Board chose the wrong partner to run with purely our of the self-interests of Board members. It is now time for:
  1. WIN to give up their shares to St George.
  2. St George to restructure its Board of the football club in a way that paid up members vote in Board members each year.
  3. St George then go out and find a new partner to join with them to advance the idea of lifting the Saints out of the doldrums into one of the top four NRL Clubs in the competition.
  4. St George Leagues Club to purchase Illawarra Leagues Club and all of the junior leagues clubs in the St George and Illawarra district in an effort to set up a professional and logical pathway for junior players.
  5. Illawarra Leagues club to, on-behalf of St George Leauges club to manage junior league and local league competitions in their district with an eye to develop players for consideration to represent players in the St George NRL team.
  6. Consideration should also be given to the idea of St George and their new partner, purchasing Cronulla Leages Club and Football Club to perform a similia role to that of the Illawarra Club.

denis preston

First Grade
The Board chose the wrong partner to run with purely our of the self-interests of Board members. It is now time for:
  1. WIN to give up their shares to St George.
  2. St George to restructure its Board of the football club in a way that paid up members vote in Board members each year.
  3. St George then go out and find a new partner to join with them to advance the idea of lifting the Saints out of the doldrums into one of the top four NRL Clubs in the competition.
  4. St George Leagues Club to purchase Illawarra Leagues Club and all of the junior leagues clubs in the St George and Illawarra district in an effort to set up a professional and logical pathway for junior players.
  5. Illawarra Leagues club to, on-behalf of St George Leauges club to manage junior league and local league competitions in their district with an eye to develop players for consideration to represent players in the St George NRL team.
  6. Consideration should also be given to the idea of St George and their new partner, purchasing Cronulla Leages Club and Football Club to perform a similia role to that of the Illawarra Club.
Wow, first of all elections every year will prohibit forward thinking and the NRL will not let us do all of this.Remember a couple of years back Dragons offered to pay off the Illawarra debt and run the club as one board ( all St George leagues club directors , i assume )

possm

Coach
Wow, first of all elections every year will prohibit forward thinking and the NRL will not let us do all of this.Remember a couple of years back Dragons offered to pay off the Illawarra debt and run the club as one board ( all St George leagues club directors , i assume )
Yes but today, there is so much evidence that the NRL's joint venture vision is a failed policy and that we only lasted this long because of our superior history.

I'd say that the NRL do not have a leg to stand on if St George sort to legally challenge such any decision to stop us unifying the governance of the Club.

I would ask just the following questions:

• Out of all the joint ventures that the ARL/NRL proposed and later encouraged to form, how many are 'super clubs' today? West Tigers are a mess, SGI are a mess, and Manly/Norths only lasted a few months before dropping the whole idea.
  • If Manly are allowed to drop the joint venture thing, why can't we move forward with or without a partner? We are in a good financial position with no debt and the nature of current circumstances is that we have to manage our affairs with a split board which does not subscribe to any form of accountability.
  • If Souths proved to not be viable, why were they not forced to be in a joint venture with Eastern Suburbs? As it turned out, Souths were allowed back into the competition without being forced to form a joint venture with Easts.

Draginzaaar

Bench
Yes but today, there is so much evidence that the NRL's joint venture vision is a failed policy and that we only lasted this long because of our superior history.

I'd say that the NRL do not have a leg to stand on if St George sort to legally challenge such any decision to stop us unifying the governance of the Club.

I would ask just the following questions:

• Out of all the joint ventures that the ARL/NRL proposed and later encouraged to form, how many are 'super clubs' today? West Tigers are a mess, SGI are a mess, and Manly/Norths only lasted a few months before dropping the whole idea.
  • If Manly are allowed to drop the joint venture thing, why can't we move forward with or without a partner? We are in a good financial position with no debt and the nature of current circumstances is that we have to manage our affairs with a split board which does not subscribe to any form of accountability.
  • If Souths proved to not be viable, why were they not forced to be in a joint venture with Eastern Suburbs? As it turned out, Souths were allowed back into the competition without being forced to form a joint venture with Easts.

Manly held the NRL license for the Northern Eagles, that's why.

SEAT 1A

Bench
A robust board is a good thing, as minds can be changed,

The boards differences have been highlighted due to the performance of the team over the years the board is unable to come together to solve those differences, in my view is to have a successful club.

Now as a supporter I can see the result of those differences on the team. Difficulty in signing players and a coach.

The directors can continue to have there "differences" however, the house is now burning down around them.

Dragon David

First Grade
NRL Economist: Souths’ masterplan to help guarantee top-four spot every season
RABBITOHS

Unlike some other boards, South Sydney’s front office is built on trust and confidence in each other.

It makes them stable.

That is why this boardroom is magnificent.

There is an article on Foxsports news written byThe NRL economist Ramy Haidar.

Souths looking at their future to keep the club in the top end of the ladder for years.

Worth a read guys.

Why isn't our club doing something like this instead of going backwards every year?

Warabrook saint

Juniors
NRL Economist: Souths’ masterplan to help guarantee top-four spot every season
RABBITOHS

Unlike some other boards, South Sydney’s front office is built on trust and confidence in each other.

It makes them stable.

That is why this boardroom is magnificent.

There is an article on Foxsports news written byThe NRL economist Ramy Haidar.

Souths looking at their future to keep the club in the top end of the ladder for years.

Worth a read guys.

Why isn't our club doing something like this instead of going backwards every year?
Too many vested interests

VodkaSaint

Juniors
what pisses me off and I cant think anything otherwise.
The Steelers Board may think they are too good for us now that Gordon is behind them , they have the money and the Juniors, what do we have?
Im truly hoping we are not left in the dark

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
what pisses me off and I cant think anything otherwise.
The Steelers Board may think they are too good for us now that Gordon is behind them , they have the money and the Juniors, what do we have?
Im truly hoping we are not left in the dark
The Steelers board?

There is no Steelers board in the JV.

Methinks the Illawarra bogeyman is playing on your mind.