What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Old dog

Juniors
So no new signing for 5/8 with Hoy being earmarked for position where then does that leave Crossland, not hooker with Brailey, Mann and Watson. Do we keep Lino as backup?

Johns Magic

Referee
We've already got Mann/Watson/hoy/Crossland, and ideally you'd only want two in your best 17

Mann and Watson 100% ain’t halves.

Hoy and Crossland haven’t shown anything at 6 yet. Hopefully they can.

Lino in my eyes should be kept, if he’s willing to. Not a champion, but somewhat proven with a weakness that can hopefully be worked on/with, and importantly the solution to our goalkicking.

I would still love to get Foran. And yes I know his latest pec injury - assume he’ll be back by Round 1 2021.

Johns Magic

Referee
This is the point though. Brailey fit, and those four guys already under contract, not many spots left if the squads are dropped to 28

Disagree.

Between Brailey, Watson, Mann, Pearce, Lino, Hoy, Ponga and Crossland we are fully covered in hooker, halves and fullback across the 28 man squad. Put Toa at fullback as well but primarily he will be in the squad as a winger.

Leaves 20 spots.

8 middle forwards.

4 second-rows.

7 centres/wingers.

And 1 spot extra.

That’s my view at a glance.

Would get Foran in for sure

Old dog

Juniors
Think it’s a case of do we keep/resign Lino or do we get Foran. we have Pearce for another year so if going to win comp it has to be 2021 or back to rebuild so for me it’s Foran or Lino, forget Marshall, too old.
Our previous coach had a fixation with hookers, turn every player into one has our new coach got a fixation with 14, super sub, versatility or whatever, Mann, Crossland, Hoy, Randall etc, have we wasted salary cap signing player with no defined position..
If Pearce goes down injured, long or short term who replaces him, Lino ok, but who then plays 5/8, Mann ok, but who plays 9, Crossland/Randall. We are an injury away from a critical situation that won’t get much better next year.
2021, early days Pearce gets a injury putting him out for 5-8 weeks what is the answer, we have no one capable of playing 7 or 6 and is more serious if injury happens early, round 1-2 and Brailey isn’t ok, Lino gone, no Foran, Mann at 9, Crossland at 7, Hoy at 6, Randall/Watson at 14, is not a good spine.

Knight Vision

First Grade
If Pearce goes down injured, long or short term who replaces him,
2021, early days Pearce gets a injury putting him out for 5-8 weeks what is the answer, we have no one capable of playing 7 or 6
Yep that's the major issue with our squad, very skinny in the critical halves dept.

If the salary cap is too tight to sign a quality half or at least an exciting prospect then we need to jettison some deadwood or go with what we have in Crossland and Hoy ( Mann and Watson are and never will be halves )

If we can get our halves situation sorted we have a squad that can be a serious contender every year and not just making up the numbers come finals time.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Imagine Ponga off the shoulder of a playmaker who takes it to the line hard.

Minimum wage is obviously a piss-take. But we could get him on big unders right now.
I agree a good 5/8 would unlock our attack, but how much is Foran actually worth right now? His body is failing him unfortunately.

Yosh

Coach
We don't have the best of luck on the injury front so I would have to pass on Foran as well. Would love a fit and firing Foran/Pearce combination but it'll be 2 or 3 weeks max before Foran goes down.

Loose Cannon

Bench
The dude is only 20.....give him another year in nsw cup and groom him to replace Pearce in 2022
This is what I think is the natural succession plan.

If Hoy is slotted for 6 next year, than Crossland has to be groomed for 7 once Pearce is finished.

That leaves an interesting take on Lino’s retention. Personally, I think he could contribute handily to Crossland’s development in reserves, whilst also the two of them being adequate injury cover in the halves.

Lino should be offerred a deal for next year IMO. We have enough money tied up in Pearce, to accommodate a Foran.

Foran scenario would mean Crossland and Hoy in second grade, probably throwing both in the deep end come 2022, and likely not doing either any favours.

Brailey/ Watson/ Mann to stay in the 9/14 role. Whoever misses out plays 9 in reggies, (also Randall, pending retention).

God forbid Ponga goes down for a couple of weeks, plenty of options re short term fill in, long term might require a shuffle.

Knight Vision

First Grade
This is what I think is the natural succession plan.

If Hoy is slotted for 6 next year, than Crossland has to be groomed for 7 once Pearce is finished.

That leaves an interesting take on Lino’s retention. Personally, I think he could contribute handily to Crossland’s development in reserves, whilst also the two of them being adequate injury cover in the halves.

Lino should be offerred a deal for next year IMO. We have enough money tied up in Pearce, to accommodate a Foran.

Foran scenario would mean Crossland and Hoy in second grade, probably throwing both in the deep end come 2022, and likely not doing either any favours.

Brailey/ Watson/ Mann to stay in the 9/14 role. Whoever misses out plays 9 in reggies, (also Randall, pending retention).

God forbid Ponga goes down for a couple of weeks, plenty of options re short term fill in, long term might require a shuffle.
I'm thinking you're right.

Crossland has been in the 14 these games because that's what suits the team and limited minutes are good for him at this stage of his career. ...Same with Hoy, AOB hasnt thrown them in the deep end this year.

Coach must think there's enough talent there to work on.

Latest posts