What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"IN WANE WE TRUST" ................ Shaun Wane that is.

Dragsters

First Grade
Finally you are feeling my frustration. There must be something more to it like he has too many conditions attached or a huge asking price?

There has to be something but I'm not sure it's either.

He has openly stated that he would be prepared to take a pay cut to secure an NRL coaching position and prove his worth.

For mine its more likely that it has to do with the fact that he approached the last year when there were murmurs of McGregor getting punted and they knocked him back as they were convinced they had made the right decision extending the supercoach's contract.

Perhaps the board may be too proud or pig-headed or whatever to go back on that decision made last year.

If that is the case, that is a sad state of affairs as lots has changed since that first approach and the club is now in real need of the kind if leadership that Wane can provide, far superior to the reject former NRL coaches and rookies in line to be given that important task...

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
There has to be something but I'm not sure it's either.

He has openly stated that he would be prepared to take a pay cut to secure an NRL coaching position and prove his worth.

For mine its more likely that it has to do with the fact that he approached the last year when there were murmurs of McGregor getting punted and they knocked him back as they were convinced they had made the right decision extending the supercoach's contract.

Perhaps the board may be too proud or pig-headed or whatever to go back on that decision made last year.

If that is the case, that is a sad state of affairs as lots has changed since that first approach and the club is now in real need of the kind if leadership that Wane can provide, far superior to the reject former NRL coaches and rookies in line to be given that important task...
I totally agree and none of my comments on this thread were meant to be arguments against you or Wane. It was more a case of me thinking out aloud as to trying to work out why he is not on our shortlist. Because there bloody well better be a good one. At first I was convinced he wanted to honour his pommy deal, all good I would also. Then maybe he wasn’t interested, again disappointing but understandable. But if it is our doing that’s unforgivable...

Mjab

Juniors
As someone else mentioned the smart move for him is a 1 year assistants job at the chooks or storm and work out the lye of the land in the NRL and then go for a decent club
Which prob excludes Saints

Dragsters

First Grade
I totally agree and none of my comments on this thread were meant to be arguments against you or Wane. It was more a case of me thinking out aloud as to trying to work out why he is not on our shortlist. Because there bloody well better be a good one. At first I was convinced he wanted to honour his pommy deal, all good I would also. Then maybe he wasn’t interested, again disappointing but understandable. But if it is our doing that’s unforgivable...

All good.

Early on I dont think anyone really knew who was or wasn't on the target list or even who had applied for the role.

As time went on it seemed all we were hearing was journos speculation, not that I expected to the club to publicise who they were interviewing as that would be unprofessional but then it became clear that that's exactly what they were doing through certain journos.

It was at this point that I started to get suspicious as to why we weren't hearing Wane's name on these shortists.

Something smells...

St Georgio

Juniors
Have it on good authority that Drags board could not get their head around the time difference for the zoom call therefore put a red pen through Wane...
Really piss poor excuse, I get up every morning at 2am to Follow the US Stock Market, you don't sleep sucking your thumb and expect success!

st.phil

Bench
Really piss poor excuse, I get up every morning at 2am to Follow the US Stock Market, you don't sleep sucking your thumb and expect success!
ha I like the sucking thumb one! I was being sarcastic but I hear you - also - you dumped those TSLA shares yet?

possm

Coach
Forget Griffin, forget Furner, Young not enough experience, Wane is the man that should get the coaching job at the Dragons ASAP.
I would love to see Wane appointed head coach and I would also love it if Wane picked Griffin and Henry to be his assistants. We would have it all and I am sure, we would have a bright future ahead with these 3 as our coaching staff.

Let Young get an assistant job at another club.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I would love to see Wane appointed head coach and I would also love it if Wane picked Griffin and Henry to be his assistants. We would have it all and I am sure, we would have a bright future ahead with these 3 as our coaching staff.

Let Young get an assistant job at another club.
Hey Possm it’s already being reported that if Kevin Walters gets the Broncos Head Coaching role, then his trusted assistant will be Neil Henry.
Our mob are too slow and reactive in all decision making, which is why we are left with the scraps.
I’m sure Wane and Henry didn’t even get a look in or an interview in the Dragons world wide wank excuse of a search for a coach.

possm

Coach
Hey Possm it’s already being reported that if Kevin Walters gets the Broncos Head Coaching role, then his trusted assistant will be Neil Henry.
Our mob are too slow and reactive in all decision making, which is why we are left with the scraps.
I’m sure Wane and Henry didn’t even get a look in or an interview in the Dragons world wide wank excuse of a search for a coach.
You are a good forum member and I always rate your posts highly. On this occasion I can only hope you are wrong because it would be a great shame if either Wane or Griffin was not out head coach.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
If Young is selected it will just be more of the same 'ground hog day all over. Next coach has to be outside the club, Wane would be a good choice. A fresh perspective is desperately needed..
The next coach will be Griffin I would near bet my house on it. At this point and after the coaches we have had in Brown, Mary and possibly Young he doesn't look such a bad option. One thing I know with Hook is he doesn't mind hooking a player. I cant see him putting up with too much Normy before giving Sullivan a run.

Dragsters

First Grade
3 days ago · England coach Shaun Wane has also been linked with the position and could re -enter the equation at the 11th hour after missing ...

3 days ago, The Australian Newspaper ran a story about the Dragons coaching role.

Unfortunately it's behind a paywall and I can't access the full story but was able to copy this all important snippet from a google search.

If true then I hope his management agency SFX are doing their job to the best aid their ability.

If anyone on here has a subscription to the Australian and can post the full article here it would be great to read.

There may be hope yet...

ViceVersa

Juniors
3 days ago · England coach Shaun Wane has also been linked with the position and could re -enter the equation at the 11th hour after missing ...

3 days ago, The Australian Newspaper ran a story about the Dragons coaching role.

Unfortunately it's behind a paywall and I can't access the full story but was able to copy this all important snippet from a google search.

If true then I hope his management agency SFX are doing their job to the best aid their ability.

If anyone on here has a subscription to the Australian and can post the full article here it would be great to read.

There may be hope yet...

Post the link, I'll access it

ViceVersa

Juniors
Found it:

On for Young and old in race for Dragons job

St George Illawarra will conduct final interviews with their coaching candidates on Thursday and the eventual victor can take comfort in the knowledge that Jack de Belin has officially committed his future to the club.

The Warriors conceded defeat in the race to secure de Belin on Monday after he had indicated he would be staying at the Dragons.

Late on Wednesday, the Dragons confirmed that de Belin had informed them of his plans to accept a lucrative contract extension, albeit on the proviso that he is cleared of aggravated sexual assault charges later in the year.

De Belin is due to stand trial in November, having spent more than 18 months on the sidelines after being stood down under the no-fault stand-down policy.

The news comes as the club prepares to conduct crucial interviews with the three coaches short-listed to replace Paul McGregor – interim coach Dean Young, Newcastle assistant David Furner and former Penrith and Brisbane coach Anthony Griffin.

It is understood Young is considered the slight favourite and if he is appointed to the position, he could have his choice of assistants. Current assistant Shane Flanagan is known to be a fan of Young and it is believed he would like to remain part of the staff if Young gets the job. Alternatively, Young has a strong relationship with Griffin and may attempt to keep him at the club as an assistant if he gets pipped to the top job. Griffin is likely to do the reverse if he is successful, retaining Young as one of his assistants.

Furner is keen to move back to Sydney but will interview for the job with the backing of some of the game’s heaviest hitters. The former Canberra coach has been a serial winner throughout his career as an assistant and will front the interview panel with references from some of the game’s most respected and revered figures.

Furner, who has been a sage sounding board for Knights coach Adam O’Brien, will most likely become an assistant to Trent Barrett at Canterbury if he misses the Dragons job. England coach Shaun Wane has also been linked with the position and could re-enter the equation at the 11th hour after missing out on the head coach position at North Queensland – Todd Payten is likely to be announced imminently.

Whoever gets the job will have their fingers crossed that de Belin is able to prove his innocence. The Dragons haven’t been the same side since he was sidelined and he is widely regarded as the most valuable player in their squad because of the impact he has on those around him.

He had hoped to have the charges dropped recently when his legal team was involved in an argument over technical aspects of the case. However, the court has set aside dates in November for the case to be heard and de Belin’s future in the game will hinge on the outcome.

The developments at the Dragons come as one of the key figures in the introduction of the no-fault stand-down policy prepares to be unveiled as the game’s new chief executive.

The NRL is expected to hold a press conference on Thursday to confirm Andrew Abdo as the successor to Todd Greenberg. Abdo, formerly the game’s chief commercial officer, was a key witness for the NRL in their Federal Court case against de Belin. He has done an outstanding job in an interim capacity since taking over from Greenberg and one of his first duties will be to cut a swath through the game’s cost base.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...b/news-story/8b8d1d835be96fcc3ee35d35ed17eb7b

Latest posts