What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Coach 2021 and Beyond

Who do you want to see as Dragons coach?

• Total voters

Mjab

Juniors
Griffin copped another scathing article about him, this time on foxsports. I really don't understand the media agenda against him at the moment. Has David furner got friends in the media?
His mates at macquarie network would happily bankroll that, same guys pumping him for the job in the tele.

Webster is a Dragons supporter and one of the last intelligent voices in league journalism. More than happy that he speak what he believes

I know he is an alleged dragons supporter but as already mentioned where the Fock has he been for years when he needed to do a job on Mary for the good of the club

clearly he has an agenda , I don’t know why
Hook can’t be worse than Mary I’m sure

my mate at fox says Mary was always nice journos and always gave interviews and actually rang them to give them tips and inside stories , he was their buddy and so they protected him and would never say a bad word . Also Crawley the boss’s brother was an assistant so no one would say anything bad about Saints in general

other coaches Cleary and Seibold were specifically mentioned that they despise the media and are not helpful and forthcoming reinterviews etc and so they are quickly criticised at the drop of the hat As payback

A senior panther I know did tell me avoid Griffin but his criticism related to his interaction with assistants and other staff rather than a player revolt

kent and ? Cooper , 2 other pathetic Mary suck ups over the years

in general most journos suck and will say anything

bring back Roy masters I say

anyway time will tell

Gareth67

First Grade
Fascinating!

Is it 1st round or 2nd round?
Were these the only 3 interviewed?
Who else are they waiting for?

Waiting for other interviewees gives the impression those 3 weren't what they're after.

The media have no idea, they're filled with agendas and opinions.

Still expect a wag in the tail.

Oh how I hope that you are right about that - in fact so many of us would be .

getsmarty

Immortal
Anthony Griffin is favourite for Dragons gig. Key Panthers figures ‘can’t believe he’s being considered’
NRL Premiership
mark_st_john.jpg

c59d066192922e0ae0ba8f033c3e4e5d

Anthony Griffin.Source: News Corp Australia
Anthony Griffin is the frontrunner to be the next Dragons coach, but his history with the Panthers and Broncos can’t be ignored.

Griffin has emerged as the favourite to succeed Paul McGregor at the Dragons, but Andrew Webster warned there are factions at the Dragons club that are wary of the way he left the Panthers.

“I think there has been a lot of ancient history rewritten in the last few weeks as the push for Anthony Griffin to become Dragons coach has come and it almost seems like a fait accompli that he is going to get the job,” Webster said on The Big Sports Breakfast.

“I remember exactly what went down at Penrith in those years before he had the fallout with Gus (Gould). Gus did a lot of work behind the scenes to try and protect Anthony.

“I know that Penrith players were very, very unhappy with him.”

Dragons interim coach Dean Young is a big fan of Griffin, who has catapulted to the front of the queue in the race for the Dragons job.

Griffin coached the Broncos to 54 wins from 101 games for a win percentage of 53, while he led the Panthers to 42 wins from 72 games at a win ratio of 58.

“I know that people point out his coaching record is 55 per cent, but it should have been better because he was coaching a Broncos side for four years that went from the edge of a premiership to the bottom of the eighth and then out of the eight,” Webster argued.

“I think that is a misleading figure, but he certainly has some powerful friends in the media that are pushing him.

“To say that he left Penrith simply because of a personality clash with Gus is incorrect. I’ve talked to more than just Phil Gould.

“I speak to numerous people at Penrith both back in the day when he was there, including players and officials and people on the coaching staff.

“They cannot believe that the Dragons are considering Anthony Griffin as coach.”

Webster believes the Dragons gig has been narrowed down to three main candidates, but a split on the board is likely to delay any decision.

“The contenders are Anthony Griffin, David Furner and Dean Young,” Webster said.

“I’d be surprised if they rushed into a decision in the next couple of days.

“At the heart of it is dramas with the Dragons board, which is split. Some think Griffin shouldn’t get the job and others think he should.

“I think there is some disharmony with those two factions and that was there when they were deciding to get rid of Paul McGregor or not as well.”

The Dragons currently sit 10th on the NRL ladder, with six wins and 10 losses and their chances of making the finals are all but over.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/1a6e8e5896666ba5e3378d7116b9ffc4

St Georgio

Juniors
Anthony Griffin is favourite for Dragons gig. Key Panthers figures ‘can’t believe he’s being considered’
NRL Premiership
mark_st_john.jpg

c59d066192922e0ae0ba8f033c3e4e5d

Anthony Griffin.Source: News Corp Australia
Anthony Griffin is the frontrunner to be the next Dragons coach, but his history with the Panthers and Broncos can’t be ignored.

Griffin has emerged as the favourite to succeed Paul McGregor at the Dragons, but Andrew Webster warned there are factions at the Dragons club that are wary of the way he left the Panthers.

“I think there has been a lot of ancient history rewritten in the last few weeks as the push for Anthony Griffin to become Dragons coach has come and it almost seems like a fait accompli that he is going to get the job,” Webster said on The Big Sports Breakfast.

“I remember exactly what went down at Penrith in those years before he had the fallout with Gus (Gould). Gus did a lot of work behind the scenes to try and protect Anthony.

“I know that Penrith players were very, very unhappy with him.”

Dragons interim coach Dean Young is a big fan of Griffin, who has catapulted to the front of the queue in the race for the Dragons job.

Griffin coached the Broncos to 54 wins from 101 games for a win percentage of 53, while he led the Panthers to 42 wins from 72 games at a win ratio of 58.

“I know that people point out his coaching record is 55 per cent, but it should have been better because he was coaching a Broncos side for four years that went from the edge of a premiership to the bottom of the eighth and then out of the eight,” Webster argued.

“I think that is a misleading figure, but he certainly has some powerful friends in the media that are pushing him.

“To say that he left Penrith simply because of a personality clash with Gus is incorrect. I’ve talked to more than just Phil Gould.

“I speak to numerous people at Penrith both back in the day when he was there, including players and officials and people on the coaching staff.

“They cannot believe that the Dragons are considering Anthony Griffin as coach.”

Webster believes the Dragons gig has been narrowed down to three main candidates, but a split on the board is likely to delay any decision.

“The contenders are Anthony Griffin, David Furner and Dean Young,” Webster said.

“I’d be surprised if they rushed into a decision in the next couple of days.

“At the heart of it is dramas with the Dragons board, which is split. Some think Griffin shouldn’t get the job and others think he should.

“I think there is some disharmony with those two factions and that was there when they were deciding to get rid of Paul McGregor or not as well.”

The Dragons currently sit 10th on the NRL ladder, with six wins and 10 losses and their chances of making the finals are all but over.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/1a6e8e5896666ba5e3378d7116b9ffc4
MEDIA CRAP!!!!!!!!

Gareth67

First Grade
Clearly there are some at Penrith who don't want to see Griffin succeed and some at SGI who by Griffins success don't want Mary to look the fool he really is.

If the Board is concerned at all about these strories, then appoint Wane who I'm sure would to a great job.

Excellent post young possum , excellent post .

Dragsters

First Grade
Fascinating!

Is it 1st round or 2nd round?
Were these the only 3 interviewed?
Who else are they waiting for?

Waiting for other interviewees gives the impression those 3 weren't what they're after.

The media have no idea, they're filled with agendas and opinions.

Still expect a wag in the tail.

Fascinating indeed.

While there aren't an abundance of quality players in the market, in my mind, there is no need to rush such an important decision.

If the board are not convinced by either of the 3 interviewed to date, then keeping their options open and continuing the search is the right approach.

Investigate all possible options, then make an informed decision for betterment of the club.

Ryan Webb and the board would be negligent in their duties if they did not...

epDragon62

First Grade
Everytime I check in with this thread I'm hoping someone comes forward with inside info that in fact Shaun Wane or Wayne Bennett is going to be announced; how do reconcile that our options appear to be Furner, Griffin and an inexperienced Deano?

We are truly up to shit if this is not a massive clandestine operation.

I welcome any PMs with info :wink:

hazzbeen

Bench
We want a Head Coach not a Dickhead Coach.
Does anyone have a friend who knows Shaun Wane.
Mate if Wane is really available and does want to coach us and we are thinking of Young and Co as coaches and have not approached this bloke , they the board have really no idea .... If they want a fresh start new ideas not what Young has endured for 10 years of crap , then Wane is the guy ......

Old Timer

Coach
The press who are baying for Griffin's blood are the same lot that have had Mc Fookknuckle's back even after his departure.

There was plenty of opportunity over the last 5 years (giving grace for his first 1.5 years) for them to be honest in their appraisals of career coach and they failed to do so.

So for me personally I would rather someone they bag out than someone they prop up.

Gould is such a wanker and has the almost all of the rest of the media in his hands so as to further push his own vindictive and self centred agenda.

DF & DY in the running, supposedly meet the criteria and being promoted by areas of the press FMD they have to be kidding.

Gippsy

Bench
Yep, if it's a three horse race it's Griffin by a country mile. Furner is a failed coach at two clubs and Young is a failed assistant at a failed club. Griffin has been successful at 2 clubs and left both clubs stronger then when he got there.

Unless a Bennett, Green or Wane is in the mix it's a no contest.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
None of the short list including Griffin, are good enough to build a premiership winning Team.
Total waste of time.

Brisbane made a grand final 2 years after his departure.

Penrith are going to win a minor premiership 2 years after his departure.

Both sides squads comprise players the majority of which debuted under or signed with Griffin as coach.

So not sure what you're basing your opinion on.

It's a shame he is only been a bridesmaid so far, but give him an extended run at our club and we could see him become a big beautiful bride.

_Johnsy

Referee
Griffin should sue Webster & SMH for defamation. I have never seen that level of slander against a coaching applicant for any club.

Out of curiosity I googled what the legal context of defamation is in NSW.
https://www.slatergordon.com.au/dispute-resolution/defamation

Defamation is where a person or small business seeks damages for loss of reputation due to someone publishing or otherwise distributing defamatory material that causes others to think less of them. Defamatory material can take many forms including blogs, articles, novels, poems, photos, songs, emails, cartoons, drawings, paintings, online reviews, social media posts, and more.

Defamatory matter can also be broadcast or spoken (e.g., a person might be defamed on a radio show or in a public presentation). If you state or spread something defamatory in any public forum, including over the internet, you could be taken to court.

Defamation law is designed to protect all Australians from false or damaging statements being made about them that may cause harm to their personal or professional reputation
. It enables those who have been defamed to seek compensation for financial and other losses resulting from a defamatory publication of any kind.

From memory (I cannot remember the exact nature of the article, but it sure wasn’t complimentary) it would be interesting to see the outcome of Griffin chose this path.

getsmarty

Immortal
Young's simple ask as Dragons job beckons
  • r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

St Geroge Illawarra interim Dean Young has made his case to take the job on a fulltime basis.
    Dean Young has made his case for the full-time job at St George-Illawarra and can only hope his position as interim coach will help his cause in the final weeks of the NRL season.

Young, Anthony Griffin and David Furner were interviewed by the Dragons on Thursday ahead of Sunday's trip to North Queensland to face the Cowboys.

Gold Coast's comeback win against Young's side last weekend all but ruled out a finals charge for the Dragons with four rounds to play.

After his interview on Thursday, Young can only assume his performance over the next month will become part of his resume.

"The process was very professional for the club; I put my best foot forward on Thursday night, gave it my best shot so we'll wait and see what happens," he said on Saturday.

"I've just taken on board what the CEO has told me, he's kept me up to date and asked me to present so I did that and I'll leave it up to them now.

"It's a question for the board whether the next four weeks and the results have an impact on the decision."

The Dragons beat Parramatta in Paul McGregor's last game in charge, Young going 1-1 in games against Brisbane and Gold Coast since.

All three have been tight affairs and that's all he asks of his side in the run home.

"I think I've made it pretty clear in the two weeks I've been interim coach that I look for people who compete, who are consistent and disciplined and that won't change if I get the opportunity moving forward.

"We've started the process and the last three weeks have been pretty similar, where we've been in the fight the last two minutes ... and we can't say we did that earlier in the season.

"We want to be there fighting at the death and the challenge is doing it again."

The Cowboys, themselves under an interim coach in Josh Hannay, have lost nine straight.

Jake Clifford is back in place of halfback Michael Morgan (calf), who is out with a calf injury while Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow is back from a hamstring strain on the wing.

Forward Tyrell Fuimaono returns from suspension in place of Trent Merrin (hamstring) on the bench as Ben Hunt plays his 250th NRL appearance.

STATS THAT MATTER

* St George Illawarra is missing the fewest tackles in the NRL (21.4 per game), while North Queensland is busting the third fewest tackles (20 per game).

* The Cowboys' three wins this season is currently their second worst in club history, only better than their two wins in 1995.

* The Dragons' past seven matches have been decided by eight points or less.

Australian Associated Press

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/6911546/youngs-simple-ask-as-dragons-job-beckons/?cs=13068

Latest posts