What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"IN WANE WE TRUST" ................ Shaun Wane that is.

Dragsters

First Grade
Found it:

On for Young and old in race for Dragons job

St George Illawarra will conduct final interviews with their coaching candidates on Thursday and the eventual victor can take comfort in the knowledge that Jack de Belin has officially committed his future to the club.

The Warriors conceded defeat in the race to secure de Belin on Monday after he had indicated he would be staying at the Dragons.

Late on Wednesday, the Dragons confirmed that de Belin had informed them of his plans to accept a lucrative contract extension, albeit on the proviso that he is cleared of aggravated sexual assault charges later in the year.

De Belin is due to stand trial in November, having spent more than 18 months on the sidelines after being stood down under the no-fault stand-down policy.

The news comes as the club prepares to conduct crucial interviews with the three coaches short-listed to replace Paul McGregor – interim coach Dean Young, Newcastle assistant David Furner and former Penrith and Brisbane coach Anthony Griffin.

It is understood Young is considered the slight favourite and if he is appointed to the position, he could have his choice of assistants. Current assistant Shane Flanagan is known to be a fan of Young and it is believed he would like to remain part of the staff if Young gets the job. Alternatively, Young has a strong relationship with Griffin and may attempt to keep him at the club as an assistant if he gets pipped to the top job. Griffin is likely to do the reverse if he is successful, retaining Young as one of his assistants.

Furner is keen to move back to Sydney but will interview for the job with the backing of some of the game’s heaviest hitters. The former Canberra coach has been a serial winner throughout his career as an assistant and will front the interview panel with references from some of the game’s most respected and revered figures.

Furner, who has been a sage sounding board for Knights coach Adam O’Brien, will most likely become an assistant to Trent Barrett at Canterbury if he misses the Dragons job. England coach Shaun Wane has also been linked with the position and could re-enter the equation at the 11th hour after missing out on the head coach position at North Queensland – Todd Payten is likely to be announced imminently.

Whoever gets the job will have their fingers crossed that de Belin is able to prove his innocence. The Dragons haven’t been the same side since he was sidelined and he is widely regarded as the most valuable player in their squad because of the impact he has on those around him.

He had hoped to have the charges dropped recently when his legal team was involved in an argument over technical aspects of the case. However, the court has set aside dates in November for the case to be heard and de Belin’s future in the game will hinge on the outcome.

The developments at the Dragons come as one of the key figures in the introduction of the no-fault stand-down policy prepares to be unveiled as the game’s new chief executive.

The NRL is expected to hold a press conference on Thursday to confirm Andrew Abdo as the successor to Todd Greenberg. Abdo, formerly the game’s chief commercial officer, was a key witness for the NRL in their Federal Court case against de Belin. He has done an outstanding job in an interim capacity since taking over from Greenberg and one of his first duties will be to cut a swath through the game’s cost base.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...b/news-story/8b8d1d835be96fcc3ee35d35ed17eb7b

Thanks for posting ViceVersa.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Found it:

On for Young and old in race for Dragons job

St George Illawarra will conduct final interviews with their coaching candidates on Thursday and the eventual victor can take comfort in the knowledge that Jack de Belin has officially committed his future to the club.

The Warriors conceded defeat in the race to secure de Belin on Monday after he had indicated he would be staying at the Dragons.

Late on Wednesday, the Dragons confirmed that de Belin had informed them of his plans to accept a lucrative contract extension, albeit on the proviso that he is cleared of aggravated sexual assault charges later in the year.

De Belin is due to stand trial in November, having spent more than 18 months on the sidelines after being stood down under the no-fault stand-down policy.

The news comes as the club prepares to conduct crucial interviews with the three coaches short-listed to replace Paul McGregor – interim coach Dean Young, Newcastle assistant David Furner and former Penrith and Brisbane coach Anthony Griffin.

It is understood Young is considered the slight favourite and if he is appointed to the position, he could have his choice of assistants. Current assistant Shane Flanagan is known to be a fan of Young and it is believed he would like to remain part of the staff if Young gets the job. Alternatively, Young has a strong relationship with Griffin and may attempt to keep him at the club as an assistant if he gets pipped to the top job. Griffin is likely to do the reverse if he is successful, retaining Young as one of his assistants.

Furner is keen to move back to Sydney but will interview for the job with the backing of some of the game’s heaviest hitters. The former Canberra coach has been a serial winner throughout his career as an assistant and will front the interview panel with references from some of the game’s most respected and revered figures.

Furner, who has been a sage sounding board for Knights coach Adam O’Brien, will most likely become an assistant to Trent Barrett at Canterbury if he misses the Dragons job. England coach Shaun Wane has also been linked with the position and could re-enter the equation at the 11th hour after missing out on the head coach position at North Queensland – Todd Payten is likely to be announced imminently.

Whoever gets the job will have their fingers crossed that de Belin is able to prove his innocence. The Dragons haven’t been the same side since he was sidelined and he is widely regarded as the most valuable player in their squad because of the impact he has on those around him.

He had hoped to have the charges dropped recently when his legal team was involved in an argument over technical aspects of the case. However, the court has set aside dates in November for the case to be heard and de Belin’s future in the game will hinge on the outcome.

The developments at the Dragons come as one of the key figures in the introduction of the no-fault stand-down policy prepares to be unveiled as the game’s new chief executive.

The NRL is expected to hold a press conference on Thursday to confirm Andrew Abdo as the successor to Todd Greenberg. Abdo, formerly the game’s chief commercial officer, was a key witness for the NRL in their Federal Court case against de Belin. He has done an outstanding job in an interim capacity since taking over from Greenberg and one of his first duties will be to cut a swath through the game’s cost base.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...b/news-story/8b8d1d835be96fcc3ee35d35ed17eb7b
Thanks for posting that mate. Wasn’t as heavily Wane related as I would like but at least there is a tiny bit of hope Wane is still an option.

SnowDragon

Juniors
I hope there is something real behind that reference.

Initially I knew little of Wane, and was just intrigued when I saw his record of success in the super league (238 games coached for Wigan with a 68% win ratio Is definitely impressive )

more interested given the other Coaching options available.

then the long interview somebody posted here, where he talked about his history, background and philosophy. He seemed to know his weaknesses, and hence could put in a team to address that, and he has the steel and focus we really need.

given the general acceptance on this forum that he is the best option I’d be very disappointed if he was seemingly ignored in this process.

boardlumps62

Juniors
The game over there is easy I believe compared to NRL so 68% win ratio may be misleading. However I have seen that interview with Wane was impressed so love to see him get a go something different. Have to get some good quality support staff to help him plus an interpreter.

SnowDragon

Juniors
The game over there is easy I believe compared to NRL so 68% win ratio may be misleading. However I have seen that interview with Wane was impressed so love to see him get a go something different. Have to get some good quality support staff to help him plus an interpreter.

sure the game is different, but each coach has the same conditions, so the win ratio is impressive. (And the competitor coaches must have poor win ratio’s). I don’t think it’s the same as looking at how players perform in super League v NRL.

but the game is different, so it is of course not clear his approaches and game plans translate to the NRL ( I assume that’s what you mean board lumps?)

True_Believer

Juniors

So the glaring question would be why was he passed up for the other coaching jobs he supposedly applied for?

SnowDragon

Juniors
So the glaring question would be why was he passed up for the other coaching jobs he supposedly applied for?

yep, which is why if we interview him and choose another coach, I’ll accept that there possibly good reasons. But ignoring him makes it feel like lack of due diligence (and maybe pushing agendas not related to best success for the dragons)

Dragsters

First Grade

I think each club has a different set of circumstances and therefore needs in a coach.

The warriors were looking for a coach for the long term, up to a decade or more as stated by their CEO and Nathan Brown with his history of rebuilding clubs was their best option.

The cows have just let go of a long term, experienced coach who they had success with but they felt they needed a fresh ideas and they went with Todd Payton as a result.

The Dragons have had a decade of rookie coaches with club ties and desperately need a strong minded experienced coach with record of success and a strong history of developing players to take advantage of our strong junior nursery.

Wane fits this criteria better than any other candidate without the hangups of being sacked from 2 previous coaching roles, which 2 out of 3 of them do...

Dragon David

First Grade
But we don't even know if Wane applied for the job no?
This is where we just keep on speculating because there just isn't any transparency given outside the inner sanctum to let us have some idea who they are chasing. All we know is that there were 3 zoom interviews last Thursday with Griffin, Young and Furner. They say that they preferred Fitzgibbon but he is staying at the Roosters. No mention of Wane or anybody else.

They just like to keep us in suspense.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
This is where we just keep on speculating because there just isn't any transparency given outside the inner sanctum to let us have some idea who they are chasing. All we know is that there were 3 zoom interviews last Thursday with Griffin, Young and Furner. They say that they preferred Fitzgibbon but he is staying at the Roosters. No mention of Wane or anybody else.

They just like to keep us in suspense.
Or playing a waiting game..?

Mjab

Juniors
The board has to decide who is the coach and if reports true they want different people and are split

maybe this delay Will play into an alternate play and if they can’t decide then Wane or ?Green if he misses Broncs Could come thru middle and be the winner

sadly I think BOD are not competent so do not hold high hopes

if the choice truly is between the 3 amigos I would prefer Griffin and suspect that will be the outcome

Gareth67

First Grade
Just on Wane , the man was assistant coach to Trent Robinson’s Roosters . So he would have a basic understanding of the NRL system , as well as some coaching ability.

Nick Politis does not hire fools .

Last edited:

Coffs dragon

Bench
Just on Wane , the man was assistant coach to Trent Robinson’s Roosters . So he would have a basic understanding of the NRL system , as well as some coaching ability.

Nick Politis does not hire fools .
Hey Gareth, I think you got the Pommies mixed up, as it was Steve McNamara that was the assistant at the Roosters. They speak in the same Accent! LOL
Wane has never coached in the NRL as an assistant.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
And it is a valid question, my personal view is that he wants to focus at least a fair amount of his time to team England, and the clubs want his sole focus. Personally I’d be happy to have him even with him having to hand the reins to his assistant for those games in the same way Bennett does with Demetriou. If he uses Young as an assistant it will be good practice for him anyway and a proper way to have a succession plan where he is brought on slowly.

Gareth67

First Grade
Hey Gareth, I think you got the Pommies mixed up, as it was Steve McNamara that was the assistant at the Roosters. They speak in the same Accent! LOL
Wane has never coached in the NRL as an assistant.

Good lawd ! You mean to say that is was another fella ? Your right Coffs - those bluudy pommies all talk the same and even look alike . :flushed:

Mjab

Juniors
And it is a valid question, my personal view is that he wants to focus at least a fair amount of his time to team England, and the clubs want his sole focus. Personally I’d be happy to have him even with him having to hand the reins to his assistant for those games in the same way Bennett does with Demetriou. If he uses Young as an assistant it will be good practice for him anyway and a proper way to have a succession plan where he is brought on slowly.
Easy solution
Bring most of the england squad to play for saints and he can keep a close eye on them !