What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Do you happen to know what the young bloke is doing?
i.e. is he still at Manly
Tigerm, from today’s paper.
URL link: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/tigers-stage-thrilling-comeback-to-beat-manly-20200905-p55spy.html

It was a game of two halves in many senses. When Josh Schuster was last off contract, the Wests Tigers knew it would take something special to poach him.

So as part of the pitch for his signature, they introduced him to one of his favourite players, Marshall. History will show that it didn’t quite do the trick, which is why Schuster made his NRL debut against Marshall rather than alongside him.

Just as a veteran pivot prepares to leave the arena, a precocious teen enters.

Schuster lasted just 65 minutes, his big night coming to a premature end when he limped from Lottoland. The initial diagnosis was “severe cramping”, meaning he watched helplessly from the sidelines as the see-sawing contest played out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigerm

First Grade
Tigerm, from today’s paper.
URL link: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/tigers-stage-thrilling-comeback-to-beat-manly-20200905-p55spy.html

It was a game of two halves in many senses. When Josh Schuster was last off contract, the Wests Tigers knew it would take something special to poach him.

So as part of the pitch for his signature, they introduced him to one of his favourite players, Marshall. History will show that it didn’t quite do the trick, which is why Schuster made his NRL debut against Marshall rather than alongside him.

Just as a veteran pivot prepares to leave the arena, a precocious teen enters.

Schuster lasted just 65 minutes, his big night coming to a premature end when he limped from Lottoland. The initial diagnosis was “severe cramping”, meaning he watched helplessly from the sidelines as the see-sawing contest played out.
Oh, I didn't realise it was this young bloke, he is good. Next time.

Tiger05

First Grade
When Josh Schuster was last off contract, the Wests Tigers knew it would take something special to poach him.

I remember we tried to get him. He is exactly the type of player we need. He was going at Benji and was heaps better than Benji although that was one of Benji's poor games.

Benji should retire and no club will offer him a contract based on that performance.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Mario, wasn’t there talk a year or 2 ago that young Schuster was heading to tiger town?

Just did a quick search before posting ^
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/the-mo...mcgregor/b5eef955-9c7c-4bfd-8775-a18f6c253cf3

Not sure of the length of the Schuster contract but if it is a development deal he is on you'd think it would be at least a couple of years.

We did try and recruit him last year. There was info on the main forum about it at the time. I think there was also mail that Wayne Lambkin our Flegg coach was doing a lot of the recruiting for Schuster who went to Westfield Sports High. Lambkin was at Manly previously and has brought a lot of Westfield students to that club. Lambkin is or was a teacher at Westfield.

It seems like Lambkin has quite a lot of influence over our recruiting at WT.
https://www.fairfieldchampion.com.a...-westfields-sports-to-feature-in-documentary/

Talau is already at our club. Utoikamanu is signed for next year and we are red hot on Jason Saab who also played for Lambkin.

Pretty sure Ray Jankovic also played in the 2018 Westfield team. He played reggies last year and has good leg drive

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Contract List from 2021 as per zero tackle website

Sorry if posted elsewhere already but doesnt hure to revisit.

Props (6)
Twal
Packer
Utoikamanu
Musgrove
Aloiai
Mikaele

Edge Forwards (5)

Blore
Leilua L
Garner
McIntyre
Chee Kam

Hookers (2)
Simpkin
Liddle

Halves (4)
Madden
Reynolds
Brooks
Walters

Outside Backs (9)
Mbye
Doueihi
Hoffman
Cini
Bradley
Nofoaluma
Leilua BJ
Talau
Kepaoa

Outside of the glaring "Overpaid Duds" issue which is raised anywhere and everywhere the main problem I can see with this mix of players is the fact that there is next to no experience in the outside backs.

Is Henry Lealuga-Puhotau still with the club? https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2019/03/28/henry-lealuga-puhotau-joins-2019-development-squad/ Have not heard anything about him this year?

Tigerm

First Grade
Some better news: Now if any under performing player wants out, put your hand up now or get behind the coach.

Tigers to re-sign Maguire

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ti...-drama-highlights-issues-20200905-p55sre.html
A coach I know says of the team, only the 17 picked will like you this week.
But winning solves everything, when you are losing everyone has an opinion as to why and its always easier to blame the coach.
Weather good or bad, at least the club has told all players that Madge ball is what we are playing, your either on the bus or not.

Perth Tiger

Bench
Contract List from 2021 as per zero tackle website

Sorry if posted elsewhere already but doesnt hure to revisit.

Props (6)
Twal
Packer
Utoikamanu
Musgrove
Aloiai
Mikaele

Edge Forwards (5)

Blore
Leilua L
Garner
McIntyre
Chee Kam

Hookers (2)
Simpkin
Liddle

Halves (4)
Madden
Reynolds
Brooks
Walters

Outside Backs (9)
Mbye
Doueihi
Hoffman
Cini
Bradley
Nofoaluma
Leilua BJ
Talau
Kepaoa

Outside of the glaring "Overpaid Duds" issue which is raised anywhere and everywhere the main problem I can see with this mix of players is the fact that there is next to no experience in the outside backs.

Is Henry Lealuga-Puhotau still with the club? https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2019/03/28/henry-lealuga-puhotau-joins-2019-development-squad/ Have not heard anything about him this year?

I Haven't seen anywhere that McIntyre had been resigned?

WA Tiger

Bench
Some better news: Now if any under performing player wants out, put your hand up now or get behind the coach.

Tigers to re-sign Maguire

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ti...-drama-highlights-issues-20200905-p55sre.html

We could wait untill next year but we are so confident in Madge, despite all the distasteful recent news updates, we will sign him this year because there’s nothing, that he needs to prove to us ..top 8 contenders? No ...Team discipline good? No ...Coach has the trust of the team? No ..Don’t worry about those things We hear he was good in the past..Anyway we just need to wait until we have good players.The coaches input isn’t that important .He's not the one on the field making the tackles right? AND seriously I think if we just pretend there’s no problems they might just go away! I mean it ...

Most important tho let’s sign him up 12 months before we need to, so we can set ourselves up to be ridiculed again as a club next year, when the inevitable shit hits the fan ..So to wrap up we are so confident in Madge we will sign him up early because that will give Madge confidence to continue on his merry way....But obviously we don’t trust the prick, I mean look at him..that’s why he’s getting 12 months..

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Looks like Freddy is trying find a way not to select Nofo?

A TIGER TO TEAR INTO MAROONS?

In a season of near misses, the form of David Nofoaluma has been a rare shining light for the Wests Tigers.

In each of the last two years - under Ivan Cleary and then Michael Maguire - the winger has been dropped to reserve grade.

This season, however, he’s been by far and away the best player for the Tigers.

The Samoan international bagged a hat-trick against Manly on Saturday, taking him to the top of the tryscoring charts with 17 for the season.

But given his rich vein of form, could he also be a feature for NSW in this year’s end-of-season Origin.

“I agree that he can definitely play at that level,” Maguire said of Nofoaluma. “His hunger and fight to improve as a player will definitely put him in contention so looking forward to seeing what happens when teams are selected.

“His passion, his pride in what he does, I think everyone can see that with the way he plays.”

Of course NSW is blessed for options in the backline, but as Blues coach Brad Fittler said with Blake Ferguson’s dip in form, the door could still be open for Nofoaluma.

“He’s playing right wing and Fergo’s not scored a try all year,” said Fittler. “He’s been incredible, but he did drop a ball and brought Manly back into the game.

“When you’re a little winger you have to nail that part of the game.

“He’s hard to tackle... what’s good too is he doesn’t stop, he skips in field he runs to space, he always seem able to get quick play the balls.”

Fordy20

Juniors
He was promised the head coach gig, and they turned around and signed taylor. The cowboys gig was the last one available for the next season

I did hear on another forum that he had a hand in the white-anting of Potter in order to secure the job for himself. Not sure how much stock I put in it though. I don't think it would have been too healthy having a coach that played with a lot of the playing group. It didn't seem to work too well for Browny at the Dragons.

Last edited:

Fordy20

Juniors
We could wait untill next year but we are so confident in Madge, despite all the distasteful recent news updates, we will sign him this year because there’s nothing, that he needs to prove to us ..top 8 contenders? No ...Team discipline good? No ...Coach has the trust of the team? No ..Don’t worry about those things We hear he was good in the past..Anyway we just need to wait until we have good players.The coaches input isn’t that important .He's not the one on the field making the tackles right? AND seriously I think if we just pretend there’s no problems they might just go away! I mean it ...

Most important tho let’s sign him up 12 months before we need to, so we can set ourselves up to be ridiculed again as a club next year, when the inevitable shit hits the fan ..So to wrap up we are so confident in Madge we will sign him up early because that will give Madge confidence to continue on his merry way....But obviously we don’t trust the prick, I mean look at him..that’s why he’s getting 12 months..

We can't wait until next year. Madge is only signed to the end of the 2021 and any player worth a pinch of shit will want more than one year and they will expect to know who the coach is over that period. Take Tamou for example, the only reason his isn't re-signing with Penrith is because he wants more than a year.

Apart from signing players, no quality coach is going to come here if they know they will only get two seasons to achieve success, despite the amount of baggage hanging around from the previous coach. If we punted Madge now or just let the clock run out on his contract like we did with Potter, we're not going to be attract a decent coach.

So we need to extend him this year before all the decent players get snapped up and he needs to be extended at least 2 years beyond the end of his current contract, simply for the stability of the club and to built toward success next year.

Latest posts