What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Coach 2021 and Beyond

Who do you want to see as Dragons coach?

• Total voters

be55

Juniors
Dragons' roster as good as any of top-four sides, says Furner
Adrian Proszenko
September 6, 2020 — 12.01am
David Furner has opened up about his "burning desire" to become St George Illawarra's next coach, believing he would be inheriting a roster capable of competing for the top four next year.

Furner, Anthony Griffin and Dean Young are the front runners to replace Paul McGregor after making their pitches for the job to the Dragons board on Thursday. Speaking exclusively to The Sun-Herald, Furner said the Red V wasn't in need of a rebuild and said Ben Hunt's best position is still halfback.

"I think it's the long history of the Steelers and Dragons which excites me most about the club," Furner said. "Along with its rugby league nursery, that makes me feel the club has a bright future that I want to be part of as head coach.

"The club has such a strong history and following so it needs to ensure everyone is on the bus together from board members, admin staff, football staff and players to drive a winning culture.

"Jack Gibson said many years ago, 'Winning starts at the front office'. We just need all parts of the club on the bus together to get the result. I am confident in those within the club."

The Dragons came into the round in 10th spot and are almost certain to miss the finals series for a second straight year. Some commentators believe the roster is in need of an overhaul, with several big names struggling to live up to their pay packets. However, Furner believes the Dragons are not a club in need of a rebuild.

8b3c930d2745fe6cec5d0dbaaa344d8ea90acc09

David Furner says Ben Hunt's best position is fullback and that the Dragons' roster isn't in need of an overhaul.Credit:Getty

"No I don't believe it is," he said. "They are up there in a lot of team stats comparisons and the roster, in my eyes, is strong enough to rival any of the top-four sides. They are losing some personnel next season, which will need to be replaced, either internally or externally. I see a lot of upside to the roster and the club."

One of the biggest questions the next St George Illawarra coach will have to answer is how best to utilise Ben Hunt. The Maroons and Kangaroos star arrived at the club as a marquee halfback, but has been shifted to hooker in a bid to get the spine to gel.

"I think Ben is a halfback but must stand up and take ownership of the team, plus be given the support and tools to do it from the coaching staff," Furner said.

4ae4c0afbf16f7bf7b98cf35dd18858e5a445080

Former Raiders coach David Furner is one of three men in line to be the Dragons next head coach.Credit:Getty

Asked about the vision he pitched to the Dragons board, Furner said: "I don't want to go into detail as I want to respect the process. But I will say I have a burning desire to be the head coach of the St George Illawarra Dragons club and feel I can bring a tough mentality, discipline which will help build a successful team."

After finishing an illustrious playing career, Furner has had a variety of roles with the clipboard. The premiership-winning Kangaroos forward was head coach of the Raiders for 121 matches, assisted Paul Green when the Cowboys won their inaugural premiership and may well have taken over at South Sydney, where he was an assistant, when Anthony Seibold left, but had already committed to Leeds.

"I didn't want to go back on my word," Furner said.

Former Raiders coach Furner on Dragons coaching shortlist
He is now assisting Anthony O'Brien at Newcastle. The 49-year-old believes he will make for a better head coach now for all of his experiences.

"Definitely, all experiences, good and bad, help you grow as a person," he said. "All of those professional experiences have helped me grow into the coach I am today, which is a very passionate players' coach that players can count on, an extremely driven coach that will leave no stone unturned in pursuit of helping the players and the club win a premiership."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/dr...p-four-sides-says-furner-20200905-p55spe.html
If this guy truly thinks that he shouldn't be worried about a first grade coaching job he should be looking to check himself into a psychiatric clinic as soon as possible....

Last edited:
It’s become like target practice with Fairfax and their shots at Griffin in the media.
I just hope our club has some alternative and legitimate candidates to consider, as the 3 selected interviewees would only make a half decent coach if all their strengths were combined into one coach.
IMO they all have glaring faults and are just inexpensive Half arsed solutions.
Totally agree CD.
Why are we focused on these three only?

thebigredv

First Grade
I can't agree that we have the roster as good as any. Furner is not the man if that's what he really believes.

Maybe the likes of Hunt and Norman can reach their potential under better coaching but for one thing we are two big quality props short, plus we've lost Frizell and no one knows when JDB will play again.

Left centre is not sorted and the current coach is doing nothing to benefit the club or careers of the youth that are acclaimed. We should have seen Ramsey, Sullivan and particularly Max Feagei by now. Blooding some of these blokes could have given us a clear indication of where we need to buy and where we can rely on our own nursery.

Our minimum spend should be on a huge prop, a rep quality second rower and a quality centre/ winger. If they are not available by now I'm happy to wait for mid season transfers as we may get better options that way. Of the pretty sad coaching line up Griffin is the only one who will come in and get rid of dead wood and grab some decent players.

Mjab

Juniors
Yep it’s getting a bit of time this pounding of Griffen.

Up until last week there was never any issues with anything posted on his social media account and today it’s an issue. The problem at panthers I’m not sure on but someone once suggested 2-3 players didn’t like his style. The 2 I can recall are Moylan and Peachey. Now we know he had good reason to move them on. And then there was the issue with the NRL version of Vladimir Putin (aka Gus Gould).

if he doesn’t like you or you stand up to him either him or his stooges concertedly drive you to your grave.

Whilst he is not the Perfect man manager type of coach he knows how to coach.

And if we are going to listen to anything Gus and his stooges say. Well look at what was the result last time. A complete fabrication of the truth led by the one and only Vladimir Gus Gould Putin

yes clearly the players he moved on would not have been in his camp

They needed a clean out of dead wood , as do we

all choices except maybe Lewis were clearly correct

Griffin not given enough credit for clean out and bringing thru the young ones

I’m comfortable he can do a clean out
He may even be able to turn a few around ie hunt
If players don’t like him they can ask there managers to get them out at there expense not ours,a good thing

we also need to be realistic , we won’t be winning a premiership any time soon

top 8 for a few years , top 4 , then a1-2 year crack competive premiership

it will be an interesting few years

Smith will retire , Bellamy too , Melbourne will not be a powerhouse
If rumours true Robbo to France and who will take over ? Fitzgibbon and is he really up to the job
Panthers look set for a few good years

No Mary and a top 8 finish next year sounds promising
Griffin or Wane albeit unlikely the best options

not young or Furner
Anyone suggesting these 2 perpetual losers need their head read

What I like about Furner's comments (re top 4 squad) is that he must see the failures being due to coaching. AGREE!

That also means if he is the new coach he can own the 2021 results, not blame the squad he has inherited.

Too often coaches run the "rebuilding" line to cover their inadequacies.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
What I like about Furner's comments (re top 4 squad) is that he must see the failures being due to coaching. AGREE!

That also means if he is the new coach he can own the 2021 results, not blame the squad he has inherited.

Too often coaches run the "rebuilding" line to cover their inadequacies.

I think it's more just a throw away line to put himself in the frame but if he were to make it to the coach's seat we can expect his rhetoric to change then.

He is clearly well versed at telling prospective employers what they want to hear/getting the job and then tanking!

TruSaint

Referee
EXCLUSIVE: David Furner's stocks rise for Dragons coaching job after interview
https%3A%2F%2Fimageresizer.static9.net.au%2FmSBkH_e4otW2pi-LpZeSDFjaNO4%3D%2F75x75%2Fsmart%2Fhttps%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2017%2F05%2F05%2F11%2F44%2Fthe_mole_byline.jpg

Former Canberra coach David Furner has made a late charge for the vacant Dragons coaching position for next season.

Ex-Broncos and Panthers coach Anthony Griffin remains the favourite for the job, but Furner has closed the gap between the pair after zoom interviews were conducted by the club late last week.

An announcement by the Dragons is expected in coming days.

Furner, currently an assistant coach at Newcastle, impressed the board with his plans and vision for the club.

"He probably presented the best case of the contenders in the interview phase," a Dragons insider told Wide World of Sports.

"He talked some good sense and gave us plenty to think about."

The job has come down to a race in four, with caretaker coach Dean Young and ex-Wigan boss Shaun Wane still in contention but rank outsiders.

Griffin's chances received a setback on Sunday with revelations in Nine Newspapers that his social media accounts contained controversial views on US President Donald Trump and Australian One Nation senator Pauline Hanson, and the Black Lives Matter movement.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/st-geo...nterview/fea5c742-6f9b-434d-9809-72823de68456

Dragonslayer

First Grade
yes clearly the players he moved on would not have been in his camp

They needed a clean out of dead wood , as do we

all choices except maybe Lewis were clearly correct

Griffin not given enough credit for clean out and bringing thru the young ones

I’m comfortable he can do a clean out
He may even be able to turn a few around ie hunt
If players don’t like him they can ask there managers to get them out at there expense not ours,a good thing

we also need to be realistic , we won’t be winning a premiership any time soon

top 8 for a few years , top 4 , then a1-2 year crack competive premiership

it will be an interesting few years

Smith will retire , Bellamy too , Melbourne will not be a powerhouse
If rumours true Robbo to France and who will take over ? Fitzgibbon and is he really up to the job
Panthers look set for a few good years

No Mary and a top 8 finish next year sounds promising
Griffin or Wane albeit unlikely the best options

not young or Furner
Anyone suggesting these 2 perpetual losers need their head read

Interesting they also have ex-Wallabies coach Cheka as part of their coaching staff.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Reading between the lines of Young's coach preview, I think he already knows he's not a contender for the job. As he stated, Webb told him what he needs to do over the next 4 weeks, and imo, that means coach the team until the end of the season, that's it. I doubt a CEO would be telling a prospective applicant what he needs to do over a fairly long period of time, particularly when we need to appoint someone now so as to start recruitment and retention processes.

With the hype around each of the remaining 2 media preferred applicants (Griffin and Furner), it wouldn't surprise to see a left field announcement.

The calm one

Juniors
Reading between the lines of Young's coach preview, I think he already knows he's not a contender for the job. As he stated, Webb told him what he needs to do over the next 4 weeks, and imo, that means coach the team until the end of the season, that's it. I doubt a CEO would be telling a prospective applicant what he needs to do over a fairly long period of time, particularly when we need to appoint someone now so as to start recruitment and retention processes.

With the hype around each of the remaining 2 media preferred applicants (Griffin and Furner), it wouldn't surprise to see a left field announcement.
Uncle Wayne

Latest posts