What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 17 Penrith V Brisvegas.

Kilkenny

Coach
I understand you can't play well every game, so I'm not worried about the display.

My main issue was the game plan. Just seemed odd. Inside balls from Cleary (which they handled with ease) & a kick at the end. I can only assume we thought they were vulnerable up the middle but after the 65th minute of doing the same thing, gets a little predictable.

Even the way we used May last night seemed a little different.

At the end of the day we got the 2 points & we move onto the next. Leota, Tetevano, Lenui & Edwards were all excellent imo.

The inside balls were doing my head in last night.

I agree happy with the two points, the Broncos tried hard and for the most part we were defensively pretty good.

I don’t know whether it is just me but we either aren’t getting the best out of Kikau or is he just a little underwhelming. He just isn’t having the impact he should have, maybe I am expecting too much. I accept he is not going to be the one to miss out but almost all the other forwards just seem to be playing so much better than Kikau. He was also partly responsible for both tries we conceded.

The_Frog

First Grade

I agree happy with the two points, the Broncos tried hard and for the most part we were defensively pretty good.

I don’t know whether it is just me but we either aren’t getting the best out of Kikau or is he just a little underwhelming. He just isn’t having the impact he should have, maybe I am expecting too much. I accept he is not going to be the one to miss out but almost all the other forwards just seem to be playing so much better than Kikau. He was also partly responsible for both tries we conceded.
Ivan was saying the other day that he's very closely watched, and that creates opportunities for other players.

Kilkenny

Coach
Ivan was saying the other day that he's very closely watched, and that creates opportunities for other players.

Your probably right but I just can’t help feeling for such a powerhouse he just isn’t quite delivering what he is capable of.

murraymob

Coach

To put it simply Cleary jogging across the field 5 meters from the defensive line to a inside pass to Kikau does him no favours .Played right he is our best hole runner .Martin also needs the holes to run in

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
To put it simply Cleary jogging across the field 5 meters from the defensive line to a inside pass to Kikau does him no favours .Played right he is our best hole runner .Martin also needs the holes to run in

Last night was little more than a training gallop for Penrith.

After Broncos 2nd try now how long did it take for Penrith to respond.

They did as little as possible to get the job done.

John Hamblin

Juniors
A win is a win is a win. Our forwards were again great at limiting the metres from the opposition . Metres gained Panthers 2100 !!! Broncos 1200. That says it all. Our forwards first tough contact and line speed without the ball has been pivotal to our success. Bring on the Eels!!

franklin2323

Immortal

Martin got plenty of ball. Edwards lost a few ribs trying to excute an overlap. The defence on that side was strong

GongPanther

Referee
Three Broncos charged by the MRC. Riki 1-2 weeks for the crusher on Cleary, Hopoate and Paix 0-1 for the spear tackle on JFH. I thought the tackle on JFH was the worse of the two, but crushers are the flavour of the month at the MRC.
Both those incidents were 5 minutes of each other. Obviously a message sent out from the coach to maim our heroes.

GongPanther

Referee
Your probably right but I just can’t help feeling for such a powerhouse he just isn’t quite delivering what he is capable of.
Underutilised is the term I'd use. But maybe Cleary and co are saving up some surprises for the finals.

Original Name

Juniors
Anyone who was baffled about how much we struggled to get the ball to our edges doesn't value Issah Yeo enough. Is responsible for about 30% of our through the hands edge tries through his ball playing.

Last edited:

Pomoz

Bench
Anyone who was baffled about how much we struggled to get the ball to our edges doesn't value Issah Yeo enough. Is responsible for about 30% of our through the hands edge tries through his ball playing.
Much as I love Yeo, when I watch him play I don't see the pattern you are alluding to. I see him mop up the middle in defence and in attack, especially this year, I see him driving us forward and delivering run metres. He has been mainly delivering his effort through the middle, and I know he passes the ball out wide, but no more than Leota or JFH.

The involvement in the scoring of tries is actually measured and recorded as a stat. You can see this stat in the Fox Sports Lab. Yeo has been involved in a total of five tries this year. Of the forwards, Martin and Kikau are above him with 7 and 9 involvements respectively. He has 1 try assist and Martin and Kikau have two. By way of comparison, Cordner has 5 try involvements and he has only played 9 games and Jake Trbojevic has 7.

As for delivering metres and tackles and after ignoring the backs, in the position of second row, he is:
  • 4th in the NRL for run metres per game (9th in the position of lock) - 125m (Martin 84m and Kikau 78m);
  • 2nd in the NRL for tackles per game (6th in the position of lock) - 37 (Martin 29 and Kikau 20);
  • Equal 2nd in the NRL for effective tackle percentage (equal 3rd in the position of lock) - 94% (Martin 87 and Kikau 86).
Incidentally, when looking at Yeo's stats I stumbled across the fact that the Panther's highest effective tackle percentage is Tamou at 96%. But what shocked me was that Leniu's percentage is the same as Yeo's at 94%! He is 19 and playing in the toughest position at prop! This kid is Special, with a capital "S"!

Anyway, back to Yeo, overall, those are hugely impressive stats. He has a great motor and is the consummate team player. I think he is an elite workhorse, but not really crucial to our attack directly. He contributes by helping lay the platform to create space for others, not only by his runs but also by tackling the opposition so they can't make metres. He is an integral part of "The Black Wall". Thou shall not pass.

Original Name

Juniors
Much as I love Yeo, when I watch him play I don't see the pattern you are alluding to. I see him mop up the middle in defence and in attack, especially this year, I see him driving us forward and delivering run metres. He has been mainly delivering his effort through the middle, and I know he passes the ball out wide, but no more than Leota or JFH.

The involvement in the scoring of tries is actually measured and recorded as a stat. You can see this stat in the Fox Sports Lab. Yeo has been involved in a total of five tries this year. Of the forwards, Martin and Kikau are above him with 7 and 9 involvements respectively. He has 1 try assist and Martin and Kikau have two. By way of comparison, Cordner has 5 try involvements and he has only played 9 games and Jake Trbojevic has 7.

As for delivering metres and tackles and after ignoring the backs, in the position of second row, he is:
  • 4th in the NRL for run metres per game (9th in the position of lock) - 125m (Martin 84m and Kikau 78m);
  • 2nd in the NRL for tackles per game (6th in the position of lock) - 37 (Martin 29 and Kikau 20);
  • Equal 2nd in the NRL for effective tackle percentage (equal 3rd in the position of lock) - 94% (Martin 87 and Kikau 86).
Incidentally, when looking at Yeo's stats I stumbled across the fact that the Panther's highest effective tackle percentage is Tamou at 96%. But what shocked me was that Leniu's percentage is the same as Yeo's at 94%! He is 19 and playing in the toughest position at prop! This kid is Special, with a capital "S"!

Anyway, back to Yeo, overall, those are hugely impressive stats. He has a great motor and is the consummate team player. I think he is an elite workhorse, but not really crucial to our attack directly. He contributes by helping lay the platform to create space for others, not only by his runs but also by tackling the opposition so they can't make metres. He is an integral part of "The Black Wall". Thou shall not pass.
If you go through Penrith game highlights videos for this season you'll see how often he starts off the backline movement when a try involved. It's not something stats record.

Last edited:

Latest posts