What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Art Of Class War - The Monthly Article

Perth Red

Post Whore
I said they are both biased for the 1k time.Any one who sees my posts against Murdoch/Sloth/Hooper/Crawley might get the idea.You tend to live in a bubble if you believe I narrate all the crap News deals up.I cancelled my Pay TV subs with Foxte last year,hardly a sign of bowing to that mob.
Yet your mate PR has no trouble linking/quoting News Ltd to try and back up his arguments.

I take little notice of what New's propaganda said ATT of Smith's move.I saw him at his press conference (on his own) bragging on about the deal he did with ch9.No sign of any member of the Commission in attendance.Why? Every other deal has had at least 3-4 in attendance including the Tv execs.

I watched the AFL TV deal announcement ,and Murdoch's comments about the NRL and AFL being the better code.And even Roy Masters state ,the AFL got extra loot.due to Smith going feral.

I heard Smith admit he knew little about rugby league and certainly its politics on his appointment.And it showed.Yet you seemed to ignore it.

IMO Smith lost the confidence of the board, the clubs, just like Greenberg.And guess what that happens in big business.Ask Amp,and the Banks.Smith took on board high flying people(consultants) on high salaries one who two who performed ,the remainder heard little about them.
And BTW V'Landys wasn't on deck ,so you can't blame him on Smith.

As far as V'Landys and Abdo go.It's all out there what has happened this year getting the code up and running and having to negotiate old and new TV deals.That's got zero to do with what News thinks.that is what happened.Even PR's AFL got the sh*ts because the NRL started on 28th May.
And any leader who gets under the skin of the opposition, when they have been doing the same to the NRL for years, gets my vote.
In the end it's the board who decides, not News ,not Fairfax.
So bud don't try and tell me how or what I think, if Abdo stuffs up and indeed V'Landys they won't get any sugar coating from me.

what is your opinion on Vlandys cutting Telstra out of the extension without even speaking to them, costing the game at least $100mill?

taipan

Referee
what is your opinion on Vlandys cutting Telstra out of the extension without even speaking to them, costing the game at least $100mill?

V"landys has retained digital rights .That could well be worth more than the $100m.In any case under current circumstances with Telstra cutting back on costs ,with a drop in their profits and the comparison in the AFL/NRL deals and the additional publicity Telstra does with the AFL, perhaps V'Landys thought we got the wrong end of the pineapple.I'm sure with your insider's knowledge you can ferret this out.

Why is your opinion of yourself being immediately negative about every new CEO who starts at the NRL, ditto Chairman.Not even hit the ground running?
What is wrong with in house promotion? Plenty of companies do it.

Why did you support Smith, spending huge sums on consultants ,when results were few and far between.?
Why did you consistently bag Greenberg, then when he got flicked cry?

Why do you bag V'Landys/Abdo's Tv deal with the Foxtel extension, which was kept in confidence, just like the Qld Govt is keeping the money they are spending on the AFL Grand Final and boosting grassroots is kept in confidence?

Why did you bag the renegotiated COVID TV deal, yet the AFL took a financial hit in theirs, and in both cases you had no idea of the figures?
Why do you pretend to know the ins and outs of Sydney NRL clubs ,their fans' knowledge of transport issues, when you may as well be in the Sahara?Then continually promote they should be axed ?

I could throw in a lot more questions, and you'll come up with your usual bitter spiel.It's father's day, time to be happy.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
So smith was rogue for getting the biggest ever fta dealmwith Ch9 without speaking with fox but vlandys and abdo are smart for selling streaming rights to fox and cutting out Telstra without even speaking to them? Hmmmmm.
As for the rest, yawn. Old ground we’ve been over a hundred times.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Sorry bud you wrote all that but didn't answer the question I asked....why did the AFL only sign with News until 2022....the world's caving in don't they want 7 year security like us....

Yes we were first to get going and Pete v got alot of brownie points....which now means what???????
Bigger crowds...bigger tv audiences...more sponsors....more money....global audience....

taipan

Referee
So smith was rogue for getting the biggest ever fta dealmwith Ch9 without speaking with fox but vlandys and abdo are smart for selling streaming rights to fox and cutting out Telstra without even speaking to them? Hmmmmm.
As for the rest, yawn. Old ground we’ve been over a hundred times.

Your the one who complained asking ,e about Telstra not being told, yet you have been quite happy for ages for News not to be told, the NRL would not be working on the same format when negotiating TV deals as they have done for years prior.
Despite Smith going rogue the NRL got a lot less than overall than the AFL.The AFL according to the Masters(not a News lackey) of this world got extra loot because of this.
Of course the last para gets to you, you see the world through negativity.

taipan

Referee
Sorry bud you wrote all that but didn't answer the question I asked....why did the AFL only sign with News until 2022....the world's caving in don't they want 7 year security like us....

Yes we were first to get going and Pete v got alot of brownie points....which now means what???????
Bigger crowds...bigger tv audiences...more sponsors....more money....global audience....

Well bud. Ever thought the possibility that the NRL was concerned and rightly so of the after effects of COVID would run for many years.Your PR mate, has laughingly compared COVID effects to the GFC,which any economist, banker etc would ROFL.Oh and scoop ,we are now in a recession.

The AFL were slow off the mark getting their comp upland its possible they thought they would not be affected as much.They took a financial hit by having to have all those teams move to Qld.
They got a deal according to media(yes not confirmed) of $1bn over the 5 year, because all deals are done in confidence, including the AFL.
News ATM is trying to cut back on Cricket deals because ,wait for it,the media is is deep sh*t around the world with falling revenues.
Maybe you should ask why the AFL extended a cut price extension (according to the media) of their current TV deal to end 2024 with FTA ch7.If they were so certain of themselves why not hold back?

A dumb final para hardly worthy of any response.
Considering we are in the midst of a health pandemic and financial disaster,getting the code up and running ASAP(2 weeks early) was to bring extra TV revenue in ,that would otherwise have not been obtained.That's two weeks extra revenue the other codes did not get.
Also provided an extra couple of weeks to get as many rounds in as humanly possible.
You'd be one the first to complain if there codes got up a couple of weeks earlier, stating the admin is asleep at the wheel.
How dare the NRL attempt to maximise their revenue in times such as these.And gain revenue certainty with their major TV broadcasting outlet til end 2027.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Your the one who complained asking ,e about Telstra not being told, yet you have been quite happy for ages for News not to be told, the NRL would not be working on the same format when negotiating TV deals as they have done for years prior.
Despite Smith going rogue the NRL got a lot less than overall than the AFL.The AFL according to the Masters(not a News lackey) of this world got extra loot because of this.
Of course the last para gets to you, you see the world through negativity.

but why sell the rights to fox and not offer streaming rights to Telstra? A decision that has cost the game at last $100million. What’s your take on why he would do that? Maybe he has sold exclusive streaming rights to fox without putting them out to tender so you think? You’ve spent years slamming Smith for doing the same thing.

as for the last rights, smith got more from fta than afl got. Let that sink in for a minute. No one has achieved that since before SL.
He wasn’t around to get an equally good deal from Fox. Maybe that’s why we got less than afl?

Perth Red

Post Whore
How dare the NRL attempt to maximise their revenue in times such as these.And gain revenue certainty with their major TV broadcasting outlet til end 2027.

McLachlan has confirmed the deal is worth $146mill annual avg over the 5 years. He’s not as shy as Vlandys to tell us what they got.

Maximise revenue? By cutting out a $20mill revenue from Telstra?

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Well bud. Ever thought the possibility that the NRL was concerned and rightly so of the after effects of COVID would run for many years.Your PR mate, has laughingly compared COVID effects to the GFC,which any economist, banker etc would ROFL.Oh and scoop ,we are now in a recession.

The AFL were slow off the mark getting their comp upland its possible they thought they would not be affected as much.They took a financial hit by having to have all those teams move to Qld.
They got a deal according to media(yes not confirmed) of $1bn over the 5 year, because all deals are done in confidence, including the AFL.
News ATM is trying to cut back on Cricket deals because ,wait for it,the media is is deep sh*t around the world with falling revenues.
Maybe you should ask why the AFL extended a cut price extension (according to the media) of their current TV deal to end 2024 with FTA ch7.If they were so certain of themselves why not hold back?

A dumb final para hardly worthy of any response.
Considering we are in the midst of a health pandemic and financial disaster,getting the code up and running ASAP(2 weeks early) was to bring extra TV revenue in ,that would otherwise have not been obtained.That's two weeks extra revenue the other codes did not get.
Also provided an extra couple of weeks to get as many rounds in as humanly possible.
You'd be one the first to complain if there codes got up a couple of weeks earlier, stating the admin is asleep at the wheel.

It wasn't a race to be first...
I think the AFL would be just as concerned for the future as league no matter the perception created by the news Ltd propaganda machine...sorry I mean media.
Yet the only signed until 2022 and tied up free to air....which is the dead duck of media....wise move.

So again I ask why wouldn't they do a longer deal...both sports have the same concerns and threats.
What do they know that big Pete v doesn't??

taipan

Referee
but why sell the rights to fox and not offer streaming rights to Telstra? A decision that has cost the game at last $100million. What’s your take on why he would do that? Maybe he has sold exclusive streaming rights to fox without putting them out to tender so you think? You’ve spent years slamming Smith for doing the same thing.

as for the last rights, smith got more from fta than afl got. Let that sink in for a minute. No one has achieved that since before SL.
He wasn’t around to get an equally good deal from Fox. Maybe that’s why we got less than afl?

Because the Rl are waiting to negotiate the next contracts with FTA stations.Having the digital up your sleeve is another arrow in the quiver.
Smith didn't get the full rights FTA and pay.So you can't compare. Anycase the AFL did better as Smith went rushing in ignoring a major partner in the broadcast side.I am still waiting for someone to tell me why he was left to announce the FTA deal, when no other NRL execs were with him.Never happened before or since.
One more time since post SL, the AFL has consistently got better deals than the NRL..That has given them more opportunities.The past deal makers for the NRLnand News have a lot to answer for.

taipan

Referee
McLachlan has confirmed the deal is worth $146mill annual avg over the 5 years. He’s not as shy as Vlandys to tell us what they got.

Maximise revenue? By cutting out a $20mill revenue from Telstra?

By holding back an asset, that hasn't been released and will be used as a future negotiation lever, that's why .Especially with ch7 indicating they wouldn't mind Rugby league, and they are getting the sh*ts with cricket and may toss them, with 9 wanting in.
Remember it was you that reckoned VLandys would flog off digital ,telling us so on this site.

Plus ensure financial certainty til end of 2027 from your major broadcasting partner.<ore so as broadcasting companies are going to feel the pinch even more so down the line.

LOL.Then why does the Qld Govt and the AFL not announce the amount of money the AFL is getting for the G/F in Brisbane.Particularly whenever a major NRL event is staged in a city, the figure is announced.

So Gil makes an announcement of a figure ,ever thought it may be inflated for public and competitive purposes, as it was a later announcement?Often it is suggested when the NRL makes a deal, but, but what about the non cash contras?
The AFL at times keeps their cards close to their chests, and Vlad is doing the same.

Because way back a certain um and aaghing CEO stated publicly he cracked a record 6 year deal for the NRL $500m.A couple of weeks later the AFL came in with $780m over 5 years.
Sometimes it pays CEOs to STFU,else end up with egg on face.

taipan

Referee
It wasn't a race to be first...
I think the AFL would be just as concerned for the future as league no matter the perception created by the news Ltd propaganda machine...sorry I mean media.
Yet the only signed until 2022 and tied up free to air....which is the dead duck of media....wise move.

So again I ask why wouldn't they do a longer deal...both sports have the same concerns and threats.
What do they know that big Pete v doesn't??

Never said it was.But it was for the NRL anyway a race to get the code up and running because each weekend they were not playing was costing the game tens of millions of dollars.
The fact AFL people bagged the NRL for getting it up on 28th May, showed them it was possible with the right protocols that a code(NRL) could do it.At the same time ,by getting the code up and running, meant there was no excuse for Skidmarks of 9 to renege on the TV deal that was renegotiated.
It had nothing to do with News ltd propaganda, the getting up on 28th May was well publicised by media organisations and social media throughout the country.
Project Apollo had zero to do with News Ltd, remember we are not half owned by that grubby organisation, but Pearce, Troy Grant ,Abdo etc were involved ensuring all protocols were in place.

Mate we have to accept the horrible fact Nes for good or bad, is a major revenue source for the NRL.They have skewered my club numerous times.
The AFL actually signed up til end 2024 extending by 2 years.And the COVID situation got worse for them ,since, as Vic clubs had to go to Qld at AFLs expense.Extra costs they couldn't allow for ATT of teh 7 deal.
These are uncertain times.broadcasters around the world are feeling the pinch, check any overseas news source.
Once again I repeat , the NRL under uncertain times have locked in certain income til end 2027, from their major broadcast revenue provider.Bearing in mind the NRL did not have to touch their line of credit of $250m(which they may have had to if they didn't start on 28th May).
They now have ch7 expressing interest in the NRL, so holding back on digital and not having.a deal with 9, creates competitive tension for 2023.

The AFL have taken a gamble ,that either things will improve, the big organisations like Google etc might get involved.A lot of ifs.
The NRL does not have assets, the AFL does with Marvel Stadium.Both codes are slashing costs including head office.
This is nothing like the GFC.I'd suggest the country will continue to have high unemployment ,meaning less bums on seats for games, so any major revenue from other sources is vital for a code's survival.

Vlad may well be involved in the racing/gambling industry, but his conservative accounting background suggests in my book, he wants certainty of long term revenue to safety code the clubs.
And also if as stated by media that the AFL is expecting a $400m loss, why would you gamble on what may or may not happen.but tie in long term deals to give clubs some security.By the extension of FTA by only 2 years, even ch7 hasn't got a clue what the situation will be.Ditto for ch9.

All I know now the country is in recession a pretty bad one, playing wait and see for Tv deals is risky.Check the ARU,A League .There is not the money going around for Tv stations.ad revenue is cactus, people are being sacked .Ch10 is now living on the a*se of its pants.
Sorry,I want some degree of certainty for revenue.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Because the Rl are waiting to negotiate the next contracts with FTA stations.Having the digital up your sleeve is another arrow in the quiver.
Smith didn't get the full rights FTA and pay.So you can't compare. Anycase the AFL did better as Smith went rushing in ignoring a major partner in the broadcast side.I am still waiting for someone to tell me why he was left to announce the FTA deal, when no other NRL execs were with him.Never happened before or since.
One more time since post SL, the AFL has consistently got better deals than the NRL..That has given them more opportunities.The past deal makers for the NRLnand News have a lot to answer for.

You think Ch9 are going to pay up big for joint streaming rights with Kayo? lol.
Smith signed the biggest FTA TV deal in the games history, thats a fact. Who knows what he might have done with Fox if Grant hadnt capitulated to big bad Rupert.
Well Vlandys just announced the Fox extension on his own, maybe the ARLC board actually thought it wa sa good idea to let the CEO do his job?
On this we can agree, apart from Smith's Ch9 deal we have lost out each time, and probably will this time in all reality. Losing your balls half way through negotiations and sacking your CEO at the behest of the Tv company is hardly helping the cause.

I suspect Fox's issues were in the hard ball style of Smith, not in his lack of conversation wit them, especially when you read media reports at the time like this which clearly indicate that discussions were underway alongside the FTA discussions"

"Mr Smith said that, while the initial focus had been on free to air rights, the NRL had already held extensive discussions with a number of operators involved in pay television and streaming rights.

The digital media market is changing rapidly and it is our view that new and exciting opportunities will develop with Fox Sports and other providers,” he said.

“By 2018, the digital world will be very different and we want to be in the best possible position to take advantage of any changes.

“So negotiations with the pay tv and digital providers will continue and, again, our focus will be on ensuring the most widespread coverage on whatever platform fans choose to watch rugby league.” "

https://westernweekender.com.au/2015/08/nrl-announces-new-record-tv-deal/

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
By holding back an asset, that hasn't been released and will be used as a future negotiation lever, that's why .Especially with ch7 indicating they wouldn't mind Rugby league, and they are getting the sh*ts with cricket and may toss them, with 9 wanting in.
Remember it was you that reckoned VLandys would flog off digital ,telling us so on this site.

Plus ensure financial certainty til end of 2027 from your major broadcasting partner.<ore so as broadcasting companies are going to feel the pinch even more so down the line.

LOL.Then why does the Qld Govt and the AFL not announce the amount of money the AFL is getting for the G/F in Brisbane.Particularly whenever a major NRL event is staged in a city, the figure is announced.

So Gil makes an announcement of a figure ,ever thought it may be inflated for public and competitive purposes, as it was a later announcement?Often it is suggested when the NRL makes a deal, but, but what about the non cash contras?
The AFL at times keeps their cards close to their chests, and Vlad is doing the same.

Because way back a certain um and aaghing CEO stated publicly he cracked a record 6 year deal for the NRL $500m.A couple of weeks later the AFL came in with $780m over 5 years.
Sometimes it pays CEOs to STFU,else end up with egg on face.

He's signed the streaming rights to Fox as part of the extension lol. No one else is buying all 8 games streaming, you can put your house on that. IF it was the case why would you cut Telstra out without even speaking with them? surely you'd give them first opportunity to make you an offer given they are paying AFL $50mill a year! The FTA deal will include the streaming rights for just the FTA games, as it is now.
Foxsports future is increasingly Kayo over the next 7 years, the exclusive 8 game streaming rights are already locked away, mark my words.

We dont know where the "$40-50mill" in cost savings is coming from, I wouldn't be too hasty about the digital investment!

The actual Govt investment figure is never announced, its guessed at by media. Tell me how much WA paid for Origin for example. I've seen media from $2mill-$10mill mentioned.They are already counter arguing the how ever many millions paid by putting out stories it will generate $17mill for the State lol.

Ah so after being proven that in fact announcements have been made your now suggesting he may be lying? Someones reaching lol

Like said, no one in last 20 years has refused to share details of a TV deal, this is the first time. We should be suspicious.

Article from February this year

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/v-...nberg-future-grows-murky-20200227-p544z5.html

OPINION

V'landys' secret Murdoch meeting as Greenberg future grows murky

Andrew Webster
Chief Sports Writer

Rugby league executives have been clocking up the frequent flyer points in the past two weeks, jetting from one side of the world to the other.

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg was in the UK last week for the Roosters’ successful World Club Challenge campaign, while ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys and chief commercial officer Andrew Abdo were in the US this week.

his remarks at a Carbine Club lunch at the Magic Millions racing carnival in early January about juggling his day job as Racing NSW chief executive while ruling rugby league stirred plenty of chatter in both sports.

“I'll decide in the next 12 months,” V'landys told the room, according to several people at the function. “If I see that I can't do both, I will have to make a decision.”

fa6c08989dc1e73d162a783fa8c3c0910c3db33b

Power player: Lachlan Murdoch with father Rupert.CREDIT:BLOOMBERG

V’landys’ contract with Racing NSW ends at the end of this year, having taken over as chief executive in 2004 and fought — and won — many, many battles.

Rugby league is a different beast, though. In racing, V’landys owns the room. In rugby league, he remains an outsider.

He runs racing through fear and has adopted a similar approach at League Central, promising to sack anybody who leaks sensitive information to the media.

He also made it very clear at his introductory media conference as chairman that he will live and die by the size of the next broadcast deal.

He promised a “better result” than the current deal of $1.8 billion with Channel Nine (publisher of this masthead) and Fox Sports.

This coming season is the third of a five-year deal, but negotiations have been cranked up early because the NRL is wrestling with the idea of expanding its so-called “footprint” from 2023. If new teams are to be part of the next broadcast deal, they will need to be set-up sooner than later.

V’landys tripped himself up last year when he declared in The Courier-Mail he wanted a second team in Brisbane, in a 17-team competition, with Perth to be snubbed because it's an AFL city.

EXCLUSIVE
NRL 2020

NRL expected to announce $30m profit for 2019 despite horror off-season
Many within the game considered the interview to be grandstanding. At the very least, it caught a lot of people off-guard. Why he would make such bold statements about what “the footprint” would look like without first consulting its key stakeholders?

His trip to the US with Abdo and not Greenberg has been interpreted by some club bosses as a sign that V’landys wants to cut Greenberg out of the broadcast deal. It’s no secret that V’landys is a huge supporter of Abdo.

Greenberg attended the WCC after Roosters chairman Nick Politis complained about the lack of any NRL officials at last year’s match against Wigan. He also met with key Super League stakeholders, as well as Australian High Commissioner to the UK, George Brandis, about the Kangaroo tour at the end of this season.

Abdo was supposed to be on the same trip but was a sudden withdrawal before being redirected to the US with V'landys.

(For the purposes of transparency, this column covered the Roosters’ WCC campaign as a guest of the NRL).

ARL Commission sources say the board has been split about Greenberg’s contract being extended. Is Greenberg the right man for the game’s most thankless job — even if it does pay upwards of $1.2 million a year plus bonuses?

The announcement on Thursday of a $30m profit for last season suggests he’s doing OK, although club chief executives will grill him at the annual general meeting about the game’s costs.

31ee50eee92e12d9b3deecaaafe080c49bebbb6e

Peter V'landys and Todd Greenberg ... Can they work together?CREDIT:EDWINA PICKLES

There’s still a belief, certainly among the clubs and the states, that Greenberg is more worried about surviving than having vision; about perception and optics.

He’s made some mistakes but had several wins, and at the very least the game cannot really afford to sack another chief executive and find a new one, especially this close to the start of the season. Better the devil you know and all that.

Should he survive, it will be compelling viewing as he goes about his business for the next two years with V’landys sitting on his shoulder.

They are two different types of sports administrators: Greenberg is a slick media performer who also has the ear of Premier Gladys Berejiklian. V'landys loathes ceremony, avoids a microphone at all costs, and works brilliantly in the shadows.

The game probably needs both but, as it stands, you can fit several cigarette papers between both of them.
Greenberg deserved to be sacked. He didn't do anything positive for the game and was more concerned with making himself look good by going along with whatever social cause was in fashion. If he was still in charge there wouldn't be any talk of Brisbane 2.

taipan

Referee
He's signed the streaming rights to Fox as part of the extension lol. No one else is buying all 8 games streaming, you can put your house on that. IF it was the case why would you cut Telstra out without even speaking with them? surely you'd give them first opportunity to make you an offer given they are paying AFL $50mill a year! The FTA deal will include the streaming rights for just the FTA games, as it is now.
Foxsports future is increasingly Kayo over the next 7 years, the exclusive 8 game streaming rights are already locked away, mark my words.

We dont know where the "$40-50mill" in cost savings is coming from, I wouldn't be too hasty about the digital investment!

The actual Govt investment figure is never announced, its guessed at by media. Tell me how much WA paid for Origin for example. I've seen media from $2mill-$10mill mentioned.They are already counter arguing the how ever many millions paid by putting out stories it will generate $17mill for the State lol.

Ah so after being proven that in fact announcements have been made your now suggesting he may be lying? Someones reaching lol

Like said, no one in last 20 years has refused to share details of a TV deal, this is the first time. We should be suspicious.

Sorry to spoil the party. LOL .Telstra to lose mobile rights (Sports Business Media)"It's a sub licensing deal with Pay-television broadcaster Foxtel.The SMH reported yesterday 3/6 that the NRL has blocked Foxtel from sub licensing the rights in the next cycle ,under a new deal agreed last week, covering 2023-2027.
The Sydney Morning Herald report said the NRL was holding back the mobile rights primarily to boost the exclusive rights it could offer to FTA partner Nine in upcoming renewal talks .The league is said to be keen to secure a 5 year extension with Nine for 2023-2027.Nine could potentially use the mobile rights for its streaming app.9Now.
The full details of Foxtel's extension for 2023-2027 have not be unveiled, but it's known that, as it did in the current cycle, the NRL has held back for FTA television exclusive rights to the Grand Final and SOO games."

AFL got $50m pa from Telstra and the NRL: got $20m under current deal.Who is screwing who?
The old deal was a lucrative perk Telstra could offer its customers (A free NRL Live Pass) all games on smartphones."My free access to NRL app as a Telstra mobile customer takes away one big reason to consider subscribing to Foxtel or Kayo said Morningstar analyst Brian Han."

Another point "News Corp treated Foxtel as its own business ,something to grow. Telstra meanwhile
has historically viewed Foxtel as a defensive asset-a way of blocking competition."

Not lying whiner just providing facts.Perhaps unpalatable for you.

This coming from a guy, who praised Smith for going to Nine for a deal,,without having the decency to go to the other partner to state his intention.Yet the NRL did not contact Telstra and this same guy from WA is bagging the NRL for doing exactly what Smith did ,keeping a broadcasting partner out of the equation. You can't be serious LOL.From the same guy whose club ,went out on a limb and went to SL, without a by your leave to the ARL admin.

"Mark your words' Your arrogance shines through like a beam of light in a cave.

Abdo has been spending some time looking at where cost savings can be made.That is not a scoop, but stated by Vlad.

FYI to come out and say we are taking it (cost cuts)from here.....,when only in the last day or so, the RLPA and the NRL finally agreed to the 30 man squads ,when the NRL was looking at 28 man squads.So of course to say the $40-50m will be coming from here ,is premature ,colour me surprised.

"None in the last 20 years has refused to share details of a TV deal" Source and or links covering every deal?

Anyone with half a clue under the current recession/COVID drama in this country,(although you believe it's no worse than the GFC LOL),would understand sporting organisations which have had to renegotiate new deals with current contracts or negotiate future contracts when dealing with TV broadcasters(already in financial difficulties) would want to keep the info close to their chests.

For the AFL to state they got a better deal than the NRL in the renegotiation, when Vlad didn't state an amount(in commercial confidence), is laughable.I earn more money than you, but I don't know what you're earning .But, but the media says it's such and such.

In fact the Herald FWIW noted" The NRL has taken a vow of silence in regards to the details of its extension with Foxtel to assist the pay television network's negotiations with the AFL"
SMH"In fact the AFL was not able to secure an extended with Foxtel, presumably because it would not agree to the discount its Pay tv partner sought.

The Herald again" Vlandys noted his Tv dealings have secured the long term future of the code, We're giving NRL clubs more money, the players have only taken a 20% cut and we've got no BORROWINGS."

Oh and as to betting revenue negotiated, "AFL is 2.5% Betfair ,the NRL will be 4 times more expensive."
NRL dudded LOL.
But you keep on looking for the negatives, even though at times when given positives you'll find a threatening cloud lurking on the horizon.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
And how convenient the media don't push him on it, if only they paid the same courtesy to those dastardly leaders we previously had.

Perth Red

Post Whore
And how convenient the media don't push him on it, if only they paid the same courtesy to those dastardly leaders we previously had.

the silence from the media questioning the deal is as deafening as the silence from nrlhq. But hey I’m sure tai is right and nothing to see here lol.