What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WTF Is going on ?

gordsy

Juniors
After reading this I have some real concerns. ,

1) The players are dogs for doing this

2) Why did this happen ?

3) Do we have a massively split playing group where players just get in the car and drive home, how on earth will you get blokes wanting to play for one and other when this happens

4) What will the punishment be for this and how will Madge react

5) I always thought Packer was a stupid merkin but Reynolds never struck me as this sort of a bloke

6) Is Madge really a part of the problem and if so how do we fix it ?

7) Can we pension off Packer or at least ban him from training and having anything to do with the club if we can't pension him off or piss him off to another club

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/n...h/news-story/d59bd625543b7e0b3372151f3713cd0f

NRL: $1.6m Tigers duo’s mid-match walkout during Manly Sea Eagles clash

Two of the Wests Tigers’ biggest stars abandoned their teammates at halftime during their must-win clash on the weekend.

Nic Savage

@nic_savage1

C:\Users\Poombi\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png

September 6, 20209:52pm

Foxsports3:00

Tigers shellshock Manly

NRL: The Wests Tigers have claimed an incredible come-from-behind win over the Manly Sea Eagles at Lottoland.

Two Wests Tigers stars reportedly walked out of Brookvale Oval during Saturday evening’s match against the Manly Sea Eagles.

As revealed by The Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield, five-eighth Josh Reynolds and forward Russell Packer abandoned their teammates at halftime with the Tigers trailing 20-12.

According to the report, Reynolds and Packer left the dugout and entered their cars, missing their club’s stunning comeback victory in the second half. The Tigers scored three tries in the last 12 minutes of their round 17 fixture to secure an unforgettable 34-32 win.

When quizzed about the duo’s disappearance, Tigers coach Michael Maguire conceded he was unaware they had left the ground but also downplayed the issue.

“There’s no hard and fast rule they have to be at games,” Maguire told The Daily Telegraph.

“Russ was our 19th man, and Josh came to be around the boys.

“They didn’t really give me a reason – they just said they were cold and wanted to go home.”

Reynolds and Packer are collectively on a $1.6 million annual salary with the club.

Speaking to the Sydney Morning Herald, Tigers chairman Lee Hagipantelis confirmed the two players were not obligated to attend the match, but admitted it was “not a good look”.

“Russell had to warm up with the team as 19th man, but Josh didn’t even warm up with the team. Both players have acknowledged their action creates a perception, but perception is not reality,” Hagipantelis said on Sunday.

“I have spoken to both of them and they’ve acknowledge it wasn’t a good look. There was no intention on their part to show disrespect or a lack of unity. Russell suffers from an arthritic condition and had multiple surgeries in his foot to try and help him play again. Sitting there in the cold does affect him, that is true.”

On Tuesday, the Wests Tigers confirmed veteran player Benji Marshall would be axed following the 2020 season’s conclusion.

Marshall has managed 13 try assists this season, the most for the Tigers and fourth-highest for the entire competition.

It continues a tough old week for the Tigers with the players at the struggling club’s reportedly confronting Maguire in a heated team meeting on Tuesday, claiming the roster felt as though they were “walking on eggshells”.

Speaking on NRL 360, Fox Sports reporter James Hooper revealed the squad told Maguire his brutal selection process was having a detrimental effect on the players.

Wests Tigers coach Michael Maguire.Source:News Corp Australia

“Apparently there was a really heated team meeting at Concord today where Michael Maguire, the way he likes to do business was being very direct and blunt,” Hooper said on Tuesday.

“A couple of the players said, ‘Madge, it’s not working. The way we’re doing things is not working.’

“They all said, ‘We’re walking on eggshells. Everybody’s scared that if you put in one bad performance, you’ll be dropped.’

“Madge has gone around the whole side, and they all said, ‘Yes, I agree, that’s how I’m feeling’.

The Tigers currently sit at ninth spot on the NRL ladder having won seven of their 17 encounters this season. For their next fixture, they will come up against the South Sydney Rabbitohs on Thursday evening at Bankwest Stadium.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/n...h/news-story/d59bd625543b7e0b3372151f3713cd0f

Shredder

Juniors
Reynolds wasnt required to be at the game.

Packer was 19th man and wasnt required to stay after the opening whistle.

Its a nothing story, but shows more media leaks at the club. How the f**k would a reporter know if someone (anyone) leaves a game?

Madge conceded there are no rules around staying or even going if your not in the 19.

I agree it looks poor, but it shouldnt even be in the press.

Tigerm

First Grade
Reynolds wasnt required to be at the game.

Packer was 19th man and wasnt required to stay after the opening whistle.

Its a nothing story, but shows more media leaks at the club. How the f**k would a reporter know if someone (anyone) leaves a game?

Madge conceded there are no rules around staying or even going if your not in the 19.

I agree it looks poor, but it shouldnt even be in the press.
OK good, I wasn't sure if there was a penalty, poor form but not much else by the looks.

Tiger05

First Grade
It's poor form from two players who have delivered f**k all and who show no respect at all for the club. We can't do anything about it but the sooner we piss these overpaid shit players off our books the better.

Slow day in the media guys,given it’s not a good look, but if there are no set rules regarding attendance for players not selected in the team than it’s hard to be too critical of them.
Generally, I thought it would of been mandatory for all fit and capable squad players to attend and show their support and unity for each other and the team.

Tigerm

First Grade
TIGERS IN CRISIS !!!
Just reading that stuff, we have played shit most of the year, but didn't look like a team in crisis,in that last 10 mins, if we were they would have given up.
I think what Reynolds & Packer did was poor, there was no rule to say they couldn't.
I still think the Fox/DT blokes are giving it to us over Benji.

Tiger05

First Grade
He’s had operations on his ankle/foot so he’s got residual pain from that and worse in winter prob..OH&S

We all know that this is BS. Apparently the players also said it was BS. They made a mistake. We can't sack them although that would be great.

Tiger05

First Grade
I guess the question to ask is ,, Is it better for a player to turn up and watch half a game .....or be one of the dozen or so other players that didnt turn up at all?

Don't turn up. The problem is that they created attention for the wrong reasons. It's poor form though.

Move on, it's been put to bed.
A bad look, yes, Management have made their statements.

I think it's sports journalists with an agenda that's more the problem (today's there's articles about Nine/SMH journalists not wanting Griffin at St George) they are scum.

Is there someone within the Tigers passing on this 5hit to the journalist ? (get rid of them 1st).

Is it to push Tigers out of town (relocate)? Who knows?
Is it because of how Marshall was (reportedly) treated? Who knows?

As benched tiger stated:
Slow day in the media guys,given it’s not a good look, but if there are no set rules regarding attendance for players not selected in the team than it’s hard to be too critical of them.
Generally, I thought it would of been mandatory for all fit and capable squad players to attend and show their support and unity for each other and the team.

Latest posts