What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blake Lawrie

slippery5

Juniors
Useless and slow .
Every F'n week he is responsible for a opposition try because he is too slow getting up in a tackle completed, where they either barge over on the line, or in tonights case too slow getting up, causing the opposition to place the ball on his hands resulting in a penalty & then a try next tackle.

Have always felt he is plenty tough enough, packs a wallop in defence and shoukd only improve after being given a lot of trust early by Mary. Still very young by prop standards.

His tackle efficiency in the middle of the park is his best asset. Rarely misses and often hits hard.

Yet the constant frustration with him is that he still plods, struggles to break the line, has not improved on already modest ball skill and is a liability in defence near the line. He is very slow to react and get low in these situations. Attackers look for him. Conceded a few soft tries in this fashion.

The tackle over the top with McIness around the legs tonight just had to be made but he fell off meekly.

On the credit side of the ledger he is always having a real go and always thereabouts when the tough stuff needs doing. Would also add that he’s suffered for a lack of dominant go-forward on the rotation over the past couple of years to lighten the load.

He needs a lot more work and should not be a starting forward. More fitness Is required, more mobility. He needs to develop some methods to break tackles. He’s a good hard runner but poses no real threat to the defence without any footwork or leg drive to speak of or an ability to stand and offload.

Far too often he is dropped like a bag of chaff, especially out of our own end.

All that said, I do think he’s played his best football to date over the past month or so with not much support, The highlight being his game against the Eels In the wet which was by far his best for the club.

There’s a good player in there somewhere. He gobbled up his share of metres tonight and made 47 tackles. That’s Usually a handy night’s work but costly lapses near the line and pedestrian carting of the ball is holding him back.

Maddragon99

Juniors
I posted in another thread. The team is asking a lot of him at the moment. Vaughan is out, Graham is gone. Korbin Sims is injured. Lawrie was never meant to be a starting prop in 2020. He’s still developing & I have no doubt his best footy is still ahead of him.

Assuming Vaughan gets his head out of his ass next year & gets back to his best we are a quality prop short to start with him. The club needs to offer big coin to sign Jack Hetherington then we’ll have a awesome rotation in 2021

possm

Coach
We have enough backrowers. We should buy Welch and that's all. Our forwards were greatv last night and all that they need is game time. All we need is a super fast winger/centre who can score length of the field tries which could be Ramsey. Ellis looks all class.
Welch has knocked us back and decided to stay with the Storm.

possm

Coach
Our forwards will get annihalated by the Storm or Roosters at full strength. We need an urgent injection of power. Find a couple of good up and coming Polynesians and get em in there ASAP.
Our recruitment finds it difficult to identify good talent and also sign good talant that comes onto the market. We need a good cleanout at the Dragons.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I posted in another thread. The team is asking a lot of him at the moment. Vaughan is out, Graham is gone. Korbin Sims is injured. Lawrie was never meant to be a starting prop in 2020. He’s still developing & I have no doubt his best footy is still ahead of him.

Assuming Vaughan gets his head out of his ass next year & gets back to his best we are a quality prop short to start with him. The club needs to offer big coin to sign Jack Hetherington then we’ll have a awesome rotation in 2021
His stats were still pretty decent outside McInnes who mad monster stats and I think Friz who’s run metres looked a bit better due to a late break. Ellis had pretty decent stats too actually, maybe it’s time we started him.

Did someone mention Kane Evans?
1.He cannot bend his back & hit,
2. When he does put defence on the ground, they get to their feet before him leaving the defence short.
3. Runs straight & SLOW.
4. Couldn't bust a grape, let alone a tackle.

Sorry for being so negative, but can we get a fast hard running player that can bust tackles & offload. Brown showed him how someone of his statue should play.
We have Frizell but we have persisted with using him as a battering ram.
I know he can offload because I have seen him do it once in a blue moon.
That's why "Dragons Footy' is sooooo boring to watch.

I also think Lawrie is only going to get better.
He used to be a ball playing prop with a lot of ball skills but that has been systematically been coached out of him by McGregor.
The fact that his stats are improving shows that he is getting used to the rigors of FG.
I'd like to see him evolve into a ball playing prop instead of the one dimensional battering ram he is now.

blacksafake

First Grade
Have always felt he is plenty tough enough, packs a wallop in defence and shoukd only improve after being given a lot of trust early by Mary. Still very young by prop standards.

His tackle efficiency in the middle of the park is his best asset. Rarely misses and often hits hard.

Yet the constant frustration with him is that he still plods, struggles to break the line, has not improved on already modest ball skill and is a liability in defence near the line. He is very slow to react and get low in these situations. Attackers look for him. Conceded a few soft tries in this fashion.

The tackle over the top with McIness around the legs tonight just had to be made but he fell off meekly.

On the credit side of the ledger he is always having a real go and always thereabouts when the tough stuff needs doing. Would also add that he’s suffered for a lack of dominant go-forward on the rotation over the past couple of years to lighten the load.

He needs a lot more work and should not be a starting forward. More fitness Is required, more mobility. He needs to develop some methods to break tackles. He’s a good hard runner but poses no real threat to the defence without any footwork or leg drive to speak of or an ability to stand and offload.

Far too often he is dropped like a bag of chaff, especially out of our own end.

All that said, I do think he’s played his best football to date over the past month or so with not much support, The highlight being his game against the Eels In the wet which was by far his best for the club.

There’s a good player in there somewhere. He gobbled up his share of metres tonight and made 47 tackles. That’s Usually a handy night’s work but costly lapses near the line and pedestrian carting of the ball is holding him back.
I still remember him in the semi's against Broncos a couple of years ago where he really stood up to them as well as souths the following week. I thought those two games would be the making of him but he's been treading water since. Hopefully it's not too late for him.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I also think Lawrie is only going to get better.
He used to be a ball playing prop with a lot of ball skills but that has been systematically been coached out of him by McGregor.
The fact that his stats are improving shows that he is getting used to the rigors of FG.
I'd like to see him evolve into a ball playing prop instead of the one dimensional battering ram he is now.
Hope so Dennis, I’d love to see that!
Then again, I’d like to see that develop in most forwards. This metrics around ‘metres gained‘ in the modern day is bullshit and the games poorer for it. Battering rams used to be criticised but now hardly anyone ball distributes in the forwards. Its a crime that this skill is ‘coached out’ of them.

Maddragon99

Juniors
I still remember him in the semi's against Broncos a couple of years ago where he really stood up to them as well as souths the following week. I thought those two games would be the making of him but he's been treading water since. Hopefully it's not too late for him.

he’s not the only player to go backwards in development under McGuber so let’s give him a pass & see what happens in 2021

Maddragon99

Juniors
And now we are using McInnes as a battering ram

You can’t underestimate the domino effect of losing Jack de Belin these two years. McInnes is either going to wear out or pick up injuries he’s playing so far above his weight. de Belin was the one hitting like a hammer in the middle defence perfect technique. It’s actually quite unreasonable to expect McInnes to fill his shoes.

Old Timer

Coach
Precisely.

Would love him to just play hooker with an intelligent set of halves and a FB who plays similarly to Tedesco, Papanhuyzen, Brimson.

I truly believe then Cam would then blossom as a running 9 but we continue with Hunt who is a complete and utter dud, Norman who is the quintessential spectator for > 90% of any game and whilst I like Dufty in attack he hasn't adjusted to the simple technique of getting into dummy half and taking off rather than the wide sweeping plays he is now getting shut down on.

We just do so much so poorly and then rely on Mc Innes to make 40+ tackles, hit the ball up from our own 20 and then hit the line in attack 10m out in an effort to barge over.

Meanwhile Hunt and Norman are dishing off passes and keeping our forwards flat footed.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Yes, and the trouble is you admire their courage but it leads to a habit where no one then backs them up; no one backs up > no try’s. Fall back then to the bomb going up inside the opposition 20 metre line as a last resort. No try, but we did add another tick to the completion rate. Zzzzzzzzz

Dragon footy 2012- 2020. RIP, please...

Last edited:

The calm one

Juniors
Every F'n week he is responsible for a opposition try because he is too slow getting up in a tackle completed, where they either barge over on the line, or in tonights case too slow getting up, causing the opposition to place the ball on his hands resulting in a penalty & then a try next tackle.
I wish people would get off his back. It is common knowledge that the majority of props don't come good until there mid 20's. Half our forward pack is missing due to injuries, covid or court cases and this kid's workload has increased ten fold so what's the answer, criticise him. Give the kid a break

Latest posts