What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Coach 2021 and Beyond

Who do you want to see as Dragons coach?

• Total voters

TruSaint

Referee
Certainly sounds like David Furner would bring a level of professionalism to the club that we have not seen for 10 years.
At this stage I don’t care who they select, as long as it’s not Dean Young from inside the sheltered workshop.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/55f985dd6cef22f24d89d067a6de1c92

Thanks for that link.

I must say, it revealed parts of Furners career in a different light.

His winning % as a head coach is poor, but he has worked alongside some successful Clubs over a period of time.

I think delaying the announcement serves no one. Whoever it is. Reading between the lines its either Griffin or Furner.

We are already in September and have been realistically out of finals contention for some weeks. This disjointed board needs to show some fricken unity and whomever they appoint make it unanimous so we don't revisit more articles on internal divisions.

Get on with it please.

Last edited:

citizen

Juniors
When Mcgregor left he said he wanted to give Young the best possible chance by finishing with the Parra game and having him start with the 3 Qld teams.

It just shows how arrogant the coaching staff are. They truly underestimated the opposition thinking we would steamroll broncos, titans and cowboys. Subsequently it might give Dean the top job as a result.

We have no reason to treat any team with such complacency. With the season on the line they dish up that shit.

He is 1-3 and not looking like winning another game this season.

How any journo can spruik him as being the head coach has no idea about the game or they driving their own agendas.

Like others have said I love Deano for 2010 and all that but I’m starting to question if he is even good enough to be an assistant coach let alone the head coach.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Thanks for that link.

I must say, it revealed parts of Furners career in a different light.

His winning % as a head coach is poor, but he has worked alongside some successful Clubs over a period of time.

I think delaying the announcement serves no one. Whoever it is. Reading between the lines its either Griffin or Furner.

We are already in September and have been realistically out of finals contention for some weeks. This disjointed board needs to some some fricken unity and whomever they appoint make it unanimous so we don't revisit more articles on internal divisions.

Get on with it please.
Tru, another positive in regards to David Furner was he spent 6 years as the Assistant Coach to Tim Sheens for the Australian Kangaroos.
He certainly has plied his trade at NRL & Representative level and I’m sure has made handy contacts at the higher level.
Furner was probably chucked in to the Raiders coaching position when he was too young and inexperienced, just like Dean Young is now.
He’s gone away and worked as an assistant in 3 different clubs with success.

I’m slowly warming to him.

possm

Coach
We've had 9 years of mediocrity and finally get an opportunity to fix the HC issue and the best we can do is Furner?

What's wrong with Wane? What criteria doesn't he meet?

Is the club happy being mediocre year after year after year?
We have had 6 years of Club politics supporting Mary as coach. It was a nightmare and the Board should have leaned from that. No room for Young as head coach or assistant coach. Go and find a job else where.

TruSaint

Referee
Tru, another positive in regards to David Furner was he spent 6 years as the Assistant Coach to Tim Sheens for the Australian Kangaroos.
He certainly has plied his trade at NRL & Representative level and I’m sure has made handy contacts at the higher level.
Furner was probably chucked in to the Raiders coaching position when he was too young and inexperienced, just like Dean Young is now.

I must say I would be fine with him on a 2 year deal, with any option in Clubs favour.

We really need to get a move on. Contracts / extensions / recruitment don't happen overnight.

I know people are still waiting for Wane, but unless I have missed something, there has only been mention of him as an outside chance, and also his win ratio should be taken in context, that in the English Super League I believe only 4 clubs have won a title in 20 odd years, so the figures are tilted heavily towards those clubs. .

Our options are diabolically poor.

If we must choose one of Young, Griffin and Furner, the contract must be loaded with KPI’s and for a term of 2 years.

Alternatively give the job to Young for 12 months, with the prospect of signing Flanagan now upon the basis that the NRL allows him to be a head coach in 2022.

possm

Coach
I must say I would be fine with him on a 2 year deal, with any option in Clubs favour.

We really need to get a move on. Contracts / extensions / recruitment don't happen overnight.

I know people are still waiting for Wane, but unless I have missed something, there has only been mention of him as an outside chance, and also his win ratio should be taken in context, that in the English Super League I believe only 4 clubs have won a title in 20 odd years, so the figures are tilted heavily towards those clubs. .
If Young is the front runner, I'd like to see the Board wait until after the last round to announce a new head coach. Surely it would be hard for the Board to select Young with a 1 win, 5 losses record.

TruSaint

Referee
The advantage of having an outside coach is if we are performing badly the board won’t feel the need to keep holding on to them.

Yes, only issue is payout if things go sour, thus the need for a watertight agreement with a 2 year deal.
If they want 3 years, then year 3 is in our favour as an option.

SGMax

Juniors
The problem for the Dragons is they botched their attempt to sign their preferred option: Roosters assistant coach Craig Fitzgibbon.

The son of inaugural Illawarra coach Allan Fitzgibbon, the 43-year-old last month knocked back a three-year, $2 million approach from the Dragons.

That approach angered Roosters chairman Nick Politis because it was done behind his back.

What does it have to do with that jackass Politis anyway?
If we made an offer to Fitzgibbon, any existing contract issues to deal with, they are for Craig to sort out with his current employer.
You would think we were dealing with a child and needed permission from the parents to talk to him.
Any other employer would be pleased that his people were being offered opportunities to progress their career.

Old Timer

Coach
Yes, only issue is payout if things go sour, thus the need for a watertight agreement with a 2 year deal.
If they want 3 years, then year 3 is in our favour as an option.
If the coach is getting success then hopefully he will want to stay and see the job through.

If he isn’t getting success due to roster issues then hopefully we have the cash and the coach to attract the right player’s.

If the coach is diabolical and not the correct fit we need to get rid of him ASAP

So we need to have someone with real brains draft the contract so we don’t end up where we are now.

Whilst choosing the right coach is important having the correct contract might be even more so.

Dragon David

First Grade
Our options are diabolically poor.

If we must choose one of Young, Griffin and Furner, the contract must be loaded with KPI’s and for a term of 2 years.

Alternatively give the job to Young for 12 months, with the prospect of signing Flanagan now upon the basis that the NRL allows him to be a head coach in 2022.
I'm thinking that Flanagan has no interest in staying at the Dragons. I could be wrong but what has he contributed to our game plans and the way we play? I watched the Ben Hunt 250 games presentation on the Dragons website and noticed Flanagan not giving a rats about the goings on and no clapping.

His interests are elsewhere in my opinion. He already has had experience with our rabble of a club.

To me, we should have kept Mary for that last year of his contract even though we couldn't wait to see the back of him. During his last year he would have already been told that it would be his final year and we could have planned much better for the new coach for 2022 and onwards. Bennett, Bellamy, Fitzgibbon, Wane etc. could have been our targets, rather now having to choose from Griffin, Furner and Young.

The other thing too is that if they bring back the Jersey Flegg, CC Cup in 2021, we would then be able to see how the younger and other players go for the new coach to identify who to keep and what is needed in 2022.

TruSaint

Referee
If the coach is getting success then hopefully he will want to stay and see the job through.

If he isn’t getting success due to roster issues then hopefully we have the cash and the coach to attract the right player’s.

If the coach is diabolical and not the correct fit we need to get rid of him ASAP

So we need to have someone with real brains draft the contract so we don’t end up where we are now.

Whilst choosing the right coach is important having the correct contract might be even more so.

Part of our failure over the past decade , a large chunk, has come to to poor corporate governance and lack of acute business skills.

Mary and Pricey contracts and then extensions as exhibits a, and b.

Yes I agree that the contract itself is vital. It also adds pressure on the coach to either perform or expect to be sacked.

What does it have to do with that jackass Politis anyway?
If we made an offer to Fitzgibbon, any existing contract issues to deal with, they are for Craig to sort out with his current employer.
You would think we were dealing with a child and needed permission from the parents to talk to him.
Any other employer would be pleased that his people were being offered opportunities to progress their career.

In terms of contracts, if you try to induce someone to break one by offering a better contract, the party offering it can be liable to legal action. Also it wouldn't surprise me if it is an NRL requirement that talking to an assistant under contract you would need the permission of the club they are already contracted to. It is the case in relation to approaching players under contract.

borat

Bench

Furner was definitely chucked in too soon at Canberra. Would have been sacked a lot sooner too if not for his dad as CEO.

I can buy that he has learned his trade and is well regarded, but he also failed dismally at Leeds. Do we really want to give the head coaching role to a coach with zero success and plenty of losses.

Gareth67

First Grade
You all have rocks in your head ! There’s only one solution to this perplexing problem and we all know what the answer is .

Give the maestro a call , perhaps he won’t be as bad second time around ?

Furner was definitely chucked in too soon at Canberra. Would have been sacked a lot sooner too if not for his dad as CEO.

I can buy that he has learned his trade and is well regarded, but he also failed dismally at Leeds. Do we really want to give the head coaching role to a coach with zero success and plenty of losses.

Just a friendly reminder this is the Dragons forum and not the Melbourne Storm.
Yes we would 100% give it to a guy with a shithouse track record.