What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yelling at Clouds: Fox NRL is Overrated

saint.nick

Coach
Honestly, the current look and feel of this channel is just shit. It's camp, it's over the top and it's obnoxious. It tries to be American the same way Mary McGregor tries to be a football coach.

Just some of my gripes with it:

- Matt Nable's shitty cliche, Gus Gould-wannabe monologues. They oversell everything and the way he speaks is annoying.

- why the f**k do they make players stand around like buffoons and breakdance in a tv ad to sell a game? You're meant to be promoting these guys as hard as f**k gladiators

- what the f**k is with the mascot noises after a team scores? It's not basketball! Nobody wants to hear Jaws music or a Glory Glory phone ringtone after a team scores a penalty goal.

- the shit news bulletin music kind of music after a try

- the channel's obsession with tv personalities over proper sport broadcasting. Matty, Fletch and Hindy saturate the f**k out of this channel

Why do I give enough f**ks to make a post about it on a sunny Sunday arvo? Because it makes me take the game less seriously. I much preferred the old days of Fox Sport's NRL broadcasting, at least it have you a feeling of higher stakes.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Personally I love that I get betting rammed down my throat every time I turn on a fox nrl show. But hey gamble responsibly and don’t forget those who rely on you when your pissing away your wages!

nrlnrl

First Grade
Honestly, the current look and feel of this channel is just shit. It's camp, it's over the top and it's obnoxious. It tries to be American the same way Mary McGregor tries to be a football coach.

- Matt Nable's shitty cliche, Gus Gould-wannabe monologues. They oversell everything and the way he speaks is annoying.

- why the f**k do they make players stand around like buffoons and breakdance in a tv ad to sell a game? You're meant to be promoting these guys as hard as f**k gladiators

- what the f**k is with the mascot noises after a team scores? It's not basketball! Nobody wants to hear Jaws music or a Glory Glory phone ringtone after a team scores a penalty goal.

- the channel's obsession with tv personalities over proper sport broadcasting. Matty, Fletch and Hindy saturate the f**k out of this channel

Why do I give enough f**ks to make a post about it on a sunny Sunday arvo? Because it makes me take the game less seriously. I much preferred the old days of Fox Sport's NRL broadcasting, at least it have you a feeling of higher stakes.
Yeah, I prefer Channel 9.....

I agree, it’s as lame and tired as jokes about Mary McGregor

Nah the merkin can suffer

He couldn’t be happier right now, it’s the “fans” who keep punishing themselves by harping on it.

But on topic, I do agree with most of the sentiment of your post. There’s shows I won’t go near (eg league wrap, anything hosted by Yvonne Sampson basically) , others am a sucker to watch occasionally - NRL360. I also think that there is a cavernous hole in commentary talent - but across both networks. Voss, Smith, Ennis and ... Vautin are the only ones I enjoy listening to.. I don’t mind Gus. The rest are beige, if not a darker shade of brown.

The one show I really like, and annoyed it isn’t longer, is The Fan.

But further to that I reckon the annoyance levels are amplified depending on how shit your team is going. When things are great, it’s a minor annoyance. When things are shit, like they are for my team now, any coverage can be annoying deluxe.

So for you, you’d be wise to cancel your subscription for the next 2 years, save yourself some cash and save your sanity.

saint.nick

Coach
He couldn’t be happier right now, it’s the “fans” who keep punishing themselves by harping on it.

But on topic, I do agree with most of the sentiment of your post. There’s shows I won’t go near (eg league wrap, anything hosted by Yvonne Sampson basically) , others am a sucker to watch occasionally - NRL360. I also think that there is a cavernous hole in commentary talent - but across both networks. Voss, Smith, Ennis and ... Vautin are the only ones I enjoy listening to.. I don’t mind Gus. The rest are beige, if not a darker shade of brown.

The one show I really like, and annoyed it isn’t longer, is The Fan.

But further to that I reckon the annoyance levels are amplified depending on how shit your team is going. When things are great, it’s a minor annoyance. When things are shit, like they are for my team now, any coverage can be annoying deluxe.

So for you, you’d be wise to cancel your subscription for the next 2 years, save yourself some cash and save your sanity.
I see where you're coming from, but the post was humorously intended so you may be reading a bit too deeply into my mental state. I also can't just simply cancel my Kayo subscription with the amount of footy I watch.

In all seriousness I'm glad if Mary is happy, hopefully it's a cue to avoid first grade coaching again.

I do agree about the commentary, there is a real vacuum of talent. Nine's successor to Ray Warren, by the great man's standards, is dreadful. He has no presence whatsoever and doesn't have the ability to elevate great moments with his commentary. But I am surprised you omitted Ginnane, I think he's very good.

Warriors Fever

Juniors
Agree, they need new jingles. Does anyone remember the one from around 2005-2010? That got me excited for league.

Only good commentary is Waz and Vossy. They need to shake up the colour commentators as well, the fact that ennis is the least worst says a lot.

don’t mind the team sounds after points.

and they should get someone like Richard Roxburgh to do the monologues.
Preferably I dream of hearing Sean Beans rough Sheffield accent doing the pre game nrl. One can only dream.

mongoose

Coach
Yeah i don't get the Fox appreciation... sure its better than 9 but not by much.

Yvonne Sampson has obviously been directed to try and sensationalize everything. I love the guy but why is Mal Meninga on there? he offers nothing.

The Matt Nable promos are a little over the top... Anasta is terrible and doesn't even know the rules of the game. I am really not a fan of Voss's commentary either, he is self indulgent and annoying to listen to.

Perth Red

Post Whore
League Life was pretty good, just behind the Fan. The ladies were never afraid to ask hard questions of guests.
Matty Johns show and podcast is alright as light hearted occasional entertainment.
We are missing a couple of really good actual rugby league focused shows that take us behind the scenes and that show us rugby league news and activity from around Australia and the world.
Be great to see one that took the hot topics of the time and did some journalism, interviews, out of studio footage etc around them, a big ask for News ltd I know!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah i don't get the Fox appreciation... sure its better than 9 but not by much.

Yvonne Sampson has obviously been directed to try and sensationalize everything. I love the guy but why is Mal Meninga on there? he offers nothing.

The Matt Nable promos are a little over the top... Anasta is terrible and doesn't even know the rules of the game. I am really not a fan of Voss's commentary either, he is self indulgent and annoying to listen to.

At least Vossy is actually knowledgeable about the game, its history and whats happening beyond NSW in the world of RL. He could do with toning the commentary down a bit, he gets very excited at times lol.

I see where you're coming from, but the post was humorously intended so you may be reading a bit too deeply into my mental state. I also can't just simply cancel my Kayo subscription with the amount of footy I watch.

In all seriousness I'm glad if Mary is happy, hopefully it's a cue to avoid first grade coaching again.

I do agree about the commentary, there is a real vacuum of talent. Nine's successor to Ray Warren, by the great man's standards, is dreadful. He has no presence whatsoever and doesn't have the ability to elevate great moments with his commentary. But I am surprised you omitted Ginnane, I think he's very good.

All good mate, yeah I gathered that and my replies are intended the same.. lighthearted banter. God knows we need it after another blob of a season. Chin up, carry on!

League Life was pretty good, just behind the Fan. The ladies were never afraid to ask hard questions of guests.
Matty Johns show and podcast is alright as light hearted occasional entertainment.
We are missing a couple of really good actual rugby league focused shows that take us behind the scenes and that show us rugby league news and activity from around Australia and the world.
Be great to see one that took the hot topics of the time and did some journalism, interviews, out of studio footage etc around them, a big ask for News ltd I know!

Id like to see more docos on the game, surely there’s enough back catalogue material to get loads of quality docos out...

just not ones on the usual suspects that are interviewed all the time like Smith etc. or the 2015 gf. Nothing against them but we’ve had overload of this for enough seasons.

30 for 30 style stuff...