What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former League Commentators

davi

Juniors
Indeed it was volatile. Stemming from comments Voss had made about the Ray Warren statue which Ray Hadley went beserk about. Don’t think Warren had any issue...

Hadley n Voss both were at 9 at the time and Voss was finished up.

And well before that, Hadley and Voss had worked together in radio (think 2ue?) and Hadley had an issue with him back then also, can’t recall what.

Now both are gone from 9 and I think there’s more chance of Freddie Mercury joining the 9 commentary team than either of these two. And he’s been dead for decades.

It was reported NINE CEO David Gyngell who played a significant role in putting the statue together wasn't impressed with Andrew Voss comments either. It was also reported two years ago that Voss coming back at Nine was out of the question despite Voss interested in coming back.

There's also much speculation about the future of Fox Sports' Andrew Voss, who is off-contract. He's been linked to a possible return to Nine. The noise out of Fox Sports is he could be swapped with Nine's Mat Thompson. We're also told this isn't on the cards.

Voss will not be coming back to Nine, where he was understudy for many years under Ray Warren, at all.

You might recall Voss once sued 2GB leviathan and Nine caller Ray Hadley, who tore strips off Voss for criticising the statue erected of Warren in his home town of Junee.

Voss hired celebrity QC Stuart Littlemore, whose legal team subpoenaed private emails between Hadley and former Nine chief executive David Gyngell. The matter was settled on the steps of the court but it had a dire impact on Voss' career.

Hadley has just re-signed with Nine for three years. Gyngell is a non-executive director. So, no, Andrew Voss is not coming back to Nine, despite reports elsewhere that he wants back in.

Despite this, Voss' colleagues at Fox Sports fear he is out of favour and might not be renewed. Which is a shame because he is a very good caller.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ch...new-life-into-footy-show-20171019-gz3spg.html

Patorick

Staff member
Think it's just a personality clash.

Some people just don't get along with certain types of people.

Patorick

Staff member
It did happen, but I'm pretty certain it was Mark Geyer and Matthew Johns. I remember them talking about it on the now axed show The Sunday Roast. I remember Ben Ikin on Nine as a panelist (The Sunday Footy show etc), but I don't remember him ever working there as a commentator.

The Sunday Roast was an awesome show. And it was so much better when they had an hour of The Sunday Footy show and then an hour of The Sunday Roast. Apparently Nine decided to scrap the show when Andrew Voss departed Nine which led them to incorporate the show into The Sunday Footy Show as a shorter segment rather than airing it as a separate show. They eventually axed the segment completely.

I agree with the sentiment I wish Andrew Voss was back at Nine. Apparently Voss and Nine didn't leave on the best terms so it may not ever happen.

https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/threads/vossy-has-food-poisoning-no-second-half-call.178675/

Geyer and Ikin.

#unforgettable

Vee

First Grade
As per the Thread Title, I grew up in Qld country in the 70s with only the ABC BRL Game of the Week 1 hour highlights show on Sunday arv.

Arthur Denovan was the ball-by-ball commentator, always paired with either Cyril Connell or Johnny Brown.

Years later, I met and became mates with Cyril Connell and later still, he introduced to me to Arthur Denovan at a Broncos pre-season launch.

These guys were the voice of football in the bush when I was growing up and I was absolutely starstruck. Broncos Origin and Test stars all around me that night and all I wanted to do was talk to these two.