What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Captains challenge

unforgiven

Bench
Why not? It went to the bunker and they cleared it. Can't see why it'd matter if it was the ref or Gal who sent it up.

Because it wouldn't have been sent up, a call that close would not be sent up by a captain. Plus the ref in all likelihood stops play as soon as the flag goes up as he now can not wait for the try to be scored as he no longer has that crutch. Refs are going to call my plays in general instead of waiting for the try to be scored and using the video.

unforgiven

Bench
If you are only using the bunker under a limited captains challenge system (e.g. 2 incorrect per half), I see no reason why it can’t be used on any decision.

There are bad calls in general play that can influence a game.

I’d have liked a captain’s challenge on the dropout on Thursday night, when Moylan got penalised but it was more Roberts involvement that caused Isaako to be upended.

I just want as little stoppages as possible in the game. Probably a personal preference on my part.

Reactions: Vee

Vee

First Grade
I just want as little stoppages as possible in the game. Probably a personal preference on my part.
Agreed. Start by cutting scrums and goal line dropouts by 5 seconds each until teams get used to it, then by another 5 secs and so on until players stop standing around using the clock to catch their breath.

Secondly, game doesn't stop for injury unless the trainer asks the ref or the player is in the line of fire, after which the player has the rest of the set on the sideline getting his injury assessed and treated and the side is a man down.

damoocow

Juniors
Has there ever beem a successful challenge based on an incorrect scrum feed (into the second row), or incorrect play the ball (just rolling it back)?

unforgiven

Bench
Has there ever beem a successful challenge based on an incorrect scrum feed (into the second row), or incorrect play the ball (just rolling it back)?
They are unchallengable because there needs to be a stoppage in play to challenge.

Perth Red

Post Whore
After watching the excitement of try after try being destroyed by going to the vr I reckon each team gets 2 challenges and ref can’t call for vr at all. Refs have become afraid to make a try call and go to vr unless 100% obvious. It kills the buzz of scoring. Need to remember nrl is fundamentally an entertainment business.

unforgiven

Bench
After watching the excitement of try after try being destroyed by going to the vr I reckon each team gets 2 challenges and ref can’t call for vr at all. Refs have become afraid to make a try call and go to vr unless 100% obvious. It kills the buzz of scoring. Need to remember nrl is fundamentally an entertainment business.
Ive wanted that for years, refs just ref the game leave referrals up to the players.

myrrh ken

First Grade

I'd rather they get it right. Sometimes refs do heaps more howlers than 4 per game.

Reactions: Vee

Chook Norris

First Grade
Yes, agree. I understand this is currently being looked at as an option too

siv

First Grade

Only use Video referees for corner post decisions. And bring back the in-goal touch judges

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'd rather they get it right. Sometimes refs do heaps more howlers than 4 per game.

alongside it They need to convince tv not to forensically examine everything in a try build up, half the problem is the super slo mo super close up that shows the slightest error. Let the game flow, except refs are humans and mistakes like players and celebrate tries like they’re lotto wins, it’s why we watch the game!

Vee

First Grade
Sorry, i meant to clarify if a try was scored directly after the rule breach.
Had that scenario when Cronulla scored after Fifita rolled the ball back. They didn't challenge but I posted at the time it would have been interesting if they had.

myrrh ken

First Grade
alongside it They need to convince tv not to forensically examine everything in a try build up, half the problem is the super slo mo super close up that shows the slightest error. Let the game flow, except refs are humans and mistakes like players and celebrate tries like they’re lotto wins, it’s why we watch the game!

No I'd still rather they get it right. Super slo mo is fine, video refs just need to be trained on interpretation.

Removing info from the refs doesn't seem like the way forward. Maybe the video refs should be given a time limit to decide.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No I'd still rather they get it right. Super slo mo is fine, video refs just need to be trained on interpretation.

Removing info from the refs doesn't seem like the way forward. Maybe the video refs should be given a time limit to decide.

Each to their own, Id rather be entertained than be 100% accurate, which we aren't anyway.

They were given a time limit or at least told to speed it up, its why the NRL splashed out on the bunker. Before the bunker they were taking forever to make a call, it seems this year they are slipping back again.
One thing that would speed it up is if the VR actually only checks what the ref has asked for instead of going back through the entire play. Ref says check grounding and the VR checks everything since last play of ball.
Realistically its only a problem because of TV. Remember the old days when only way to see a game was to go to the ground and then you'd spend all game calling the ref and afterwards telling everyone how he cost you the game, even though you didnt really know if he was right or not? The good old days :)
Interestingly with the 6 again call instead of penalty it has taken away TV's ability to scrutinise the penalties and everyone is none the wiser now, we just get on with it.