What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Inisai Toga

Juniors
He would have been a far better centre or 5/8 than Aitken and Norman.
Interesting point you make FCD.
Millward did well (I feel) to recruit Mann as a utility player from the Storm. He had a tough first game at fullback against Sharks and we then brushed him and he never really found his feat despite some solid cameos from the bench.

Point being, better ‘coaching‘ may have provided quicker development of this player to compliment the smart recruiting here, resulting in a) better option in the centre position and b) no needed to buy costly replacement when Widdop left.

History lesson now.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
He's my hero’: McGregor opens up on caring for ailing dad after Dragons exit
Danny Weidler
August 30, 2020 — 12.01am
Leave a comment

At a time when everyone is asking why anyone would want to be an NRL coach, Paul McGregor, the man who endured years of abuse and criticism during his tenure at the Dragons, says he has “unfinished business” in the area.

He wants to coach again – even as an assistant – when the opportunity presents itself. But right now he has another priority: caring for his dad, Frank, who is battling an aggressive form of dementia.

f5834c6f74bcd99239c50e789dcd860cb95ded83

Paul McGregor and his father Frank.

“That photo [above, inset] was taken the morning after I left the club,” McGregor said.

Because of COVID-19 and the bubble, it was the first time he had been able to see his father in three months.

“I told Dad when I walked in that morning what had happened [leaving the Dragons],’’ McGregor said. ‘‘I just said to him, ‘Dad, I’m not the coach any more’. It registered with him, but then 10 minutes later he was asking me who we were playing that week. They told me the night before he saw it on the news and he became quite agitated and they had to settle him down. It’s not easy, but it’s life.

'I owe him and mum so much. But he was the one who drove my football career.'

Paul McGregor
‘‘We lost mum in 2017 and it was my turn to be with him. My sister Joanne has been looking after him when I couldn’t. I needed to see him. I owe him and Mum so much. But he was the one who drove my football career. He was a great footballer in his own right, a centre. They talk about him whenever I head back home [to Muswellbrook].

‘‘He isn’t just my dad. He was my hero growing up and still is.”

McGregor reflected on his time with St George Illawarra and knew he couldn’t make things better when he lost the power to be the sole selector of his teams. He said the constant criticism from commentators and fans didn’t really affect him.

“Because they were not the people I was seeking my advice from,’’ he said. ‘‘You get hardened to all of that when you spend your life in football. It was always there as an elite player and then as a coach. I kept my home and work life separate. But I suppose all of that was harder on my family than me.”

And he is not scared or scarred by his experience in the NRL.

“I’ve got unfinished business in football,” he said. “I’ve got discipline and a work ethic that needs to be around football and in that environment. I want to work as a coach again. When? I have not thought about that. Right now I’m taking care of family and that’s something I want and need to do. If the opportunity comes up I know I’ll be ready.”

Red V still want Fitzy
He may have knocked them back, but there’s no question the coach the Dragons still want is Craig Fitzgibbon. Wayne Bennett and Anthony Griffin get mentioned by Dragons insiders, but the forward thinkers say ‘‘Fitzy’’ is their future. He is still priority No.1 among the Dragons hierarchy.

Fitzgibbon was the first choice for the Warriors job. The Cowboys wanted him, too. Despite the knockbacks, the Dragons are adamant he is their future. He’s got the club in his bloodlines and it would be a great story: 'the local boy returns' has a good feeling to it.

The problem for the Dragons is, unlike many in rugby league, Fitzgibbon is a man of his word.

4c764d0c2bfa39ef1b9fcee490294fb5b47ab0bd

Roosters assistant coach Craig Fitzgibbon, right, with Boyd Cordner.Credit:Getty

Earning a good salary – believed to be $350,000 a year – it’s not likely Fitzgibbon will be approaching Roosters supremo Nick Politis to ask if he can leave. The only way it’s going to happen is if the Dragons can make it happen.

New Dragons chief executive Ryan Webb doesn’t have a relationship with Politis, so maybe a board member like Peter Doust will need to step in. Either that or an intermediary will need to be found.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/he...g-dad-after-dragons-exit-20200829-p55qkd.html
I have to say I'm a little troubled by this article. Did McGregor agree to an interview with Weidler that would drag his family into a public media soap opera?

I genuinely feel sorry for his dad and the loss of his mum. Many of us know this feeling, including myself and my better half. We are no different to anyone.

There's so many questionable points in the article but that's the nature of drama. Blaming the fans is a classic.

Meanwhile, Cronulla were belted today. In his presser, coach John Morris apologised to the fans.

Has McGregor ever apologised to the Club's greatest stakeholders?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Has McGregor ever apologised to the Club's greatest stakeholders?
Yes..

He borrowed my JetSki a few years back, and when he returned it he said sorry for not refilling the fuel tank.

Empty words though at the end of the day.. This was back when fuel prices were sky high.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Yes..

He borrowed my JetSki a few years back, and when he returned it he said sorry for not refilling the fuel tank.

Empty words though at the end of the day.. This was back when fuel prices were sky high.
Seriously, how many people in Melbourne actually use a JetSki?

Here in anti-covid land it's t-shirts and shorts. What's the temperature in the purple state?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Seriously, how many people in Melbourne actually use a JetSki?

Here in anti-covid land it's t-shirts and shorts. What's the temperature in the purple state?
There are a surprising number around.. Port Phillip bay, the Gippsland lakes & lake eildon are great spots for an obnoxious stint of jetskiing..

Were 18 degrees today down here..

I’ve got a tank top & shorts on, complaining about the heat..

Willow

Assistant Moderator
There are a surprising number around.. Port Phillip bay, the Gippsland lakes & lake eildon are great spots for an obnoxious stint of jetskiing..

Were 18 degrees today down here..

I’ve got a tank top & shorts on, complaining about the heat..
18 degrees was the max temp?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I know..

Global warming in full effect..
I have made many visits to Melbourne and lived there for six months in the 1980s.

It was a November morning when my feet hit a cold lino floor that I decided to move back north. That, and finding that any RL coverage was impossible.

I still have many of the same friends in Melbourne Good folk... but shit weather, AFL zombies.

thebigredv

First Grade
Good bye and take the COVID effect disaster you have left us with you maggot

0 top 4 finishes since Bennett left
A measly 2 top 8 finishes since Bennett left
7 out of 9 times finishing in the bottom half of the comp since Bennett left

Griffin is no Bennett. I'm not incredibly confident that he will necessarily have us in the top 4 right away, but that should be our next goal. I feel as if he is confident in his ability. His coaching statistics tell us we are in at least for some improvement. Can't argue too much with the club's decision.

Mary withdrawal is a bit like coming down after a really bad meth induced psychotic episode.

The giant four headed lizard who usually lives across the road and eats stray garden gnomes turns out to be an old electrical substation.

It’s like seeing the world for the first time.

Some of the younger kids have never lived without Mary as head coach. They will need special counselling as they adjust to happiness and a world without excuses.

Latest posts